- - - - -

Top 10 Italian F1 Drivers

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 hittheapex

hittheapex

• 1,193 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 17:03

Hello again, thanks to everybody who has been taking part so far. Next we go to Italy, home of the most successful team but not the most successful when it comes to drivers. See how many potential world champions feature on this list:

1. Alberto Ascari

2. Elio de Angelis

3. Giuseppe Farina

4. Ludovico Scarfiotti

5. Pierluigi Martini

6. Alessandro Nannini

7. Michele Alboreto

8. Luigi Fagioli (down to 8th after considering some good points by multiple posters)

9. Stefano Modena (down to 9th after some good points raised in the debate).

10. Vittorio Brambilla

I've been enjoying the debates so far, let's keep it going. :up:

Edited by hittheapex, 19 December 2018 - 12:47.

Advertisement

#2 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,220 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 17:17

Ha, interesting list, I rate Modena and Martini as underrated 80/90s midfielders, but VERY bold to put them ahead of Nannini and Alboreto! Bold to put de Angelis ahead of world champion Farina too, but possibly fair. Trulli and Fisichella quite possibly deserve mentions too. I'll do my list later, this is a difficult one with lots of drivers around the same level..

And did you forget Riccardo Patrese?

Edited by noikeee, 15 December 2018 - 17:17.

#3 DS27

DS27

• 4,687 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 17:24

Has there been a debate on here anyone can link to (I have never found one) about why Italy has produced so few F1 drivers over the last few decades. it's something that has always surprised me.

#4 hittheapex

hittheapex

• 1,193 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 17:30

Ha, interesting list, I rate Modena and Martini as underrated 80/90s midfielders, but VERY bold to put them ahead of Nannini and Alboreto! Bold to put de Angelis ahead of world champion Farina too, but possibly fair. Trulli and Fisichella quite possibly deserve mentions too. I'll do my list later, this is a difficult one with lots of drivers around the same level..

And did you forget Riccardo Patrese?

Who? :p  No, I didn't. Yes, I think this thread is going to produce a lot of different lists.

#5 hittheapex

hittheapex

• 1,193 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 17:38

Has there been a debate on here anyone can link to (I have never found one) about why Italy has produced so few F1 drivers over the last few decades. it's something that has always surprised me.

It's an interesting one. The best era for Italian drivers was the 1950s in my opinion. Even with all the tobacco money around in the 1970s and 1980s, the glut of Italian drivers that featured on the F1 grids didn't produce a world champion, though Alboreto came close. Conversely, we have Finland that has produced a fraction of the drivers but has produced more world champions.

#6 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,233 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 17:43

Jarmo Trulli is in my top 10 for his amazing defensive capabilities, that heartthrob mullet, and of course the innumerable number of times I imitated the way his engineer would say his name.

Jaarno...

#7 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,995 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 18:16

They actually produced loads.  But they were mostly grid-fillers or DNQers (think Gimax, Colombo, Gabbiani, Paletti :( , Montermini, Brancatelli, Stohr).  It seemed more of a surprise that any Italian anywhere near the sharp end of F2 or F3 never got a chance - the most egregious example being Maurizio Flammini. 

I think it's down to the number of British teams that were around, which proved a magnet to the Anglophone world, but also Latin America.  If an Italian was going to buy a ride, there were Italian teams that would take their lire.

#8 DS27

DS27

• 4,687 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 19:33

They actually produced loads.  But they were mostly grid-fillers or DNQers

Good point. I was thinking more of quality drivers, but granted I didn't state that in my post. Anyway, I didn't intend to derail the thread from its original topic, so apologies to the OP for that.

#9 noriaki

noriaki

• 2,045 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 19:48

All 4 wheel racing

Nuvolari

Ascari jr

Varzi

Nazzaro

Ascari sr

Farina

Zanardi

Fagioli

Biasion

Campari

WDC performances only (turned out to be more difficult though, given the sheer amount of "nearly"-men Italy has produced!)

Ascari jr

Farina

de Angelis

Alboreto

Patrese

Trulli

Fisichella

Castellotti

Bandini

Musso

An overly simplified explanation I hear is that Italians consider that in car racing, the car is the hero (at least post Fifties).

But in motorcycle racing, the rider is still the hero. Hence the great Italian racers since that have almost exclusively been motorcycle racers. 

