Photo
* * * * - 4 votes

2019 - MotoGP, Moto2-3, WSBK, MotoE, WSS, BSB, MotoAmerica, etc.

• Please log in to reply
2522 replies to this topic

#2451 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 14,951 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 20:54

I blame Casey....

True. Only he could have been an on par rival for Marquez year in year out no matter what.

Edited by Atreiu, 06 October 2019 - 20:55.

Advertisement

#2452 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 2,200 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 21:17

Dovizioso had a good year in 2017 but that's about it, to be honest (and with all the respect for the guy) he's not a challenge for Marc, like he wasn't a few years ago for Rossi and the others.
Vinales... he looked talented, then he got a bit lost, now it seems that he's improving again but I don't know yet if he's been cut from the same cloth of the other legends.
Same for Rins.

Quartararo is inspiring instead, hopefully he can give Marc a run for his money in the coming years.

Marquez was phenomenal in winning the title in his rookie year, no doubts about it.

But short after that, the old "monsters" started to fade for one reason or another so I'm not 100% sure that we can say that he beat them in their pure prime, excluding 2013.
For example Vale was already quite old when he had his last title shot in 2015.

Then Yamaha becoming less and less competitive and Jorge's unsuccessful moves to Ducati and Honda didn't help either.

I'm not saying that he isn't good, that would be crazy, I just think that his current opponents aren't strong enough.
For example, I think that Vale had a much tougher time in battling against Jorge and Stoner.
There isn't an opponent like that for Marc yet.

About the Honda: the others struggling so much makes me think that the bike is perfectly designed around Marc... this is why winning with another one would only boost his legendary status.

All his rivals are bad even though they are the top riders in the world... what a coincidence... Perhaps he is so good that makes them all look bad or not good enough?
Rossi aswell, he hasn't won an championship again since Marc is in MotoGP
Any rider must adapt to any bike he's had. Marc in 2013 won it on his debut year, on a bike that was designed for Stoner/Pedrosa.

Does quartararo still have the de-tuned engine?  I think if he had the full factory spec, he would have a better shot, especially the previous time he got 2nd.

No, he already has the full factory spec

#2453 THEWALL

THEWALL

• 2,080 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 22:11

Whats amazing to me is the huge discrepancy in results to the other Honda bikes.

You typically see in the other manufacturers them fighting for around the same sort of positions. But why do you have one Honda winning and the other 3 outside the top 10.

Don't get me wrong, MM is an alien, but I think (hope) there's a grain of salt in his domination. For me, that is he has a bike that is being developed to suit him mostly. I mean, it can't be a coincidence that the other Hondas are far away and falling back. Yes, some people say MM is the only one that can ride an indomitable bike, but maybe that's more or less what he needs. Add to that that maybe the works Yamaha does not currently have the best Yamaha rider and is lacking in power, that Ducati doesn't seem to have anyone at the talent level of MM, MV, FQ, JL and VR, that Suzuki is slow on the straights and that KTM is crazy and you have the level of domination MM has shown. It occurs to me (hope) that FQ (and MV maybe) on a works Yamaha with a bit more power, JL on anything but a Honda and maybe Rins on a better Suzuki can at least make it more interesting that it has been this season. 

#2454 ehagar

ehagar

• 6,552 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 23:53

The Honda has taken a step back this year in terms of handling and front end feel. It's one of the reasons you see a regression in Crutchlow's results. I find it a minor miracle he is still racing after his last accident, but given some of his comments about pain next year might be his last. I think Nakagami started on the 2018 bike, correct me if I am wrong... 

It's actually a bit of a problem for Honda. It's fine as long as they have someone of Marquez's talents, but they would probably be lost if he were to leave. I think with his bonus structure his retainer is quite high... but question it and you would risk losing him.

I saw a while back people asking about the strengths and weaknesses of each bike. Here is what I gather from 2018 (primary source is Motocourse 2018, bhp figures taken with a grain of salt, but interesting nonetheless):

1. Honda RC213V - More than 280 hp, Revs 18,500. Excellent power, throttle response, handling Marquez liked... very focused and demanded to be pushed by the rider.

2. Ducati Gp18 - around 290 bhp, revs 18,500. Lots of aero changes... Dovi used a slightly different chassis from Lorenzo and Petrucci. At Mugello Lorenzo received new body work to brace himself for braking... and he started to get results. Seemed like a good all-round bike, maybe better handling than the Honda?

