Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

2019 - MotoGP, Moto2-3, WSBK, MotoE, WSS, BSB, MotoAmerica, etc.

• Please log in to reply
1692 replies to this topic

#851 Stephane

Stephane

• 2,036 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 08:59

A lot of people thought his career ended when he crashed  ath the Mugello 9 years ago.

Advertisement

#852 KinoNoNo

KinoNoNo

• 264 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 12:37

Rossi also had that bad dirt bike accident in training a few years back.

#853 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,852 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 15:07

What other legitimate choice does MotoGP have besides COTA? Employees are like that because they know there is nowhere else that has the facilities for MotoGP. Birmingham Alabama, Elkhart Lake Wisconsin? Nice places but hardly same as Silverstone, Barcelona. The cost of the flyaway race has to be worth it. When Donnington couldn't upgrade facilities it was off to Silverstone. When Jerez cant fix something there is a threat they will just race at Barca and Velncia, Same with Sachsenring and Nurburgring. Everywhere MotoGp needs to be they can threaten to relocate besides in America and in Italy where Valentino probably dictates that more than anything and maybe Japan because of Suzuka safety. I don't see them leaving COTA. There will be some concessions about fixing the bumps and that will be all.

Also it matters which riders complain. Espargaro and Petrucci are not going to move the needle for organizer and promoters.

I want MotoGP in Austin, but they could go back to Indy, or Laguna, or probably others. What do they need in terms of facilities that COTA, Indy, and Laguna have and no other U.S. track has? Laguna is certainly no Taj Mahal when it comes to facilities, but MotoGP only left there because Laguna pulled out due to difficulties with the county iirc.

Re: the riders complaining, it's not just Espargaro and Petrucci. Rins hammered the surface after winning the damn race, and lots of other riders have as well, including Rossi, Dovi, Crashlow, Miller, Vinales, MM saying the bumps were hurting his shoulders, even Joe Roberts, and on and on. I'm not saying the riders can get the race moved, but it doesn't help, esp when you add in lackluster crowds, low-effort promotion, etc. People said COTA was the only place the WEC could race in the U.S. right up until they packed up and returned to Sebring.

ETA: Look at these quotes from after the race:

World champion Marc Marquez - who didn't blame the bumps for his fall from the lead of the race - outlined the work needed:

"There are three points which are very critical; especially Turn 2, then from 9 to 10, there's a big bump on the kerb, and then the back straight," he said. "These are the most critical points that they need to try to repair for next year."

Of those, it was Turn 2 that gave the biggest problem for debut MotoGP winner Alex Rins.

"I was suffering a lot at Turn 2. Depends on the line. But mostly at the end of the race when I was going through these bumps I was losing a little bit the front tyre. This starts to be dangerous," said the Suzuki rider.

"We already talked on the Safety Commission to do something for next year, because it’s a shame to come here in America on this nice layout and feel all these bumps."

Runner-up Valentino Rossi also praised the layout, but added that it's the worst circuit of the year for bumps.

"Like Alex said it’s a shame because the track is fantastic, the layout is great, but for the bumps is the worst track in all the season. Also today [in the race] is the same as Friday. We speak in the Safety Commission, but is not easy to fix so I think that we have to take the bumps."

Jack Miller, who completed the podium, revealed he suffered a tank-slapping scare in warm-up, similar to those caught on camera for Marquez along the back straight in qualifying.

"I almost killed myself this morning down the back straight. I didn’t really understand how Marc had that headshake yesterday [Saturday], but boy I got it this morning on the first lap," said the Australian.

"I thought it was game over. Just the wind was a little bit in the wrong spot. It started slapping on me and I literally had no idea what was going on. My feet came off. The brake lever was gone to the handlebar. I had to pull it like six times [to get the pads back to the disc].

"Like Alex said, I had the soft front [tyre, for the race] and going into Turn 2 you almost roll off early and have to get back on with the gas to then accelerate over the bumps, otherwise the thing gets all swapped out.

"But doing that you’re going through the most crucial part of the corner with the gas on, taking load away from the front. Towards the end of the race, I had three or four times on my elbow there.

"We were fortunate today. I think also in the race, to be honest, down the back straight I had quite a good opportunity to pass Cal there on the first lap, but I wasn’t going to pull out and try and pass with the wind and everything because the front wheel is bouncing up and down.

