Top 10 Most Annoying Drivers of all Time

• Please log in to reply
285 replies to this topic

#51 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 1,611 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 08:21

Next up: Top 10 of the most annoying Autosport RC Threads :D

If off-track/post career counts JV wins by a landside, but beyond that? I can find tons of annoying things about every single driver. Hard to form a Top 5 or even a Top 10 for me.

Why JV by a landside? I get he grates alot of people... but then again he's very honest and filters nothing. That'll never win you friends no matter who you are.

Or perhaps its the blonde rinse? Lol

Advertisement

#52 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 1,611 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 08:22

OP has a nasty chip on his shoulder.
And dunny know schitt about racing drivers.
Jp

This. Sometimes this forum is worse than reading the 'expert comments' on facebook. Dire

#53 Victor

Victor

• 570 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 08:30

I do not see the point of just naming drivers. It would make more sense to explain the reason why the driver(s) are listed.

I vote for Piquet, for all the stupid pranks he constantly was pulling on Mansell.

#54 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 9,726 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 08:45

Verstappen - cos he's a whiny, arrogant, unrepentant b****

Magnussen - cos he's a whiny, arrogant, unrepentant b**** 

Grosjean - cos he's a whiny, arrogant, unrepentant b****

Maldonado - cos he's a whiny, arrogant, unrepentant b****

There's probably a trend here...

#55 messy

messy

• 2,967 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 08:54

1. Nigel Mansell. The drama queen stuff, acting like he'd broken his neck every time he hit a kerb, is enough for #1 on its own. 

2. Lewis Hamilton. Great, great driver but not my cup of tea. 

3. David Coulthard. "Next year will be my year". No, it won't. 

4. Nelson Piquet. Always seemed like a bit of an arse.

5. Nico Rosberg. Too prickly by half. 

6. Tonio Liuzzi. Spent more time looking in the mirror getting his hair right than trying to go faster

7. Lance Strill. Smug and entitled

8. Nelson Piquet Jr. Smug and entitled (has improved since)

9. Kevin Magnussen. Scrappy Doo.

10. Max Chilton, I guess. Rubbish but got on the grid (and then a plum Indycar seat) regardless of that little detail.

*disclaimer - this is all fun really, I'm not really being nasty!

Edited by messy, 09 January 2019 - 08:57.

#56 ernestomodena

ernestomodena

• 345 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 09:10

That Alonso is not on anybody's list. Always blaming the team and kicking someone in his comments. Really irritating guy to work with I think.

#57 Taxi

Taxi

• 3,699 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 09:31

Jacques Villeneuve- talks too much, spoiled brat

Nigel Mansell. Drama queen

Felipe Massa- always compaining

Fernando Alonso- always bragging about being the best driver and beating his team mates, and not having the best car bla bla. 

Lance Stroll- Can't like the guy

Montoya- Arrogant and overrated

Daniel Ricciardo- That smi... I'm joking, he's great  :lol:

#58 screamingV16

screamingV16

• 959 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 09:47

Massa - Whiner with overinflated sense of ability.
Grosjean - Whiner with overinflated sense of ability.
M Schumacher - Dodgy track antics mixed with 'hey, I'm just a reasonable guy' routine.
R Schumacher - Whiner with overinflated sense of ability.
Piquet jnr - Whiner cheat with overinflated sense of ability.
Mansell - Whiner/diva.
Magnussan - Arrogant arse with overinflated sense of ability
Webber - Fake hard man act, slapped down by a little German boy - but, but multi 21 seb, multi 21!
Coulthard - No, next year will not be your year, know your place!
Button - Smug, fake nice guy act.

#59 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 16,721 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:10

Alonso’s little in car victory celebrations after he won annoyed me. Similarly Vettel’s finger.

Advertisement

#60 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 446 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:21

In no particular order

Sebastian Vettel

Pascal Wehrlein

Michael Andretti

Jos Verstappen

Hector Rebaque

Phillippe Alliot

Rene Arnoux (latter years)

Nelson Piquet Jr

#61 Anderis

Anderis

• 3,772 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:25

Why JV by a landside? I get he grates alot of people... but then again he's very honest and filters nothing. That'll never win you friends no matter who you are.

Or perhaps its the blonde rinse? Lol

I find it amazing how rarely I agree with Villeneuve's opinions. To me, he really comes across as a person who likes to talk a lot to bump his ego but lacks analytical thinking skills to generate enough sense for all of his coments. I know some people in my environment who do this thing and whenever I read F1 news with his opinions (I have no clue why F1 media like to share his interviews so often) I have an impression of similar thinking process. That might be a bit harsh on Villeneuve as I don't really know him outside of what F1 media serve me but it's the impresssion I get.

