Photo
* * * * - 4 votes

2019 - MotoGP, Moto2-3, WSBK, MotoE, WSS, BSB, MotoAmerica, etc.

• Please log in to reply
3076 replies to this topic

#301 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 6,803 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 18:15

I saw Yamaha taking pole position yesterday by a good margin.

Today one of their guys who underperformed quite obviously yesterday got from 14th to 5th with ease and had better pace than both the Hondas.

So what exactly were you watching?

Oh please. :lol:

I know you're desperate to pretend Marquez is the underdog (when he really isn't) and talk up his performances like he's on an inferior bike (which he definitely isn't).

I think you're the only person who'd say the Yamaha is better than the Honda. Did you forget how far off the pace they were last year, already? And it's clear they still don't have as good top speed as Ducatis or Hondas, as evidenced in this race. If it was true what you were saying, it must mean Honda had done a terrible job in winter.

You'd make a good fiction writer.

Advertisement

#302 AlexPrime

AlexPrime

• 1,894 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 18:16

I know you're desperate to pretend Marquez is the underdog (when he really isn't) and talk up his performances like he's on an inferior bike (which he definitely isn't).

He is not. He is just hating Vale, MSC and Seb, for whatever reason.
I am a Maq fan and find this to be disturbing. :well:

#303 Lazy Prodigy

Lazy Prodigy

• 2,688 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 18:18

On the basis that rossi got to 5th (and was less than a second from the win) from 14th and was quite a bit behind the Hondas for a while (when he was fighting for positions below 10th place), yet closed up on them.
Qualy means nothing? Do you admit that in qualy the Yamaha was faster?

so what? a factory bike should get by mid pack fodder. Thats not the point! The point is other factories beat them. The second Rossi came into competition with them he did nothing. Again their best and fastest rider was beat by their slowest rider this weekend. I have always said the Yamaha is fast. It maybe the fastest with Maverick for one lap. So what?

#304 FullOppositeLock

FullOppositeLock

• 5,378 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 18:19

Can we not just agree that both Rossi and Marquez are world class, goat material and both their bikes are currently not a match for the Ducatti’s? I’m not having that Yamaha is much better than Honda or vice versa, but I’m certainly not having that either is Moto2 level either.

#305 HermannH

HermannH

• 1,200 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 18:20

I think you're the only person who'd say the Yamaha is better than the Honda. Did you forget how far off the pace they were last year, already? And it's clear they still don't have as good top speed as Ducatis or Hondas, as evidenced in this race. If it was true what you were saying, it must mean Honda had done a terrible job in winter.

You'd make a good fiction writer.

Yeah. Yamaha being off pace last year had more to do with their riders underperforming, it was not such a bad bike (it was not as good as the Ducati, though, but neither was the Honda). 

As for today.

Lap 1. Rossi is over 2 seconds behind the leader (dovi) and 12th. Last lap. He is 0,6 seconds behind Dovi. So his pace was better than that of the leader. Better than that of the Hondas.

Fastest lap of the race - oh, what a surprise. A yamaha rider. What an awful bike!

I actually want to see your facts that prove Honda was better than Yamaha. 

#306 HermannH

HermannH

• 1,200 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 18:25

I find it funny that someone said Yamaha was Moto 2 level bike, yet no one picked that up. Dare I say Yamaha is better than Honda and a pack of wolves attacks me for "trolling". Christ. 

He is not. He is just hating Vale, MSC and Seb, for whatever reason.
I am a Maq fan and find this to be disturbing. :well:

I have not attacked rossi in the slightest today, except for saying that he underperformed yesterday, which I dont think anyone can argue against. Can we have a debate based on facts and arguments, please?

so what? a factory bike should get by mid pack fodder. Thats not the point! The point is other factories beat them. The second Rossi came into competition with them he did nothing. Again their best and fastest rider was beat by their slowest rider this weekend. I have always said the Yamaha is fast. It maybe the fastest with Maverick for one lap. So what?

Rossi was too far from yesterday and it took time for him to improve his position, because everyone was quite close today. So he just ran out of time against the leaders. Had it gone on for another 5-6 laps, he could have possibly fought for the win. But in anycase, today was a close one anyway, no one was dominant and the gaps were small. 

