Photo
* * * * - 4 votes

2019 - MotoGP, Moto2-3, WSBK, MotoE, WSS, BSB, MotoAmerica, etc.

• Please log in to reply
2582 replies to this topic

#101 DS27

DS27

• 3,417 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 10:03

You don't win by 20 seconds unless the bike is very good.

Chaz may still be suffering from some injuries and has clearly not jelled with the bike yet and his form is most definitely not representative of where the bike is at. By his own admission he doesn't like PI either as it doesn't play to his strengths. I think Chaz will get stronger as the year goes on but won't be able to challenge Bautista, at least not consistently.

The other Ducati bikes are run by Goeleven, who are new to the bikes this year so will likely take some to get up to speed.

Good for Haslam being so close to Rea; I hoped to see that, but perhaps didn't expect it.

Edited by DS27, 24 February 2019 - 10:18.

Advertisement

#102 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 8,097 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 10:05

Another 15 + seconds win (was near 20 before the last lap, he slowed for celebrations) for Alvaro Bautista in Race 2, Utter domination!

Rea 2nd, Haslam 3rd

Edited by thegamer23, 24 February 2019 - 10:05.

#103 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 4,720 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 10:15

GP testing, Rins yet again showing speed, seems like Yam have built a Vinales bike like they did 2 years ago, Rossi is going to ahve to adapt. Honda nowhere as are KTM.

Impressed with Rabat again and Quattro (easier to type) and Petrucci, really showing well.
less so Miller and Bagnaia this time so far.

Could we finally have a season again with no Marquez as champion? Ducati looks strong, Dovi could have his best chance for the title so far?

#104 JRodrigues

JRodrigues

• 942 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 10:22

16= Johann Zarco FRA Red Bull KTM Factory (RC16) 1m 56.770s +1.719s [24/53]

17= Miguel Oliveira POR Red Bull KTM Tech3 (RC16)* 1m 56.891s +1.840s [28/42]

I don't know which time I should be more (un)impressed.

#105 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 2,210 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 10:39

16[/size]= [/size]Johann Zarco[/size] FRA [/size]Red Bull KTM Factory (RC16)[/size] [/size]1m 56.770s +1.719s [/size][24/53][/size]
17= Miguel Oliveira[/size] POR Red Bull KTM Tech3 (RC16)*[/size] 1m 56.891s +1.840s [28/42][/size]

I don't know which time I should be more (un)impressed.[/size]

Both good riders with a slow bike

#106 Ncedi

Ncedi

• 1,004 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 11:18

Could we finally have a season again with no Marquez as champion? Ducati looks strong, Dovi could have his best chance for the title so far?

Well that happened in 2015. Qatar isn't a Honda track though and their engine seems strong. We need a good 4/5 races to see the true order of things. For instance, I'd like to see how Yamaha fair after the Moto2 rubber has been laid down

#107 sportyskells

sportyskells

• 1,903 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 20:47

I wonder who be the 1st rider to go thoough the long lap penalty as it will be one of the penalties that FIM can dish out for any bad things in this years moto gp as long as there is enough room on the track for said penalty lap

#108 paulstevens56

paulstevens56

• 91 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 21:16

Anyone betting against Marquez is very unwise.

I don't particularly like it, but I think he is juts bedding in after a serious operation.

#109 Danyy

Danyy

• 2,173 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 21:48

Really hard to say how much Repsol riders are taking it easy compared to how much they are behind as Marquez says but I guess it’s pointless to risk anything when they are still not 100%

#110 THEWALL

THEWALL

• 2,082 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 23:35

If it stays like this, but with Honda recuperating somewhat, it could be a great season. Suzuki, Yamaha, Aprilia positively surprising, KTM nowhere, Honda a question mark. Would love to see a close three brand/rider fight for the championship and close intra-team battles.

#111 Ellios

Ellios

• 2,212 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 00:24

Anyone betting against Marquez is very unwise.

I don't particularly like it, but I think he is juts bedding in after a serious operation.

Marquez is another level to everyone else but the injury and operation is a big one, I really hope he recovers 100% and it doesn't restrict his riding, although I fear it will. 

#112 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 14,961 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 01:46

Testing seems promising and intriguing.

HRC seem a lot more vunerable than last year with non of their top riders in perfect form.