3. Yamaha YZR-M1 - around 270 at 18,000. Poor acceleration and tyre endurance were often cited as reason for poor performance of riders. Honda and Ducati were better prepared for the Magnetti Marelli control electronics than Yamaha and it showed. Factory bikes were difficult to ride and initial throttle response too harsh. A heavier crankshaft could have been one solution, but the engines were frozen... so the 2017 bikes which had less power but better engine characteristics often had better results (Zarco). 

4. Suzuki GSX-RR - around 275 bhp, 18,000 RPM. Engine fixed after being stuck in 2017 with the frozen engine regs. Good handling, decent power, correct crankshaft weight fo good handling. 

5. KTM RC16 - approx 270 bhp, 18,000 rpm. Continuous motor development and chassis stiffness development. Significant progress on time sheets but not on grid order.

6. Aprilia RS-GP - approx 275 bhp, 18,000 rpm. Adjusted weight balance with a new chassis. More weight on the rear which helped with acceleration but the front was a problem. Power delivery was too harsh. Spent the season balancing top power, throttle response and fuel consumption. Seems like they are a bit lost...

Things have changed a bit for 2019... I am guessing the Honda is pretty much on par with the Ducati power wise, but seems much more difficult to ride. The Yamaha is more competitive this year but is still lacking in outright power (notice they are poaching electronics engineers for next year). The Suzuki looks good again, but power seems to be on par or around the Yamaha. Aprilia still seems to be a mess this year...

Edited by ehagar, 07 October 2019 - 01:40.

#2455 RPM40

RPM40

• 11,097 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 00:25

Don't get me wrong, MM is an alien, but I think (hope) there's a grain of salt in his domination. For me, that is he has a bike that is being developed to suit him mostly. I mean, it can't be a coincidence that the other Hondas are far away and falling back. Yes, some people say MM is the only one that can ride an indomitable bike, but maybe that's more or less what he needs. Add to that that maybe the works Yamaha does not currently have the best Yamaha rider and is lacking in power, that Ducati doesn't seem to have anyone at the talent level of MM, MV, FQ, JL and VR, that Suzuki is slow on the straights and that KTM is crazy and you have the level of domination MM has shown. It occurs to me (hope) that FQ (and MV maybe) on a works Yamaha with a bit more power, JL on anything but a Honda and maybe Rins on a better Suzuki can at least make it more interesting that it has been this season. 

I do agree, that in 2019 especially there hasn't been any real top level riders to challenge him.

With Pedrosa leaving, Rossi is now too old (I still believe he wasn't too old when Marquez started, but that was 7 years ago now) and JL just demotivated and injured, Marc is just basically racing a rookie and a couple of strong but not incredible riders like Dovi, Vinales, Rins etc.

2019 reminded me a bit of Rossi's peak domination. There was just no competition. 

#2456 HP

HP

• 18,262 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 01:13

Indeed. It's hard to believe that the likes of Ducati aren't raiding the bank to get him on board. It is all they need to do to win the championship.

Short term it might work, long term it's gonna hurt them, as is Honda. With JLo recovering and in poor form, they might not win the constructor championship.. And this with Honda having far bigger resources at their disposal than most teams.

#2457 AlexPrime

AlexPrime

• 1,878 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 09:42

I suppose the hypothetical question is, would people rather have Crutchlow’s career or Rea’s?

I mean, they’re contemporaries, roughly the same age, were in WSBK together and comparatively impressive in 2010 then their careers diverged. Rea wins WSB title after WSB title and will go down as a legend in that series. Cal serves his apprenticeship then after years of nearly doing it, wins a handful of MotoGP races and goes wheel to wheel with the greats without threatening to become one himself.

I’d take Cal’s career over Rea’s, being brutally honest.

I won't...

I also think that Rea is happier chap than Cal in the last few years, but I guess different people have different preferences. Personally I believe that there are many paths to greatness and I personally like that. For example MM is now without a doubt an all time great, I am very happy for him, he is my favorite rider...  I think he will beat Vale's stats soon. I hope so. I guess he is better than Rea, I know that he is better than Cal... but there are guys who race in TT and I wouldn't say that he is greater than Dunlop for example. As I said, different paths to greatness. Same with car racing IMO. For many fans and apparently some drivers, being in F1 is enough, even if you never win like Hulk... For me winning championships in sportscars is more impressive. That's why I am happy that Fernando finally made the jump and now tries different stuff. Don't bow to a brand. Find your own path.