---

Also, @hittheapex, Fagioli placed 4th makes me confused of your desired criteria again. You surely have to be considering his pre-WDC achievements if you rank him so high, because he was *always* trailing Farina and Fangio in 1950-51 (as in, he never once beat either of them on track fairly).

Which would be fair enough. But then you should have been considering Stuck, and especially Lang, as contenders for the German list too!

#10 ForzaSurtees

ForzaSurtees

• 31 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 19:59

1. Alberto Ascari
2. Giuseppe Farina
3. Luigi Fagioli
4. Elio de Angelis
5. Riccardo Patrese
6. Michele Alboreto
7. Alessandro Nannini
8. Giancarlo Fisichella
9. Jarno Trulli
10. Ivan Capelli

#11 Regazzoni

Regazzoni

• 2,612 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 21:17

For once I agree with Ensign, and would like to expand a bit what I think.

The reasons there have been no Italian world champions is specular to the fact there have been ten or so British world champions in the same time frame.

It is clear there is a direct relation between the backing coming up the ranks and then, crucially, the competitive rides available at the top level. This explains, also, why there have been so many great performers from Italy and Germany between the wars, and not from other countries: that is not independent from where the successful race car manufacturers of the era came from.

The rides available to the top British talent were cars capable to land world championships, in a time when almost all of them were British-based. The only Italian marque at that level – and still for long periods struggling to keep up to the new paradigm – was Ferrari who eventually declined altogether, for reasons not always linked to the quality available and by necessity (only two cars against all the rest of the grid), to rely on the local talent. In the end, the presence of the great F1 marque as national team, was a chimera that set back more than one promising career, that in a different context could have produced more results.

That also explains why, for example, despite the huge investment of Elf in the late Sixties and through the Seventies, a posse of talented drivers produced only a world champion, and not by chance an outstanding one at that, and crucially not on a French car: there were no world championship-material French cars on the grid available who could lead any of those drivers to the ultimate prize.

That also explains that when the sport’s centre of gravity started slightly to change, we saw finally the emergence of top talent from Germany: Schumacher from Mercedes, then through a multinational team (English-based, Italian financed and managed – Benetton/Briatore - thus a bit more culturally open than a fully English team) succeeded; Vettel, from the BMW junior team to the Austrian-financed and led (Marko) Red Bull.

That also explain, in my view, why a driver who in his second (and first full) F1 season could fight it out at the sharp end for then going through all that he went through after Monza 1978. Had he been British, I seriously doubt there would have been Hunt’s witch hunt, and he would have had a different treatment on the media – British first, of the country that provided the rides that mattered. That clearly changed Patrese’s career dynamics, in my view. When he went to Brabham - four years later - his mental ‘momentum’ had gone, besides all other issues related to the context.

Italy had a good renaissance of talent in the second half of the Seventies. IMHO, a couple of drivers among Patrese, Giacomelli, De Angelis and Alboreto, had they born with a British passport, could likely have landed a championship, not all-time greats perhaps (very few are) but still capable to do the job. Fisichella was quicker than Button, but it’s Button who had a championship ride in the end, after people (British) had long been querying whether he would ever finally made it.

Brazilian and Finns, to mention two nationalities that have been successful, didn’t have the distraction of a national race car industry, they had the hunger to achieve in an hostile environment that were not theirs from the start: that mental attitude produced some outstanding achievers. A mental attitude that often Italian drivers did not have, exactly because coming from Italy. The one that really got away was Zanardi.

Only want to mention, in the end, that I was huge fan of Alberto Colombo da Varedo, very dignified F2 privateer, and I respected Sigi Stohr, very talented at F3 and F2 level (ask Rory Byrne), but perhaps in the end too brainy for his own good to succeed where it mattered.

#12 messy

messy

• 7,498 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 21:24

1. Alberto Ascari
2. Giuseppe Farina
3. Riccardo Patrese
4. Elio De Angelis
5. Michele Alboreto
6. Luigi Fagioli
7. Giancarlo Fisichella
8. Alessandro Nannini
9. Jarno Trulli
10. Pierluigi Martini

#13 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 21:39

Hello again, thanks to everybody who has been taking part so far. Next we go to Italy, home of the most successful team but not the most successful when it comes to drivers. See how many potential world champions feature on this list:

1. Alberto Ascari

2. Elio de Angelis

3. Giuseppe Farina

4. Luigi Fagioli

5. Ludovico Scarfiotti

6. Stefano Modena

7. Pierluigi Martini

8. Alessandro Nannini

9. Michele Alboreto

10. Vittorio Brambilla

I've been enjoying the debates so far, let's keep it going. :up:

Both Modena and Martini have no place here and nobody who followed motorsport in the sixties would place Scarfiotti above Bandini. 

