Photo
* * * * - 4 votes

2019 - MotoGP, Moto2-3, WSBK, MotoE, WSS, BSB, MotoAmerica, etc.

• Please log in to reply
3076 replies to this topic

#2801 messy

messy

• 3,965 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 19:28

Really don’t think Lorenzo will want to be humiliated again like he has been this year - but he’s still Jorge Lorenzo which means he’s still an arrogant little git under it all and will want to retire with his tail between his legs even less than blundering round in 13th while Marquez wins thirty seconds up the road. 

personally, having seen him “race” in 2019 I’d happily call that he’s utterly lost it and has zero chance of recovering this situation. Whether it’s injury or simply not being able to ride the Honda doesn’t matter, he shouldn’t be anywhere near that Repsol bike next year and based on the two races with LCR so far, Zarco should be on it. Lorenzo’s 2019 season is probably the single most embarrassingly awful thing I can ever recall seeing in motor racing I think. Kimi Raikkonen 2014? Nowhere close, he was close to Alonso at times and flashed frontrunning pace at Spa. Alex Zanardi in 1999? Quite unlucky really. Luca Badoer 2009? Unprepared and was never going to work. Zarco on the KTM? Nowhere near as awful, front row at Brno and getting closer to Espargaro. Iannone on the Suzuki? Podiums. Etc. 

Advertisement

#2802 DS27

DS27

• 3,434 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 13:56

Serious talk from the paddock that Miller will be changing garages and riding for the factory team next year - wise choice for Ducati I would say.

#2803 manmower

manmower

• 849 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 14:13

Serious talk from the paddock that Miller will be changing garages and riding for the factory team next year - wise choice for Ducati I would say.

Meh. Petrucci has completely dropped the ball since getting his extension, but Miller isn't exactly the craftiest of racers either.

Of all factories I think they're the one who should obviously just take a chance on new talent, and hope to find someone above Dovizioso's level. Not hire some known sub-Dovi quantity.

#2804 Kulturen

Kulturen

• 917 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 14:15

Ηow is switching Miller and Petrucci for 2020 stop them from doing that?

#2805 Kulturen

Kulturen

• 917 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 14:16

And if this happens, I don't want to see tears about poor Petrucci. He hasn't just done poorly in the second half of the season, he has completely disappeared.

#2806 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 15,124 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 14:38

A Marquez brothers team would be a horrible idea. Marc might very easily destroy his brother and do permanent damage to his career. It wouldn't even make sense from a marketing perspective.

The reasonable option is to give the seat to Zarco. Or promote Cal and send Zarco to LCR and a less high pressure environment.

#2807 Kulturen

Kulturen

• 917 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 15:13

Which rookie would Marquez not easily destroy? His performance relevant to Marc would be irrelevant, it's how well he does relevant to the field.

#2808 manmower

manmower

• 849 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 16:52

Ηow is switching Miller and Petrucci for 2020 stop them from doing that?

It's not exactly freeing up any seats to experiment, is it. I meant, as long as they're reneging on agreements, why not do it properly?

The swap would change very little I think, or sum to zero for Ducati as a whole at least.

#2809 KinoNoNo

KinoNoNo

• 287 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 17:26

Is it me or did the board take a crap and loose 5 days worth of posts?

Edit: Nevermind hadn't noticed the JLo thread.

Edited by KinoNoNo, 15 November 2019 - 18:38.

#2810 Kulturen

Kulturen

• 917 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 17:46

Never mind, it's a spit thread

Edited by Kulturen, 15 November 2019 - 17:47.

#2811 Nova

Nova

• 11,390 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 23:08

Seeing Yamaha doing well lately it would have been interesting to see what Marquez could have done on it.

#2812 DS27

DS27

• 3,434 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 09:47

Very impressive from Lecouna so far. Jumps on the KTM having never ridden a GP bike before and had no testing, and has been quicker than 2 of the other KTM riders. 

#2813 Ncedi

Ncedi

• 1,025 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 12:33

Rumours: Alex Marquez looks likely to take the Respol seat next to his brother. Zarco to Avintia on a GP19, meaning Rabat or Abraham are out.

I'm a huge Alex fan but I don't know about him going up against his brother in a rookie season and at HRC no less.

#2814 registered

registered

• 625 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 12:35

Bradl said on ServusTV that he asked Honda about his chances and he is on on their list of candidates.

