Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

2019 Rallying thread (WRC, ERC, other series)

• Please log in to reply
599 replies to this topic

#351 Stephane

Stephane

• 2,227 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 14:23

Neuville stopped in stage, lost about a minute

Advertisement

#352 Stephane

Stephane

• 2,227 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 14:45

It was a puncture.

#353 Stephane

Stephane

• 2,227 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 18:17

Ogier's turn todeflate a tyre.

#354 Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil

• 634 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 18:20

That was a helluva run from Kris through Panzerplatte. Very impressive time.

#355 Amz964

Amz964

• 407 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 19:17

That was a helluva run from Kris through Panzerplatte. Very impressive time.

Indeed very fast time from him. Toyota 123 now and Ogier now out of the running for good points. If Tanak wins tomorrow he surely has one hand on the trophy he is on another league at the moment.

On a side note I know Sunninen had cleaner roads then most people today but his stage times have been good throughout today so got to wonder what he and Evans could have done this weekend. M Sport have a very good car on tarmac and is a shame can't be displayed.

#356 messy

messy

• 4,082 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 19:52

Meeke needs this result badly. He’s either played it too safe or ended up Kris Meeking it so far this year.

A good P2 would be a big one.

Also - I think it’s starting to become clear that - finally - the guard is changing. Ogier has a mountain to climb to win another title as things stand. Realistically, it’s not happening this year. About time.

Edited by messy, 24 August 2019 - 19:53.

#357 Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil

• 634 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 08:28

Is it just me or has Ogier been unusually frank about the car‘s performance this weekend? “I can’t drive this car,” is what he said at the end of the first Power Stage run. The Citroën looks like the slowest car this weekend (even though Sunninen had favourable road conditions and no pressure), but even then the gap towards the Toyotas and Hyundais seems… sizable.

#358 Stephane

Stephane

• 2,227 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 11:18

Neuville gets the 5 points of the PS (maybe two more points if Sordo is checking late somewhere).

Ogier gets one point.

Tanak taking it easy with brakes worries, but still ahead in a TOyota 1-2-3.

#359 noikeee

noikeee

• 16,305 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 11:19

Tanak wins, Toyota 1-2-3 is done.

Starting to look like this might finally be the year someone breaks the Sebastians' grip on the WRC. Still, all it takes is a DNF for Tanak whilst Ogier wins for him to get straight back into contention... It looks unlikely right now with Ogier and Citroën going backwards, but never rule him out.

Advertisement

#360 Jvr

Jvr

• 6,662 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 15:12

Positions suffled as both Sordo and Lappi took post race penalties.

I can understand this, but it feels so wrong, especially after already having finished the last stage.

"Dani Sordo completed the stages in fourth, but the Spaniard sacrificed the place when he incurred a penalty by leaving the final service late to allow team-mate Neuville to move up from fifth and collect more championship points.

There were more team tactics behind. Esapekka Lappi was sixth, but adopted the same strategy as Sordo to enable Citroën C3 team leader Sébastien Ogier to climb from eighth to seventh. Lappi dropped two places and Andreas Mikkelsen also profited as he inherited sixth."

Edited by Jvr, 25 August 2019 - 15:19.

#361 Yamamoto

Yamamoto

• 853 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 19:53

We're going to crown a new champ this year.

#362 masa90

masa90

• 523 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 19:55

Yeah it seems like nothing can stop Tänak. He has driven an amazing season so fully deserved.

I just hope that there will not be a single car+driver dominating for years to come.

#363 messy

messy

• 4,082 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 22:36

Lappi dropping from sixth to eighth seems a step too far to me, but I’m not overly bothered about Sordo switching positions with Neuville. Double standard maybe, but I’ve always thought that if a team finish say 4th and 5th with their two drivers and the guy behind is in title contention, it’s dumb not to do a swap. It’s a team sport. But Lappi didn’t deserve to have to give up his sixth place, finishing two places ahead of Ogier.

#364 messy

messy

• 4,082 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 22:37

Yeah it seems like nothing can stop Tänak. He has driven an amazing season so fully deserved.

I just hope that there will not be a single car+driver dominating for years to come.

I do wonder if in a couple of years we’ll be wishing Tanak had made that switch back to M-Sport after all....