#307 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 8,292 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 18:26

Dovi  :up:  :up:  :up:  :up:  :up: 
Another race in Qatar, another win against Marquez. This man is unbeatable there. 

Strange race with all that tyre management, hopefully it won't be common this season.

Rossi is just a monster in race trim, a shame that Yamaha is so slow out of the corners  :(

Difference with Suzuki, Honda & Ducati is embarassing there, while it's very good in the corners.

Edited by thegamer23, 10 March 2019 - 18:28.

#308 Lazy Prodigy

Lazy Prodigy

• 2,688 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 18:31

I find it funny that someone said Yamaha was Moto 2 level bike, yet no one picked that up. Dare I say Yamaha is better than Honda and a pack of wolves attacks me for "trolling". Christ.

I have not attacked rossi in the slightest today, except for saying that he underperformed yesterday, which I dont think anyone can argue against. Can we have a debate based on facts and arguments, please?

Rossi was too far from yesterday and it took time for him to improve his position, because everyone was quite close today. So he just ran out of time against the leaders. Had it gone on for another 5-6 laps, he could have possibly fought for the win. But in anycase, today was a close one anyway, no one was dominant and the gaps were small.

you seriously can not be saying that when Dovi deliberately slows the pack up while engaging in dog fights with Rins and Marc loosing time to the trailing bikes. This is not the first time to ever happen you know.

#309 HermannH

HermannH

• 1,200 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 18:33

you seriously can not be saying that when Dovi deliberately slows the pack up while engaging in dog fights with Rins and Marc loosing time to the trailing bikes. This is not the first time to ever happen you know.

He was deliberately slowing everyone and risking the win, instead of escaping others? Why didn't MM or others overtake him then? Because they didn't have the pace. That simple. Today was very close.

#310 AlexPrime

AlexPrime

• 1,894 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 18:37

Dovi  :up:  :up:  :up:  :up:  :up: 
Another race in Qatar, another win against Marquez. This man is unbeatable there. 

Strange race with all that tyre management, hopefully it won't be common this season.

Rossi is just a monster in race trim, a shame that Yamaha is so slow out of the corners  :(

Difference with Suzuki, Honda & Ducati is embarassing there, while it's very good in the corners.

Good comment, I agree :up:

#311 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 6,803 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 18:38

I actually want to see your facts that prove Honda was better than Yamaha. 

The fact that Marquez and Crutchlow finished 2-3, Rossi was P5 and Vinales 7th?

Race results normally show who was better in a race. Or do you just ignore that and make up your own narrative? Actually, it's clear already...

#312 Lazy Prodigy

Lazy Prodigy

• 2,688 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 18:38

He was deliberately slowing everyone and risking the win, instead of escaping others? Why didn't MM or others overtake him then? Because they didn't have the pace. That simple. Today was very close.

Because he chooses to save tires. He admitted to this several times this year and the previous years. Come on.

#313 HermannH

HermannH

• 1,200 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 18:41

Race results normally show who was better in a race. Or do you just ignore that and make up your own narrative? Actually, it's clear already…

Do you ignore from where rossi had to come from? He had a bad qualifying and had to overtake a huge amount of riders and make up a gap to get to that position. So his race pace was actually better than that of the leaders, but when gaps are small like they were today, it is hard to get to 1st from 14th.

As for vinales, I don't know what is wrong with him. He disappeared like he so often does.

So your "facts" are really not taking into account all the important parts. 

#314 HermannH

HermannH

• 1,200 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 18:42

Because he chooses to save tires. He admitted to this several times this year and the previous years. Come on.

Well, he almost lost the race by going wide due to "saving tyres". He must have been holding back so much. 

If he was saving tyres, why were MM and Rins unable to overtake him?

#315 Lazy Prodigy

Lazy Prodigy

• 2,688 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 18:42

Do you ignore from where rossi had to come from? He had a bad qualifying and had to overtake a huge amount of riders and make up a gap to get to that position. So his race pace was actually better than that of the leaders, but when gaps are small like they were today, it is hard to get to 1st from 14th.
As for vinales, I don't know what is wrong with him. He disappeared like he so often does.

So your "facts" are really not taking into account all the important parts.

So Lorenzo actually rode the best race by falling back to 20th to finish 13th by that logic

#316 HermannH

HermannH

• 1,200 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 18:43

Race results normally show who was better in a race. Or do you just ignore that and make up your own narrative? Actually, it's clear already...

