* * * * - 8 votes

Renault Technical Thread (R.S.19)

• Please log in to reply
3671 replies to this topic

#3651 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 5,164 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 13:57

That is problaby the biggest gain ever made in the winter by any manufacturer?

Imagine that RB was winning races on merit with an engine lacking 54hp at the end of last season. Their chassis really was amazingly good in 2018. 

Advertisement

#3652 eREr

eREr

• 1,433 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 19:25

We know they would like to be 4th and close to the top 3, and that may be the goal for the next 4 weeks. I can accept that this is what Cyril says in the article

However, I just don't want to confuse people into thinking there is an actual upgrade coming in the next 4 weeks with certainty that will put them in 4th and halve the deficit to the top 3 in France. When I initially read your post, I was thrilled if that were to be the case. But I don't think it is. The reason being the following: How could they do in 4 weeks, what they could not do in the last 6 months. And if it took them 5 weeks to sort out some Connecting Rods in the engine.

Unfortunately for Renault, I don't think Paul Ricard is the right kind of track to show there advantage. It's a bit like Baku with the long straights. They could still end up outside the Top 10 come the race end due to drafting and the DRS.

From pitpass.com:
"We are committed by Paul Ricard to have all the problems and all the delays that have been hurting us at the start of the season sorted out," he insisted. "Our collective response to the situation is to come up with sufficient lap time improvement to put us clear of the midfield, which was our target for the season."

This is their target by French GP regardless if it is feasible or not.

And the issues were not detected in Monaco FP2... Probably the first test revealed some basic issues, so this is not about 4 weeks for the chassis. Maybe 4 months to find a solution, design it, test it, produce it. Maybe it will be b spec car of RS19. Maybe it will look like the current one. Noone knows. But their target is crystal clear. How they will reach it, I don't know. But this is what Cyril said.

Edited by eREr, 24 May 2019 - 19:26.

#3653 Amz964

Amz964

• 231 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 23:19

Well looking at the articles everyone has posted and the video on autosport the French Grand Prix is crunch time for the team and the car, if the upgrades and procedures fail at that point looks like the season might be over for them. It's a balsy time to say all these improvements are coming at the French Grand Prix with all the Renault higher ups undoubtedly going to be attending and see what they are getting for thier money at the moment not a lot.

Edited by Amz964, Yesterday, 06:44.

#3654 Ragnar668

Ragnar668

• 1,788 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:55

Well looking at the articles everyone has posted and the video on autosport the French Grand Prix is crunch time for the team and the car, if the upgrades and procedures fail at that point looks like the season might be over for them.

same thing was said of the first 3 GP's this year, then it was Spain - no excuses, now it's the French GP

#3655 Amz964

Amz964

• 231 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:42

same thing was said of the first 3 GP's this year, then it was Spain - no excuses, now it's the French GP

Agreed but trying to look on the positive side hoping the step can be like when the new floor was intorduced on the RS17 in Silverstone and made the Car a lot more competitive. We can only hope.

#3656 Amz964

Amz964

• 231 posts

Posted Yesterday, 14:13

We haven't said this too often this season but fair play to the team it wasn't looking good especially in FP2 looked like a double Q1 elimination could have happened. They clearly studied the data and made the car a lot better today. Danny Ric did a stellar job and Hulk in 11th could be interesting with tyre strategy etc, however not sure how much scope you have with this.

Edited by Amz964, Yesterday, 14:13.

#3657 Booky36

Booky36

• 148 posts

Posted Yesterday, 14:27

That is problaby the biggest gain ever made in the winter by any manufacturer?

Imagine that RB was winning races on merit with an engine lacking 54hp at the end of last season. Their chassis really was amazingly good in 2018. 

Or thier Honda PU  sux  this year on power,  the only steady thing along the years about RB is the chassis quality, they never made year to year a chassis 1s slower , RB will regret at the end of the year if without wins thier terrible unpowered tag heuer engine. :rotfl:

Edited by Booky36, Yesterday, 14:27.

