310 replies to this topic

#1 A3

A3

• 32,104 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 09:34

https://www.gazzetta...153883448.shtml

Google translate:

Ferrari, what a revolution! Salta Arrivabene, Binotto in charge
The cohabitation between the two was now unsustainable, so the turning point: at the head of the Scuderia went up the head of the technical management, that Marchionne had wanted to revive the performance of the single-seater
By now it was understood that the cohabitation of Ferrari between Maurizio Arrivabene and Mattia Binotto could not continue. But it was much more difficult to predict the turnaround that has been consumed in the last hours in Maranello. Perhaps already today it could be officialized the change at the top of the Sports Management, with the current team principal replaced by what until last year was the technical director of the stable. Between the departments of the factory there was an atmosphere of tension and uncertainty already in the last weeks, before the Christmas holidays. Then the turning point, with the non-renewal of the contract of Arrivabene, which until September seemed firmly in the saddle.

Edited by A3, 07 January 2019 - 09:35.

Advertisement

#2 Unicast

Unicast

• 2,121 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 09:37

Yes it seems to be confirmed, but very fresh news.

Binotto will replace him from next year.

I guess he paid the price for a poor second half of the season.

#3 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,146 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 09:40

I've been hearing dribs and drabs about this all morning all over twitter. Will Buxton has just started to tweet about it. He's called it the Red Wedding. :lol:

I was expecting this.

#4 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,272 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 09:44

Doesn't need the question mark any more, it's now on Autosport.

So it seems to be a case of Arrive well, Depart badly ;)

#5 ernestomodena

ernestomodena

• 431 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 09:45

Well that's not really good news. Change of management just before the season starts it would again lead to tension insight atleast for the first half year. So shall we say Lewis 2019 WC.

#6 Slackbladder

Slackbladder

• 2,161 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 09:45

Failure is not tolerated by Ferrari.

Unfortunately neither is stable long-term management.

#7 TheGoldenStoffel

TheGoldenStoffel

• 684 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 09:48

Arrivederci

#8 A3

A3

• 32,104 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 09:51

Doesn't need the question mark any more, it's now on Autosport.

They still use the Gazetta article as a source, so... :)

#9 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,272 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 09:53

They still use the Gazetta article as a source, so... :)

No they say Gazetta said it could be announced as early as today, but the top line says that senior sources have confirmed it is happening!

#10 A3

A3

• 32,104 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 09:55

No they say Gazetta said it could be announced as early as today, but the top line says that senior sources have confirmed it is happening!

Which is journalist speak for "We made that part up". :lol:  ;)

#11 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,272 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 09:56

Which is journalist speak for "We made that part up". :lol:  ;)

It really isn't.

#12 A3

A3

• 32,104 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 09:58

It really isn't.

You noticed the smileys, right?

#13 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 09:58

I'm of two minds on this. It's clear that Ferrari hasn't performed well enough, but there are two sides to that coin. For operation issues he is definitely responsible, and there were some glaring issues in 2018 (such as the botched job managing the drivers in Germany and Italy, and the mind-boggling weekend tyre strategies taken later in the year). But when it comes to technical performance it's more of a mixed bag. There is no endless pool of high-level engineering talent from which he can draw. People being both interested in F1 and qualified to be at the top of their field is not a common combination.

He took Ferrari as far as he could with what he had, and two second places in the WCC is not bad. It's just... it's Ferrari, so it's not good enough.

It's probably good to get a fresh perspective on some things.

#14 DeKnyff

DeKnyff

• 5,380 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 10:00

The writing was in the wall. Arrivabene seemed completely out of his depth in the last months. He probably was OK under the Marchionne's dictatorship umbrella, but certainly he is not not the right guy for managing the Scuderia on his own.

#15 baddog

baddog

• 29,768 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 10:06

Yeah Im not sure he was really leading them right, so not surprising

#16 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 3,317 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 10:11

And who will be their technical director?

#17 Laster

Laster

• 3,924 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 10:17

Interesting to see how all this plays out and what affect it will have on Ferrari over the next season or two. I didn’t think Arrivabene did a bad job, mistakes were made this year, but at the same time while he has been at the head the team has come back to fight for titles after spending years in the wilderness.

#18 Ragnar668

Ragnar668

• 1,885 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 10:17

And who will be their technical director?

nobody

#19 F1 Mike

F1 Mike

• 2,267 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 10:22

They made a few mistakes this year which they would surely learn from. Any change like this isn't good for team stability. Seems a strange decision and an impatient one but at the same time you can't really blame them for doing it.

