The end result is the same

But the engeneering process is completely different

You should tell Mclaren this

https://www.mclaren....-playbook/rake/

#353 statman

statman

• 4,820 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 18:54

Renault up against it a bit with new car build - hoping to be ready for start of testing but Abiteboul admits shakedown during filming day on Saturday is at risk #F1

#354 BillyWhizz

BillyWhizz

• 775 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 19:00

Antirake is when the rear is higher than the front.

Negative rake is when the front is lower than rear

I tend not to post when drunk or stoned. I'd recommend that strategy to you.

#355 A3

A3

• 29,318 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 19:02

Mate, are you high?

I honestly think he's confused a bit. He mention the Skip Barber, one of my favourite cars when I was still doing iRacing.
Found this about it:

Spring perch offset is the basic chassis setting for the front end of the
Skippy. A spring perch is a collar on the shock/spring assembly which seats
the bottom of the spring. The spring perch offset is the distance from the
spring perch to a known reference point. On the Skippy, when the SPO is set
to zero, the ride heights at the front and rear are the same and the car has
no “rake”.
A negative SPO value means that the spring/shock assembly is extended and
this has the effect of raising the ride height at the front of the car. A positive
SPO value means that the spring/shock assembly is compressed and this
lowers the ride height at the front of the car.

So a positive spring perch offset (which is located at the front end) increases the rake with that particular car. I can see how that might sound a bit confusing.

#356 BiggestBuddyLazierFan

BiggestBuddyLazierFan

• 519 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 21:34

I honestly think he's confused a bit. He mention the Skip Barber, one of my favourite cars when I was still doing iRacing.
Found this about it:
So a positive spring perch offset (which is located at the front end) increases the rake with that particular car. I can see how that might sound a bit confusing.

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!

#357 eREr

eREr

• 1,666 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 22:46

The power unit has been renamed for this year: Renault E-Tech 19.

#358 eREr

eREr

• 1,666 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 22:52

"At Enstone, the team has significantly increased production capabilities, with upgraded machine tools, including two new Breton machines, wind tunnel, gearbox dyno, enlarged design office and state-of-the-art race operations room. Its workforce has also grown by around 50% since 2016. At Viry, a newly refurbished dyno has just been commissioned and will be used throughout the season to develop the power unit, while an ambitious building programme to house new engine assembly bays, reliability departments and an automated stores department has recently started, due for completion next year."

https://www.renaults...aign.html?r=331

#359 baddog

baddog

• 27,242 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 01:10

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!

He just pointed out why you are confused. You ARE confused, rake is raising the rear, negative rake is raising the front.

Advertisement

#360 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 4,459 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 01:16

Doesnt look fast :/ Another RS18 crap. Now we waiting for RS20. 

Probably doesn't look fast because it is basically the RS18 with the front and rear wings of the RS19.

"Renault had to use a 2018 chassis – fitted with 2019 front and rear wings – at its team launch at Enstone on Tuesday because the RS19 was not finished".

https://www.motorspo...esting/4336459/

#361 gowebber

gowebber

• 3,780 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 02:55

Ricciardo expects Red Bull to be in front of Renault: https://www.motorspo...d-bull/4336218/

Really? It's hard to expect Honda to deliver better engine than Renault....

Well better to downplay in case things don't go so well but on previous form one would expect Red Bull to start in front unless that Honda PU is a real dud. Having said that its not out of the realms of possibility I believe for Renault to do what Brawn did (to an extent) and have a cracker of a car considering how long its been in the pipe, resources brought in and heavily focused on.

Strange Dan said he never saw anything that he thought wow Renault need that unless it was already in the 2019 design after he got to Renault as that amount of rake for a start is classic Red Bull and not something Renault had previously.

If Renault have found the gains they are alluding to I think its a better than even bet they are ahead of Honda on the PU side. The Renault spec 3 was better than the Honda engine in race trim and only marginally behind in qualli. The  Renault engine for 2019 is completely new and another significant step up apparently.