"When these bikes come past each other in close quarters, that’s the last thing you want at 340k an hour, 330k an hour. So definitely something needs to be done.
Austin: 'My feet came off' - riders ask for COTA changes

And if you still have any doubts about the back straight, check out this MM video MotoGP tweeted ... Wow.

Edited by AustinF1, 18 April 2019 - 04:54.

#854 messy

messy

• 3,404 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 15:26

Whoa slow down. Rins was being threatened of being dropped for Iannoe. Let's see if he can maintain this form until half way at least. I agree about MV though. He chirped alot in a subtle way with about how his development preferences should be ahead of Rossi's over the summer. Rossi out performed him most of the year last year. Judging by rider comments they were fairly even in development and Maverick was quite positive over winter. He seems to have gotten a big head. Everything is not peachy at Yamaha.
Anyways back to Rins. He is a nice guy and is going really well but things can change quickly. I don't recall him doing anything mind blowing in moto3 or moto2. Zarco is a good example this year. I don't think there should be any extra pressure applied to Rins to repeat this same feat every week even though it would be nice. Suzuki need to protect him and Brivio is a smart man. He will manage him well.

When was Rins threatened with being dropped for Iannone? Iannone was basically out on his arse from the very start of 2018 and it didn't really matter that he had a decent season, they were intent on ditching him and selecting somebody else to partner Rins. There was never any threat to Rins at all. They were looking for a new team-mate for him. Iannone and Rins also came in together in 2017.

In terms of not doing anything mind blowing, I think jumping straight up to Moto2 and finishing as runner-up did the trick really. He fought all year with Zarco, Zarco won the title quite easily in the end but it was Rins everyone was talking about.

Again, not dissimilar to Vinales coming up and stealing Rabat's thunder a couple years earlier.

#855 ehagar

ehagar

• 6,507 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 18:20

Then later this evening on a local F1, MotoGP etc facebook page I co-admin, there was a self-described COTA employee saying things like "Ha, they can't deal with it? go away", "the track is too bumpy. waaaa", and "Deal with it. Every other rider/driver has to. That's racing. Go have a few rounds at Sebring. Another reason the 2 wheelers don't do it for me..."

Really? A COTA employee telling the series that runs COTA's 2nd biggest event that they should just 'go away"? Wow. These doesn't seem like the kind of things these guys would be saying if they thought MotoGP was coming back in 2020. But who knows with these guys ...

Seems like I remember COTA boss Bobby Epstein expressing similar sentiments a year or two ago as well. This seems to be the attitude that's trickled down from the top.

Attitudes like that lead to fatalities. My biggest concern is a crash leading to a rider getting run over. Also, if the bumps are so bad that lock stops are getting broken down the straight, that is really, really bad. You want someone on a motorcycle careening into a barrier? Smart fellows.

#856 RPM40

RPM40

• 10,876 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 22:05

A lot of people thought his career ended when he crashed  ath the Mugello 9 years ago.

He hasn't won a single title since then, in the period Marquez has picked up 5 top level championships. He was even beaten by rookie Marquez despite having a top bike.

I don't quite get the fanfare for his COTA result, its clear the Yamaha is back to being one of the front running bikes. Without Marquez's fall Rossi was just a very distant third. 

#857 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,852 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 22:27

Attitudes like that lead to fatalities. My biggest concern is a crash leading to a rider getting run over. Also, if the bumps are so bad that lock stops are getting broken down the straight, that is really, really bad. You want someone on a motorcycle careening into a barrier? Smart fellows.

Agree completely.

#858 Lazy Prodigy

Lazy Prodigy

• 2,688 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 01:02

He hasn't won a single title since then, in the period Marquez has picked up 5 top level championships. He was even beaten by rookie Marquez despite having a top bike.

I don't quite get the fanfare for his COTA result, its clear the Yamaha is back to being one of the front running bikes. Without Marquez's fall Rossi was just a very distant third.

He would have been lucky to be third if Cal doesn't fall.

#859 realracer200

realracer200

• 1,094 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 09:35

Seems that Vinales had the pace to battle for the win http://www.motogp.co...-mistake/289737

Advertisement

#860 Sash1

Sash1

• 784 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 11:49

Seems that Vinales had the pace to battle for the win http://www.motogp.co...-mistake/289737

He always has pace when the pressure is off.