Advertisement

#20 Mosrite

Mosrite

• 1,099 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 10:35

Yes, it's confirmed and all over the racing media.

Only time will tell if this is the right move, Ferrari sure have struggled but I don't think placing all the blame on Arrivabene is a solution. I liked him but think Ferrari's success is more important. 
Someone mentioned that failure is not tolerated by Ferrari but I think Vettel failed more than Arrivabene, but it's more expensive to oust him. However, I think Ferrari's problems still remain in the driving mistakes. I never bought the media's (and Mercedes) claims that Ferrari was the best and fastest car overall so think there's is still more work to be done at Ferrari to get in front

#21 P123

P123

• 23,959 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 10:37

Removing the tech director and sticking him in a general management role..... his deptartment may have delivered, but perhaps removing him for a promotion up the ladder will weaken them overall.

#22 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,682 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 10:55

Mercedes champions before the season has begun :-)

#23 RPM40

RPM40

• 13,870 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:08

Hard to say externally if this will help or hinder short term. However it didn’t seem the TP was the main element of them losing the title last year

#24 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,554 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:09

Shame, I liked the guy.    tbh Vettel should be the one punished if anyone, it was his catalogue of mistakes and blunders that handed the title on a silver platter to Mercedes.

#25 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,900 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:15

And Vettel will be out after 2019 and they will start everything all over again but with a better base than they had pre-Alonso and pre-Vettel.

#26 JonnyJ

JonnyJ

• 1,319 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:18

Best thing they could've done. Was shambolic as leader last season, made some incredibly bizarre decisions such as sacking Raikkonen just when they needed him to play ball. That along with his media blackout idea that just meant rumours ran wild in the information vacuum it created increased pressure rather than reduced it.

The fact Marchionne wanted Binotto in before his death speaks volumes. He oversaw a resurgent Ferrari, it's probably a wise idea to follow through his plan. Ferrari will he stronger for this.

#27 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:18

Was it because of his English he rarely ever got interviewed the way Toto and Christian were?

#28 ernestomodena

ernestomodena

• 431 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:23

And Vettel will be out after 2019 and they will start everything all over again but with a better base than they had pre-Alonso and pre-Vettel.

So we put Ferrari in the freezer for the next 3 years to win a championship. We all want to see a fighting ferrari but there is no real stability in the team. Don't forget that it took 3 years with the Schumacher team to be championship winning team.

#29 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:24

Was it because of his English he rarely ever got interviewed the way Toto and Christian were?

His english was fine, his attitude towards the press wasn't.

#30 RPM40

RPM40

• 13,870 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:25

Shame, I liked the guy. tbh Vettel should be the one punished if anyone, it was his catalogue of mistakes and blunders that handed the title on a silver platter to Mercedes.

They fired Raikkonen and got him a proper driver to share the team with

#31 boillot

boillot

• 767 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:27

This may be a positive shock, let's see!

#32 ANF

ANF

• 29,530 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:37

Good!

#33 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:41

We all want to see a fighting ferrari but there is no real stability in the team.

You don't need stability, you need performance. Just prior to 2014, Mercedes was a right mess with multiple team directors, unclear responsibilities, infighting (if stories are to be believed) and all manner of other things that - had they happened at Ferrari - would have led to all the usual ethnic slurs being thrown around.

Ferrari needs a better car, one calmer and one better driver, and a more astute set of minds on the pitwall. No huge changes, just a slight improvement across the board.

Let's see how they do. :up:

#34 Unicast

Unicast

• 2,121 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:51

Well that's not really good news. Change of management just before the season starts it would again lead to tension insight atleast for the first half year. So shall we say Lewis 2019 WC.

There was already an internal crisis and in team tensions since there was a fight for position between Binnoto & Arivabene, both wanted the same position inside the team and the situation had to be settled in one way or another.

Now at least we have clarity regarding the team structure, it was also the wish of Marchione to promote Binnoto at the expense of Arivabene. 

#35 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,186 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:56

No Allison, no Marchionne, no Kimi and now no Arrivabene. Ugh times ten. The only thing I like about the Scuderia now is Leclerc and the color red.

I'm highly skeptical of this development. Real shame in my eyes.

Edited by OvDrone, 07 January 2019 - 11:57.

