Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

2019 Rallying thread (WRC, ERC, other series)

• Please log in to reply
599 replies to this topic

#301 Stephane

Stephane

• 2,227 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 09:02

One more driver for Hyundai, Breen joins Neuville and Mikkelsen for Finland.

Advertisement

#302 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 2,310 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 23:45

Turns out Paddon wasn't offered a single drive as reported when he was dropped. From his FB:

I will make one single post here about the current situation and our feelings, as for too long we have said nothing and tried to do the right thing. Firstly, happy for Craig and I wish him all the best for the rally.

I will point out all the talk that we turned down the offer of a 1 Rally drive with Hyundai is not correct and was blown out of proportion from media speculation. Originally there was talk of this when we first got news of no seat for 2019 last December, and at the time emotion was raw after being left high and dry. However nothing was formally discussed. Since February we have actively been in communication to be involved with the team in any role - testing, 1 off rallies (Finland).....anything. My passion is still very high for WRC and I feel I’m at my prime at present. I know the car well and was prepared to jump straight in and do a good job for the team.

So naturally you can understand we are very upset. I have given my life to this brand in everything I do. Our NZ business, our NZ Hyundai partnership, purchase of a TCR car, everything we possibly could do! And yet we were not even spoken to about this event despite us offering our services several times. Since we did our last rally in Australia, we have had very little communication from them - no acknowledgment of our time with them, no formal thank you, no heads up on the future.

I will say through all this, how much we appreciate the unconditional support from Hyundai NZ and how much they have my back. They fully support all our comments. Many people say we need to cut our ties – well, think of it this way, do you cut your ties for a couple of years in the WRC vs a potential lifetime partnership in this part of the world? It’s never as straightforward as most people think.

Big thanks to all your support. Means a lot. Again I stress this is nothing against Craig, I have nothing but respect for him and it’s only natural you take what opportunities you can.

#303 AlexLangheck

AlexLangheck

• 398 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:18

Pretty awful management from Hyundai.....

And it seems unless you come from certain countries, you really are up against it getting/ keeping a WRC seat. Coming from NZ shouldn't be an issue; hasn't stopped Dixon, Bamber, Hartley et al. Probably more a reflection on the sport??

#304 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 2,310 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:20

And it seems unless you come from certain countries, you really are up against it getting/ keeping a WRC seat. Coming from NZ shouldn't be an issue; hasn't stopped Dixon, Bamber, Hartley et al. Probably more a reflection on the sport??

To be fair Dixon immediately shone in Indycars but the move was never really on to F1, and Hartley's experience would suggest that there's more to being a driver from a European market than talent can make up for. 

#305 Stephane

Stephane

• 2,227 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:39

Bamber and Hartley are good examples. They were almost done with motorsport a few years ago, both giving it one last go that worked.

#306 Lennat

Lennat

• 1,444 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:51

Is this really a management issue? Isn't Hyundai's real problem that there is no at least tier 1B (on all surfaces) driver available full time? 

#307 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 2,310 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:12

Is this really a management issue? Isn't Hyundai's real problem that there is no at least tier 1B (on all surfaces) driver available full time? 

Loeb didn't want to do full time. Paddon would have champed at the bit to get a full season and more tarmac running. Not sure how he's meant to get better if he was going to get subbed out all the time. 

#308 sopa

sopa

• 12,208 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 09:14

How many drivers is Hyundai going to hire? What are they trying to achieve with it?

#309 messy

messy

• 4,082 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 09:26

I think there are plenty of good drivers out of a drive - Paddon, Breen, Ostberg....whether they're 'tier 1B' open to debate but I do think the greater issue is Hyundai's seeming inability to be happy with any of their drivers or help them through any rough times. They publicly slate them, drop them, 'tough love' without the love. Unless your name's Dani Sordo.

#310 OSX

OSX

• 4,852 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 21:23

Kalle Rovanpera Secures 2020 Toyota WRC Drive
26 June 2019

oC0FVS1.jpg

Kalle Rovanpera will step up to a Toyota works seat next season, making him the youngest ever full-time factory driver in the World Rally Championship, Autosport has learned.

The 18-year-old's management will invoke a clause in his two-year Skoda deal to depart his current employer at the end of the year.

Autosport's sources have indicated Rovanpera will drive a third Yaris WRC from the start of 2020.

All parties have denied the deal is done, but Rovanpera's manager Timo Jouhki believes the current WRC 2 Pro leader was ready for the step up.

More: Autosport.com

#311 tormave

tormave

• 1,617 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 21:34

Replacing Latvala I bet, if true.

#312 f1paul

f1paul

• 7,459 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 09:04

Katsuta will have two WRC starts in Germany and Spain later this year.