#861 DS27

DS27

• 3,305 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 15:38

I don't think Vinales is the smartest cookie in the jar.

Saying I don't understand the dash very well is p*ss poor and lacks professionalism. You are riding in the elite class of motorbike racing - take some time to learn the bike, the dash and instrumentation, and perhaps stay awake and listen during the riders briefing.

#862 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 14,546 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 15:44

Forget Marquez. The fanfare over Rossi's form is that he has aged but still remains competitive against his younger and presumedly hungrier teammates. He beat Lorenzo in 2016. Now, after 2 seasons and 3 races, he has outscored Vinales and has been by far the more competitive of the two this season. 40 years olds shouldn't normally do that.

He isn't collecting much golden silverware anymore, but that does not seem to affect his determination and approach to each season.

I'm not a Rossi fanatic, but it is admirable and laudable.

---

It sure seems as if Yamaha very prematurely resigned Maverick last season. They could have given the bike to Zarco, who was fine with it and had a more no nonsense approach.

Too bad...

#863 messy

messy

• 3,404 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 16:51

Forget Marquez. The fanfare over Rossi's form is that he has aged but still remains competitive against his younger and presumedly hungrier teammates. He beat Lorenzo in 2016. Now, after 2 seasons and 3 races, he has outscored Vinales and has been by far the more competitive of the two this season. 40 years olds shouldn't normally do that.

He isn't collecting much golden silverware anymore, but that does not seem to affect his determination and approach to each season.

I'm not a Rossi fanatic, but it is admirable and laudable.

---

It sure seems as if Yamaha very prematurely resigned Maverick last season. They could have given the bike to Zarco, who was fine with it and had a more no nonsense approach.

Too bad...

Zarco would have been the perfect rider for them.

I understand why they've felt they needed to stick by Vinales, but enough has to be enough at some point. Unbelievable now that he won the first two races, beautifully, in 2017. It's like fast forwarding two years right now and finding Charles Leclerc had barely scraped a single podium and been dicked by Vettel. Back in early 2017 Vinales was taking his place at the top table for years ahead of an epic career duel with MM. Instead he's being ripped apart by a guy in his forties.

#864 sopa

sopa

• 11,823 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 18:39

Vinales could indeed do with some career revival elsewhere. Looks like things aren't working out for him at Yamaha. Or maybe we should wait a bit more? Because Lorenzo was written off too on Ducati until he started winning races during 2018. :p

#865 messy

messy

• 3,404 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 19:38

I honestly think they need to employ some kind of psychologist to work with him or something.

The issue isn't his talent.

Edited by messy, 17 April 2019 - 19:39.

#866 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 5,310 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 19:42

Perhaps Rossi played some internal Yamaha mindgames and broke Vinales?

#867 Lazy Prodigy

Lazy Prodigy

• 2,688 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 02:55

I don't think so. He seems to have big head. Didn't he jettison Forcada last year in a very unprofessional manner?

Edited by Lazy Prodigy, 18 April 2019 - 02:55.

#868 lbennie

lbennie

• 5,200 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 03:02

He would have been lucky to be third if Cal doesn't fall.

But that is what cal does though

#869 sopa

sopa

• 11,823 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 07:22

Perhaps Rossi played some internal Yamaha mindgames and broke Vinales?

While Rossi's star power, experience and authority is definitely bigger than Vinales', one has to consider the reasons as to why Yamaha hired Vinales. He was to fill the void left by Lorenzo and Yamaha knew that Rossi was getting old and was not going to be their major title contender for long, as great as his star power is. In short - Yamaha clearly hired Vinales with the intention of this guy becoming their championship contender and bringing the fight to Marquez. Interestingly the partnership started out well with 2 straight victories, but it has been gradual decline since then. Not sure, what is happening, but that's odd.