The best driver in the best car, we know how that goes.

#365 Bleu

Bleu

• 2,855 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 06:22

Lappi dropping from sixth to eighth seems a step too far to me, but I’m not overly bothered about Sordo switching positions with Neuville. Double standard maybe, but I’ve always thought that if a team finish say 4th and 5th with their two drivers and the guy behind is in title contention, it’s dumb not to do a swap. It’s a team sport. But Lappi didn’t deserve to have to give up his sixth place, finishing two places ahead of Ogier.

Agreed, I think it's OK as long as it affects positions inside the team only. But giving another team a position is a no-no.

#366 tormave

tormave

• 1,617 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 15:54

I think Huyndai might've told Mikkelsen to slow down to have Lappi finish ahead of him. Mikkelsen destroyed Lappi on the 1st run of the power stage, but lost out on the 2nd pass. They did this to make it harder for Citroen to have Lappi let Ogier by. Mikkelsen wasn't scoring MFG points, so it was irrelevant to both Citroen and Huyndai whether he was ahead or behind Lappi.

EDIT: fantastic win for Ott and Tommi's Toyota team.

Edited by tormave, 26 August 2019 - 15:55.

#367 Stephane

Stephane

• 2,227 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 16:49

But then, Lappi sacrified two places.

#368 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 4,917 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 08:17

Missed this in the news cycle when it was actually announced but...

Paddon unveils world-first electric rally car project
https://www.motorspo...yundai/4515520/

hayden-paddon-hyundai-motorspo.jpg

The car is in the design stage now and is expected to be testing for the first time in April, 2020.

The aim of the Kona EV is to be the first rally car capable of completing a full-length event with only electric power.

Edited by Vielleicht, 01 September 2019 - 08:17.

#369 Jvr

Jvr

• 6,662 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 13:41

So much drama in Turkey: all the punctures, the rain on yesterday, Neuville going off, Tänak losing electricity etc. etc.

Add on top of that how impressed I am with the helicopter crews flying slalom in between the windmills and below their blades while providing the coverage.

#370 messy

messy

• 4,082 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 14:12

The sea is parting to let Ogier back to the party. As ever.

#371 Amz964

Amz964

• 407 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 11:23

Ogier wins rally turkey and now put himself right back in the fight again.

#372 noikeee

noikeee

• 16,305 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 11:47

Corsica and Catalunya out for next year  :cry: I like tarmac rallies.

On the upside, Kenya being back, how mad is that!!

https://www.autospor...tralia-for-2020

#373 Amz964

Amz964

• 407 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 14:03

Corsica and Catalunya out for next year :cry: I like tarmac rallies.

On the upside, Kenya being back, how mad is that!!

https://www.autospor...tralia-for-2020

Same here love tarmac rallies although getting one back through rally Japan but there needs to be another one too many gravel rallies in my opinion, rally Ireland perhaps?

Same cannot wait for Kenya although it's probably going to be a tame version of the beast rally it once was.

#374 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 8,996 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 14:12

Same cannot wait for Kenya although it's probably going to be a tame version of the beast rally it once was.

It will. They cant have anything over 350km special stages in total. So it's sort of becoming Sprint Rally Kenya.

#375 Amz964

Amz964

• 407 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 16:16

It will. They cant have anything over 350km special stages in total. So it's sort of becoming Sprint Rally Kenya.

Oh what didn't know that. From the old safari rally videos didn't that used to be 1 day in Kenya?

Edited by Amz964, 27 September 2019 - 16:17.

#376 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 1,358 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 16:39

NZ back, which is marvellous news, and well deserved, Australia offered very little since the move away from Perth. I'm conflicted about the 'Safari'....a watered down version is unfortunate but utterly predictable. Putting a limit of 350km on events is a mistake in my view. 

Only 2 pure (not counting the Monte) Tarmac rounds in a 14 round calendar is poor. I don't really know why the FiA has a problem with the surface. 

#377 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,296 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 16:46

Missed this in the news cycle when it was actually announced but...

Paddon unveils world-first electric rally car project
https://www.motorspo...yundai/4515520/

hayden-paddon-hyundai-motorspo.jpg

As someone who competed on an International rally in a competitive group 4 car back in the day...while counting the pennies..How much for that beastie? :eek:

#378 Amz964

Amz964

• 407 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 16:49

Only 2 pure (not counting the Monte) Tarmac rounds in a 14 round calendar is poor. I don't really know why the FiA has a problem with the surface.

