Photo
- - - - -

GEN 2 unleashed in Marrakesh! [Formula E 18/19, Round 02]

• Please log in to reply
419 replies to this topic

Poll: GEN 2 unleashed in Marrakesh! [Formula E 18/19, Round 02] (33 member(s) have cast votes)

What are you looking forward the most in Marrakesh?

1. Gen 1 VS Gen 2 lap time comparison! (15 votes [35.71%])

Percentage of vote: 35.71%

2. Pascal Wehrlein's debut (4 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

3. A clean weekend for a better understanding of the pecking order! (10 votes [23.81%])

Percentage of vote: 23.81%

4. Gen 2 cars on a faster track (9 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

5. Stoffel Vandoorne's chassis problems (4 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#401 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

• 2,096 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 20:58

RE: Fanboost:

1. No idea, its pointless anyway and hardly noticeable. 

It wasn't really noticeable here but last time out Vergne who was just behind Da Costa in the final stages of the race, and catching him, but had to suffer Da Costa getting fanboost when he didn't which reduced his chance of catching him. In other words it perverted the result and reduced the chance of one driver in a fair contest and prevented a grandstand finish. Shame on FE. 

Advertisement

#402 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 8,243 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 21:24

Gotta say that the thread was as good as the race. Really got a Indycar/IMSA feelgood vibe to it and I wholeheartedly welcome that. Kudos y'all.

Will try my best to be live for the next one. Jerome's cries of joy are a thing of legend already.

#403 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 6,533 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 21:45

Gotta say that the thread was as good as the race. Really got a Indycar/IMSA feelgood vibe to it and I wholeheartedly welcome that. Kudos y'all.

Will try my best to be live for the next one. Jerome's cries of joy are a thing of legend already.

That's beacause Autosport's community is the #bestcommunity!    :up:  :up:  :up:

24341.png

yep

And i agree that it's best to keep that Indycar/IMSA tone & fun on it: no need to follow the super serious F1 routes   :smoking: 

Anyway

I was re-watching Sam Bird's Pole Lap, than i watched last year's Buemi one.

Difference is big.

Think about when they'll run 250 kW in races, or even more, in the near future with Gen 3. Exciting times ahead!  :smoking:

NO! No need for slicks & cars on rails. I love to see the driver fighting with the steering wheel

Edited by thegamer23, 13 January 2019 - 21:53.

#404 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 853 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 21:52

Grand Prix racing became a world class spectacle when the cars were slower than Formula E.

Slower in absolute numbers, but right at the edge of what was technologically possible, this was the attraction

I actually don't think it ever was. It's been limited by regulations designed to restrain speed since 1906. The current cars lap nowhere near as quickly as they could without rules, but the racing would be unwatchable.

#405 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 10,288 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 22:04

I actually don't think it ever was. It's been limited by regulations designed to restrain speed since 1906. The current cars lap nowhere near as quickly as they could without rules, but the racing would be unwatchable.

I was not talking about the current F1 cars of course. I agree that there were regulations from the start, but people did try very hard to go as fast as possible, and the death toll speaks for itself. I think we can agree that FE (and F1 today) are very restricted, designed fun sports compared to the past.

Edited by KnucklesAgain, 13 January 2019 - 22:04.

#406 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 25,801 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 22:26

Calderon deserves a drive.
Jp

#407 NorwegianRudo

NorwegianRudo

• 357 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 22:59

Calderon deserves a drive.
Jp

OK, let's not go completely insane here. Yes, she did well today, but she is nowhere close yet. She's got a drive in F2 I believe, let's see how she does there.

Keep in mind that Nico Muller who has been fastest in the rookie test for two straight years, and set new track records both years, doesn't have a drive yet...

#408 BalanceUT

BalanceUT

• 1,462 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:42

The dentist drill sound

Adjust the equalizer on your sound system to reduce the high frequencies. Solved. 

#409 BalanceUT

BalanceUT

• 1,462 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:51

I wonder what Max Verstappen thought of all that sitting in the stewards room...