#2458 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,636 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 13:13

The Honda has taken a step back this year in terms of handling and front end feel. It's one of the reasons you see a regression in Crutchlow's results. I find it a minor miracle he is still racing after his last accident, but given some of his comments about pain next year might be his last. I think Nakagami started on the 2018 bike, correct me if I am wrong... 

It's actually a bit of a problem for Honda. It's fine as long as they have someone of Marquez's talents, but they would probably be lost if he were to leave. I think with his bonus structure his retainer is quite high... but question it and you would risk losing him.

I saw a while back people asking about the strengths and weaknesses of each bike. Here is what I gather from 2018 (primary source is Motocourse 2018, bhp figures taken with a grain of salt, but interesting nonetheless):

1. Honda RC213V - More than 280 hp, Revs 18,500. Excellent power, throttle response, handling Marquez liked... very focused and demanded to be pushed by the rider.

2. Ducati Gp18 - around 290 bhp, revs 18,500. Lots of aero changes... Dovi used a slightly different chassis from Lorenzo and Petrucci. At Mugello Lorenzo received new body work to brace himself for braking... and he started to get results. Seemed like a good all-round bike, maybe better handling than the Honda?

3. Yamaha YZR-M1 - around 270 at 18,000. Poor acceleration and tyre endurance were often cited as reason for poor performance of riders. Honda and Ducati were better prepared for the Magnetti Marelli control electronics than Yamaha and it showed. Factory bikes were difficult to ride and initial throttle response too harsh. A heavier crankshaft could have been one solution, but the engines were frozen... so the 2017 bikes which had less power but better engine characteristics often had better results (Zarco). 

4. Suzuki GSX-RR - around 275 bhp, 18,000 RPM. Engine fixed after being stuck in 2017 with the frozen engine regs. Good handling, decent power, correct crankshaft weight fo good handling. 

5. KTM RC16 - approx 270 bhp, 18,000 rpm. Continuous motor development and chassis stiffness development. Significant progress on time sheets but not on grid order.

6. Aprilia RS-GP - approx 275 bhp, 18,000 rpm. Adjusted weight balance with a new chassis. More weight on the rear which helped with acceleration but the front was a problem. Power delivery was too harsh. Spent the season balancing top power, throttle response and fuel consumption. Seems like they are a bit lost...

Things have changed a bit for 2019... I am guessing the Honda is pretty much on par with the Ducati power wise, but seems much more difficult to ride. The Yamaha is more competitive this year but is still lacking in outright power (notice they are poaching electronics engineers for next year). The Suzuki looks good again, but power seems to be on par or around the Yamaha. Aprilia still seems to be a mess this year...

I think those engine freeze regulations have robbed us from some fantastic seaons championship wise. Have it wrong and that is the end of your season.

#2459 Kulturen

Kulturen

• 881 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 19:06

So much for the myth that the bike is developed to Marquez's liking and to suit him: https://www.crash.ne...ately-exclusive .

They focused on power and figured "eh, Marc will probably deal with worse handling". Say what you want about Honda not caring about making an easier to ride bike but it has nothing to do with being made to Marc's preference. He simply has the talent to adapt.

Advertisement

#2460 ceesvdelst

ceesvdelst

• 83 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 20:11

With regard to Rea and Crutchlow, in my mind if you follow their early careers before the top classes Rea was by far the better prospect. Cal was a great rider, but he admits himself he gets there by riding hard and busting a gut, he has not got the talent of a Jorge or Rossi or Marquez. I tend to disbelieve some of that, you don't win GP's just on determination, though this year Petrucci managed it! Cal never won a lot, until Supersport and won one race in SBK in a very class field. Rea won everywhere, Supersport, and Superbike on a dog of a bike that won chuff all for years after he went. 

I simply feel Cal looked after Monster very cleverly early in his career, forged a great relationship with them. And his years on tech3 made him, he gave Dovi a very hard time, and even though Ducati was bad, once on the Honda he again forged a great link with Nakagami initially and they loved him. 

Eugene had a great time on the old Ducati GP bike but ran back to SBK when Bautista came and took the best bike understandably at the time maybe, so they took Abraham. I would think if Laverty had stayed maybe he would have got Rabat's bike in the end who knows as Rabat took the older one if Eugene had got a few top 6's etc, and the same for Rea, he took for me a slightly easier route. He could have grafted, taken a tough year on the proddy Honda, beaten everyone else on one as Redding did and taken his chance on whatever came his way after. Instead he took a huge pay check and relatively easy titles as he knew he was the pick of the riders left in SBK (series was at its lowest ebb then and has barely recovered).

