* * * * * 6 votes

McLaren Technical Thread (MCL34)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4323 replies to this topic

#1801 CPR

CPR

• 4,430 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 18:13

Heh, it's almost like they're hoping to find an issue to solve!

(Being a software developer, I'm familiar with that... with a completely new system you'd expect something to go wrong - if everything "just works" it feels like you're missing something, heh.)

Advertisement

#1802 rabbitleader

rabbitleader

• 1,670 posts

Are McLaren guilty of glory runs using light fuel loads? 😱 Not wanting to build up my hopes too much at this early stage.

#1803 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 5,813 posts

I'm very happy with Norris' consistency. I think McLaren has a jewel gem of a driver on their hands.

#1804 Quickshifter

Quickshifter

• 4,087 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 18:14

Perez said on Sky that he thinks whole midfield will be covered by three tenths in Australia.

#1805 benb53

benb53

• 155 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 18:17

I should know better, I know 😂. He infuriates me!

We know Anderson's particular bias, so is it a surprise he omitted that caveat?

#1806 sladealonso

sladealonso

• 229 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 18:17

Perez said on Sky that he thinks whole midfield will be covered by three tenths in Australia.

Q1 could be incredible, assuming Williams are backmarkers that's 6 teams that are fighting to avoid being one of the 3 other casualties.

#1807 rodlamas

rodlamas

• 9,715 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 18:19

When this kind of quotes start popping, it is any indication that his car shall be at the back of the field.

#1808 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 8,893 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 18:21

When this kind of quotes start popping, it is any indication that his car shall be at the back of the field.

His car might not be, but his teammate's certainly will...

#1809 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 13,132 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 18:34

I sometimes wish all these cars tested in white without sponsors or any distinguishing marks because the identity of the teams is clearly informing journalists impressions. Been hearing that Red Bulls testing can be excused by the fact they always come good in the end and they always bring a massive update to the second week. (This says nothing about a new engine partner/installation for the first time in over a decade or no firm intel of any update package). What's the point of testing if the actual running order is based on reputation!!! I certainly sense that none of the professionals want to be too positive about McLaren, due to past form...

#1810 rootten

rootten

• 656 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 18:40

I sometimes wish all these cars tested in white without sponsors or any distinguishing marks because the identity of the teams is clearly informing journalists impressions. Been hearing that Red Bulls testing can be excused by the fact they always come good in the end and they always bring a massive update to the second week. (This says nothing about a new engine partner/installation for the first time in over a decade or no firm intel of any update package). What's the point of testing if the actual running order is based on reputation!!! I certainly sense that none of the professionals want to be too positive about McLaren, due to past form...

Yeap, totally agree. Just check "CFD in your eyes" thread opened up before the winter tests to see that most of the posts there are the copy of 2018 WCC table. People just go with what they already know and make predictions on what they know which is not much

#1811 f1rules

f1rules

• 6,495 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 18:46

https://www.racefans...73902_HiRes.jpg

XPB_973902_HiRes.jpg

#1812 F1 Mike

F1 Mike

• 593 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 18:46

Any word on what happened to the Coca-Cola sponsorship???

#1813 Quickshifter

Quickshifter

• 4,087 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 18:48

Agendas have to be met at all costs. Sad state of media these days. Such absurd and unpalatable stale rhetoric based on regurgitated past events these days. There is no evidence and data based analysis. It is all about making up stuff as they go along. F1 is a sport where fans are intelligent enough to call out blatant agenda based reporting aimed at sensationalism yet shamelessly these reporters try to concoct narratives to suit their agendas and biases. 

#1814 f1rules

f1rules

• 6,495 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 18:52

DzyjKvnX0AAMIMx.jpg

#1815 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 4,037 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 18:54

Agendas have to be met at all costs. Sad state of media these days. Such absurd and unpalatable stale rhetoric based on regurgitated past events these days. There is no evidence and data based analysis. It is all about making up stuff as they go along. F1 is a sport where fans are intelligent enough to call out blatant agenda based reporting aimed at sensationalism yet shamelessly these reporters try to concoct narratives to suit their agendas and biases.

Yeah. As I said just ignore them and look at the clockwork which never lies.

BTW you were right by saying they may try to use new floor in the afternoon. That was the reason why they had delay in running in the afternoon right?

So far so good. Let's hope it continues like that and they keep understanding the package as a whole and improve the car.

