Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

2019 - MotoGP, Moto2-3, WSBK, MotoE, WSS, BSB, MotoAmerica, etc.

• Please log in to reply
2234 replies to this topic

#2201 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 1,589 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 23:43

This part is mine:

Lorenzo gets a Petronas Yamaha once Rossi retires and Quartararo goes to the factory team.

I thought the rumor was that SIC is really only a temporary team until Rossi retired and moved VR46 up to GP thru Yamaha?

No JLo there if this becomes a reality.

Advertisement

#2202 Nova

Nova

• 11,205 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 05:41

I think Honda needs much more Lorenzo than most people think.

Yes, they want him to perform reasonably well, of course, but Honda needs to make their bike easier to ride. In reality they do not care if Lorenzo wins the championship or challenges Marquez, they just want him to develop the bike as he did with Ducati and Yamaha. That's why they hired him (and to eliminate a rival from Ducati).

If Marquez one day decides to take another challenge, let's say to KTM for example, Honda will be nowhere.

Last weekend Lorenzo was nowhere, but also Crutchlow was nowhere, and in the end Lorenzo was the second Honda, because both LCR riders crashed.

Crutchlow seems to agree with you.

https://www.crash.ne...marquez-miracle

#2203 messy

messy

• 3,661 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 06:57

Really optimistic that. Winning in Moto3 is nothing compared to doing it in MotoGP against the big manufacturers.

I wish KTM good luck and hope they do well, but they're a tiny company compared to the big 4 - Honda and Ducati in particular - Honda is a massive corporation and Ducati belongs to the behemoth VW group.

I just get the feeling they're moving in the right direction. Nothing wrong with a bit of optimism! 

Edited by messy, 18 September 2019 - 06:57.

#2204 ceesvdelst

ceesvdelst

• 33 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 10:51

Thing is, I don't think KTM are any smaller than Ducati or certainly Suzuki.

The spread of KTM in off road biking is immense, they truly dominate also through their partner brand Husqvarna  (the most is-pronounced brand in biking).

They are certinaly spending big on MotoGP, probably a lot more than Suzuki and Aprilia. Yet have not looked like winning at all.

They do daft things like running WP (they own them) when the entire paddock runs Ohlins, that is just silly, but I see why.

I bet you Zarco asked them to build a bike with Ohlins suspension!!

#2205 KinoNoNo

KinoNoNo

• 270 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:26

It's rather sad seeing Zarco leaving Motogp like this.

There's not even a decent Wsbk ride available to try and rebuild his career.

Edited by KinoNoNo, 18 September 2019 - 12:26.

#2206 messy

messy

• 3,661 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:38

He's too good not to have a ride for 2020, surely. 

Does he know something we don't about the Lorenzo/Honda situation? Are both Quartararo and Morbidelli definitely both still going to be at SIC?

He was far too good in 2017/2018 on the Yamaha not to be a pretty decent bet for a ride IMO even at this late stage in silly season.

What's interesting is that I'd thought KTM had willingly offloaded Zarco but if you read that Autosport article it becomes clear that I was wrong about that and it was his decision to get out of his contract. Sure, they've pushed him out now but only after he announced he was going. 

#2207 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 5,595 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 13:44

Motorcycle riders really are a lot more emotional than racing car drivers, aren't they?

The performance on a motorbike is so closely linked to ones psychological state of mind, whereas racing drivers obviously also can suffer from a lack of confidence (Gasly for example), but would you ever see a race car driver hand in his own contract in the middle of a season? 

There are also quite a few special charachters in motorcycle racing, Fenati to name one, or the English bloke who got arrested recently etc. 

Why would the difference be so big from a psychological point of view?

#2208 MrMonaco

MrMonaco

• 502 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 15:05

Motorcycle riders really are a lot more emotional than racing car drivers, aren't they?

The performance on a motorbike is so closely linked to ones psychological state of mind, whereas racing drivers obviously also can suffer from a lack of confidence (Gasly for example), but would you ever see a race car driver hand in his own contract in the middle of a season?

There are also quite a few special charachters in motorcycle racing, Fenati to name one, or the English bloke who got arrested recently etc.

Maybe because riding those bikes at this level of competition and with those speeds require a certain kind of character, mentality and focus. To perform you really need to give 100% and be at the peak of your physical and mental powers. That's why you can't compensate for it with other exercises, riding is the best training for actual racing. All the more reason to respect the older riders. A slightest crack can cause a snowball effect.

#2209 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 3,335 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 15:33

I guess F1 is more based on the elite + a few world class talents, not a lot of room for a guy trying to kill another one with grabbing his brake.