I always compare whim with Danilo, look at him 7 or 8 years ago and where he was, and look now, sheer graft and determination has got him a factory ride, yes he is up and down with it, but can you imagine what a talent like Rea would have done with those chances?  

#2461 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 14,951 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 01:04

I think those engine freeze regulations have robbed us from some fantastic seaons championship wise. Have it wrong and that is the end of your season.

Aprilia and Suzuki would never keep up without the engine restrictions.

#2462 ch103

ch103

• 1,848 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 01:08

So many comments about Vinales, Rins, etc not being a rival for MM93.  Total Nonsense IMO.  Honda and Yamaha have the biggest budgets by far, they can always out develop other manufacturers.  What Suzuki has done, I think, is forget the remaining 2019 races and bike for the 2020 season.  A decision I agree with.  Make no mistake, Rins is legit, World Champion material.  All he needs is a Suzuki that's up to fight the MM93 and Honda combo.

#2463 OO7

OO7

• 19,176 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 08:12

Just watched the MotoGP race! :clap:

Fantastic battle between Fabio and Marc, TV director was an idiot though.

Congrats to Marc for the win and title and congrats to Fabio for such an impressive performance and taking the fight to Marc.

Edited by OO7, 08 October 2019 - 13:40.

#2464 Lennat

Lennat

• 1,420 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 08:44

Fabio really does look like the next big thing, and probably the best Yamaha driver since Lorenzo IMO.

#2465 ehagar

ehagar

• 6,552 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 13:26

Aprilia and Suzuki would never keep up without the engine restrictions.

That's the thing. While it did briefly harm Suzuki the one year they got it wrong (2017)  overall it has helped more than it has hurt. Aprilia may be beyond help though...

#2466 Clrnc

Clrnc

• 1,947 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 15:11

Fabio really does look like the next big thing, and probably the best Yamaha driver since Lorenzo IMO.

Yeah on satellite team he is doing ridiculously well, especially as he was nowhere in moto2 last year. I feel he is really talented but fear he will have a Max Biaggi career, always 2nd behind MM. 

MM is just the best, GOAT. No words. Let's not speculate about whether his bike is built for him etc, from the get go as a rookie he has been unbeatable already. His bike control even during pressure is just too amazing. 

#2467 ceesvdelst

ceesvdelst

• 83 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 19:36

Actually when you think back to last year, the Speedup has made good progress thins year, Navarro is in with a shout of the title, so maybe they were getting there with Fabio, tiny company, new rules, big step up for them. Beating KTM consistently til they built their new frame. 

#2468 l8apex

l8apex

• 466 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 21:34

Yeah on satellite team he is doing ridiculously well, especially as he was nowhere in moto2 last year. I feel he is really talented but fear he will have a Max Biaggi career, always 2nd behind MM. 

MM is just the best, GOAT. No words. Let's not speculate about whether his bike is built for him etc, from the get go as a rookie he has been unbeatable already. His bike control even during pressure is just too amazing. 

Fabio had two wins last year in Moto2.  Well technically only 1 win due to the DSQ from his tire pressure being a fraction out of the rule range.  He also had a 2nd place.   I wouldn't consider this nowhere.

#2469 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 14,951 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 14:31

The first thing Yamaha have to do is give Fabio a full fledged factory bike. Then let him have a strong hand in guiding development. If they improve and win 2 or 3 races in 2020, it'll already be significant improvement. The real title shot should be 2021, unless something unforseen happens to Marquez.

#2470 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 5,850 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 14:58

The first thing Yamaha have to do is give Fabio a full fledged factory bike. Then let him have a strong hand in guiding development. If they improve and win 2 or 3 races in 2020, it'll already be significant improvement. The real title shot should be 2021, unless something unforseen happens to Marquez.

Giving drivers strong hand in developping has sometimes rather been bad than good.

Vinales lost the plot a bit with the Yamaha development and lost confidence. I think it was also Spies who got confused and surely some other drivers.

Development in F1 is much easier and clearer. But even the most experienced guys like Rossi and Marquez are often unsure whether an update actually works.