#313 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 2,310 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 20:59

Paddon returns for a one-off with M Sport. 

#314 BRG

BRG

• 17,515 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 17:11

One more driver for Hyundai, Breen joins Neuville and Mikkelsen for Finland.

And celebrates by dominating the Ypres Rally (although oddly in a R5 VW not an i20).  Only Abbring could keep him honest.  

#315 Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil

• 634 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 20:38

Paddon returns for a one-off with M Sport.

I am super chuffed for Hayden. I have no idea what his ceiling might be given his relative unfamiliarity with the car, but if he keeps it on the road I could very well see him slipping into the Top 5. And man, would I enjoy it if he were to finish above Mikkelsen.

#316 GeoffR

GeoffR

• 648 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 11:09

So what does the future hold for Oliver Sollberg? Currently 3rd in the USA Rally Championship and a super impressive display at the FOS.

#317 Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil

• 634 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 16:07

So what does the future hold for Oliver Sollberg? Currently 3rd in the USA Rally Championship and a super impressive display at the FOS.

I’m thinking that his ultimate career trajectory might depend a lot on where WorldRX is going in the next couple of years with manufacturer support and electrification. That being said, I would not be at all surprised to see him pop up on the World Championship level in his R5 Polo or even an M-Sport Fiesta at some point in 2020, though.

#318 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 8,996 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 17:18

I’m thinking that his ultimate career trajectory might depend a lot on where WorldRX is going in the next couple of years with manufacturer support and electrification. That being said, I would not be at all surprised to see him pop up on the World Championship level in his R5 Polo or even an M-Sport Fiesta at some point in 2020, though.

Not really likely. His RallyX Nordic is, even how strange it might sound as he is still very young, just for fun. He is aiming at rallying, the RX is seat time and practice. Next year will probably be different as he will be old enough to drive rallies wherever he likes.

#319 TauriJ

TauriJ

• 1,175 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 11:05

Solberg was amazing in Estonia.

Advertisement

#320 messy

messy

• 4,082 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 13:04

I am super chuffed for Hayden. I have no idea what his ceiling might be given his relative unfamiliarity with the car, but if he keeps it on the road I could very well see him slipping into the Top 5. And man, would I enjoy it if he were to finish above Mikkelsen.

For me Mikkelsen is the mystery that never ends. What do these top teams see in him?

Especially when you have Paddon, Breen and co out of the sport.

#321 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 8,996 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 16:15

For me Mikkelsen is the mystery that never ends. What do these top teams see in him?

Australia 2016, Germany 2017 I guess.

Also he was often running experimental setups etc in his VW days due to his VW Motorsport 2 car not counting towards any important points.

He seems to struggle bad with the Hyundai, but then again, Hyundai have never had all their drivers do well. It's not that many years since Neuville was degraded to the 3rd car and 2nd team there.

#322 Stephane

Stephane

• 2,227 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 14:02

Well ,

https://www.wrc.com/...31--12-12-.html

#323 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 2,310 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 19:02

Is there anyone out there with worse luck than Paddon? 

#324 Stephane

Stephane

• 2,227 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 13:40

Ogier to retire after his current contract (which runs to the end of 2020)

#325 Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil

• 634 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 19:09

Is there anyone out there with worse luck than Paddon?

Tänak?

Seriously though, what a disappointment. I saw the onboard (it was all over social media), and I don‘t thing anyone could‘ve avoided that shunt. Just glad him and John Kennard got away hardly worse for the wear.

Lastly, I saw somewhere on Facebook that Oliver Solberg confirmed that he current plan is to return to Rallycross only once his rallying career is finished.

It would‘ve been brilliant to have him in WRX at some point, but this is totally the right call. The kid is amazing, and I can‘t wait to see him and Petter compete in Wales. I probably won‘t make it there for the event, but you can bet my eyes will be glued to the screen of my tablet, watching as much of the broadcast as I can.

#326 tormave

tormave

• 1,617 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 17:02

Holy crap the battle at the top-4 between the three Toyotas and EP. Proper Rally Finland! Hope they all can keep it on the road until the end...

#327 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 8,996 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 17:13

Holy crap the battle at the top-4 between the three Toyotas and EP. Proper Rally Finland! Hope they all can keep it on the road until the end...

It's always weird when people decide to use letters to name drivers, and I am sitting here thinking who the burned banana this "EP" guys is, then I realized it is Esapekka. Never understood where that captial P comes from.

Oh well, this Rally Finland have potential to be exceptionally epic! It's not like Breen, Mikkelsen, Ogier is far behind either.

Edited by Myrvold, 02 August 2019 - 17:13.