#2815 KinoNoNo

KinoNoNo

• 287 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 12:40

Rumours: Alex Marquez looks likely to take the Respol seat next to his brother. Zarco to Avintia on a GP19, meaning Rabat or Abraham are out.

I'm a huge Alex fan but I don't know about him going up against his brother in a rookie season and at HRC no less.

If true that'll be rather dissappointing.

#2816 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 6,804 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 13:04

Should be Zarco. Just because you're the champion's brother shouldn't be a factor in the decision.

Still, at least it'll be an easy team to root against.

#2817 Showty

Showty

• 1,651 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 13:09

At the Spanish broadcast they talked to Alberto Puig and Rubén Xaus and this scenario looks very likely.

I'm not big fan of Alex Marquez, he doesnt have the natural talent other drivers he has raced with have, Viñales, Zarco, Oliveira, Rins or Mir, but somehow I think he will do fine at Honda HRC, not as good as I would have expected from Zarco though.

#2818 Showty

Showty

• 1,651 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 13:12

Should be Zarco. Just because you're the champion's brother shouldn't be a factor in the decision.

Still, at least it'll be an easy team to root against.

I guess Moto 3 and Moto 2 titles don't hurt his chances.

#2819 realracer200

realracer200

• 1,134 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 13:28

What happened to Bagnaia? That was a really bizarre crash.

Advertisement

#2820 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 29,105 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 15:28

I guess Moto 3 and Moto 2 titles don't hurt his chances.

This is his fifth year in Moto2, and he's only looked like a title-winner this time round. In F2 terms he's more a Palmer or Valsecchi than a Leclerc or Vandoorne.

I think it would be better for Alex to learn the ropes on something other than a works Honda. HRC may have seen something that we've all missed, but pundits will be tempted into dark mutterings if his first two years in MotoGP are like his first two years in Moto2.

#2821 Ncedi

Ncedi

• 1,025 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 16:09

This is his fifth year in Moto2, and he's only looked like a title-winner this time round. In F2 terms he's more a Palmer or Valsecchi than a Leclerc or Vandoorne.

I think it would be better for Alex to learn the ropes on something other than a works Honda. HRC may have seen something that we've all missed, but pundits will be tempted into dark mutterings if his first two years in MotoGP are like his first two years in Moto2.

Morbidelli also took 5 years but no one questioned him being prize choice for the factory Yamaha.

Alex has done better this year where electronics are more sophisticated and the bikes require a more get it stopped and blast it out riding style (more similar to MotoGP). There's no reason he can't do well...just the pressure of HRC with his brother as the King of MotoGP may be too much.

#2822 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 21,548 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 16:15

Alex to Repsol is sheer nepotism. Makes a mockery of the sport, really. He would fail badly and deservedly so.

#2823 messy

messy

• 3,965 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 16:20

Alex Marquez to Repsol? 

at least it means Tanak to Hyundai is no longer my least favourite team switch of the winter.

#2824 Ncedi

Ncedi

• 1,025 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 16:20

This is exactly what Marc was talking about in Sepang. "He is Alex Marquez, 2 time world champion, not the brother of..."

Noone seems to care that he's won 2 world championships (how many can say they have??). All people seem to see is his surname...

#2825 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 1,825 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 16:25

Alex Marquez to Repsol? 

at least it means Tanak to Hyundai is no longer my least favourite team switch of the winter.

Yeah but atleast Alex to Honda isn't completely anti-competitive.

Edited by ARTGP, 16 November 2019 - 16:25.

#2826 registered

registered

• 625 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 16:32

Apparently Zarco would go to Moto2 before riding for Avintia

#2827 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 8,883 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 16:37

What I said earlier about Honda Marquez Racing sounding good, it was more in regards to the name having a nice flow. I don't think it actually is a good idea... 

#2828 messy

messy

• 3,965 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 16:56

I’ve watched a lot of Moto2 over the years and I really, REALLY don’t think Alex is good enough. I mean, this year even, he’s only been the frontrunner for one very short spell in the early summer. And he has the best equipment, and he’s been in the championship for quite a while now. Binder has been more impressive on the KTM for my money. 

don’t get me wrong, I think Alex is worth a shot on a satellite bike, but straight onto a Repsol Honda? Sod off. 