As for people saying the 2018 and 2019 cars are the same virtually thats just taking the piss because if you actually have a proper look (not at that 2018 chassis with just new front wing and paintjob 2019 mockup they unveiled) those 2019 CGI models have quite a few differences in the front wing, rear wing, side pods and rake just for a start. You can bet the car in Melbourne will be even more different again. 

Really excited for this season for Dan and Renault as its not just Cyril this time crowing about biggest gains ever and about both the aero and PU sides too. Melbourne can't come soon enough. Already booked Friday and Monday (to recover) off work!  :D

Edited by gowebber, 13 February 2019 - 05:54.

#362 gowebber

gowebber

• 3,780 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 03:38

Just to add from that Andrew Benson article about Dan's change to Renault it seems as alot of us thought Dan was annoyed at how the Baku incident was treated but it wasn;t the main reason for leaving.

"As for the motivation for leaving Red Bull, many have presumed it was because team-mate Max Verstappen finally established clear superiority in their private battle last year.

Ricciardo says there were myriad reasons, and admits one was to do with Verstappen - if not necessarily what many might think.

He says he was not impressed with the way the team dealt with the crash at last year's Azerbaijan Grand Prix that took out both drivers after an intense and often wheel-banging battle for two-thirds of the race.

Ricciardo rammed Verstappen from behind - but only after the Dutchman had done a double defensive move that is strictly forbidden in the rules.

"I didn't want to hold a grudge on that," Ricciardo says. "I couldn't tell you how many pieces made up the kaleidoscope but I guess that was one of the little pieces.

"We both got a talking to, putting it politely. I felt like I was not really in the wrong, even if I'm the one that hit him. I think most people saw the double move.

"Before that there was a lot of contact, and a lot of people thought it went on too long. I guess the way it was handled at the time didn't sit too well with me.

"Handling the media, I get. It's a big brand to look after. I get it doesn't help if we both go off at each other. But I felt there was a bit of equal blame (from the team). And maybe it's just me being a stubborn race car driver but I didn't think it was an equal incident, is the easiest way to put it.

"So that was a little thing, I guess, which bothered me. But it wasn't the deal-breaker."

Edited by gowebber, 13 February 2019 - 03:41.

#363 mwf1

mwf1

• 881 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 03:45

i know Arbiteboul has a bit of a track record on claims preseason but it sounds like they have made a big jump with the engine.

"The furthest I will go is that it is the biggest we have ever done since the V6 introduction."

#364 lbennie

lbennie

• 5,200 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 03:59

Someone on F1 technical claims Renault have made a huge breakthrough with the PU. But there are posts like that popping up all the time. so eh

#365 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 2,206 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 04:15

Again, people from outside Renault and people with more objectivity than him also said that, and they said that before Abiteboul did. Why do you only focus on him (when you also know he's not a very reliable source of infos) ?  :drunk:

Someone on F1 technical claims Renault have made a huge breakthrough with the PU. But there are posts like that popping up all the time. so eh

Where exactly?

We are 720 people here, 30 contractors, 450 in [Viry-Châtillon].

“We are about at the budget cap limit that’s been proposed [by Liberty]. But where do I go next? I know that I’m 200 people down on Mercedes. What would you do? So we need clarity as quickly as possible.

https://www.motorspo...g-f1s-arms-race

Edited by Alburaq, 13 February 2019 - 04:27.

#366 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 2,736 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 04:20

It seriously wouldn't surprise me if Renault have finally really stepped their game up. They have a track record in F1, as an engine supplier or running their own team, which shows eventually they nail things and have significant success.

Compare that with Hondas track record as an engine supplier or running their own team...

I know who my money is on.

Edited by PlayboyRacer, 13 February 2019 - 04:20.

#367 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 2,206 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 05:33

“The rules for the engines are extremely complex, we know them and understand them, and we had time to set the right structure,” said Renault’s chief of F1 engine development Remi Taffin.

“We have a structure and we have people. Now we see the results of that.”

“We worked hard on the ERS as well as on the internal combustion engine.”

“Last year we introduced some new concepts that proved to be successful and this year we have further developed them.”

“The result is the best winter we’ve ever had.”

Edited by Alburaq, 13 February 2019 - 06:30.

