Photo

Peter Giddings, R.I.P.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Cynic2

Cynic2

• 402 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 17:19

Peter Giddings, well-known vintage/historic racer, died last Sunday, January 6th, after a long illness.  He was in hospice care.

Peter was English but did much of his historic racing in the United States, almost all in pre-War cars.  He had owned a substantial number of Alfa Romeos, including a P3, a number of 8C/2300s and at least two 8C/35s.  He also owned Bugattis and the former Whitney Straight/Prince Bira Maserati 8CM (Chassis 3011),  He had also raced post-War cars on rare occasions, including a competition Ferrari 250 Lusso.

He was a frequent competitor.  In the 13 years of the Ferrari North America sponsored "Shell Ferrari Historic Challenge" officials recall him missing one or two races at most, and those due to injury.

Peter was responsible for introducing Alfa Romeo author and historian Simon Moore to Alfas.

He is survived by Judy, his wife.

David

Advertisement

#2 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 1,021 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 17:23

That's sad to hear. R.I.P.

#3 D28

D28

• 2,023 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 18:17

see Mentioned In Passing Jan 10 for 2 links to his career.

Edited by D28, 13 January 2019 - 18:18.

#4 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,453 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 19:34

Oh, what dreadful news!

We "camped" next to Peter and Judy, and their enormous dog, for three nights during a vintage race at Thunderhill on May 1, 2016 -- and spent a lot of time together. They had a wonderful old Alfa Grand Prix car and personified historic racing, and his website is remarkable. http://petergiddings.com

On Sunday night we were the only two to spend another night there, outside the gate, with permission, joking we were always the last to leave.

Very sorry to hear and feel awful for Judy. RIP, Racer. :-(

#5 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,180 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:57

More sad news!

R.I.P.

#6 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 19:03

I have a lot of good memories of Peter.  Racing against him in his Talbot Lago GP car in my Elva f/e Junior back in the seventies. Like E1pix camping next to him at various tracks, helping remove and refit the double driveshaft transmission on his GP Alfa at Monterey-as Peter sat back and just relaxed.  He always had a great sense of humour, a huge fund of stories and drove his extremely valuable cars with skill and daring.

One of the good guys.   My Condolences to Judy and his many friends.

#7 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,453 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 19:12

A life well-lived indeed.

I have a particular fondness for those who understand their good fortunes, instead of gloat about them, and Peter clearly felt blessed. He exuded a satisfied Life, and Man did he ever know how to live it.

He even had the class to rave about our Westfalia, but I sense that was just part of his good humo(u)r. :-)

#8 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,105 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 19:28

As well as Peter's marvellous 'track' cars, he also enjoyed his 8th series (1928) Lancia Lambda Mille Miglia replica. The car lived for quite some time here in Australia, and Peter would regularly drive it on Lancia club rallies.

I remember Peter's great stories, wonderful sense of humour, and also his generous nature. One time, when my Lambda suffered a broken crankshaft, Peter immediately offered me the use of his Lamda while Don Wright re-built my engine! RIP mate...

#9 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,666 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 10:02

Did he ever race at the Goodwood meetings or in the UK?

#10 Dutchy

Dutchy

• 706 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 13:37

Not in recent times though he raced regularly in the UK prior to his emigration to the USA

#11 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 16:42

Very sad to hear of his passing. Only saw him race once, at Laguna Seca in 1989, when he drove one of his beloved 250Fs.

As E1pix says, his website is remarkable, and is full of information about the cars he owned and drove - plus some that he didn't own, but was invited to drive such as the W125 and W154 Mercedes GP cars. How many amateur drivers have had such an opportunity? I think it tells something about the respect in which he was held by those in the know.

http://petergiddings...Cars/index.html

RIP Peter

#12 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,666 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 03:28

Not in recent times though he raced regularly in the UK prior to his emigration to the USA

Wonder why ,all  those wonderful events at Goodwood .

#13 RobMk2a

RobMk2a

• 262 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 21:38

https://www.veloceto...n-appreciation/

#14 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,466 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 22:35

I never met the man but I have been aware of his racing for years. A large void has been left by his passing.

What of his non-racing life? What were his profession, other interests, etc?

#15 D28

D28

• 2,023 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 01:26

Coming up, Judy is planning a celebration of Peter's life and a demonstration of some of his cars, at Sonoma Raceway Apr 11, part of  CSRG race weekend. For many of his friends and  competitors or anyone who met him and saw him race this would be a most desirable tribute.