#1816 CPR

CPR

• 4,430 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 18:54

Are McLaren guilty of glory runs using light fuel loads? Not wanting to build up my hopes too much at this early stage.

Well, McLaren have been 2nd fastest two days in a row now but I don't think anyone here believes that's genuinely representative of their ultimate pace.

It could be said that unlike some other teams McLaren have not had any issues holding them back (in terms of performance). In addition, I don't think McLaren are trying to sandbag or disguise their performance. They're just doing what gives them the best preparation.

Seems to me that we can expect the following pattern from McLaren each day:

Early morning: aero testing (very short runs with aero rakes and the like), typically on softer tyres

Late morning: short runs for testing setup changes, typically on harder tyres

Early afternoon: long runs, typically on harder tyres

Late afternoon: short runs, typically on softer tyres

It's considered that the best time of day for setting quick laps is late morning (assuming that the sun is out). Instead, McLaren have been running the 2nd hardest tyre at that point. They have run softer tyres late in the day but that's also the appropriate tyre to use at that point given the falling track temperatures. McLaren have been giving their drivers a wide range of situations to experience, rather than purely focusing on long runs.

In short, I don't think McLaren are going out of their way to set chart topping times. If other teams were doing the same as them, perhaps they'd simply ignore it. I don't think they're going out of their way to avoid setting good times either.

If McLaren were specifically going for lap times then we'd see them running with more DF (and drag) and doing their best times in the session just before lunch.

Edit I also don't remember any reports of the drivers giving the impression that they're driving the limits of the car. They've not had any spins or been into the gravel.

Edited by CPR, 19 February 2019 - 18:57.

#1817 f1rules

f1rules

• 6,495 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 19:05

https://www.thebestf...ente-diferente/

google translate

"It's a completely different car than last year, there are a lot of different things and in terms of aerodynamics it has also changed a lot. It is a great improvement, but there is a lot to work on in these tests and before arriving in Australia. We have improved in these two days quickly and in general it is a car that I like. It was my first day in the car and he was already seeing many things on Monday while Carlos was filming. The first day at the office was more comfortable in the car than looking for speed. The positive thing is that we have given close to 100 laps and I am happy for that and for everything I have learned, "says Lando Norris to the press, including TheBestF1.es.

#1818 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 8,893 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 19:06

Any word on what happened to the Coca-Cola sponsorship???

It was essentially a trial up to the end of last year. Maybe Coca-Cola didn't think it was ultimately worth it or are working out what brand they want to use?

#1819 Quickshifter

Quickshifter

• 4,087 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 19:12

TEAM report

https://www.mclaren....ona-test-day-2/

Advertisement

#1820 cbbcisace

cbbcisace

• 1,305 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 19:19

Good to see the team saying that the times aren’t important

#1821 Quickshifter

Quickshifter

• 4,087 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 19:21

Some additional quotes from Norris

Norris drove McLaren’s 2018 challenger during seven practice sessions last year and is confident the team has made a step forward with its MCL34, though he stressed it is “not a perfect car”. 

“Some things we’ve improved on from a car perspective,” Norris explained. “But there’s a lot to work on - a lot of stuff that we’ve learned over the last couple of days that we need to fairly quickly develop and improve on for the rest of the test and going into the first race. 

“It’s hard to say if all the problems are gone. There are still some things that we struggle with. It’s not a perfect car, for sure. But I think so far, so good, and between Carlos [Sainz] and myself, we’re reasonably happy with how everything felt so far.

“These next few days, the car is probably never going to look perfect. We’re trying to explore every area we can to make sure by the end of this test, we know the correct direction to work and develop the car in. 

“So throughout the season, we know where to push the car or what areas we really have to develop to become better or make the car faster.”

https://www.crash.ne...problems-norris

Edited by Quickshifter, 19 February 2019 - 19:21.

#1822 rodlamas

rodlamas

• 9,715 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 19:37

The car is a very good basis, but is far from perfect, and it seems to get to a level on the stopwatch that other teams are not being able to achieve.

Imagine if we were flying DRS plates, or being as delayed as Williams or having seat problems like Haas.

For me it indicates that we are on the right path. And the team seems to be solid, light and proud again.

#1823 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 2,557 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 19:45

Lots of laps and ok times, would be nice with some ontrack journalists to confirm something positive, but right now they dont, but lets see if mclaren continues to perform like this, or even better if a competitor mention mclaren, the car has good top speed, and look to be running less rearwing, what do you guys think is the limiting factor right now, front or rear, more rear can easily be added i think

Haven’t seen a lot of footage, but from what I did the front end looked a bit soft. That could be a multitude of things though.