#368 lbennie

lbennie

• 5,200 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 05:58

I could be wrong, but other than the front & rear wings & barge boards/sidepod inlet wings, the actual chassis & bodywork looks identical to last years.

I don't think this is the car.

#369 RPM40

RPM40

• 11,097 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:14

https://www.motorspo...g-f1s-arms-race

Good article on the factory efforts

#370 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 2,206 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:30

But I must admit I'm a bit underwhelmed by this car. Yes it's a bit more agressive than the RS18, it's more up-to-date thanks to the Ferrari-style sidepods, but it doesn't look like a car made with a very long lead time and increased ressources (knowing that Renault switched focus on it very early on and dint spend too much energy on its predecessor)... yes it's just a simplified and out of date render, but he real car won't be very different. Will it have completely new nose, barge-boards, sidepods etc? I dont think so; it will get more refined bargeboards, deflectors, floor and wings. Even the new sidepod design is not that agressive and the openings are not really smaller despite the center-line cooling system. And did they push the cooling philosophy forward and use new technologies? wait and see.

The diffuser is the only real change after the sidepods

Sauber took the same decisions as Renault before 2018, sacrifying the 2017 program, and had invested the gained time and ressources to design a very aggressive and bold car. But this car looks like an evolution of the very limited RS.18. 

In order to catch the top teams you must try to evolve faster than them, to take some shortcuts, some bold steps and to precede them. This car 3d rendered car is just running behind the fast moving train...

I hope the new PU will really close the gap and that the new rules will reduce some of the top teams advantage, that the Melbourne version will be very different and ultra effective and that the development program will be mega agressive. 
In addition to that, the team keep praising the engine work and downplaying the chassis side...

Unless the car is ultra lightweight, and the sidepods bring 150 points of DF, and the aero works perfectly and the engine is 1001hp...

san10.jpg

Edited by Alburaq, 13 February 2019 - 07:44.

#371 A3

A3

• 29,318 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 07:30

I could be wrong, but other than the front & rear wings & barge boards/sidepod inlet wings, the actual chassis & bodywork looks identical to last years.

Well, we'll have to wait and see, but I assume you're right.

The front suspension geometry is different, the air intake has changed as well. I agree the rest looks the same as last years car which contradicts the news that "everything is new except for the power steering".

I feel that Renault are playing mind games as I can't get my head around that ridiculous amount of rake. Also, the floor in those renders has no slots in it whatsoever.

#372 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 2,206 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 07:52

It's not the same monocoque, so it's not the same car. Just look at the line that passes between the I and the T of INFINITI (highlighted with purple on the RS.18); it marks out the rear edges of the monocoque. 

We hear that every year from every team; "the Melbourne spec will be a completely different car" but that's rarely true. 

20180213.jpg

Edited by Alburaq, 13 February 2019 - 07:59.

#373 Nicktendo86

Nicktendo86

• 2,125 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 08:17

Decision made, after the McLaren drivers I will be supporting Dan this season.

#374 FullOppositeLock

FullOppositeLock

• 5,188 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 08:21

I see you guys have thrown caution to the wind on the back of the car launch and accompanying press statements? I hope for the sake of Daniel and his fans that this new car and engine helps Renault close to vast gap to the top three teams and that Honda helps Red Bull reach the same level as Mercedes and Renault as let's be honest we all could do with a little bit more competition at the front of the grid. We've heard it all before though I'm afraid, same goes for what Red Bull and Honda will come out with later today which is no doubt self justifying wishful thinking of the same mould. The proof is in the pudding. Bring on pre-season testing already I say!

#375 w1Y

w1Y

• 4,511 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 08:26

Theres going to be so many front wing losses this year

#376 Widefoot2

Widefoot2

• 425 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 08:33

Theres going to be so many front wing losses this year

Per page 32 of the January '19 Racecar Engineering mag, the leading 50mm of the wings is supposed to be a tougher laminate to help mitigate damage from contact.  However, I expect this to mean more punctures to tires during the race, so we'll see if this is a case of inadvertent consequences due to a rules change.

