Posted 06 January 2019 - 13:05

Source?

A member of the team at the time

Advertisement

#52 potmotr

potmotr

• 10,529 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 16:18

I think they're rightfully be (respectfully) considered yesterday's men.

Had he lived Senna would probably be at least 20 years retired by now. 

As for Schumacher, he was basically left alone by the press after he'd retired on his paddock visits from 2007 - 2009. As has been written, the guy usually swamped by cameras was often seen wandering about completely alone.

The sport doesn't stand still.  

#53 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 2,225 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 19:58

Drivers kind of just become the joke if they hang around the paddock. Look at Herbert or Hill. There is no huge respect for their achievements or anything, they mostly just seem to be the butt of bad jokes or mocking.

When did Herbert ever achieve anything (above three gifted wins) apart from being bitter and rather annoying?

#54 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 16,052 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 20:12

When did Herbert ever achieve anything (above three gifted wins) apart from being bitter and rather annoying?

After his accident at Brands Hatch even driving a formula 1 car was an achievement.

#55 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,420 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 07:47

Senna and Schumacher post Imola, now there's a subject that someone should write a book about.

Oh, wait: https://senna-versus-schumacher.com    ;)

#56 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 13,738 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 08:20

I think they're rightfully be (respectfully) considered yesterday's men.

For sure, which is why it's always such a mystery to me when people say they want F1 to have 'the best drivers'.

The drivers often aren't that big of a deal, it's F1 that makes them special, not the other way around.

There are some stand-out guys, but they'd also do well in other series - while remaining relatively unknown.

Ask your average F1 viewer who Scott Dixon or Frank Biela is and they'd probably not have a clue.

#57 CSF

CSF

• 497 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:57

The thought of Senna in that 96 Ferrari has always amused me, it would make the moans of 92/93 seem like nothing.  :lol:

#58 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 4,723 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 14:08

Schumacher always struck me as a man very talented in one thing, and unable to translate it outside of his narrow field of expertise.  He would probably not that active in the sport after his second retirement, and no one would beat down his doors for anything that was no ceremonial. 

Senna would probably be in the Stewart or Lauda mold:  capable to be successful in multiple endeavors, but saying intelligent things about the sport not being one of them.  I guess the same psychology that makes someone a successful driver also makes them resistant to recognizing the limits of their knowledge and understanding.

#59 danmills

danmills

• 723 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 15:06

Off topic somewhat, but after listening to the F1 Podcasts I can't believe how much Brundle and Herbert blow their own trumpets. The number of times they each referred to themselves as the next big thing.

Advertisement

#60 danmills

danmills

• 723 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 15:16

The thought of Senna in that 96 Ferrari has always amused me, it would make the moans of 92/93 seem like nothing.  :lol:

Thinking about the whole what-if and Ferrari / Senna thing I doubt he would have gone given what happened to Prost and his experience / treatment merely years before. He would have retired on a high at Williams fighting Schumacher back to back in 94/95; switched to Indy (Emmo would have influenced this) or even less likely gone back to McLaren to partner Hakkinen with his tail between his legs. I think Schumacher was always the main target for Ferrari regardless if he won 94/95, and Senna would not have wanted a racey partner. So it would not have materialised.

The only major change to happen in this chain of events would be that Coulthard would never have likely made it to F1 at Williams until 96; aside maybe Brundle retiring sooner and going for his slot at Jordan. Lots of what-ifs but I find it insane to see how or why Senna would have ended up at Ferrari.

#61 CSF

CSF

• 497 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 16:27

Thinking about the whole what-if and Ferrari / Senna thing I doubt he would have gone given what happened to Prost and his experience / treatment merely years before. He would have retired on a high at Williams fighting Schumacher back to back in 94/95; switched to Indy (Emmo would have influenced this) or even less likely gone back to McLaren to partner Hakkinen with his tail between his legs. I think Schumacher was always the main target for Ferrari regardless if he won 94/95, and Senna would not have wanted a racey partner. So it would not have materialised.

The only major change to happen in this chain of events would be that Coulthard would never have likely made it to F1 at Williams until 96; aside maybe Brundle retiring sooner and going for his slot at Jordan. Lots of what-ifs but I find it insane to see how or why Senna would have ended up at Ferrari.

I've often found it strange too, and feel if it had happened it was doomed to failure. Not least because it falls totally against what we know about Senna, who chased the quickest cars... 

#62 7MGTEsup

7MGTEsup

• 1,830 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 16:49

I've often found it strange too, and feel if it had happened it was doomed to failure. Not least because it falls totally against what we know about Senna, who chased the quickest cars... 

I'm sure I read somewhere (I have no source and it will have been over 20 years ago now) that Senna wanted to drive the red car at some point in his career.

#63 danmills

danmills

• 723 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 23:19

Interesting! It’s the first I’ve ever heard of it too. Maybe because of his loyalty and professionalism to the teams of the time are why there is next to no evidence to back the claims of his interest after all these years. Or that there was intact no such interest. We will never know!

#64 BRG

BRG

• 16,203 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 17:51

I'm sure I read somewhere (I have no source and it will have been over 20 years ago now) that Senna wanted to drive the red car at some point in his career.

Take it with a grain of salt.  It was the standard Racing Driver PR statement in those days: "I always hoped to drive for Ferrari one day"

#65 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 16,052 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 17:29

I just put on the 1990 German Grand Prix highlights. Funnily enough, when talking about the repurcussions of Mansell’s retirement, the rumour mill at the time was having Senna re-sign for McLaren for a single year before joining Ferrari in 1992.

The Senna to Ferrari stories may have only just been rumours, but they were certainly contemporary and not just invented after his death.

#66 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 3,471 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:11

Autosport 26 Aug 1993

G08hGja.jpg

Autosport 2 Dec 1993

nr3dTxz.jpg

#67 Regazzoni

Regazzoni

• 1,567 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:23

That quote marked in red tallies with what Fiorio claims.

Now you have to find who says categorically he had signed a contract to race for Ferrari in 1996 before joining Williams.

#68 Regazzoni

Regazzoni

• 1,567 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 15:01

With work in the way - LOL - I obviously didn't read properly that interview.

That is December 1993 and it seems to dismiss any claim he might have signed for the red cars at that point. That is it, then.