Edited by SonGoku, 18 September 2019 - 15:34.

#2210 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 5,595 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 15:49

I guess F1 is more based on the elite + a few world class talents, not a lot of room for a guy trying to kill another one with grabbing his brake.

Well, Fenati was racing Moto3, kind of the Formula Renault / F3 level. The same level more or less where a guy called Dan Ticktum overtook 10 cars during a SC period in order to ram someone of the road. 

Maybe the difference between Motorcycle racers and racing drivers isn't that big after all....

p.s: I wasn't comparing F1 to MotoGP, I was comparing motorcycle racers in general versus (car) racing drivers in general...  :rolleyes: 

#2211 noikeee

noikeee

• 15,838 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 16:00

I can't think of many examples but it's happened. Lauda walking out on Ferrari I think.

#2212 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 536 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 16:16

You'd never see a car driver suffer the injuries that motorcycle racers have to accept as part of their job.  A badly handling bike can seriously injure it's rider, that doesn't happen very often with cars - in racing as well as on the roads.  There's only so much courage in all of us, perhaps Zarco has used his up.

Here's now Dani Pedrosa ended his career.  Very few car drivers have anywhere near the number of injuries he sustained. 

https://i.redd.it/z25n8lqlgc711.png

#2213 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 14,830 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 18:32

I thought the rumor was that SIC is really only a temporary team until Rossi retired and moved VR46 up to GP thru Yamaha?

No JLo there if this becomes a reality.

Yeah, I forgot that. Not good for JLo.

#2214 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 4,660 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 18:46

I’m reading the likes of Smith being considered to bring back at KTM? Couldn’t KTM try to persuade Pedrosa to come back to a race ride instead of just testing?

#2215 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 2,065 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 19:48

Pedrosa retired before being a living version of the terminator (for the metal inside his body, not his size) I dont think he would want to come back with a midfield bike.

#2216 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 14,830 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 19:55

Pedrosa will not come back. He's had plenty of chances already.

I bet he loves the 'retired life'.

#2217 tomjol

tomjol

• 846 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 20:15

Well, Fenati was racing Moto3, kind of the Formula Renault / F3 level. The same level more or less where a guy called Dan Ticktum overtook 10 cars during a SC period in order to ram someone of the road.

Maybe the difference between Motorcycle racers and racing drivers isn't that big after all....

p.s: I wasn't comparing F1 to MotoGP, I was comparing motorcycle racers in general versus (car) racing drivers in general... :rolleyes:

It was in Moto2...

#2218 messy

messy

• 3,661 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 20:16

Pedrosa won’t come back and nor should he. He was absolutely a spent force in his last year. Like Casey, testing is fine.

The more I think about it, the more I’d quite like Smith to go back. He was ditched pretty harshly really, for not being quite as quick as Pol. Suddenly after a year of Zarco, having a team-mate a tenth back from Espargaro can’t seem that bad, can it?

#2219 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 2,065 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 20:25

Pedrosa won’t come back and nor should he. He was absolutely a spent force in his last year. Like Casey, testing is fine.

The more I think about it, the more I’d quite like Smith to go back. He was ditched pretty harshly really, for not being quite as quick as Pol. Suddenly after a year of Zarco, having a team-mate a tenth back from Espargaro can’t seem that bad, can it?

Bradley Smith was beaten by his team mate 5 out of 6 years in MotoGP. For me they should put Oliveira in the 2nd seat, a no brainer

Advertisement

#2220 ceesvdelst

ceesvdelst

• 33 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 20:39

I think Zarco might go back to Moto2.

No idea about KTM, I reckon Binder might be similar to Pol, so would suit the bike more. But he will likely be put out to grass at Tech 3. 

Not sure Bradley really has anything to offer KTM sadly. 

#2221 messy

messy

• 3,661 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 20:49

I’m quite surprised they didn’t put Binder straight into the bike to be honest, an Albon-style audition opportunity.

He’s not in the running for the Moto2 title and he’s already confirmed to be stepping up.

#2222 KinoNoNo

KinoNoNo

• 270 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 22:36

Bradley went to Aprilia in part because KTM wouldn't give their test riders wildcard races like they did in the past, and now Mika has been given the rest of the season.

Funny how things turn out.

#2223 JRodrigues

JRodrigues

• 929 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:12

I’m quite surprised they didn’t put Binder straight into the bike to be honest, an Albon-style audition opportunity.

That would be for Oliveira, not Binder

#2224 Jazza

Jazza

• 1,572 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:21

Safety maybe?