This... I don't know why there is a lack of balance between gravel and tarmac I love tarmac rallies personally especially in the new generation of cars, there needs to be more like Ireland or even a return to San Remo.

When watching the 2002 and 2003 season on YouTube there was 4 pure tarmac events Corsica, Spain, Germany and San Remo with Monte being mixed.

Edited by Amz964, 27 September 2019 - 16:52.

#379 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,296 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 16:54

Same here love tarmac rallies although getting one back through rally Japan but there needs to be another one too many gravel rallies in my opinion, rally Ireland perhaps?

Some exceptions have to be made for rallying on the African continent.Just like back then surely.?

Advertisement

#380 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 8,996 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 17:14

Oh what didn't know that. From the old safari rally videos didn't that used to be 1 day in Kenya?

Or even half a day. I think the shortest WRC Rally Safari in "modern times" (post Gr.B) was 1000km of stages (not including eventual cancellations of parts of stages due to bad roads etc.). IIRC reading about it when there was talk about a return, was that in the mid 90's (and looking at the years, I guess 96, as in 95 it was only a 2l event, not a WRC event), it was almost 750km of stages in a day.

#381 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 8,996 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 17:27

Some exceptions have to be made for rallying on the African continent.Just like back then surely.?

Not a chance. It's the reason why Monte Carlo went down from being 380-450km to 325km this year. The max length of a rally was shortened from a possible 500km, to 350km for 2019. IIRC the minimum is 300km, so "all" rallies are quite similar.

Also, note that there cannot be more than 80km between service parks/tyre fitting zones. Which basically means in the old, proper Safari there would've been service/tyre fitting after every single stage, and many stages would've been shortened.

I guess this years Safari is a good one to look at. 262km of stages over 2 days. 150km on day one and 112 on day two. Then add, let's say, 60km of stages on day 3, and you got yourself a modern WRC rally, ending mid-day Sunday for the live-coverage of the Power Stage. No stages over 40km and 60-70km between each service.

Do not hope for an unique Safari experience, other than the fact that the roads are still in Africa. But the days of long rallies are gone. Now all rallies have to stay within extremely strict FIA guidelines. Because, the one thing we cannot have, is something to be a bit different and unique...

#382 BRG

BRG

• 17,515 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 17:57

Agree on the imbalance of tarmac vs gravel events.  We could drop some of the rough rallies and bring in an Irish and a Belgian round.  The two most rally-mad countries (OK with Finland too) and not represented in the WRC.  :rolleyes:

As for the Safari, people need to forget the old Safari which was a throwback to the old days.  Rallies in Europe used to be 1000s of Km on open roads until traffic density made it impractical.  The same has happened in Africa but a few decades later.  The empty roads that they used to race along at hair-raising speeds are increasingly full of trucks and matutus and cars.  The modern teams aren't going to risk fatal crashes with buses full of ladies en route to market.  And keeping stages secure will be a lot harder in Kenya, I suspect, so hoping for lengthy stages isn't realistic.  I agree about the 'one size fits all' principle squeezing any distinctive character out of rallies, but we seem to be stuck with it.

#383 tormave

tormave

• 1,617 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 18:03

Kenya is a bit different country today than it was when the original Safari Rally was run. Back then there were no special stages, and the roads were not closed to other traffic IIRC. There are a few more cars on the roads of Kenya these days I wager, so putting WRC cars into the mix at rally speed is simply not an option.

EDIT: BRG was faster

Edited by tormave, 27 September 2019 - 18:04.

#384 tormave

tormave

• 1,617 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 18:10

I agree about the 'one size fits all' principle squeezing any distinctive character out of rallies, but we seem to be stuck with it.

The "one size fits all" principle is probably why we still have WRC. I bet it saves the teams a ginormous amount of money when they can take a same-size team to every event, and they don't need to move those guys around when there.

#385 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 8,996 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 18:14

The "one size fits all" principle is probably why we still have WRC. I bet it saves the teams a ginormous amount of money when they can take a same-size team to every event, and they don't need to move those guys around when there.