#36 guiporsche

guiporsche

• 344 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:58

This, thank you for pointing it :

Just prior to 2014, Mercedes was a right mess with multiple team directors, unclear responsibilities, infighting (if stories are to be believed) and all manner of other things that - had they happened at Ferrari - would have led to all the usual ethnic slurs being thrown around.

It's the best and only move Ferrari could have made and also proof that those in charge are not so clueless as they have been made by the press. Binotto and his engineers made Ferrari what it is and Marchionne understood that the 'Aldo Costa mistake' was not to be repeated. I would also say that those in charge must have an inkling of how motorsport works otherwise Arriva would have stayed thanks to his P.Morris' links. 

Also interesting is the reference by Gazzetta that Marchionne, unlike also what was written by the all the typical knowledgeable pundits (Italian & English), most probably intended to renew with Raikonnen, presumably for at least one season more. This was hinted at by Turrini a few months ago, to the guffawing of even Autosprint - not that I am against Leclerc's promotion, but I do find it funny how certain narratives are spun.

Alea jacta est.

#37 CSF

CSF

• 2,838 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 12:01

I'm not overly surprised, I don't think he deals with pressure well at all. From his weird media bans in 2017, to never once looking in control of his emotions on the pitwall, I can't say I am surprised.

Luciano Burti had an interesting take on him last week, but unfortunately I can't find the quotes anymore... 

#38 FLB

FLB

• 29,872 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 12:03

Leo Turrini is hinting this won't be the only change. Is Jock Clear next? Gino Rosato?

#39 FirstWatt

FirstWatt

• 1,073 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 12:03

Well let's see how this pans out. A good technician (with good leadership capabilities in that role, obviously) isn't automatically a good team manager, as Peters principle tells us.

There is always to be careful with premature praise, at least with Ferrari.

However, I have a rather positive feeling too. I was never fond of Arrivabene's behaviour.

Advertisement

#40 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 6,973 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 12:08

Leo Turrini is hinting this won't be the only change. Is Jock Clear next? Gino Rosato?

Wasn't Jock Clear announced a little while ago to be Leclercs engineer?

#41 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,272 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 12:10

Strikes me as odd that F1 observers seem to think this is a sensible move, but forumers are generally not so sure!

#42 ANF

ANF

• 29,530 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 12:17

I'm not overly surprised, I don't think he deals with pressure well at all. From his weird media bans in 2017, to never once looking in control of his emotions on the pitwall, I can't say I am surprised.

Luciano Burti had an interesting take on him last week, but unfortunately I can't find the quotes anymore...

https://www.yahoo.co...-120004996.html

#43 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 12:21

Hopefully the new guy is a bit less suspicious/paranoid about the media and open Ferrari up a little more.

#44 TheGoldenStoffel

TheGoldenStoffel

• 684 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 12:22

Leo Turrini is hinting this won't be the only change. Is Jock Clear next? Gino Rosato?

Vettel?

#45 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 3,317 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 12:22

Anyone else think Arrivabene looks a lot like the cali cartel character Chepe in Narcos?

Chepe, Narcos

Arrivabene

Arrivabene is scarier.

Edited by Alburaq, 07 January 2019 - 12:22.

#46 FirstWatt

FirstWatt

• 1,073 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 12:24

[...] F1 observers [...]

...don't have a much better hit rate than the average forumer, when guessing the future....

#47 FLB

FLB

• 29,872 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 12:44

Originally posted by PlayboyRacer:

Wasn't Jock Clear announced a little while ago to be Leclercs engineer?          

You're absolutely correct.

The other thing that I had not noticed before is that Massimo Rivola had already left for Aprilia. Is it possible that he chose to leave because he knew what was about to happen? And that whoever will be his successor was the tipping point in chosing not to renew Arrivabene's contract?

#48 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,900 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 12:52

Vettel?

He must be talking about other people (engineers, strategists...), there is no way they will get rid of Vettel before the 2019 season starts and it's probably too soon to know if they will continue with Vettel beyond 2019. Vettel has a contract until the end of 2020 though.

Edited by kosmos, 07 January 2019 - 12:55.

#49 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 12:56

Interesting from Mark Hughes on Arrivabene and the media : 

Mark Hughes Retweeted Motor Sport magazine

He tried zero relationship with media as a policy and intimidation of his staff (and some media). Not a very intelligent policy.

#50 Mosrite

Mosrite

• 1,099 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 13:27

Mercedes champions before the season has begun :-)

That has been the case for the last 5 years, and will be again this year. Hamilton will win again, the question is only by how many points and at what race in the calendar.