#3658 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 6,354 posts

Posted Yesterday, 14:36

Nice to see a positive result for Renault today in qualy - midfield was extremely tight though, tough for Hulk to miss out on Q3 by less than a tenth.

I imagine the warmer temps have helped with the tyres issues? Similar for Haas?

#3659 Neno

Neno

• 1,703 posts

Posted Yesterday, 14:46

Nice to see a positive result for Renault today in qualy - midfield was extremely tight though, tough for Hulk to miss out on Q3 by less than a tenth.

I imagine the warmer temps have helped with the tyres issues? Similar for Haas?

T fricking Rosso has 2 cars in Q3 and you call this a positive result hehehe.   

Edited by Neno, Yesterday, 14:49.

Advertisement

#3660 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

• 6,040 posts

Posted Yesterday, 14:48

I think Ricciardo is making the car look a bit better, they are ‘just’ a midfield car, at least in quali.

#3661 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 839 posts

Posted Yesterday, 14:54

:rotfl:  :rotfl:

#3662 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 6,354 posts

Posted Yesterday, 14:54

Yeah I would - we all know the Toro Rossos are basically Red Bulls, at a track that Red Bull always excels at. And a Renault finished ahead of them. And only a tenth off being 4th quickest team.

So yeah - it is a positive result. Hopefully we see more of it in future but I ain't about to hold my breath just yet.

#3663 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 839 posts

Posted Yesterday, 14:55

It's hard to believe Hulk and Ricciardo don't bring something extra to the car.

In that case, the car alone probably is not Q3 material.

#3664 Flasheart

Flasheart

• 78 posts

Posted Yesterday, 15:00

If the French GP updates fall dramatically short, it should (but probably won’t) sound the death knell for Cyril. I wouldn’t be overly disappointed with that. The latter, that is, I want the car as fast as possible.

#3665 Flasheart

Flasheart

• 78 posts

Posted Yesterday, 15:06

Yeah I would - we all know the Toro Rossos are basically Red Bulls,

Not really. They have a different aero concept to Red Bull.

#3666 aray

aray

• 4,023 posts

Posted Yesterday, 15:11

The chassis has lots of technical input from 2018 RB. One of the reasons James Key was frustrated in TR was because of limited scope of fundamental designing modifications.

Edited by aray, Yesterday, 15:12.

#3667 eREr

eREr

• 1,433 posts

Posted Yesterday, 21:23

And? Half of that TR is from RB14... Anyway this discussion is offtopic here.

So well done Dan, shame that KMag finally beat him. For Hulk, it could have been better a bit. Car was much better than expected after the FPs.

Don't know what Renault will do on drivers side. Hulk's contract runs out, Bottas performs superbly, so Ocon will be a free agent by 2020. He is French, young, talented, cheap, so the situation is getting harder for Hulk to get a new contract from Renault.

Edited by eREr, Yesterday, 21:23.

#3668 Stonk

Stonk

• 19 posts

Posted Yesterday, 22:06

Daniel being 5 tenths off Max and 2 tenths off Vettel is a huge performance here.

Well done Renault.

Edited by Stonk, Yesterday, 22:07.

#3669 Neno

Neno

• 1,703 posts

Posted Yesterday, 22:33

Daniel being 5 tenths off Max and 2 tenths off Vettel is a huge performance here.

Well done Renault.

No, it's well done Daniel. 

#3670 Stonk

Stonk

• 19 posts

Posted Today, 00:19

No, it's well done Daniel.

He was miles off the pace on Thursday. Are you saying he himself worked on the car over Friday?

#3671 RPM40

RPM40

• 10,677 posts

Posted Today, 00:35

I look forward to these big chassis updates they claim are coming. It genuinely feels like the engine is a bit more back on song. Magnussen's lap was definitely beatable if Daniel had two runs. 

#3672 Neno

Neno

• 1,703 posts

Posted Today, 01:02

He was miles off the pace on Thursday. Are you saying he himself worked on the car over Friday?

Yes. Because seems he is only one including Hulk who do their jobs properly in Renault.