And yet they move more rallies out of Europe where virtually everyone are based. And throws NZ in the middle of EU-rallies, instead of together with Japan (at least Mexico, Chile, Argentina are in a row). That will just drive up costs. If less rallies per year is what's needed to have more variety (why go down from a maximum 500km to 350km for 2019?) then I'd rather have that.

#386 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 1,358 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 20:31

And yet they move more rallies out of Europe where virtually everyone are based. And throws NZ in the middle of EU-rallies, instead of together with Japan (at least Mexico, Chile, Argentina are in a row). That will just drive up costs. If less rallies per year is what's needed to have more variety (why go down from a maximum 500km to 350km for 2019?) then I'd rather have that.

I have to laugh about teams, manufacturers, etc complaining about costs.......then spend mega money on new WRCars, VIP/ service area structures, wanting more global events, etc

Personally speaking, a 14 round series of identikit 2 & a bit day events is not what I hoped the WRC would end up like. I understand why it's like that; easily packed events/ infrastructure that moves from event to event and a regular Sunday lunch time made for TV Power stage....

However, I'd much prefer 8-10 events of mixed format allowing a  3-4 full days for the Monte & GB and a 4 day Safari type event which is a mix of the old & modern. 

Alas, endurance is not really welcomed in the modern sport; fortunately GT/Sportscars still has this element, and that's were I get my endurance motorsport kicks nowadays.

#387 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,296 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 20:48

I have to laugh about teams, manufacturers, etc complaining about costs.......then spend mega money on new WRCars, VIP/ service area structures, wanting more global events, etc

Personally speaking, a 14 round series of identikit 2 & a bit day events is not what I hoped the WRC would end up like. I understand why it's like that; easily packed events/ infrastructure that moves from event to event and a regular Sunday lunch time made for TV Power stage....

However, I'd much prefer 8-10 events of mixed format allowing a  3-4 full days for the Monte & GB and a 4 day Safari type event which is a mix of the old & modern. 

Alas, endurance is not really welcomed in the modern sport; fortunately GT/Sportscars still has this element, and that's were I get my endurance motorsport kicks nowadays.

Not a chance. It's the reason why Monte Carlo went down from being 380-450km to 325km this year. The max length of a rally was shortened from a possible 500km, to 350km for 2019. IIRC the minimum is 300km, so "all" rallies are quite similar.

Also, note that there cannot be more than 80km between service parks/tyre fitting zones. Which basically means in the old, proper Safari there would've been service/tyre fitting after every single stage, and many stages would've been shortened.

I guess this years Safari is a good one to look at. 262km of stages over 2 days. 150km on day one and 112 on day two. Then add, let's say, 60km of stages on day 3, and you got yourself a modern WRC rally, ending mid-day Sunday for the live-coverage of the Power Stage. No stages over 40km and 60-70km between each service.

Do not hope for an unique Safari experience, other than the fact that the roads are still in Africa. But the days of long rallies are gone. Now all rallies have to stay within extremely strict FIA guidelines. Because, the one thing we cannot have, is something to be a bit different and unique...

My point exactly. What's the point a sprint Safari Rally?...Safari is about endurance ...While we are there - Lets run a Dakar Rally on paved roads shall we.. :rolleyes:

#388 ceesvdelst

ceesvdelst

• 148 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 23:19

The issue with a Safari event, is that to make it a proper Safari, you have to use special cars as they did even from the start, Acroplois was always deemed rougher in ways, because they used almost normal gravel cars on normal special stages, rather than the Safari type long, routes on public African roads. 

In the 90's you had tarmac, gravel, Greece and Safari cars really. Silly costs wise, but people are right when you see the expense on hospitality and car development and numbers, there is no real reason to keep it that way for every round. 

I am staggered there is not more asphalt, but there never has been, only really Corsica, Catalunya, Monte is a lottery.  Sanremo changes its mind, .

Coz of Neuville Ypres would be massive, there needs to be Estona now coz of Tanak, its a great event.

Needs a spice up.

And Ireland tried it, but for some reason it did not last, no idea why. 