It's pretty clear who should be #1 but the next 7 or so places are surely debatable. I'm certainly not sure myself in what order I would place them at all....

1. Ascari

2. Farina

Alboreto

de Angelis

Patrese

Musso

Castelotti

Nannini

9. Trulli

Fisichella

Bandini

Villoresi

Taruffi

Fagioli

Something like that....

Edited by scheivlak, 15 December 2018 - 21:40.

#14 chrisj

chrisj

• 1,000 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 01:39

1. Ascari

2. Farina

3. Alboreto

4. de Angelis

5. Giacomelli

6. Bandini

7. Patrese

8. Fisichella

9. Merzario

10. Teo Fabi

#15 hittheapex

hittheapex

• 1,193 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 07:07

All 4 wheel racing

Nuvolari

Ascari jr

Varzi

Nazzaro

Ascari sr

Farina

Zanardi

Fagioli

Biasion

Campari

WDC performances only (turned out to be more difficult though, given the sheer amount of "nearly"-men Italy has produced!)

Ascari jr

Farina

de Angelis

Alboreto

Patrese

Trulli

Fisichella

Castellotti

Bandini

Musso

An overly simplified explanation I hear is that Italians consider that in car racing, the car is the hero (at least post Fifties).

But in motorcycle racing, the rider is still the hero. Hence the great Italian racers since that have almost exclusively been motorcycle racers. 

---

Also, @hittheapex, Fagioli placed 4th makes me confused of your desired criteria again. You surely have to be considering his pre-WDC achievements if you rank him so high, because he was *always* trailing Farina and Fangio in 1950-51 (as in, he never once beat either of them on track fairly).

Which would be fair enough. But then you should have been considering Stuck, and especially Lang, as contenders for the German list too!

I only considered his 1950-1 results. You are right, he trailed Farina and Fangio on track but he was best of the rest behind them in 1950, albeit with the best car. Hmm but then that arguably puts him behind Alboreto....

Edited by hittheapex, 16 December 2018 - 07:21.

#16 hittheapex

hittheapex

• 1,193 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 07:17

Both Modena and Martini have no place here and nobody who followed motorsport in the sixties would place Scarfiotti above Bandini. 

It's pretty clear who should be #1 but the next 7 or so places are surely debatable. I'm certainly not sure myself in what order I would place them at all....

I'd argue that Modena was at least as good as Brundle, and he trounced Nakajima. Martini had a strong season against Alboreto when they were teammates. Bandini finished ahead of Scarfiotti in the single race where both finished, on the other hand Scarfiotti outqualified Bandini 3-1.

#17 Taxi

Taxi

• 4,805 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 10:25

Ascari, of course. Then Farina. After that Italy never produced a class leading driver. Alboreto was the next big promisse, but i rate de Angelis a bit better as he was talented enough to give Senna a good run for his money. Sadly death cut short his career. Nannini was the next promisse, more or less matching Nelson Piquet in 1990 Benetton. And then... another tragedy. Modena and Cappelli were good in midfield cars and crasy fast ... sometimes. Modena was a mysterious rebel, and Capelli got destroied by Ferrari/Alesi in that horrendous 1992 car. In between Italy had some other decent midfield drivers like Martini, Tarquini, Pirro, de Cesaris, Larini and Morbidelli who would shine but never set the world on fire. 

So next stop: Giancarlo Fisichella  and Jarno Trulli. future champs. Fast and exciting. Giancarlo was the first to realy impress in 1997 and managed to keep a good reputation until 2005. after that he didn't live to the expectations against Alonso, Kovalainen and Raikkonen. Lacked winner mentality. Trulli was faster and faced Alonso much better even beating him in 2004 against his own team. He had decent career after that at Toyota. Lets see what Giovanazzi will bring. He seems quite talented. 

Edited by Taxi, 16 December 2018 - 12:43.