#2829 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 6,339 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 17:05

What are the complaints about AM? Surely he would do better than JL this year..

#2830 sopa

sopa

• 12,208 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 17:06

A pity that Zarco doesn't get a seat in Moto GP next year, if that's true. I think it would be good to see him getting another chance.

As a Moto2 champion I think Alex Marquez' ascension to Moto GP is justified, but in a works team alongside his brother? I can't help but feel he will be massively exposed.

#2831 sopa

sopa

• 12,208 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 17:08

What are the complaints about AM? Surely he would do better than JL this year..

Doing better than Lorenzo isn't really a challenging task, is it. It basically asks you not to be a backmarker. But I'm not convinced Alex would be consistent feature in top 10.

#2832 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 6,339 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 17:14

Doing better than Lorenzo isn't really a challenging task, is it. It basically asks you not to be a backmarker. But I'm not convinced Alex would be consistent feature in top 10.

Neither is Zarco, neither is Takagami. Even Crutchlow is pretty erratic.

AM will bring us more than JL this year. The other alternatives aren’t that promising, so let’s give the kid the benefit of the doubt.

Some Moto2 riders suddenly excel in MotoGP..

#2833 THEWALL

THEWALL

• 2,147 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 17:25

I’ve watched a lot of Moto2 over the years and I really, REALLY don’t think Alex is good enough. I mean, this year even, he’s only been the frontrunner for one very short spell in the early summer. And he has the best equipment, and he’s been in the championship for quite a while now. Binder has been more impressive on the KTM for my money. 

don’t get me wrong, I think Alex is worth a shot on a satellite bike, but straight onto a Repsol Honda? Sod off. 

Or are they protecting Marc as much as possible? They know Alex is not as good or experienced as Marc so they have a willing No. 2 rider that is not going to cause trouble while also giving their crown jewel a sort of present. The Marquez family is happy, Honda is happy, Dorna has some interesting marketing story and the fans...are f****d...   

#2834 manmower

manmower

• 849 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 17:55

Interesting answer from Marc in the post-quali press conference, possibly just blowing smoke but he said that given how difficult the Honda is to debut on, he wasn't even 100% sure Alex would accept if offered the ride.

#2835 Joshrobins13

Joshrobins13

• 355 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 19:26

Alex to Repsol is sheer nepotism. Makes a mockery of the sport, really. He would fail badly and deservedly so.

Deservedly so? Someone sounds a bit bitter.

#2836 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 21,548 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 19:41

Deservedly so? Someone sounds a bit bitter.

I have said it before but I really think Alex would hurt himself in MotoGP. It took him a long time before he stopped crashing in Moto2. His surname does matter - few if any other rider would have survived so long at a top team after making such a poor start in the category. 

#2837 ForzaFormula

ForzaFormula

• 632 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 19:47

Neither is Zarco, neither is Takagami. Even Crutchlow is pretty erratic.

AM will bring us more than JL this year. The other alternatives aren’t that promising, so let’s give the kid the benefit of the doubt.

Some Moto2 riders suddenly excel in MotoGP..

Zarco has had more crashes than Crutchlow this year, and I think Cal would be a good bet to back up marc on that factory Honda, mostly consistent top 5, with the odd podiums/ win or two, with a few crashes, is better than most would do that on that bike.

#2838 Joshrobins13

Joshrobins13

• 355 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 19:51

I have said it before but I really think Alex would hurt himself in MotoGP. It took him a long time before he stopped crashing in Moto2. His surname does matter - few if any other rider would have survived so long at a top team after making such a poor start in the category.

Obviously his surname matters to you.

Winning Moto2 and Moto3 is not easy. They are very competitive categories and some riders take longer to get up to speed than others.

Crutchlow and Zarco aren't exactly showing that they deserve that seat either.

Edited by Joshrobins13, 16 November 2019 - 19:52.

#2839 messy

messy

• 3,965 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 20:08

Zarco has had more crashes than Crutchlow this year, and I think Cal would be a good bet to back up marc on that factory Honda, mostly consistent top 5, with the odd podiums/ win or two, with a few crashes, is better than most would do that on that bike.

Cal is virtually done. One more injury and he’ll be in a BT Sport studio.

Advertisement

#2840 Showty

Showty

• 1,651 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 21:20

I agree it would be better for him not to drive on the official team next year, but this is not just a gift because of his name.