#389 BRG

BRG

• 17,515 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 20:02

That's true but there is more to variety than just having more than one service halt.  How about running serious night stages, how about mixed surface stages (50-50, I mean, not just a little bit of one surface).  And actually, if you have got your team all the way to the location in Chile or NZ or Japan, it wouldn't really cost much more to have several service points, say 100 kms apart.  After all, the team just sit on their arses for much of the day, apart from the dozen people staring at computers for no good reason.

#390 Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder

• 130 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 23:14

Llandudno prom is already being transformed for RallyGB next week with the motorhomes etc already getting built up. Anyone able to give us a preview of the event?

#391 BRG

BRG

• 17,515 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 20:08

A few small changes this year.  For some reason, a ceremonial start in Liverpool, and then a stage on Thursday evening at Oulton Park (When was the rally last there?).  Otherwise the stages are pretty similar to last year, except for a curious stage on the promenade at Colwyn Bay.  All the recent rain should see conditions nice and muddy in true RAC Rally style.  Tanak to win unless Evans plays his home country joker and surprises everyone again!

#392 NorthEast

NorthEast

• 128 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 20:20

Llandudno prom is already being transformed for RallyGB next week with the motorhomes etc already getting built up. Anyone able to give us a preview of the event?

This guy, provides an excellent preview of every event:

https://itgetsfaster...-rally-gb-2019/

#393 tormave

tormave

• 1,617 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 17:46

That's true but there is more to variety than just having more than one service halt.  How about running serious night stages, how about mixed surface stages (50-50, I mean, not just a little bit of one surface).  And actually, if you have got your team all the way to the location in Chile or NZ or Japan, it wouldn't really cost much more to have several service points, say 100 kms apart.  After all, the team just sit on their arses for much of the day, apart from the dozen people staring at computers for no good reason.

Can I ask what kind of addition to the spectator experience the variety would bring that is currently lacking? Nighttime stages are great for the drivers, but as a spectator by the road or on TV it's a bit less exciting when you can't see anything but the ultra bright lights flash by. And yes, I have been blinded by Quattros, 037s, 205s, Deltas, etc. with full lights in the Finnish forests back in the day.

The teams don't just service the cars in the service park, that's also the hospitality to their guests, and marketing opportunity to the general public. Tommi Mäkinen compared their visitor metrics in different rallies in an interview, which told me these are important enough for the teams to track. The service park presence is clearly an important value driver for the team, rather than a bunch mechanics sitting on their asses. They want to set up this experience in many countries (hence more rallies), but want it in a consistent place with frequent visits by the cars and their drivers to drive up interest (hence the clover-leaf format with a single service park).

They've been tinkering with the rally weekend formula, and I think they've pretty much got it nailed now. Friday is super important, because if you're not on the pace, you'll be cleaning the road for the rest of the weekend. On Saturday we have the clash between those from Friday who best leveraged their optimum starting positions vs the fastest drivers from the front. Sunday is the finale of that battle, and the power stage to top it off. Having 5 drivers score extra points made PS better. I wish they would give each driver new tyres for the power stage, the level of tyre saving on Sunday for some crews is a bit silly. Sure you could make the event longer, but I think we're at the ceiling of content volume for those like me who watch every stage from beginning to end.

I get we used to have much more variety inside a rally in the good old days, but there still is a big difference between the road character from one event to the next, which also significantly impacts which team or driver is doing well. The more restricted format allows for superb live video coverage. I've been a rallying fan from the early 80s and it's never, I repeat neve been this competitive and entertaining for me. Not even close! I get the awesome Group B days (I was there), but at least for me the only coverage from the overseas events in the 80s was a motorsport magazine 2 months after the fact. Now on a rally Saturday I have 4 stages to see when I wake up and 4 more live a bit later.

#394 BRG

BRG

• 17,515 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 18:35

Can I ask what kind of addition to the spectator experience the variety would bring that is currently lacking?

The first rally stage I ever went to was at night.  Brake discs glowing red, spot lights flaring, it was magic.  The Col de Turini at night was one of the greatest rally spectacles ever.   A few more night time stages would be good, not entire rallies though.

I know that Service Parks are more than tinkering with the cars, but presumably the guests that you seem to consider more important than the rest of us, go out to actually watch the cars in action?  If not, then to hell with them.  If so, then they can be carted back to a different service area as easily as to the first one.  And who knows, they might even enjoy the experience more?