#113 Retrofly

Retrofly

• 3,555 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 11:40

After 4 years of dominating it didn't take Rea long to get salty

“Our chassis is incredible, electronics are working great. Our bike is an 18,000 Euro bike from a shop. We need to keep Superbike as simple as possible. But when you have homologation specials and a bike that revs to 16,000 rpm - I am sure the technical guys are pulling their hair out - because it is very easy to see from TV the advantage they have.

https://www.bikespor...-a-gunfight-rea

But lets not talk about where the other bikes finished :well:

#114 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 2,205 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 11:59

Nobody?

Rea pole time - 1:29:413 - would be a P2 in the 2018 GP race (MM was on pole with 1:29.199).

WSBK have qualifying tires.

Bautista's fastest race lap would be the 17th fastest race lap in MotoGP. Not even speaking of the rest of the WSBK grid.

#115 realracer200

realracer200

• 1,123 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 12:01

Are you saying he is not right?

#116 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 28,508 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 12:07

In the article you linked:

"This is taking nothing away from Alvaro, he is doing an incredible job. In both races he was incredible.”

World Superbike has always had agonies over the definition of "street bike" and its relationship with the one on the track. Complaining about it in the media is part of the game.

#117 paulstevens56

paulstevens56

• 91 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 13:21

Who cares what Rea thinks, he has had it easy for years, worked hard before that sure, but stayed in the comfy armchair of SBK winning low rank titles when he could have worked for a living and got to GP easily. He had offers, but simply thought he deserved a better bike, that kind of expectation weighs hard on me and others. Deserves his success sure, but clearly a talent that should have moved on.

Ducati do this all the time, they did with a few of their previous bikes, the 888 was always tons lighter than the oppo, they won tons of races and titles, rules changed, then they did again with the 916. Then, when the 100's came in they had to run restrictors, cant have Ducati getting beat too easily.  Only team with factory tyres in 2003 on the 999, were allowed to run a 1200 against 1000's and the last two bikes have been basically road going prototypes, though Aprilia lead the way there with basically a road going GP bike in the RSV4.

This new bike is the next step, a GP bike for the road, Lord knows how much it will cost!

#118 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 2,210 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 13:25

Sound like a classic "rules are great as long as I win", Adrian Newey style.

#119 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 5,868 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 13:31

Wow wow, very poor form from Rea after only 1 race. 

Does every Ducati other than Bautista's one rev 1600 rpm less? Did he complain when he was walking away the WSBK"s of the last few years with a team that arguable put more money and effort into it than other brands? 

At the very least he should have had the courtesy to wait a few races before talking **** about Ducati. 

Advertisement

#120 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 2,205 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 13:37

Are you saying he is not right?

I'm saying there's no point comparing qualifying times.

#121 KinoNoNo

KinoNoNo

• 270 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 16:53

He can moan all he likes but the facts are Ducatti has built a better bike within the rules with which they've been given.

I can't see the series organisers bending over backwards to hobble Ducatti just to make it easier for Rea to win yet another championship.

#122 piszkosfred

piszkosfred

• 318 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 19:56

He can moan all he likes but the facts are Ducatti has built a better bike within the rules with which they've been given.

I can't see the series organisers bending over backwards to hobble Ducatti just to make it easier for Rea to win yet another championship.

Still, 16350 rpm is way too much for wsbk. If 2 or 3 factories say goodbye at the end of the year the whole series could be in trouble. It's the first race for the new Ducati and already 20 seconds faster than the next bike? And I don't think other riders much happier than him.

#123 realracer200

realracer200

• 1,123 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 22:17

I don't follow WSB that closely, why are some bikes allow higher rpm than the others?

Edited by realracer200, 25 February 2019 - 22:24.

#124 piszkosfred

piszkosfred

• 318 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 22:56

I don't follow WSB that closely, why are some bikes allow higher rpm than the others?

Because Ducati built a special roadbike which can run 16000 rpm in sixth. Of course it costs 40 grand which is about double the price of the Yamaha or Kawasaki. So on faster tracks they will beat the opposition pretty bad. 

#125 Nova

Nova

• 11,288 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 05:39

Because Ducati built a special roadbike which can run 16000 rpm in sixth. Of course it costs 40 grand which is about double the price of the Yamaha or Kawasaki. So on faster tracks they will beat the opposition pretty bad. 