#62 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 14,446 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:29

Why JV by a landside? I get he grates a lot of people... but then again he's very honest and filters nothing. That'll never win you friends no matter who you are.

A lot of people have bought into the narrative that F1 should be one big club of self-reinforcing positivity. Martin Brundle's complaints a few years ago about Jacques Villeneuve criticising F1 were quite revealing about that club they've built for themselves. We even get people saying the worst thing about F1 is that everyone is being so negative. Eh... right.

I suppose it's easy to go from disagreeing with Villeneuve to finding him annoying because, well, he's not going to stop talking. But that probably says more about the people listening than about Villeneuve. :p

Villeneuve is fine; I recommend people listen to his FOM interview from august 2018. It's not every day you get F1 Champions reflecting on the social commentary in science fiction literature, and how to lead groups in the Dark Age of Camelot MMORPG. :cool:

Edited by Nonesuch, 09 January 2019 - 10:32.

#63 DeKnyff

DeKnyff

• 1,307 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:43

Well I suggest that you don't listen to old Murray Walker / James Hunt race commentaries. James always blamed Patrese over Ronnie Peterson's death (unfairly IMO) and whenever a race was getting a bit dull and Murray had nothing to comment on he would say something like " Patrese's having a great race this afternoon" so that James would take over with a 15 minute Patrese diatribe  

But who was more annoying then, Patrese or Hunt?

#64 Cornholio

Cornholio

• 426 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:36

Thierry Boutsen, because, when I was a kid and obsessed with drawing drivers' helmet designs, his was far too fiddly and faffy.  Stefan Bellof had the concept better.

Ha, Wurz used to annoy me for the same reason when I was making GP2 (the game, not the F3000-replacement series) mods back in the late 90s. Although his (and Boutsen's) designs are beautifully simplistic compared to the mess of the current drivers' lids.

#65 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 446 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:39

When Patrese arrived in F1 during 1977 he was seen as something of an "enfent terrible" by many. Things were not helped by Hunt certainly laying blame at him over Peterson's death. It can be demonstrated that if anything, Hunt bore some responsiblity for the accident....definitely not Patrese in my book. Multiple angles are freely available...if you really want to watch it....

Hunt did mellow a bit towards the end of his (and Patrese's) career....showing genuine concern when Patrese had his near backflip crash at Estoril in 1992 and pointing out during 1991 that Patrese had a shot at the title. But yes, during the 80s Murray Walker knew he could liven up a boring race by praising Patrese, Arnoux or Alliot and that it would send James off on a bit of a diatribe. A few years later James had it in for Nannini too, over his apparent lack of commitment throughout a race. I remember him reading out a series of lap times from a race where Nannini certainly seemed inconsistent and James going on about not understanding why Sandro was popular and in demand. 

I miss James Hunt. Didn't always agree with him but there was never a dull moment.

#66 messy

messy

• 2,967 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:46

This whole Patrese debate has reminded me of another - Mario Andretti. I don't know if they were maybe taken out of context but I always found his reported comments about Peterson's death 'unfairly overshadowing his greatest moment' quite distasteful. He can replace Piquet Sr on my list. At least Piquet was quite funny. 

#67 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 11,276 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:07

Super-Gluing all of Senna's credit cards together was funny. As was the thing that he did to his passport. I can't remember what he replaced his picture with ? Was it a pic or an arse or something ? 

#68 ensign14

ensign14

• 47,621 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:25

That was Berger.  There was also a defenestration of a briefcase from a helicopter.  It's not exactly Wilde.

At Reims 1958 a bunch of F1 drivers carried Harry Schell's bubblecar up to his hotel room.  That was a bit more creative. 

Edited by ensign14, 09 January 2019 - 12:26.

#69 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 446 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:29

I've always thought that Mario Andretti takes upon a very sad look when talking about Ronnie Peterson. It is a sad fact that both Americans to win the WDC did so in a race where their team mate and title contender was killed. It does somewhat overshadow the achievement. A look at Mario's eyes whenever he talks about this shows how he's still saddened.....at least that's what I read into it....what would I know...I'm only an empath...

#70 aportinga

aportinga

• 8,316 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:32

I thought you were maybe just a harsh critic of his dance moves.

I feel like I am watching Stewart Copeland dancing in some old 80's Police video!

#71 messy

messy

• 2,967 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:33

I've always thought that Mario Andretti takes upon a very sad look when talking about Ronnie Peterson. It is a sad fact that both Americans to win the WDC did so in a race where their team mate and title contender was killed. It does somewhat overshadow the achievement. A look at Mario's eyes whenever he talks about this shows how he's still saddened.....at least that's what I read into it....what would I know...I'm only an empath...