#870 RPM40

RPM40

• 10,876 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 07:53

Vinales could indeed do with some career revival elsewhere. Looks like things aren't working out for him at Yamaha. Or maybe we should wait a bit more? Because Lorenzo was written off too on Ducati until he started winning races during 2018. :p

Suzuki would suit him

#871 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 5,310 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 08:23

While Rossi's star power, experience and authority is definitely bigger than Vinales', one has to consider the reasons as to why Yamaha hired Vinales. He was to fill the void left by Lorenzo and Yamaha knew that Rossi was getting old and was not going to be their major title contender for long, as great as his star power is. In short - Yamaha clearly hired Vinales with the intention of this guy becoming their championship contender and bringing the fight to Marquez. Interestingly the partnership started out well with 2 straight victories, but it has been gradual decline since then. Not sure, what is happening, but that's odd.

It's not uncommon for a company to have multiple people in important positions who have different opinions / interests. 

When Vinales slowly 'declined', perhaps internally there was a bit of a shift towards Rossi in terms of relevance, feedback importance etc. Right now, they might consider Vinales a placeholder until they hire Lorenzo back next year (who knows!). In terms of mental power and political games, I think there seldom has been a stronger rider than Rossi...

#872 RPM40

RPM40

• 10,876 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 09:24

It's not uncommon for a company to have multiple people in important positions who have different opinions / interests. 

When Vinales slowly 'declined', perhaps internally there was a bit of a shift towards Rossi in terms of relevance, feedback importance etc. Right now, they might consider Vinales a placeholder until they hire Lorenzo back next year (who knows!). In terms of mental power and political games, I think there seldom has been a stronger rider than Rossi...

He plays political games, but I think they backfire on him quite often. His attempts with Marquez in 2015 really didn't go his way and ultimately turned Marquez against him. His threats about expecting #1 status at Yamaha against Lorenzo lost him the seat and sent him onto a bike that he couldn't extract the performance from and he never won another title.

It was different back when he was the clear class of the field, but since then you can't say he's been going well with those games.

#873 as65p

as65p

• 21,925 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 09:28

It's not uncommon for a company to have multiple people in imtportant positions who have different opinions / interests. 

Doesn't really sound plausible, given that Rossi had to put up with Yamaha placing Lorenzo and Vinales beside him, if he had as much political power as you suggest.he surely would have chosen lesser teammates.

I'd stiil go for the much simpler explanation that even at his old age Rossi as a complete package is doing a better job than Vinales, even if the latter has predictable speed advantage over one lap.

#874 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 5,310 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 10:08

Doesn't really sound plausible, given that Rossi had to put up with Yamaha placing Lorenzo and Vinales beside him, if he had as much political power as you suggest.he surely would have chosen lesser teammates.

I'd stiil go for the much simpler explanation that even at his old age Rossi as a complete package is doing a better job than Vinales, even if the latter has predictable speed advantage over one lap.

I agree that Rossi is doing a very very impressive job.

But Vinales is now hardly above Morbidelli / Quartararo level. He is basically battling with them, two rookies who shouldn't even be in his shade.

Even if you look at Rossi's impressive performance / speed, it still is remarkable how much Vinales declined since his start with Yamaha. Maybe it isn't political games, maybe it is just a mental thing. 

#875 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 7,699 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 10:38

I don't think so. He seems to have big head. Didn't he jettison Forcada last year in a very unprofessional manner?

Shades of 2012.

#876 DS27

DS27

• 3,305 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 14:51

Shades of 2012.

My thoughts exactly. I know at the time how young he was, was used as an excuse for some petulant behaviour that year, but he has shown since then that his personality may not be doing him any favours.

#877 realracer200

realracer200

• 1,094 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 16:29

Last victory Rossi 25 June 2017, last victory Vinales 28 October 2018. Just saying.

#878 DS27

DS27

• 3,305 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 18:01

Last victory Rossi 25 June 2017, last victory Vinales 28 October 2018. Just saying.

No one is doubting Vinales talent when all the ducks align, or that Rossi isn't as quick as he once was, so i'm not sure that stat is of much relevance.

The fact Rossi is currently 2nd in the championship and Vinales is 12th is much more of an indicator of where they currently are at.

#879 Lazy Prodigy

Lazy Prodigy

• 2,688 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 01:13

I don't think that's saying much considering that Marc ran into the back of Zarco. I think Rossi was the more consistent rider last year.

Advertisement

#880 realracer200

realracer200

• 1,094 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 01:21

I don't think that's saying much considering that Marc ran into the back of Zarco. I think Rossi was the more consistent rider last year.