Maybe it´s not about what they see on him, and it´s more about what they don´see on Zarco or Crutchlow and they just wanna bet on the young guy, it turned out very well for Yamaha with Quartararo, who was far far from impressive before MotoGP.

#2841 ForzaFormula

ForzaFormula

• 632 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 21:38

I agree it would be better for him not to drive on the official team next year, but this is not just a gift because of his name.

Maybe it´s not about what they see on him, and it´s more about what they don´see on Zarco or Crutchlow and they just wanna bet on the young guy, it turned out very well for Yamaha with Quartararo, who was far far from impressive before MotoGP.

But that sat Yam is known to flatter rookies and is probably the easiest bike on the grid to ride and the best bike and team for a rookie to jump straight into, look at Zarco before he jumped on a Ktm etc etc. He's still yet to prove anything over a season in a factory team, where the pressure's are much higher, so let's not jump the gun just yet on him till we see more in the future.

Edited by ForzaFormula, 16 November 2019 - 21:40.

#2842 RPM40

RPM40

• 11,217 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 04:28

So Honda will now be team Marquez. Interesting.

I expect this to mentally break Alex Marquez. But we shall see.

#2843 Nova

Nova

• 11,390 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 05:27

Difficult believing Honda would sink all this money into entering MotoGP and then put A.M in the Repsol seat to please M.M. They probably will loose the team championship to Ducati this year due to Lorenzo not doing his part.

#2844 HPT

HPT

• 1,600 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 05:42

Alex to Repsol is a done deal according to this (not sure how reliable):

https://translate.go...bQaL4FY5PoLdvWA

#2845 tourister46a

tourister46a

• 63 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 06:26

Difficult believing Honda would sink all this money into entering MotoGP and then put A.M in the Repsol seat to please M.M. They probably will loose the team championship to Ducati this year due to Lorenzo not doing his part.

Does anybody outside the paddock care about the team championship? I don't. I can name who won the rider's championship for every single year for the last 25 years. I don't even know when the team championship became a thing. 

HRC has a vested interest in keeping MM happy. If they can bring his brother to MotoGP, they keep MM happy and have a better shot at retaining him for the future. 

#2846 RPM40

RPM40

• 11,217 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 06:57

Does anybody outside the paddock care about the team championship? I don't. I can name who won the rider's championship for every single year for the last 25 years. I don't even know when the team championship became a thing. 

HRC has a vested interest in keeping MM happy. If they can bring his brother to MotoGP, they keep MM happy and have a better shot at retaining him for the future. 

Will Marc being significantly faster than Alex make him happy? He could in a way end his brothers career.

#2847 tourister46a

tourister46a

• 63 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 07:26

Will Marc being significantly faster than Alex make him happy? He could in a way end his brothers career.

Agree, it may not be the best option for the Marquez brothers. But I doubt Marc will take it out on HRC. If anything, he may even push for the bike to be easier to ride for everybody (not sure if this is a good thing for his championship aspirations, though)

It is not like Alex is a freak talent swimming around in MotoGP offers. He has no chance at Yamaha. I heard some rumors of a Pramac ride earlier this year, but they fell through. If he underperforms in next year's Moto2 championship, it might hurt his chances of getting a good MotoGP ride in the future. In his situation, I wouldn't be surprised if he accepts the HRC offer, if it is made.

#2848 manmower

manmower

• 849 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 08:58

It's not exactly freeing up any seats to experiment, is it. I meant, as long as they're reneging on agreements, why not do it properly?

The swap would change very little I think, or sum to zero for Ducati as a whole at least.

Latest rumor apparently has Miller on the factory bike and Zarco on a Pramac... with Petrucci going god knows where. Bit of a renewed silly season going on this weekend.

#2849 Kulturen

Kulturen

• 917 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 09:41

The stuff about going to repsol Honda hurting AM's career are silly. It's going to HELP his career. Be on a good bike and a good team and situation, get help from his brother etc. As others said, it's not like he had much of a chance at a good seat otherwise.

And come on now, do you think AM really has any delusions about how much better his brother is? AM is a no2 kind of rider going into a no2 role where there will be no big expectations of him, especially as a rookie. 

#2850 Ncedi

Ncedi

• 1,025 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 09:42

Petrucci to Avintia apparently...what a disaster that would be for him!