Making every event comply with the same restricting model is just squeezing the life out of the WRC.  It needs a breath of fresh air.  

#395 tormave

tormave

• 1,617 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 20:33

The first rally stage I ever went to was at night.  Brake discs glowing red, spot lights flaring, it was magic.  The Col de Turini at night was one of the greatest rally spectacles ever.   A few more night time stages would be good, not entire rallies though.

I know that Service Parks are more than tinkering with the cars, but presumably the guests that you seem to consider more important than the rest of us, go out to actually watch the cars in action?  If not, then to hell with them.  If so, then they can be carted back to a different service area as easily as to the first one.  And who knows, they might even enjoy the experience more?

Making every event comply with the same restricting model is just squeezing the life out of the WRC.  It needs a breath of fresh air.  

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the night stage thing. I agree it was super cool for the first few cars, but for me it got boring quick. If I have a choice between going to watch a day or a night stage, there's no contest.

I don't personally care about the service park experience, but I know the teams do. I bet there are more people visiting the service park than remote special stages, just because it's a pita to get to a SS. At least with the current format you get to see the cars twice for the effort. I realize the teams do rally as a marketing exercise, so I'm sympathetic to their desire to be where the people are. Putting the service park near a big city just makes a ton of sense from this point of view. The same goes for the point and squirt city stages - they make for crap viewing generally, but that's where the punters are. 

As long as WRC has awesome cars, great coverage, this many manufacturers, and a competitive series, I'm struggling to see the life being squeezed out. It was irrelevant / dying for years, and is just way better now than in ages.

#396 ceesvdelst

ceesvdelst

• 148 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 21:01

The thing with rally has always been trying to make it interesting as a tv sport.

I think really it has always struggled unless you have interest from a national driver or two of them as we had in the late 90's early 00's, then it was an easy sell.

But since then it's been hard to sell it tv wise.

As a fan rallying gives you tons more than most motorsport, even in the heavily restricted world of UK rallying, in some forests you can still wander, if you are not stupid and know where you are going, but even single venues at night or dusk are fun, have been to a few that have been decided on the last stage. And in Europe especially places like Belgium, Italy and France it is thriving, great rallies, locals loving it etc.

I think WRC needs a shakeup, needs to go back to basics more, we all scoff at spectator day in the early days, but it got tens of thousands out there in the cold, more so than modern allying would do. But I think they like the lower numbers, easy to manage. 

#397 tormave

tormave

• 1,617 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 21:27

TV is dead as a sports medium.

MotoGP is only available through a streaming service at least here in the US, it's not on any TV channel. Rally doesn't fit any broadcasting schedule live anyway, and the formulaic 30-minute highlight shows are probably equally boring to the hardcore as to the casual fans. WRC Plus is _really_ good. The helicopter shots they had in Turkey swooping between windmills were simply breathtaking. They actually mentioned it during the stream, that the helicopter crew loves All Live, because now they are asked to create hours of content every day. Back when live didn't exist, it was a few minutes of the leaders.

#398 Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil

• 634 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 21:44

As buggy as the app can be, All Live is, to me, the quintessential motorsports streaming experience. We get (mostly) fantastic shots, hours of live content, a rotating cast of commentators, great guests (I actually found myself thinking that I wouldn’t mind having Mads Ostberg on the mic more often), and, of course, all the sporting drama that tends to accompany a weekend full of nutters going fast through forests.

To take but the most prominent example, All Live is everything F1TV has so far tried and failed to be, without a dedicated commentary, but with an unedited world feed that makes you miss pre-and post-session coverage, prerecorded interviews and pit lane segments specific to whatever national broadcaster they’re taking the audio from. That, and F1 have stretched themselves way too thin with shows on Twitter, YouTube and the actual sessions on F1TV. I get that there are reasons for that (mainly Sky UK, I suspect), but I really like the way it’s done on All Live much better.

#399 tormave

tormave

• 1,617 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 02:02

Wow it’s so close! Who will blink first tomorrow?

Advertisement

#400 Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil

• 634 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 07:20

I don‘t dare make a prediction.

That being said, I wonder what‘ll come of the chicane deviation story, given that two of the three title contenders (and, more importantly, the chasing ones) are involved.