Maybe but then again he did crash both in Malaysia and Valencia. I don't think that's very consistent but what do i know.

#881 Lazy Prodigy

Lazy Prodigy

• 2,688 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 17:21

Maybe but then again he did crash both in Malaysia and Valencia. I don't think that's very consistent but what do i know.

For sure its not any worse lol

#882 realracer200

realracer200

• 1,094 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 18:23

Interesting: https://www.gpone.co...-style-sbk.html

#883 Nova

Nova

• 10,942 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 07:49

So what is Honda doing, fireing their old team to make a "superteam" around a bike that was not in the fray even when it entered. The worst of the manufacturers. They do know how to make a motogp bike.

Edited by Nova, 20 April 2019 - 08:04.

#884 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 7,699 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 16:47

What a great Supersport race to kick off BSB's round 1.

#885 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 14,546 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 22:48

They should just merge WSBK into MotoGP and rethink concesions for the least successful bikes.

#886 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 21,164 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 13:01

Wow, Mackenzie wipes out team-mate O'Halloran at the last corner to take a debut win. BSB is back!

#887 sportyskells

sportyskells

• 1,800 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 13:05

erm, there is a check going on on the above so lets wait for official news from the people in charge of checking if there is any penalty needed.

Mr Hicks has spoken. If this has happen any other time we would have had our 1st long lap rider. Instead its a 3 sec time penalty for  Mackenzie

Edited by sportyskells, 21 April 2019 - 13:47.

#888 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 21,164 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 13:44

Well, well. Tarran given a time penalty and Josh Elliott wins.

#889 Pete_f1

Pete_f1

• 1,339 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 13:58

Massive stock 1000 crash. Looks bad.

#890 messy

messy

• 3,404 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 13:59

Yikes.

#891 sportyskells

sportyskells

• 1,800 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 14:00

and cue a delay 

#892 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 21,164 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 14:02

Tell me that wasn't a helmet rolling down the grass.

#893 sportyskells

sportyskells

• 1,800 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 14:06

Here comes the replays and nope that was NOT a helmet as it was a bit of the bike (both riders are talking to marshals which is good news) restart in a few minutes

Edited by sportyskells, 21 April 2019 - 14:08.

#894 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 21,164 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 14:07

Looked like a fuel tank? What a lucky escape.

#895 Pete_f1

Pete_f1

• 1,339 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 14:10

I wonderd if it was a helmet but no. The Marshall's were in a bit of a vulnerable position with regards to flying motorcycles.

#896 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 7,699 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 21:38

Great first meeting of the year for BSB. What happened to Brookes' Duke. Very likely that the crazy, required BSB exhaust system is going to get blamed. 24hMoto Le Mans had a thriller of a final half hour

#897 messy

messy

• 3,404 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:04

Strange not to have Shakey, Haslam or Dixon out there but as usual, BSB was good stuff. Give me that over World Superbikes every day of the week tbh.

#898 DS27

DS27

• 3,305 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:45

Shame for O'Halloran. He should have probably had 2 wins, as it wouldn't surprise me if the 2nd race retirement was down to the incident where he was taken out in the 1st race.

Mackenzie generally seems a nice lad, but that had shades of a Ianone on Dovi move - he shouldn't have gone for that and the team would have probably had two 1-2's.

Hope Redding hasn't aggravated his injury after being Irwin'd - he looked in a fair bit of pain

#899 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 1,205 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 13:12

Strange not to have Shakey, Haslam or Dixon out there but as usual, BSB was good stuff.

Exactly. It's strangely disorientating. Having Brookes and Ellison down the field helped to reinforce the feeling that all the old guard had gone, while the ones we'd recently accepted as new arrivals - Mossey and Ray - didn't feature either.

We'll get used to it.

Advertisement

#900 ehagar

ehagar

• 6,507 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 02:06

Finally got around to watching BSB... all I can say is if there was a way I could subscribe to it like MotoGP they would take my money. I've always felt its the nature of the British tracks that allows for such close racing. I see that Steve English wrote this today:

https://motomatters....ldsbk_what.html

I do wish MotoAmerica went to Motec units. They seem more straightforward than what Magneti Marelli system that drove the Broaster Chicken (!) Honda team out.