Any moment on a bike you could be eating tar and finding yourself in hospital with broken bones (or worse). That’s not to say car racing isn't dangerous, but bike riders do come down a lot more often and always get some injury when they do (cold tyres in a car will be hard to control, but on a bike you could go down hard any second without warning).

With that being the case, I guess if you have lost interest it can be hard to commit to riding around taking the risk.

#2225 ceesvdelst

ceesvdelst

• 33 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:36

I think some riders just need to feel that connection between them ad the bike.

Even someone like MM, he used to crash routinely but either learned something or they sorted the bike for him.

Stoner too had awful seasons where crashing was almost routine as he lost that feeling, some try and ride round it like these two, others like Vinales, Jorge, Zarco can not.

It is age old. Corner speed guys need that feeling, nutters don't! lol

#2226 messy

messy

• 3,661 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:54

That would be for Oliveira, not Binder

Yeah, Binder onto Tech3 and Oliveira onto factory bike would have been the logical way to do it. 

#2227 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 14,830 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:28

https://www.motosan....ez-consecutiva/

Nice silly season stuff.

Zarco is waiting on HRC, Ducati will go after either Maverick or Quartararo for 2021. Lorenzo-HRC cannot be salvaged.

#2228 JRodrigues

JRodrigues

• 929 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:31

Yeah, Binder onto Tech3 and Oliveira onto factory bike would have been the logical way to do it. 

Except Hervé doesn't want to give Miguel so easily:

“I was talking to Miguel and also the KTM management yesterday,” began Poncharal. “This is a question and debate raised by the media, because inside the family or teams, there was never any questions. Pit Bierer, Mike Leitner, they are telling everyone they are looking carefully, no pressure, it’s going to be difficult to find someone who can compete with Pol but they have their own idea and their idea is, so far, not to take any of the Tech 3 riders who are Miguel Oliveira and Brad Binder.
Asked about when we may find out who Zarco’s replacement will be during FP2, Bierer, KTM Motorsport Director, said: “Definitely latest in Valencia.” An intriguing wait goes on to see who will partner Pol Espargaro in 2020…

https://www.motogp.c...uestions/307912

#2229 Nova

Nova

• 11,205 posts

Posted Yesterday, 13:41

https://www.motosan....ez-consecutiva/

Nice silly season stuff.

Zarco is waiting on HRC, Ducati will go after either Maverick or Quartararo for 2021. Lorenzo-HRC cannot be salvaged.

If Lorenzo can not make the HRC bike work, why would Zarco? Isn't he a Lorenzo type of rider? What does Lorenzo-HRC can not be salvaged mean?

#2230 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 2,065 posts

Posted Yesterday, 14:02

Except Hervé doesn't want to give Miguel so easily:

https://www.motogp.c...uestions/307912

what the heck

Oliveira has proven much more than Binder so far. He almost won Moto2 championship, Binder still far from it. He also beat him convincingly as team mate twice, in both Moto 3 and Moto 2. Can't see where the doubts are.

Edited by NixxxoN, Yesterday, 14:04.

#2231 DS27

DS27

• 3,365 posts

Posted Yesterday, 17:04

I have thought for some time that Aleix would do well on that bike, and nice to see a fair few others think the same. He certainly deserves more than that POS he is currently on.

#2232 DS27

DS27

• 3,365 posts

Posted Yesterday, 17:11

I would be happy for Bradley, but other than that, it would be a very uninspiring choice and I don't see any chance of it happening. Even Smiths Moto E performances this year have been a bit mediocre if you consider the expectations and relative experience of the riders.

Would love to see an 'out-there' choice, a bit like Fabio was, and fast-track Fernandez up from Moto 2. That kids upturn in performance has been meteoric over the last couple of years.

#2233 qwertyu

qwertyu

• 162 posts

Posted Yesterday, 17:20

If Lorenzo can not make the HRC bike work, why would Zarco? Isn't he a Lorenzo type of rider? What does Lorenzo-HRC can not be salvaged mean?

Totally agree, Zarco to HRC is a none sense

#2234 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 14,830 posts

Posted Yesterday, 21:09

I don't know, there are no guarantees.

Yeps.

The relationship between Lorenzo and HRC's top brass cannot be salvaged. Apparently at Aragon neither side made a secret of hating the other.

I find it hard to believe Zarco will go to HRC, but who really knows?

#2235 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 21,366 posts

Posted Today, 04:13

Injured, washed up and with eggshell fragile confidence? Zarco isn't like Lorenzo in many important respects. I'd swap them.