#328 Wingcommander

Wingcommander

• 1,440 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 17:19

It's always weird when people decide to use letters to name drivers, and I am sitting here thinking who the burned banana this "EP" guys is, then I realized it is Esapekka. Never understood where that captial P comes from.

Oh well, this Rally Finland have potential to be exceptionally epic! It's not like Breen, Mikkelsen, Ogier is far behind either.

Esa and Pekka are two separate names. Usually it would be Esa-Pekka —> EP

#329 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 8,996 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 19:36

Esa and Pekka are two separate names. Usually it would be Esa-Pekka —> EP

Usually yes, but not for "our" man here. I cannot see anything pointing to anything other than Esapekka. Even his official webpage and twitter writes it this way.

I know it's a small, and fairly irrelevant thing, but it's confusing - just like when people start to use the TLA before the formula drivers gets their TLA. Then there was the whole VER/VER where some used VER for Vergne, some used VER for Verstappen, while the F1 broadcast used VES for Verstappen etc.

Oh well, I guess that's todays unneeded hang-up! :)

#330 noikeee

noikeee

• 16,305 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 21:24

Didn't we all love it when driver discussions around here were all JV DC MS JB FA JPM

#331 masa90

masa90

• 523 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 07:10

Myrvold it makes sense to the Finnish people. He is called "eepee" = EP in here.

What a rally it seems to be. Gotta catch all the broadcasts next week when get home. Go EP and rest of the finns.

#332 Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil

• 634 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 07:42

And just like that, we have one Toyota out of the rally and one that has had half its aero ripped away. Well, it was good while it lasted… it’s Tanak‘s rally to lose now.

#333 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 12,255 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 07:45

Toyota would have given win for Tänak anyway, but now we don't have to think about that sadly as it was a great rally.

#334 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 4,917 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 14:03

All-Electric Andros Trophy to start in December

https://e-racing365....rt-in-december/

#335 Jvr

Jvr

• 6,662 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 15:19

Meeke tweeting that the spectators told the stone was not there this morning.

https://twitter.com/...2050499584?s=20

Also tweets that the stone ended there after Tänak had passed the place in which both Kris and JM hit the same stone.

Do not know what to think.

Edited by Jvr, 03 August 2019 - 15:21.

#336 Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil

• 634 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 16:15

From the picture Seb Marshall took it looks like it‘s a place where you absolutely try to maximise the exit. Really frustrating to have two fast cars out of the fight for the podium because of something like that.

In happier news, I hope that Finland can be the confidence booster Lappi needs. He once again did really well today.

#337 Jvr

Jvr

• 6,662 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 18:13

Ogier landing after that final 60 metres+ jump at the end of the power stage.

:p 

neLNzVb.png

#338 TauriJ

TauriJ

• 1,175 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 18:36

Meeke tweeting that the spectators told the stone was not there this morning.

https://twitter.com/...2050499584?s=20

Also tweets that the stone ended there after Tänak had passed the place in which both Kris and JM hit the same stone.

Do not know what to think.

lol totally false claims by meeke

#339 tormave

tormave

• 1,617 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 15:11

I watched every special stage. Just didn't want to miss any of it. What a bloody brilliant race! They changed the format of the WRC+ coverage so that they cut to the next driver immediately after the previous one finishes, and then show the post-stage interview picture in picture. A lot better this way.

Happy for Tänak and Lappi (who also the non-Finnish drivers refer to as "EP" in interviews, sorry Myrvold I thought it was common knowledge). Mikkelsen and Breen were good, have to tip the cap to Ogier too for driving a full day after some kind of food poisoning on Saturday. Latvala was his usual fragile self, and Neuville was just out of it after Friday morning. Suninen's event was a bit of a mess - was too slow out of the gate and got stuck cleaning the road after. I think he got his issues sorted out by mid-Saturday, but there was just no way to tell.

Rovanperä beat the next fastest R5 by almost 3 minutes.

Advertisement

#340 Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil

• 634 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 19:02

After yesterday, I spent a bit of time thinking about the Toyota driver situation for 2020.

Obviously in the best-case scenario, they get Tänak to sign another multi-year contract and have Rovanperä learning at his knee for the next two years.

In that case, the choice for the third car would be between Latvala and Meeke. It’s a really hard choice to make either way – they both have the potential to be rapid, but also a certain propensity to sling their car into the next ditch – but as much as I like Meeke, Latvala would be the better choice. He’s already Toyota’s “elder statesman,” and Meeke, while solid at the start of the season, has fallen back into old habits.

If Tänak does decide to leave, though… Toyota is forked. At this point, neither Latvala nor Meeke are championship material, and Rovanperä… honestly, I haven’t seen enough of him to have full confidence he can deliver top results right away, althoufh I’ll gladly be proven wrong on that particular point.