#377 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 2,206 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 08:37

From F1i

f1-20111.jpg

#378 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 4,459 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:23

It's not the RS19. it's a RS18 chassis with RS19 front and rear wings.

"Renault had to use a 2018 chassis – fitted with 2019 front and rear wings – at its team launch at Enstone on Tuesday because the RS19 was not finished." 

Edited by DILLIGAF, 13 February 2019 - 09:27.

#379 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 13,604 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:37

It's not the RS19. it's a RS18 chassis with RS19 front and rear wings.

"Renault had to use a 2018 chassis – fitted with 2019 front and rear wings – at its team launch at Enstone on Tuesday because the RS19 was not finished." 

I understood it was the 2018 car at the physical launch but 2019 car in the rendered images?

Advertisement

#380 RPM40

RPM40

• 11,097 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:40

Well, we'll have to wait and see, but I assume you're right.

The front suspension geometry is different, the air intake has changed as well. I agree the rest looks the same as last years car which contradicts the news that "everything is new except for the power steering".

I feel that Renault are playing mind games as I can't get my head around that ridiculous amount of rake. Also, the floor in those renders has no slots in it whatsoever.

These are just livery launches, the cars never have any detail

#381 A3

A3

• 29,318 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:40

I understood it was the 2018 car at the physical launch but 2019 car in the rendered images?

Exactly this.

I don’t understand why people don’t seem to get this.

Edited by A3, 13 February 2019 - 09:40.

#382 Pumpkinz

Pumpkinz

• 340 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:42

That's what i gathered too.

#383 sgtkate

sgtkate

• 429 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:49

No

Rake rises the front

Antirake rises the rear.

The end result is the same

But the engeneering process is completely different

Do you speak German? A quick Google shows the only use of antirake to be in German and refering to the layout of a slope towards a stage...

#384 sgtkate

sgtkate

• 429 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:58

“The rules for the engines are extremely complex, we know them and understand them, and we had time to set the right structure,” said Renault’s chief of F1 engine development Remi Taffin.

“We have a structure and we have people. Now we see the results of that.”

“We worked hard on the ERS as well as on the internal combustion engine.”

“Last year we introduced some new concepts that proved to be successful and this year we have further developed them.”

“The result is the best winter we’ve ever had.”

The thing is that whilst having more people working in a team makes it more likely, it only takes one moment of creative magic to find that spark that gets you incredible gains. Ultimately probably ONE person thought of having a blown diffuser, ONE person thought about blown axles etc. The team then make it work, but an idea is often just one person having an epiphany and there is every chance Renault have had that with their engine, at least there is no reason yet to doubt it.

If they are much closer on power to Merc and Ferrari then it suggests a really great season for everyone as it'll likely squeeze both McLaren and Renault up towards the front end and if Honda haven't delivered as much then RB can easily slip down on some races. 

I am genuinely excited for this season more than I have been for quite a while, please don't let me down guys!

#385 rootten

rootten

• 982 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:03

It's not the same monocoque, so it's not the same car. Just look at the line that passes between the I and the T of INFINITI (highlighted with purple on the RS.18); it marks out the rear edges of the monocoque. 

We hear that every year from every team; "the Melbourne spec will be a completely different car" but that's rarely true. 

Exactly my thoughts

Many times before I was expecing renders from launch event not to be representative of the actual car, I was always wrong

Also you have to take into account that Cyril downplays the chassis himself:

"But I think it is important to have some glimpses or demonstrations that our ambitions are correct. I would like and I believe that in particular this can come from the engine side, where we have had in particular a very, very strong winter. So that will be typically a good season.

"On the chassis side, the Enstone side, we have the structure but it is going to take a bit of time before the structure can turn into a race winning car."

#386 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,624 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:07

dznhbo10.jpg

O dear, almost looks like 2009 again with high rear wings and overly wide front wings...

We've heard those for years. I hope for Renaults sake they also can get the power on the track. Power delivery and drivabiity was also lacking last year.