#2471 Kulturen

Kulturen

• 881 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 23:15

I know people are dreaming about Quartararo mounting a championship challenge (mind you Zarco was going to as well but anyway not the same case) but I think if Yamaha suddenly clicks and the bike becomes top once again they'll have another "problem" in their hands.

A good Yamaha means ALL the Yamaha riders will suddenly be there with a shot. Including Rossi as well. It's not like Quartararo or any Quartararo will be the only guy like Dovi was. They'll have to battle the other Yamaha guys as well not just Marquez. And there won't be no cushy team orders like at Ducati. To be more specific this means that at Honda/MM tracks Marc wins easily while at a Yamaha track multiple Yamaha guys will be in it to take points off of each other plus of course MM93 will still be there. And you can guarantee there will be a fight, times have changed and you can't disappear off the front Lorenzo style any more.

#2472 Kulturen

Kulturen

• 881 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 23:17

Fabio may be very talented but just because he and his team have figured it out better than the factory guys right now and Rossi continues to have more serious set up issues, it doesn't mean that it will continue to be this way next year.

#2473 Jazza

Jazza

• 1,617 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 03:19

I know people are dreaming about Quartararo mounting a championship challenge (mind you Zarco was going to as well but anyway not the same case) but I think if Yamaha suddenly clicks and the bike becomes top once again they'll have another "problem" in their hands.

A good Yamaha means ALL the Yamaha riders will suddenly be there with a shot. Including Rossi as well. It's not like Quartararo or any Quartararo will be the only guy like Dovi was. They'll have to battle the other Yamaha guys as well not just Marquez. And there won't be no cushy team orders like at Ducati. To be more specific this means that at Honda/MM tracks Marc wins easily while at a Yamaha track multiple Yamaha guys will be in it to take points off of each other plus of course MM93 will still be there. And you can guarantee there will be a fight, times have changed and you can't disappear off the front Lorenzo style any more.

Yes, but such a scenario can also work for them.

Marc wins from time to time while the Yamaha‘s are 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc. But if Yamaha do have a truly dominate bike, Marc could find himself fighting for lower places like 5th whilst the best Yamaha rider will find himself on the podium almost every race. The Yamaha guys likes FQ and MV may have to fight each other for the win, but whoever gets beaten will basically have a guaranteed second.

That would be one heck of a bike, and unlikely to happen. But in such an eventuality, Marc could find himself either leading or buried from race to race, and constant podiums is what normally wins championships.

#2474 Nova

Nova

• 11,281 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 04:46

Fabio may be very talented but just because he and his team have figured it out better than the factory guys right now and Rossi continues to have more serious set up issues, it doesn't mean that it will continue to be this way next year.

It has been a long streak and over two teams, several riders, that the customer team does unusually well against the factory team.

#2475 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 14,951 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 23:34

Giving drivers strong hand in developping has sometimes rather been bad than good.

Vinales lost the plot a bit with the Yamaha development and lost confidence. I think it was also Spies who got confused and surely some other drivers.

Development in F1 is much easier and clearer. But even the most experienced guys like Rossi and Marquez are often unsure whether an update actually works.

IIRC, the mid 2017 tyre switch wad the largest responsible for Maverick’s immediate slump. Then in 2018 Yam got the engine wrong.

#2476 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 2,028 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 10:57

Zarco back in Moto Gp at Honda LCR replacing Nakagami for the last 3 races.

#2477 dissident

dissident

• 109 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 11:29

OK, didn't see that one coming, but it will be interesting...

I mean, if he does well I could see Lorenzo getting one of those phone calls...

#2478 fer312t

fer312t

• 1,415 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 11:29

Zarco back in Moto Gp at Honda LCR replacing Nakagami for the last 3 races.

That's excellent news...hope he's takes the opportunity an runs with it, although it will be no easy feat to jump on that bike and go well...

#2479 Lennat

Lennat

• 1,420 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 11:34

I really hope he does well on the Honda, he has way too much potential to sit out 2020. The question is what happens to Lorenzo then...

Advertisement

#2480 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 14,951 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 11:50

Is Nakagami hurt? What the ****?

#2481 fer312t

fer312t

• 1,415 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 11:56

Is Nakagami hurt? What the ****?

Yes, shoulder dislocation problems similar to Marc's last season...

#2482 messy

messy

• 3,750 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 12:21

This is an audition for Repsol, isn't it? If he's quick on the Honda, career saved. If not....

#2483 MrMonaco

MrMonaco

• 511 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 15:01

This is an audition for Repsol, isn't it? If he's quick on the Honda, career saved. If not....