There is a reason I stopped watching WSBK a long time a ago.

#126 Danyy

Danyy

• 2,173 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 05:53

Much better end to the test for Lorenzo/Marquez. Impressed how close they were together.

#127 Nova

Nova

• 11,288 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 06:37

Much better end to the test for Lorenzo/Marquez. Impressed how close they were together.

Nakagami better than expected to. Vinalez consistent at or near the top.

Would hold Ducati as favorites, Yamaha look good. Would not hold Marquez as favorite this year.

#128 Danyy

Danyy

• 2,173 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 06:57

Nakagami better than expected to. Vinalez consistent at or near the top.

Would hold Ducati as favorites, Yamaha look good. Would not hold Marquez as favorite this year.

Agreed, Ducati’s and Yamahas look really fast. But testing is one thing though, nonetheless it will be an intriguing season. I hope both Repsol riders can be in the mix.

#129 DS27

DS27

• 3,417 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 06:59

The sprint race where Rea didn't have to look after his tyres was very close and a cracker, and we all know PI is a special case when it comes to tyres, so there is no reason to think the upcoming races won't be much closer.

I do think Rea complainig so soon, after being on the best bike himself for years is a tad disingenuous. From the organisers point of view, someone else wining is probably no bad thing.

#130 DS27

DS27

• 3,417 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 07:02

With Moto GP I was expecting Marquez to dominate this year, but testing indicates it may not be quite that easy for him.

Quartararo has really stood out in testing as a potential great new talent when more was probably expected of some other rookies.

#131 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 5,868 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 07:03

Still, 16350 rpm is way too much for wsbk. If 2 or 3 factories say goodbye at the end of the year the whole series could be in trouble. It's the first race for the new Ducati and already 20 seconds faster than the next bike? And I don't think other riders much happier than him.

Where did the other Ducati’s end?

Let’s first wait a few races to get a cmear performance picture....

Bautista may just be a pretty good rider who can ride with the best MotoGP guys on Philip Island.

If you’d put Marquez on a Yamaha bike and he’d win by 20 seconds, would we complain about an unfair Yamaha advantage?

#132 paulstevens56

paulstevens56

• 91 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 12:00

Lol, no chance on earth Marque would win by 20 seconds on a Yamaha, you are clearly watching a very different series to everyone else.

He would win on a Duke and maybe the odd race on a Suzuki but that Honda has been built around him, no-one else, and it suits him.  He struggled with the Michelin initially but managed to work it out, he is not a good development rider, just pushes til he crashes and ells Santi to fix it.

That is very different to working on the issues, finding out what areas you are strong, and ether really honing the bike in those areas which is what Rossi and Burgess used to do, or making the bike better overall which is what Vinales, Dovi and guys like Rins seem toi try and do.

Marquez is very good, but he is just pure talent, not a development rider. Juts like Stoner was in fact, the teams he tested for rarely used his data as he rode like no-one else could!

#133 Knowlesy

Knowlesy

• 3,848 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 12:09

Hi chunder.

#134 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 5,868 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 12:29

Lol, no chance on earth Marque would win by 20 seconds on a Yamaha, you are clearly watching a very different series to everyone else.

He would win on a Duke and maybe the odd race on a Suzuki but that Honda has been built around him, no-one else, and it suits him.  He struggled with the Michelin initially but managed to work it out, he is not a good development rider, just pushes til he crashes and ells Santi to fix it.

That is very different to working on the issues, finding out what areas you are strong, and ether really honing the bike in those areas which is what Rossi and Burgess used to do, or making the bike better overall which is what Vinales, Dovi and guys like Rins seem toi try and do.

Marquez is very good, but he is just pure talent, not a development rider. Juts like Stoner was in fact, the teams he tested for rarely used his data as he rode like no-one else could!

Did you realize we are talking about WSBK? And not MotoGP?

#135 MCR

MCR

• 945 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 12:45

Hoping Ducati keep their spectacular new Red livery.  It's stunning compared the old one.  Looks like a Ducati again - finally!

#136 piszkosfred

piszkosfred

• 318 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 13:15

If you’d put Marquez on a Yamaha bike and he’d win by 20 seconds, would we complain about an unfair Yamaha advantage?

If my grandmother had two balls than she would be my grandfather.  :rolleyes:

IMO, wsbk should be stock not some some prototypes costing 40 grand. What's next? 100 grand?  :rolleyes: BSB rules should applied all superbike series around the world.