#1824 jstrains

jstrains

• 2,543 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 19:47

So where are we guys? Do we need Nando or is Lando enough to do the job? :kiss:

#1825 Forghieri

Forghieri

• 375 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 19:48

Good to see you guys doing well. Onwards and upwards, we need McLaren at the sharp end of the grid!  :up: 

#1826 ERICTOPF1

ERICTOPF1

• 671 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 19:48

The car is a very good basis, but is far from perfect, and it seems to get to a level on the stopwatch that other teams are not being able to achieve.

Imagine if we were flying DRS plates, or being as delayed as Williams or having seat problems like Haas.

For me it indicates that we are on the right path. And the team seems to be solid, light and proud again.

Exactly, if only McL had one of those issues. What a nightmare the media would create

#1827 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 4,037 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 20:11

Some additional quotes from Norris

Norris drove McLaren’s 2018 challenger during seven practice sessions last year and is confident the team has made a step forward with its MCL34, though he stressed it is “not a perfect car”.

“Some things we’ve improved on from a car perspective,” Norris explained. “But there’s a lot to work on - a lot of stuff that we’ve learned over the last couple of days that we need to fairly quickly develop and improve on for the rest of the test and going into the first race.

“It’s hard to say if all the problems are gone. There are still some things that we struggle with. It’s not a perfect car, for sure. But I think so far, so good, and between Carlos [Sainz] and myself, we’re reasonably happy with how everything felt so far.

“These next few days, the car is probably never going to look perfect. We’re trying to explore every area we can to make sure by the end of this test, we know the correct direction to work and develop the car in.

“So throughout the season, we know where to push the car or what areas we really have to develop to become better or make the car faster.”

https://www.crash.ne...problems-norris

Wise words from Norris. It seems team has learned their lesson from the past few years and decided to stay focused and stay away from rising the expectations by giving false hopes to the fans.

Heads down and work as hard as possible and start to the season as ready as possible are the motto of the team. As I said they are learning about the car all the time and they are gonna improve the car a lot throughout the season. They have a solid base to work on. They are trying to find which direction would be the most effective to improve the speed of the car. So they aren't focusing glory runs rather they want to put mileage on the car and gather as much data as possible.

#1828 loki0420

loki0420

• 875 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 20:47

1 lap(+2 for in and out).

Outlap - fast - slow - fast - inlap

I agree that overall Lando looked better today but as you point out, given that they had all the feedback from Carlos yesterday I wouldn't be too surprised. My expectation would be that Carlos goes faster again tomorrow.

With regards to the C4 laps at the end, I think Lando could have gone faster. He didn't get as much time at Carlos on the C4 (who had two runs, IIRC). The way Lando has been dialling himself in I think he could have found another 0.5s with a second run, perhaps.

Lando also had 2 runs. First was 1.19.2 so pretty much same as Carlos yesterday.

#1829 MirNyet

MirNyet

• 2,285 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 21:27

So, considering the amount of running the team has achieved, do we collectively think bring Pat Fry back has been beneficial? 

#1830 Traction

Traction

• 178 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 22:06

So, considering the amount of running the team has achieved, do we collectively think bring Pat Fry back has been beneficial?

I'm becoming more reassured that Zak has what it takes to lead McLaren out of the mire. It appears he is appointing the right people, both on a long and short term basis (including Fry).

#1831 Owen

Owen

• 12,783 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 22:13

Undoubtedly.

#1832 Owen

Owen

• 12,783 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 22:17

It was essentially a trial up to the end of last year. Maybe Coca-Cola didn't think it was ultimately worth it or are working out what brand they want to use?

Could be uneasy about the involvement of BAT, but that’s entirely speculation by me.

#1833 Touchdown

Touchdown

• 54 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 22:19

I'm becoming more reassured that Zak has what it takes to lead McLaren out of the mire. It appears he is appointing the right people, both on a long and short term basis (including Fry).

I would concur with this - Seidl is an excellent hire to oversee the F1 team and Key comes with pedigree - he will have his first chance at a real top team with top resources.

#1834 RainyAfterlifeDaylight

RainyAfterlifeDaylight

• 3,998 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 22:31

In my opinion about 85 percent of MCL34 is the result of the efforts that McLaren have put before hiring Pat Fry.