#18 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 10:26

I'd argue that Modena was at least as good as Brundle, and he trounced Nakajima. Martini had a strong season against Alboreto when they were teammates. Bandini finished ahead of Scarfiotti in the single race where both finished, on the other hand Scarfiotti outqualified Bandini 3-1.

For many years Bandini and Scarfiotti were teammates at Ferrari. Enzo invariably chose Bandini over Scarfiotti when he had to choose who should be driving his F1 cars and Scarfiotti only got a chance when he entered a third car. That should tell you something.

#19 kapow

kapow

• 934 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 10:28

Should Andretti be considered for this?

Advertisement

#20 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 10:43

I launched thread here - https://forums.autos...ts/?hl= italian - in TNF some 11 years ago that you might find to be of some interest.

#21 Francesc

Francesc

• 5,026 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 10:48

De Cesaris should be on the top ten. He was a crasher but very fast.

#22 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,657 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 11:03

Should Andretti be considered for this?

In which year did he become an American citizen?

#23 Regazzoni

Regazzoni

• 2,612 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 11:15

Andretti is an American driver, although in some twits this year he tried to claim his 'Italianness' as a driver, rebuffed by a journalist of the Gazzetta.

By the way he always refers to "Montona, Italy", still until a couple a months ago when he went there to shoot a documentary for NBC to be shown next year, one senses he is still an Italian patriot at heart.

#24 hittheapex

hittheapex

• 1,193 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 11:17

De Cesaris should be on the top ten. He was a crasher but very fast.

Capable of some very good performances, especially later in his career, but in the top 10? I'm not sure. I suppose if it was a 10 fastest Italian drivers he might have a better shot, as would Giacomelli.

#25 hittheapex

hittheapex

• 1,193 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 11:19

Good point. I was thinking more of quality drivers, but granted I didn't state that in my post. Anyway, I didn't intend to derail the thread from its original topic, so apologies to the OP for that.

No worries, I had brought it up myself in the OP to be fair.

#26 noriaki

noriaki

• 2,045 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 11:26

Modena is a difficult rate I agree, had some very broght points as well, but are you seriously only looking at 1994 when judging Alboreto? Especially as you seem to ignore Modena's 1992.

There were two different versions of Michele, pre and post 1985, so it's surely unfair to rate him just based on his last year. Michele was brilliant in the Tyrrells and truly challenged Prost in '85. Imagine if Alboreto had had de Angelis' accident in 1986 instead - what would their respective legacies be now?

Scarfiotti's lone WDC victory was at the high speed Monza with a tremendous car advantage and Parkes & Baghetti as his lone intra team rivals. And Fagioli in the Alfa was the equivalent of a "new" GPWC championship starting from 2016, with Mercedes hiring Mika Hakkinen for their third car that year (despite his 14 year break from racing). Naturally Hakkinen would have been a second off the pace of Nico and Lewis (Fagioli was almost invariably even further behind than that - though the gaps of the era were generally larger too, but still), however he would collect some podiums every race anyhow because the RB's and Ferraris were usually even further off than that. Regardless of the podiums, Merc would hire a new guy for 2017 instead.

So in 2084, after decades of denial from GPWC's side that anything happened before 2016, people would finally be contitioned to the situation & only look at Mika's sorry 2016 season when judging his career and say "eh, that Finn had some good results in GPWC didn't he?"

Edited by noriaki, 16 December 2018 - 11:30.

#27 kapow

kapow

• 934 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 11:47

In which year did he become an American citizen?

Did he stop being an Italian citizen?

#28 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 12:05

De Cesaris should be above Martini and Modena, absolutely.

His results were better, and he has a pole position.

#29 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,657 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 12:07

I don't know - but if a driver is only allowed to appear on one list then Mario should be saved for the USA list.

#30 Taxi

Taxi

• 4,805 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 12:45

I don't know - but if a driver is only allowed to appear on one list then Mario should be saved for the USA list.

Yep. And he's a got a reserved place there. First. 

#31 Andy35

Andy35

• 4,823 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 13:19

This is like listing the top 10 Italian tanks of WW2.

I am sure half of the "people" listed above were created using an online anagram generator.

OK,  I will rise to the challenge

1.  Nigel  Cuor di Leone  Mansell.

2. Mario Andretti

ok, now struggling.  

Andy 

#32 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 14:10

This is like listing the top 10 Italian tanks of WW2.