Which is where I ran into a brick wall. I honestly don’t know what they’d do, Tänak is such a massive asset he’s literally impossible to replace. And I wouldn’t be surprised if Toyota knows what they would do at the present moment either. Getting a bit wild here, but since we don’t have a dedicated silly season thread… could they get Sunninen or Evans (surely the former is more preferable) from Ford? That could open the door for Paddon or Latvala, potentially. Deal Latvala to Citroën outright and get Lappi back? Mikkelsen and Ostberg might be looking for new gigs, as are Breen and Paddon. The possibilities are almost endless, and one unlikelier than the next, but none come even close to keeping Tänak. Which only goes to show the massive dilemma they’re in. Tommi Mäkinen will be praying that #8 Toyota holds up in Germany. Somehow I think we might be getting a decision before we go to Turkey…

#341 TF110

TF110

• 3,064 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 19:38

Where is Tanak going to go that would give him the chance at the title? If you feel like the cars will be in the same state as they are this year, staying at Toyota is a no-brainer. He'll probably take the title. The Toyota's are rapid everywhere. The others are not. 

#342 Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil

• 634 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 21:06

Where is Tanak going to go that would give him the chance at the title? If you feel like the cars will be in the same state as they are this year, staying at Toyota is a no-brainer. He'll probably take the title. The Toyota's are rapid everywhere. The others are not.

Honestly, I agree. I think, much like Ogier in 2017 and 2018, Tänak would be good enough to drag a slightly subpar car into title contention. But I can’t really imagine Tänak anywhere else anymore. His successes in the past two years have really marked him as a Toyota man for me. Even putting aside how he’d slot into any of the other lineups, the Toyota is not going to lose much ground on the others unless they hit a massive wall with car development.

The Fiesta is… okay, I guess. Slightly harder to place due to their drivers – Sunninen in particular – not being known quantities in the way that Ogier, Neuville and Tänak/Latvala are for their respective teams. (Evans has always been a mystery to me as well. Could he be a late bloomer like Tänak or will he soon be overshadowed by Sunninen?) M-Sports biggest draw would probably be the allure of the prodigal son returning and bringing the title back to Cumbria.

Hyundai is once again the picture of inconsistency, ranging from class of the field to potentially worst depending on the profile and surface of the given rally. Neuville has also proven unable to control his teammates in the way his title rivals do. I am convinced Tänak would have his number after half a season at the latest. I don’t think Neuville would have any reason to complain about being “demoted” after three blown chances at the title, but would Tänak and Adamo work well together?

Citroën is totally out of the question, at least for me, both due to Ogier’s presence and issues they still have with the C3 itself.

#343 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 8,996 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 23:07

Happy for Tänak and Lappi (who also the non-Finnish drivers refer to as "EP" in interviews, sorry Myrvold I thought it was common knowledge).

Does sound like it's me that have missed something here. Maybe I am just to used to "Firstname Lastname - FL" and reading surnames that I got confused. Probably not the last time, but I'll do my best to remember that one for the next time :)

#344 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 8,996 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 23:10

In that case, the choice for the third car would be between Latvala and Meeke. It’s a really hard choice to make either way – they both have the potential to be rapid, but also a certain propensity to sling their car into the next ditch – but as much as I like Meeke, Latvala would be the better choice. He’s already Toyota’s “elder statesman,” and Meeke, while solid at the start of the season, has fallen back into old habits.

Been some rumours about Østberg, that he and Rovanpërä will replace Latvala, Meeke. Then again, Østberg is more likely do get a 3rd Citroën.

I think the main reason he left M-Sport was due to Ogier, that reason is not there anymore. Tänak and Wilson will probably get back together again, if it is already in 2020, who knows.

#345 Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil

• 634 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:58

https://www.autospor...-hyundai-msport

Good.

Let‘s hope the Yaris doesn‘t break down in Germany…

#346 taz

taz

• 382 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 15:19

Bottas testing a Fiesta WRC in Germany

#347 Peat

Peat

• 4,730 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 12:54

That there Neuville did quite well on his track debut, eh?

#348 Amz964

Amz964

• 407 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 20:27

Surprised nobody has mentioned rally Germany this weekend. One of my personal favourite rallies of the year. However looks like normal service has resumed with Tanak leading but Nueville not far behind and Ogier as always waiting in the wings.

#349 piszkosfred

piszkosfred

• 322 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 23:10

Tomorrow afternoon will be the decider I think, not just because the longer stages but usually the punctures happen there. Also more open and faster stages, that should favour Toyota a little.

#350 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,768 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 14:18

A spectator had a lucky escape after falling into the road in front of Østberg:

https://twitter.com/...013790896902144