From F1i

f1-20111.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't there be vertical red LED's on both sides of the vertical rear wing flaps for improved visibility (when cars are parked in pit lane during a light drizzle...)? See: https://www.racefans...lights-in-2019/

#387 rootten

rootten

• 982 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:12

We've heard those for years. I hope for Renaults sake they also can get the power on the track. Power delivery and drivabiity was also lacking last year.

We heard such news but only in regards to Mercedes, and those turn out to be true.

I hope the news about Renault engine gains will aslo turn out that way.

And on a side note: there were reports this winter that Mercedes failed to make gains on engine side   ;)

Edited by rootten, 13 February 2019 - 10:12.

#388 baddog

baddog

• 27,242 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:12

Exactly this.

Shouldnt have taken much looking at the images to see it was a completely different shape eh?

#389 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 2,206 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:18

We've heard those for years.

Doesn't mean it is wrong... Viry have gained a lot of power every year (except 2015 perhaps) and the problem was that the others made similar gains. And this year, the rumors and statements seem to be more vocal and  more credible than before for various reasons. Wait and see.

I hope for Renaults sake they also can get the power on the track. Power delivery and drivabiity was also lacking last year.

It's only true for the C spec which also barely had the time to be fine tuned mapping-wise.

#390 Laster

Laster

• 1,989 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:27

And on a side note: there were reports this winter that Mercedes failed to make gains on engine side  ;)

Well actually it was they did not gain as much as they had anticipated - they still made gains.

#391 lbennie

lbennie

• 5,200 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:41

Exactly this.

Nope

https://motorsport.t...-shown?autoplay

#392 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,624 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:43

Doesn't mean it is wrong... Viry have gained a lot of power every year (except 2015 perhaps) and the problem was that the others made similar gains. And this year, the rumors and statements seem to be more vocal and  more credible than before for various reasons. Wait and see.

It's only true for the C spec which also barely had the time to be fine tuned mapping-wise.

Barely?! The engine was introduced around Monza, with 1/3rd of the season still to go.

#393 A3

A3

• 29,318 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 11:08

I am not sure what your point is. They are looking at renders in that video and what you see there is not the 2018 car.

#394 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 13,604 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 11:13

I am not sure what your point is. They are looking at renders in that video and what you see there is not the 2018 car.

Which is also what they say at the start of their desperately boring video! 

The point is that these 2019 renders do not feature all the details of the 2019 car that will hit the track in Barcelona, which won't reveal all that will hit the track in Melbourne. Anyone versed in F1 preseason poker will know this. 

#395 A3

A3

• 29,318 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 11:24

Which is also what they say at the start of their desperately boring video! 

The point is that these 2019 renders do not feature all the details of the 2019 car that will hit the track in Barcelona, which won't reveal all that will hit the track in Melbourne. Anyone versed in F1 preseason poker will know this. 

I never said the renders feature all the details of the 2019 car. The renders do show the 2019 car through, as Alburaq already pointed out. 

It's not the 2018 car with some 2019 bits on it. It's not that hard to understand really.

Edited by A3, 13 February 2019 - 11:25.

#396 Neno

Neno

• 1,775 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 12:40

Now that I saw our competition in RB and Mercedes. Pack it up boys, futile hope. 

#397 gowebber

gowebber

• 3,780 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 12:45

Interesting in depth analysis of some of the RS19 differences 

https://maxf1.net/en...renault-r-s-19/

F1 technical thread is worth a read too.

https://www.f1techni...hp?f=12&t=27913

Edited by gowebber, 13 February 2019 - 12:57.

#398 jannyg

jannyg

• 1,439 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 12:47

Now that I saw our competition in RB and Mercedes. Pack it up boys, futile hope. 

Lol! I was thinking the Renault now looks a bit basic, would hope that what has been shown is not the full car.

Merc and RB looking streamlined

#399 BCM

BCM

• 1,641 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 13:02

I don't understand how you can make any determination on the performance of any of the cars based on a set of images.

Advertisement

#400 BiggestBuddyLazierFan

BiggestBuddyLazierFan

• 519 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 13:08

Do you speak German? A quick Google shows the only use of antirake to be in German and refering to the layout of a slope towards a stage...

Finally someone that can comprehend that english language is not revolving point of the whole universe