Oh and what is funny is that every comment you have made in reply to me has included a personal attack of some sorts. Can we debate without those personal remarks or is that too much to ask?

#317 HermannH

HermannH

• 1,200 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 18:44

So Lorenzo actually rode the best race by falling back to 20th to finish 13th by that logic

If his pace was better than that of the leaders, then yes. But it clearly wasn't, that is why he finished 15 seconds behind the winner, without every closing down on the leaders. 

#318 Lazy Prodigy

Lazy Prodigy

• 2,688 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 18:47

Well, he almost lost the race by going wide due to "saving tyres". He must have been holding back so much.
If he was saving tyres, why were MM and Rins unable to overtake him?

Imagine that. A rider missing his breaking point while trying to keep others behind him and not use up his tires.

#319 HermannH

HermannH

• 1,200 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 18:48

Imagine that. A rider missing his breaking point while trying to keep others behind him and not use up his tires.

Yes. I am sure that on the penultimate lap Dovi was more busy saving his tyres and pacing himself, than going flat out.

Advertisement

#320 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 8,292 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 18:49

There's an investigation over Ducati.

All team except for Yamaha sent the claim apparently!

Edited by thegamer23, 10 March 2019 - 18:49.

#321 HermannH

HermannH

• 1,200 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 18:53

There's an investigation over Ducati.

All team except for Yamaha sent the claim apparently!

All ducatis? Is it known for what?

#322 Ncedi

Ncedi

• 1,025 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 18:55

Such a close finish in Qatar means a Marquez championship for me...this has always been the bogie circuit

#323 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 8,292 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 19:07

Looks like something about an irregular aero flap mounted around the back area. 

#324 messy

messy

• 3,964 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 19:17

Great result for Dovi, relieved to see Suzuki looking better in the race too because having said all off season that I expected massive things from Rins/Suzuki, yesterday was not good.

#325 realracer200

realracer200

• 1,133 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 19:27

Is it known for what?

https://www.gazzetta...078258216.shtml

#326 steferrari

steferrari

• 1,203 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 19:40

Great race!  :)

#327 Dicun

Dicun

• 569 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 19:43

Vinales is fastest than Rossi on Saturdays - always have been. Rossi has never been a top tier qualifier, even by his own admission.

Come race day however it is a different matter entirely. Rossi has been a beast on Sundays for over two decades now and his class was shown yet again today, whilst Vinales just pulled a Trulli again ( = being very fast on a Saturday with the equipment that on a Sunday turns out to be clearly not a top tier one). In other words, given the capabilities of their machinery, it wasn't either of the Yamaha boys underperforming during the weekend, but it was Vinales overperforming yesterday and Rossi overperforming today.

Hope this clears things up for you.

#328 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 1,686 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 19:53

Dovi holds on. Barely 

If MM isn't 100% the rest should be worried. His commitment is unmatched.

Zuki and Rins look good. Speed and braking there. Tire management key this year.

Yama still behind yet closer.

Dovi will have to dig deep this year. After today, I thinks it's Marquez' season to lose. He's a beast.

#329 ch103

ch103

• 1,853 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 20:01

Great result for Dovi, relieved to see Suzuki looking better in the race too because having said all off season that I expected massive things from Rins/Suzuki, yesterday was not good.

Overall I am proud of how the team raced today.  Rins is a legit title contender imo.  Tracks that don't have long straights will alway him to fight for wins.  Mir looked good too.  Wanted the podium but Crutchlow was possessed today, good for him.

#330 piszkosfred

piszkosfred

• 320 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 20:18

This was a tire preservation race. For everybody. That's why the top10 was so close for so long. So the Yamahas could stay with the pack. Only about the last 6 laps were full speed. Race 2 sec slower than last year. Btw, Quartararo had the soft rear and clear track for the fastest lap.

#331 RPM40

RPM40

• 11,217 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 20:54

Vinales is fastest than Rossi on Saturdays - always have been. Rossi has never been a top tier qualifier, even by his own admission.

Come race day however it is a different matter entirely. Rossi has been a beast on Sundays for over two decades now and his class was shown yet again today, whilst Vinales just pulled a Trulli again ( = being very fast on a Saturday with the equipment that on a Sunday turns out to be clearly not a top tier one). In other words, given the capabilities of their machinery, it wasn't either of the Yamaha boys underperforming during the weekend, but it was Vinales overperforming yesterday and Rossi overperforming today.