Edited by piszkosfred, 26 February 2019 - 13:15.

#137 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 4,720 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 18:48

With Moto GP I was expecting Marquez to dominate this year, but testing indicates it may not be quite that easy for him.

Quartararo has really stood out in testing as a potential great new talent when more was probably expected of some other rookies.

If Dovizioso can be consistent and perhaps score a win or two more he’s got a great shot at the title. Though he needs to score those at the beginning of the season now that Marquez and Honda are a bit behind and Yamaha is still not 100% back.

I agree, Quartararo seems the best candidate for the title best rookie this season.

#138 paulstevens56

paulstevens56

• 91 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 22:21

Can anyone tell me what the state of the Ducati customer bikes is this year?

Presumably Pramac get a 19 bike? and One 18 bikes Who gets that?  Miller or Bagnaia?

And what of Rabat, is he on an 18?  Presumably Abraham is on a 17?

#139 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 4,757 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 23:24

Can anyone tell me what the state of the Ducati customer bikes is this year?

Presumably Pramac get a 19 bike? and One 18 bikes Who gets that?  Miller or Bagnaia?

And what of Rabat, is he on an 18?  Presumably Abraham is on a 17?

Mller gets 19, and the oldest bike is 2018 from what I understand.

Advertisement

#140 Lazy Prodigy

Lazy Prodigy

• 2,688 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 17:15

I can see them making it easier for Ducati though. Anyways it does sound like Rea is being Sour. "Not to piss on you but here is some piss". Lets see what happens at another track. PI is a special circuit. Also there is no point in comparing MotoGP and WSBK. They race in complete different times of the year Autumn vs Summer & has Qualy tires.

#141 Kulturen

Kulturen

• 883 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 22:00

I haven't seen anyone comment on Honda's new aero...it looks like the bike has a bowtie on, it's absolutely ridiculous looking.

#142 Kulturen

Kulturen

• 883 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 22:00

775100.jpg

#143 fer312t

fer312t

• 1,415 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 02:37

FYI, some BSB news... Shakey Byrne has nixed any possibility of making a racing comeback in 2019  :(  but hasn't completely abandoned the idea of doing so at a later date.

#144 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 4,757 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 10:54

By the way, have you seen Iannone smiling this year? Is he always like that?

For example here he looks like they kidnapped him, and forced to read the statement :rotfl: I was expecting him to say read "they are treating me well, but will break my legs if you don't buy merchandise"

https://twitter.com/...063845156544512

#145 ch103

ch103

• 1,849 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 00:18

less than 1 week until QatarGP.  Really excited for this season.

#146 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 1,615 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 01:54

It's wide open with HRC riders not 100%.

Yama look like they've made strides.

Rins and Suzuki seem racy.

But really, It's Dovizioso's to lose. 

Above average rookie class battle should also be interesting.

#147 AlexPrime

AlexPrime

• 1,881 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 10:38

It's wide open with HRC riders not 100%.

Yama look like they've made strides.

Rins and Suzuki seem racy.

But really, It's Dovizioso's to lose. 

Above average rookie class battle should also be interesting.

Looks like that, doesn't it? I'd not be surprised to see Dovi vs Vinalez in Qatar.

#148 MrMonaco

MrMonaco

• 511 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 11:48

Honda, or should I say Marquez, had some experience in starting the season with a "damage limitation" mindset. If Yamaha and Ducati are going to have a close fight in the early stages of the season Honda should be fine. They should be up there by the middle of the season.

#149 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 14,961 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 14:03

Honda, or should I say Marquez, had some experience in starting the season with a "damage limitation" mindset. If Yamaha and Ducati are going to have a close fight in the early stages of the season Honda should be fine. They should be up there by the middle of the season.

True. Remember 2016. Yamaha hit the ground running, the RC213V was horrible and Marquez was nowhere after Mugello, but then they turned it around and won the titles.

So even if Maverick and Dovi hit the gorund running, Marquez would be wise to not panic and no his run of podiums and heavy scoring will come sooner or later.

#150 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 1,615 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 15:33

Not sure how to feel about the Long Lap Penalty. Is this the WRX?  I guess I'll reserve judgement until the #29 has to take the long way around !

Thoughts?