I'm glad they avoided showing his face on TV (as far as I saw, at least). If he'd gotten publicity out of doing his 'service stint' it would have been more reward than service (no way to argue it's punishment, IMO)

#410 BalanceUT

BalanceUT

• 1,462 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 03:23

I very much enjoyed watching that race. When F1 is on, I watch the start, then, once the leader has settled in I don't pay much attention until pit stops get going, then it's a parade to the end unless someone screws up. Which is cool, I guess. I still like it, but don't pay close attention. It's more or less on TV in the background, catching my attention when interesting things happen. 

I watched this closely from start to finish, more or less. That's a huge difference in entertaining engagement with fans. 

Hated how safety car ruined the ending. After Saudi Arabia I argued that it was no big deal and timed races were necessary. But, two races in a row... well, those arguing for laps have a point. But, the energy usage issue is real for these cars. Bring them into the pits when they'd otherwise use a safety car and they go back out in order that they were on track at the point of SC being called, released with delays equal to the time between the cars when the SC was called. 

Edited by BalanceUT, 14 January 2019 - 03:25.

#411 RSRally

RSRally

• 606 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 05:44

I very much enjoyed watching that race. When F1 is on, I watch the start, then, once the leader has settled in I don't pay much attention until pit stops get going, then it's a parade to the end unless someone screws up. Which is cool, I guess. I still like it, but don't pay close attention. It's more or less on TV in the background, catching my attention when interesting things happen.

I watched this closely from start to finish, more or less. That's a huge difference in entertaining engagement with fans.

The racing was so close and there was so much happening I barely had time to check the leaderboard during the race and keep up with who was where!

True that the BMWs had pulled out a small lead before their coming together but i’m not too worried about them dominating going forwards.. I don’t think we’ve really seen what Techeetah can do yet and Audi haven’t managed to extract the maximum from their car yet either.

#412 midgrid

midgrid

• 7,181 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:13

Try this...

https://www.youtube....h?v=jSotKfOCTK8

Geoblocked! Never mind, I'll wait until my holiday is over.

#413 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 25,801 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 10:55

OK, let's not go completely insane here. Yes, she did well today, but she is nowhere close yet. She's got a drive in F2 I believe, let's see how she does there.

Sorry... you’re correct. I had forgotten about her F2 drive.
Much better idea.
Jp

#414 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 12,878 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:30

Another fun race to watch, but there is something distinctively Indycar about the series, its comically amateur in places from driving standards to production... Most endearing! 

Really not a fan of fan boost, was it 3 of the 5 drivers who got it were not even in the race by the time the results were announced - that's pretty stupid. 

Loving the fact the cars are a handful at 250 power and seem to be a real handful under brakes = proper racing!!! 

#415 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 853 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:50

Really not a fan of fan boost, was it 3 of the 5 drivers who got it were not even in the race by the time the results were announced - that's pretty stupid.

But better than if all 5 were in the race. One day it'll affect a race win, there'll be huge outcry, and it will be dumped.

#416 Anja

Anja

• 3,107 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 12:01

Sorry... you’re correct. I had forgotten about her F2 drive.
Much better idea.
Jp

It's not confirmed yet, but very likely. 

#417 BRG

BRG

• 16,220 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 16:24

NO! No need for slicks & cars on rails. I love to see the driver fighting with the steering wheel

I have been known to disagree with you sometimes, but we are as one on this.  If only the rest of the racing world could get it through their thick heads....

#418 MustangSally

MustangSally

• 1,103 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:00

Can anyone tell me what kind of budget and personnel numbers the FE teams have?

#419 NorwegianRudo

NorwegianRudo

• 357 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:55

Can anyone tell me what kind of budget and personnel numbers the FE teams have?

Think I read in an article recently that the privateer teams were around €10 million and the the big factory teams around double that. As for personnel they are limited to 20 on site.

Advertisement

#420 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 2,860 posts

Posted Yesterday, 13:18

... around €10 million and the the big factory teams around double that. As for personnel they are limited to 20 on site.

This is accurate as far as I know too