Hope this clears things up for you.

The bike is fine, Rossi underperformed yesterday and Vinales today.

#332 RPM40

RPM40

• 11,217 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 20:55

Dovi holds on. Barely 

If MM isn't 100% the rest should be worried. His commitment is unmatched.

Zuki and Rins look good. Speed and braking there. Tire management key this year.

Yama still behind yet closer.

Dovi will have to dig deep this year. After today, I thinks it's Marquez' season to lose. He's a beast.

Marquez does what he does every race now, either win or be in contention for the win. When was the last time we saw him finish a distant 5th. Didn't happen in a single race last year. 

#333 Kulturen

Kulturen

• 917 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 21:36

The championship is going to be like last year, except Marquez is going to win even easier. It's actually kinda sad that Dovi is the only one that can even claim to be a real title contender. Too bad Lorenzo left Ducati as at least it would have been interesting to see if he could continue to imporve and challenge and also Dovi vs Lorenzo would have been tasty.

The Suzuki could quite well be the best chassis out there. Too bad about their engine lacking still. If they continue like this though they'll have big names knocking at their door.

Man KTM seems to have produced a lemon in all three classes! Absolutely destroyed in the straights in Moto3 and I hear chassis problems in Moto2. No comments needed for MotoGP of course. How long before heads start to roll at KTM?

#334 Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil

• 612 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 21:53

In other news, of course Iannone managed to crash after the race was over. Probably the rider with the most amusing/lowkey horrifying antics in MotoGP right now.

Here’s the video: https://twitter.com/...4016747524?s=21

In any case, I‘m greatly looking forward to seeing the season develop. If Rossi can sort his qualifying out and the Yamaha is up to the task, I maintain that he might turn out to be an outside title threat, particularly once Lorenzo manages to put Marquez under pressure (which I remain convinced he eventually will – he‘s too good not to) and Dovi becomes a little bit too inconsistent.

Crutchlow was brilliant – let‘s hope he can spice things up at the front on a regular basis.

Suzuki looked very good, I‘m more and more impressed with how well Rins has developed as a rider.

The less said about KTM, the better – at Aprilia, Espargaro didn’t actually look so terrible. Call me crazy, but I think that bike is staring to come good. Took them bloody well long enough.

Lastly, it‘ll be interesting to see how the Ducati hierarchy develops. Petrux looked thoroughly beaten by the end of today‘s race, and Miller was unlucky with his seat. Bagnaia is the wildcard, and the rookie I‘m most excited about (although Quartararo and Mir also looked excellent this weekend).

#335 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 20,586 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 22:23

That Ducati is so clearly class of the field. 

Marquez is magic.  He's got all the talent of Stoner but with the tenacity and willpower of......I dont even know, it's almost unprecedented.  

I see people getting their hopes up with Rossi.  I wouldn't.  Love the guy, but I think we'll have to just cheer for the occasional times where he's up at the front and able to challenge.  He's utterly impressive still, but I dont think the bike is quite there and he's clearly not quite where he used to be for very obvious reasons.  

Edited by Seanspeed, 10 March 2019 - 22:25.

#336 Lazy Prodigy

Lazy Prodigy

• 2,688 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 22:25

I hate the idea of aerodynamics in motogp in general but seems legal. Besides Yamaha have something similar I believe.

#337 JRodrigues

JRodrigues

• 959 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 22:25

Bagnaia is the wildcard, and the rookie I‘m most excited about (although Quartararo and Mir also looked excellent this weekend).

Maybe I'm a bit biased, but Oliveira lead the KTM pack for most of the race. Last 8 laps were painful as the tires started going burst. Certainly for the lack of experience. But best lap of the race for Pol, Johan and Miguel all in the 55,9 (with Miguel faster than Pol). And to finish, he was the only rookie to finish ahead of his team-mate (although not that difficult..)

#338 piszkosfred

piszkosfred

• 320 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 22:51

I hate the idea of aerodynamics in motogp in general but seems legal. Besides Yamaha have something similar I believe.

Until they ban all of these wings, spoilers, etc. we should expect these protests. I don't think it was the last time. 