Nope I think you're right. Since posting I've done some more reading on it. I think I got it wrong.  :up:

#72 aportinga

aportinga

• 8,316 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:35

In the spirit of the thread . . .

10. Daisy Buchanan

9.   Cole Trickle

8.   Rowdy Burns

7.   Buford T. Justice

6.   "Franco"

5.   Joe Tanto

4.   Jimmy Bly

3.   Messala

2.   Jean Girard

1.   Ricky Bobby

That sir is blasphemy!

#73 JRodrigues

JRodrigues

• 834 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:35

Alonso, Vettel, Grosjen, Ricciardo, Massa.

Edited by JRodrigues, 09 January 2019 - 12:35.

#74 aportinga

aportinga

• 8,316 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:36

Alternatively, our work is done . . .

https://bleacherrepo...s-in-f1-history

Worst - no.

Annoyinig is more subjective and personal - I guess with the exception of Roman Grosjean.

#75 aportinga

aportinga

• 8,316 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:38

This. Sometimes this forum is worse than reading the 'expert comments' on facebook. Dire

But yet you actively participated...

#76 aportinga

aportinga

• 8,316 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:41

That was Berger.  There was also a defenestration of a briefcase from a helicopter.  It's not exactly Wilde.

At Reims 1958 a bunch of F1 drivers carried Harry Schell's bubblecar up to his hotel room.  That was a bit more creative. 

I think if we tuned the question around Berger might just be at the top. Maybe that's just me - always loved that guy!

#77 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 7,152 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:43

Grosjean has been climbing up this ladder steadily since his first season in F1 and with the amount of progress he is making he has a fair chance of topping it soon.

#78 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 9,010 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:49

LeeRoy Yarbrough, because I'd typecopied out loads of Daytona 500 results before I sussed out his name wasn't Yarborough.

Thierry Boutsen, because, when I was a kid and obsessed with drawing drivers' helmet designs, his was far too fiddly and faffy.  Stefan Bellof had the concept better.

You have no hope with current designs. ;)

Alonso’s little in car victory celebrations after he won annoyed me. Similarly Vettel’s finger.

Damnit, I almost forgot about the finger. Bloody annoying.

#79 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 8,641 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 13:25

Early Red Bull era Vettel

Mid McLaren/Renault/2010 era Alonso

Early McLaren, Ron's pet Hamilton

90's era Schumacher

They all start as petulant young a**holes and become inspiring brilliant men later. Especially the best of 'em.

I guess I'm doing the same thing in my own way.

Advertisement

#80 potmotr

potmotr

• 10,647 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 13:26

Poor Heidfeld eh!..His missus even left him for that other fella whose name escapes me!

That was Frentzen whose girlfriend dumped him for Schumacher.

#81 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 13,913 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 13:35

Berne & Max, Horner & Marko all qualify and make the list...

#82 potmotr

potmotr

• 10,647 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 13:41

1. Nigel Mansell. The drama queen stuff, acting like he'd broken his neck every time he hit a kerb, is enough for #1 on its own. 

Sacrilege!!!

Your internet connection should be cut off, permanently! 

Our Nige is a genuine British hero.

Once we leave the European Union I'd imagine there'll be statues of Nige erected in every civic centre.

#83 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 11,276 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 13:55

Sacrilege!!!

Your internet connection should be cut off, permanently! 

Our Nige is a genuine British hero.

Once we leave the European Union I'd imagine there'll be statues of Nige erected in every civic centre.

That would be the Brummie who chose to live on the Isle of Man for tax purposes ? /ducks.

#84 AlexPrime

AlexPrime

• 1,531 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 14:22

That would be the Brummie who chose to live on the Isle of Man for tax purposes ? /ducks.

Maybe he likes the TT race  :drunk:

#85 chrisj

chrisj

• 800 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 14:36

Former drivers working as pundits are more annoying than current drivers ... team principals are way more annoying than any drivers ... but not as annoying as F1 journalists ... who are only equalled by F1 photographers.

#86 ensign14

ensign14

• 47,621 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 14:47

I note you miss out bulletin board posters.   ;)

#87 potmotr

potmotr

• 10,647 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 15:04

Nigel is the most likeable Formula 1 driver of his generation.

The fact he's also excellent a dodging tax merely adds to his legend.  

#88 garoidb

garoidb

• 6,064 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 16:07

Former drivers working as pundits are more annoying than current drivers ... team principals are way more annoying than any drivers ... but not as annoying as F1 journalists ... who are only equalled by F1 photographers.