#1835 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 5,813 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 22:35

I'm pleased with what we've seen so far, but I think McLaren will still be a solidly upper midfield car. All I want from this season is to be within touching distance of the top three. That said, I have no idea where Red Bull is with that Honda engine. They're either sandbagging and will have an absolute rocket (because they will not have forgotten how to build a chassis), or it is what it is. 

Anyway, I have a good feeling about this car.

#1836 CPR

CPR

• 4,430 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 22:37

Right now I feel we should appreciate all the hard work done by everyone at McLaren.

Even if those at the top are making the right calls it can all fall apart if those lower down fail to keep up.

#1837 TheMessiah

TheMessiah

• 64 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 22:41

I think for the first time in a long time we appear to have a very good solid car from which to develop and at last we have a reliable car so can rack up the miles and bring in the data. I hope we will finally see Peter Prodromou thrive in the McLaren environment and fingers crossed the team can get on a very good development path.

My aim for us is come Melbourne that we are clear of the midfield gaggle. I see no reason we cannot out develop any of them if I am honest now we have what seems a good starting point.

#1838 Borko

Borko

• 1,983 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 22:46

In my opinion about 85 percent of MCL34 is the result of the efforts that McLaren have put before hiring Pat Fry.

I think so as well. Nothing against Pat, but if this car turns out to be really successfull I think the man who should really be aplauded for it is Andrea Stella, who took over the technical department after Goss and Morris were fired.

#1839 rodlamas

rodlamas

• 9,715 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 23:07

Autosport continues to spank Mclaren. Glory run, crappy long run, etc etc etc. Nothing but usual.

Advertisement

#1840 cbbcisace

cbbcisace

• 1,305 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 23:12

Sky basically did the same on their round up show, mentioned McLaren for 2 mins in which they didn’t speak about the car at all

#1841 Borko

Borko

• 1,983 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 23:24

Sky basically did the same on their round up show, mentioned McLaren for 2 mins in which they didn’t speak about the car at all

They'll speak about it on March 17th.

#1842 cbbcisace

cbbcisace

• 1,305 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 23:29

They'll speak about it on March 17th.

They spoke about other cars though

#1843 Nathan

Nathan

• 4,600 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 23:38

Why on earth would a team do a glory run at the end of the first day of winter testing?

Replicate conditions to observe heat soak and put the hybrid system through a qualy sim? Ferrari seemed to be doing it.

Edited by Nathan, 19 February 2019 - 23:44.

#1844 frosty125

frosty125

• 336 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 00:40

We will just have to wait and see. I feel like a lot of commentators will simply not give McLaren benefit of the doubt. There seems to be a lot of progress in a lot of areas and I haven't seen anything to think we will not have a positive start to the season.

#1845 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 5,813 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 00:52

To be completely fair to the commentators (I know, it's stretching it), the track record has not been good recently, and they have every right to be pessimistic. 

The onus is on McLaren to prove them wrong, and if they do, we can be smug about it here. 

Right now? 

It's just testing. 

#1846 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 8,893 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 00:59

Autosport giving McLaren stick in their roundup video... What a surprise...

#1847 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 8,893 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 01:05

Autosport continues to spank Mclaren. Glory run, crappy long run, etc etc etc. Nothing but usual.

They trash McLaren then mention how well Renault did early on in the day with a 'statement' time from Danny Ric... I'm not hyper-partisan but the bias for whatever reason is so against this team...

#1848 Jazza

Jazza

• 1,424 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 01:23

Maybe the Butthurt over fans seeing the cars before the media is deeper than just Joe...

#1849 RA2

RA2

• 1,052 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 01:56

I'm think they are very far off the race pace of last years race winner

Hamilton did a 25 lap stint with softs with an avg 1.21
Mclaren day 2 stint 1 of a race sim was an avg 1.25
If we make an assumption that there has been no time loss this year due to regulations, Mclaren are quiet far behind with respect to the front. Where they will slot behind the front pack is a unknown but definitely behind the Renault

Edited by RA2, 20 February 2019 - 03:02.

#1850 kumo7

kumo7

• 1,606 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 02:07

i think that McLaren had a good second day of testing.

In comparisons to the last years, having no prob is way better and glory run coming into the second is not bad.

Like all of you say, I do believe that these two days have nothing representative in terms of true race pace or qualifying pace.

Still I just believe that 34 is a hell of a great car to base the entire year of racing.

I am starting to believe that 5th is not a unrealistic goal... (shut up!)

Edited by kumo7, 20 February 2019 - 02:09.