Smart move, with the right people around hin Zarco is an asset.

Anyway, in 3 years we are getting Brazilian GP. Not sure what to make out of it, I haven't seen Motogp in Rio live.

#2484 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 14,951 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 15:19

If it goes right, it might also be the push HRC need to put Lorenzo on paid leave for 2020 and most likely have him retired by 2021. Like his hero, Lorenzo will then leave HRC on similar friendly terms.

#2485 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 14,951 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 15:19

MotoGP at Rio? I'll believe it only when the green flag drops and they actually race.

#2486 ceesvdelst

ceesvdelst

• 83 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 16:01

Oddly I recall Zarco was a hot tip for Repsol a few years back, but declined knowing he would never be able to ride the bike like Marquez, and I suspect he is very right. 

#2487 MrMonaco

MrMonaco

• 511 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 16:07

MotoGP at Rio? I'll believe it only when the green flag drops and they actually race.

Seems official, the annoucement is on motogp site.

#2488 sopa

sopa

• 12,132 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 16:34

Oddly I recall Zarco was a hot tip for Repsol a few years back, but declined knowing he would never be able to ride the bike like Marquez, and I suspect he is very right. 

Well, can't be worse than Lorenzo... Or what happened to himself on KTM. So I guess expectations have been re-adjusted.

#2489 Luca Pacchiarini

Luca Pacchiarini

• 641 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 16:35

You know what, MotoGp at Monza would be great

#2490 ehagar

ehagar

• 6,552 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 19:10

That's the first step. I am sure MotoGP wants to be there, but the hard work is going to be for the promoter/city officials/government to navigate the inevitable politics. 

#2491 ehagar

ehagar

• 6,552 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 19:12

World Superbike certainly was. But it was removed due to safety concerns.

Brands Hatch and Monza used to be jewels on the WSBK calendar.

#2492 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 14,951 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 19:36

Ducati agrees.

#2493 Luca Pacchiarini

Luca Pacchiarini

• 641 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 20:15

World Superbike certainly was. But it was removed due to safety concerns.

Brands Hatch and Monza used to be jewels on the WSBK calendar.

If I recall correctly the trouble was mainly at lap 1 first chicane
If they could skip it on the first lap...not sure what the rulebook says though

#2494 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 2,200 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 20:28

About time... Very odd that we didnt have a Brazilian GP for so many years (since 1992!)

#2495 Kulturen

Kulturen

• 881 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 21:26

I would be very interested to hear Zarco compare the Honda and the KTM afterwards.

#2496 ceesvdelst

ceesvdelst

• 83 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 21:32

There was no track to run a Brazilian GP at, they tried Interlagos but most riders did not want to race there in 92, insanely dangerous on the home straight area, lined with walls, it was only I think coz the title was down to the wire, if Lawson had his way they would have packed up and gone home!

They also raced at Goiana before Rio, and really they only went there coz of Barros!

#2497 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 14,951 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 22:12

About time... Very odd that we didnt have a Brazilian GP for so many years (since 1992!)

They raced at Rio in the 00s.

#2498 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 2,200 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 22:16

They raced at Rio in the 00s.

Thats true but it seemed like a strange one-off and why they didnt call it properly brazilian gp, no clue...

Edited by NixxxoN, 11 October 2019 - 22:19.

#2499 manmower

manmower

• 833 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 18:04

Yeah, especially now that the bike's been developed to sacrifice handling and rideability for sheer power, and rely on Márquez to ride around its problems, it's hard to imagine Zarco going particularly well on it. He strikes me as Lorenzo-esque in terms of needing a bike to be 'just right', and look where Jorge is on this Honda.

This is pretty much guaranteed to throw a spanner in the works of his Yamaha testing deal and maybe that alone is reason enough for Honda to give him a go. Then again, it is hard to think of an objectively better candidate for the substitution, so maybe I'm being a bit too cynical.

Advertisement

#2500 messy

messy

• 3,750 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 18:12

Yeah, much as I’ve always been a bit of a Zarco fan and want him to do really well I don’t really see it. He made his name in Moto2 by apeing Lorenzo’s style so much so that he became seen as a bit of a supermarket-own brand Jorge and reportedly his approach on the Tech3 Yamaha was also heavily indebted to studying you know who.

Hopefully he hasn’t got those Lorenzo Repsol Honda VHS tapes out because all that’s going to teach him is how not to do it.