#339 HP

HP

• 18,330 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 00:20

That quote from https://www.autospor...lap-qatar-fight says it all. They need to rethink current technical rules.

The extent to which Dovizioso was moderating his pace was shown by rookie Fabio Quartararo - who had to start from the pitlane after stalling on the grid - lapping over a second quicker than the leaders in the early stages.

Advertisement

#340 noikeee

noikeee

• 16,099 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 00:21

Wow, brilliant race, finally just watched the replay. Hopefully we get to see Suzuki feature fighting for wins more often this year, they're getting there.

#341 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 20,586 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 00:44

That quote from https://www.autospor...lap-qatar-fight says it all. They need to rethink current technical rules.

Well that's ALL about the Ducati engine power.  If Dovi didn't have the ridiculously superior engine advantage, he wouldn't be able to get away with that sort of Moto3-style race management cuz somebody who got ahead of him might actually be able to pull away.  That's not a concern for them when the Ducati can just easily zoom back past on the main straight without worry.  

#342 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 6,803 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 00:52

Why? The racing is fantastic at the moment - and tyre management has always been a part of MotoGP to a greater or lesser extent.

I'd much rather see a race where someone's controlling the pace and they're all bunched up compared to someone sailing off into the distance and the pack being really spread out.

#343 Kulturen

Kulturen

• 917 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 00:53

It's not going to be that big of a deal* this year. It's more to do with Qatar being a weird track under weird conditions. I think the the advantages the Ducati enjoys with being able to use softer tyres is actually bigger than any of the engine.

*Well, not a big deal as far as Marquez goes anyway. Poor Suzuki will continue to get creamed I'm afraid.

#344 Kulturen

Kulturen

• 917 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 00:54

The racing in general is great but Qatar is pure garbage. The closeness has more to do with the fact that no one dares to push or else crash and everyone just manages and can't wait to get the hell out of there.

#345 Lazy Prodigy

Lazy Prodigy

• 2,688 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 01:10

Why? The racing is fantastic at the moment - and tyre management has always been a part of MotoGP to a greater or lesser extent.

I'd much rather see a race where someone's controlling the pace and they're all bunched up compared to someone sailing off into the distance and the pack being really spread out.

There should be a happy medium though. I think it's tilted too much towards saving tires.

This too me just shows speed matters little as much of having a good bike to save tired. That's fine. Close racing is good but it feels lessened some how maybe I'm spoiled with the 990s where there was close racing and you felt nobody was holding back for the sake of hurting your rivals tires and helping yours.

Edited by Lazy Prodigy, 11 March 2019 - 01:15.

#346 HPT

HPT

• 1,600 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 04:17

The racing in general is great but Qatar is pure garbage. The closeness has more to do with the fact that no one dares to push or else crash and everyone just manages and can't wait to get the hell out of there.

A bit like racing on a wet track then? Managing the tires add another dimension to racing. Not all of them have to manage, ya know? Somebody could actually overtake Dovi and try to break away...oh wait, Rins did try but the ridiculous advantage the Ducati have on the straight means Dovi could just zoom pass on the next straight. That's hardly the circuit's fault. Ban Ducati perhaps? ;)

Also, managing tires was a prevalent tactic at many tracks last year, not just Qatar. It is the current state of MotoGP and it produces great racing. I for one prefer this to the leader running away from the pack during the Bridgestone days.

#347 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 3,585 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 08:20

I haven't been following things over the winter, is there no more FTA UK coverage for MotoGP? Can't see anything in the coming week anywhere.

#348 Quickshifter

Quickshifter

• 4,405 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 08:30

Rins is the real deal. That Suzuki has some insane cornering grip, good composure under braking and is nimble to handle. I expect Rins to be a real contender for race wins throughout the season especially on less power hungry tracks.

Also incredible race management by Dovi, always looked in control barring one moment and showing Marquez who is the boss when it comes to close combat. Marquez with his predictable dive bomb. Dovi  clearly saw it coming and repeated the dose like he did last year.

Edited by Quickshifter, 11 March 2019 - 08:33.

#349 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 6,337 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 08:48

Time for Marquez to change his last lap tactics. He seems to lose out everytime with those dive bombs..

A bit of a subdued race for the first part where everybody seemed to be waiting, but the end made more than up for it.

#350 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 8,292 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 09:37

53930185_10158275638083047_6907188000522