I am sure half of the "people" listed above were created using an online anagram generator.

OK,  I will rise to the challenge

1.  Nigel  Cuor di Leone  Mansell.

2. Mario Andretti

ok, now struggling.  

Andy 

OK, if there's a list for Italian-ish F1 drivers... 

1-Mansell

2-Andretti

3-Rosberg

4-Ricciardo 

5-Irvine

6-Alesi 

7-Kubica 

8-Di Resta

9-Bianchi

10-Byrne 

#33 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,543 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 14:41

He'd be a bit lonely on the Croatian list.

#34 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 4,149 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 15:01

OK, if there's a list for Italian-ish F1 drivers... 

1-Mansell

2-Andretti

3-Rosberg

4-Ricciardo 

5-Irvine

6-Alesi 

7-Kubica 

8-Di Resta

9-Bianchi

10-Byrne 

haha

I was exactly thinking about the great italian drivers Daniele Ricciardo, Paulo Di Resta, Giulio BIanchi, Dario Franchitti, Rubeno Barrichello, Luca Di Grassi, Emersonio Fittipaldi, Clay Regazzoni...

Edited by NixxxoN, 16 December 2018 - 19:46.

#35 Regazzoni

Regazzoni

• 2,612 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 15:15

No, never stopped being. Dual citizenship.

#36 Regazzoni

Regazzoni

• 2,612 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 15:25

Ricciardo is an interesting one. He's and feels 100% an Aussie, of course, and I don't know whether he's got Italian citizenship (he well might, as his father has), but as far as blood he's 100% Italian stock, like Mario.

#37 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,657 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 15:35

I sense that the Italians want Mario to be Italian enough to count as one of them, but not so Italian that they have to take Michael too.

#38 Regazzoni

Regazzoni

• 2,612 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 15:47

LOL.

Mario is Italian all right, speaks and thinks like one, no doubt, but the children (and Marco, who's got Italian blood from his mother's side too) are full American. Always thought they would struggle to find the old country on the map.

#39 Regazzoni

Regazzoni

• 2,612 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 15:59

Another ex-driver 100% Italian stock, in fact Sicilian - and, to his credit, quite proud of it - is Monsieur Giovanni Alesi.

Advertisement

#40 noriaki

noriaki

• 2,045 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 16:13

Another ex-driver 100% Italian stock, in fact Sicilian - and, to his credit, quite proud of it - is Monsieur Giovanni Alesi.

As was señor Fangio.

#41 Regazzoni

Regazzoni

• 2,612 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 16:25

Indeed. Señor Fangio was Abruzzese like yours truly, my grandmother came from the same town as his father (if wikipedia is right).

#42 hittheapex

hittheapex

• 1,193 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 16:28

Modena is a difficult rate I agree, had some very broght points as well, but are you seriously only looking at 1994 when judging Alboreto? Especially as you seem to ignore Modena's 1992.

There were two different versions of Michele, pre and post 1985, so it's surely unfair to rate him just based on his last year. Michele was brilliant in the Tyrrells and truly challenged Prost in '85. Imagine if Alboreto had had de Angelis' accident in 1986 instead - what would their respective legacies be now?

Scarfiotti's lone WDC victory was at the high speed Monza with a tremendous car advantage and Parkes & Baghetti as his lone intra team rivals. And Fagioli in the Alfa was the equivalent of a "new" GPWC championship starting from 2016, with Mercedes hiring Mika Hakkinen for their third car that year (despite his 14 year break from racing). Naturally Hakkinen would have been a second off the pace of Nico and Lewis (Fagioli was almost invariably even further behind than that - though the gaps of the era were generally larger too, but still), however he would collect some podiums every race anyhow because the RB's and Ferraris were usually even further off than that. Regardless of the podiums, Merc would hire a new guy for 2017 instead.

So in 2084, after decades of denial from GPWC's side that anything happened before 2016, people would finally be contitioned to the situation & only look at Mika's sorry 2016 season when judging his career and say "eh, that Finn had some good results in GPWC didn't he?"

No, I just think the others didn't have the same equipment available and maybe could have done the same. It's certainly some guesswork on my part because there are some drivers, such as Fisichella, who tended to show their best in middling equipment and seemed not to be able to always perform at their best when running at the front. Believe me it's not just based on 1994. I'll never forget his Monaco drive from 1985.