As a category, driver stewards who are too indulgent of track limit violations (and who sometimes don't seem to have the right level of recent racing experience).

#89 eibyyz

eibyyz

• 160 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 17:12

Milka Duno.  Might be a nice person for all i know, and she certainly had an education, but an entitled mobile chicane.

Danica Patrick.  No matter what she felt about a subject, when she opened her mouth she couldn't help but to screw up the point she was trying to make.

Dale Sr.  Especially The Winston in 1987 when he managed to wreck G Bodine and almost wreck Bill.  I managed to respect him starting in the mid-90s and by 2000 I was a fan.

Edited by eibyyz, 09 January 2019 - 20:31.

#90 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 992 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 17:13

Yeah... I don't think that's what the thread is about. Look this is just fun, in a way poking a bit at all these other threads.

Obnoxious.

It's denigrating real-life people who don't take part to have their personalities insulted, but because they love motor racing. Which, supposedly, we do too.

#91 red stick

red stick

• 2,824 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 17:36

Which is why I stuck to fiction . . . but the train has already left the station.

#92 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 5,406 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 17:44

None stand out for me, they all have their moments. The cult-like fanboys are most annoying.

#93 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 7,784 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 17:46

I find it amazing how rarely I agree with Villeneuve's opinions. To me, he really comes across as a person who likes to talk a lot to bump his ego but lacks analytical thinking skills to generate enough sense for all of his coments. I know some people in my environment who do this thing and whenever I read F1 news with his opinions (I have no clue why F1 media like to share his interviews so often) I have an impression of similar thinking process. That might be a bit harsh on Villeneuve as I don't really know him outside of what F1 media serve me but it's the impresssion I get.

I know this is before he won his title, but Villeneuve doesn't exactly make a fool of himself here. Bonus points for Vincenzo Sospiri for not managing to keep his laughter contained when Fisichella talks about money vs luck to get in to F1. And a cookie for poor Larini who didn't get to say a single word.

On a sidenote, Clive James should've done way more F1 reviews. 

#94 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 14,732 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 17:46

Very annoying:

Jacques Villeneuve

Kevin Magnussen

Rather annoying:

Jos Verstappen

Annoying and/but pitiful:

Lance Stroll

Christijan Albers

Annoying at times:

Sebastian Vettel

Max Verstappen

Not really annoying because it's so funny:

Nigel Mansell

Romain Grosjean

#95 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 16,721 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 18:25

Obnoxious.

It's denigrating real-life people who don't take part to have their personalities insulted, but because they love motor racing. Which, supposedly, we do too.

That’s irrelevant to their annoying habits which are sometimes every bit as real as their great qualities. There’s nothing wrong with talking about those just as we talk about the rules or the circuits we don’t like. Drivers are fair game on this forum.

If a topic is not to your liking, you are not obliged to post.

#96 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 31,511 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 18:38

Grosjean is brutal. 

#97 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,389 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 18:49

That sir is blasphemy!

That's not germane to the situation.

The G-- D--- Germans got nutin to do with it!

:cool:

#98 RekF1

RekF1

• 494 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 18:57

Esteban "you're making me look ****" Gutierrez. He helped himself look just as **** as his team did,which in a round about way, makes him a good team player.

For some reason the Hulk rubs me the wrong way.(is it rubs me up, or just 'rubs me'?)

I used to have night terrors about Sebs finger, but that seems like ancient history. And his post race mantras. And his face. And his presence in general. But it's nothing personal....

I'll never forgive Hammy for wearing clothing which reveals his ankles.

That lawnmower ad with Button.

Rosberg,PDR,JYS,JPM and Grosjean for general annoyances.

#99 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 992 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 20:29

That’s irrelevant to their annoying habits which are sometimes every bit as real as their great qualities. There’s nothing wrong with talking about those just as we talk about the rules or the circuits we don’t like. Drivers are fair game on this forum.

If a topic is not to your liking, you are not obliged to post.

I'm posting an opinion on a forum; I thought that's what they were for. Some of the posts (e.g. about names difficult to spell) are harmless fun, but others are not.

There's a difference between discussing a driver's skills and making contemptuous remarks about his personality. One is what sport is all about; the other is a bit crass. Would the posters here say to a driver's face he's arrogant, whiny or a brat? If not, why post such comments for their friends and relations (including children) to read on a public forum? And in case no-one thinks anyone would be offended by such comments, I can think of three occasions (not necessarily from this thread) where people who know the individual have been upset.

Edited by Sterzo, 09 January 2019 - 20:29.

Advertisement

#100 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 16,721 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 20:41

We have no obligation to stop people taking offence at comments on public figures.