#43 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 17:26

I don't think Farina is as clearcut choice into P2 as seems to be indicated. He was already 44 and past it, when he won the title and only due to Fangio's retirements. To be fair, Farina probably lost his peak years to war, while already in 1939 he seemed very impressive, when he was occasionally troubling the Mercedes and Auto Unions in his Alfa Romeo on twisty circuits. But we here obviously are rating anything from 1950 onwards, not what was before. 

The same applies even more to Fagioli, whose peak was in 1930's, while based on WDC appearances he wouldn't make it into top 10. 

Generally the choice after Ascari is quite hard. Would need to think about it.

#44 Regazzoni

Regazzoni

• 2,612 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 18:11

I don’t have a list, of the ones I followed in my time, 1978 Patrese was the best, and always suspected Giacomelli was even better but lacked the self-confidence to assert himself. In the end, both didn’t have their breaks at the right time - Bruno never had his anyway.

I confess I always overlooked both De Angelis and Alboreto, in hindsight I was probably wrong, but not by that much. Alboreto of the first half of the ‘80s was possibly the better of the two.

I loathed De Cesaris at the time, he clearly had the skill, was quick, but thought he didn’t have the brains. In hindsight, perhaps that judgement is too harsh. He was thrown at the deep end in a seriously hostile environment towards himself – when both Ron Dennis and John Barnard don’t have the slightest of time for you who are a rookie, have a personal dislike, there is nowhere to go, the pressure is on day in day out. He never recovered from that, put an Alfa on pole but then was found wasting time arguing with the lapped backmarkers, not the sign of a champion. At that level, with skills pretty much equivalent (not the same), the mental game is key – see Mansell after Lotus.

I don’t think Nannini belongs to the same level as the four above (Patrese, Giacomelli, De Angelis, Alboreto), he improved and got better with time, but for the little I may know I don’t think he was a natural like those. Didn’t look like one in F2, where I saw him race.

Can’t say much about Bandini, it seems he was similar to Nannini in the fact he worked hard to improve and get to the front, but probably couldn’t sustain it. Likewise of the Fifties, it seems Castellotti had talent, probably more than Musso.

Vittorio Brambilla was very good, a natural too, but got to F1 far too late to make a meaningful impact. However, he hugely deserved his GP win.

Merzario did quite well on his debut during one of the worst Ferrari periods – sixth the first race, then two fourth places within his first five F1 races – but I don’t think he was at Vittorio’s level.

I saw Modena racing in karts at the Pista d’Oro, just outside Rome, in the early ‘80s. The talk in the paddock was already that he would have gotten to F1 and then to the very top. But I did not follow his F1 career to pass judgement.

Likewise, Trulli and Fisichella (whom I saw as a very young kid in minikarts, 50cc, at the same Pista d’Oro). They both seemed to have the talent but not the personality and substance.

I have never seen an Italian winning the championship, would really love to see one, and I do suspect I never will (but do hope to make it in time to see the fifth star on the maglia azzurra…). The way the sport is today, that will happen only if the guy will be truly outstanding, multiple championship winner, a Valentino Rossi on four wheels. History tells that it will happen only that way. Very good won’t be enough for an Italian.

#45 Regazzoni

Regazzoni

• 2,612 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 18:25

Forgot about Zanardi.

Alex was the real deal. Again, right place at the right time.

#46 Regazzoni

Regazzoni

• 2,612 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 18:39

A tentative list, mixture of results and personal esteem, totally inaccurate:

Ascari

Patrese

Farina

Alboreto

Brambilla

De Angelis

Fisichella

Giacomelli

Zanardi

Bandini/Trulli

#47 Francesc

Francesc

• 5,026 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 19:28

What about Teo Fabi?? He was really quick in qualifying.

#48 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 19:34

Not a bad call actually, he was seriously quick in qualifying and fairly decent in the races.

#49 Taxi

Taxi

• 4,805 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 09:12

completly forgot Patrese. He would make my list above Naninni, Modena and Capelli. Teo Fabi was decent also. I remember somewere in 1990 half of the grid was Italian. God I love Italy.  :up:

#50 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,995 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 09:39

Destroyed by Warwick, destroyed by Piquet, destroyed by Berger.  Cost Patrese the 1982 WEC because he couldn't hold off Ickx.  Brother was the better prospect.