The Unofficial 2019 Livery Competition

• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#1 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 10:38

The Unofficial 2019 Livery Competition

Liveries in F1 are the source of much nostalgia, discussion - and utter boredom. Many a wonderful racing machine is doomed to obscurity by a livery that seems designed to be forgetful.

Every year, the Autosport forum proves that this needn't be so. How? By participating in the Unofficial Autosport Livery Competition! You can, too!

Because last year's competition didn't see quite as many entries as hoped, we have sought to inspire returning artists and first-time participants alike by providing the keys to the official "Unofficial Livery Competition" virtual drawing garage; laptops, paper, pencils and F1 car included!
RSJ9DAm.jpg

If you're running short on ideas, or just need to be reminded to submit your entry, be sure to grab the 1920x1080 wallpaper version here (no text!) and use it on all your devices.

Will this year be the one in which Disgrace (two second places) or Anja (two third places) finally takes the gold? Who knows!

Grab those pencils or other drawing paraphernalia and see if you can join Jeeves, TrollHunter, Denaris, Nonesuch, and Owen as an Unofficial Autosport Livery Champion!

Before we get started on this year's instalment, let's take a look at some of the previous winners and runners-up.

The 2018 F1 season will go down in history as the first in which the Halo was used. It proved a source of hilarity, frustration and creativity in the competition as well. Defending champion Owen struck gold and emerged the winner after a controversial round of poll-based voting (also organised by Owen).

The winner of the competition was Owen, followed by Disgrace, and a shared third place for Nonesuch and Maustinsj.

8Bisa1W.jpg
4uOCUGI.jpg
xBaxZUQ.jpg
d2Udr6j.jpg

The competition thread can be found here and the voting thread here. There was even a special results thread, which can be found here.

The 2017 competition saw fierce fighting for the top spots, as a mere two points separated the winner from the runner-up. Anja proved to be the Hamilton to Jovanotti's Alonso, as she claimed the final podium spot on count-back!

The winner of the competition was Owen, followed by Frood, and Anja.

mJoBtkw.jpg
uhvp7Dv.jpg
rR3Y6fM.jpg

The competition thread can be found here and the voting thread here.

The 2016 competition proved to be one of the more exciting, not least thanks to the participation of a highly controversial design. There were also rumours of massive voter fraud that relegated said design to second place, in which it nevertheless edged out another design on account of getting more electoral first place votes.

The winner of the competition was Nonesuch, followed by Disgrace, and DaiMon.

3E2z77k.jpg
SVWEmF9.jpg
q4zyvpb.png

The competition started remarkably early this year, in fact it started in December 2014!

The winner of the competition was Denaris, followed by Sheepmachine and Anja.

ZlJor3Q.png
YZUm260.jpg
6hX0Zb9.png

This year saw some of the most creative designs to date!

The winner of the competition was TrollHunter, followed by rooksby and ReDeYe.

SUaLcsa.jpg
To5Xc2K.jpg

An image of the third placed design was unfortunately not available.

The competition was mired in controversy right up to the moment of voting! It is said by some that the results are still provisional, but until further notice the results stand.

The winner of the competition was Jeeves, followed by Risil (with two separate entries) in second and third.

SjqGnch.jpg
gdqKG7f.jpg

An image of the first placed design was unfortunately not available.

Unfortunately not many designs of this year's instalment have stuck around in this fast-changing online world.

The competition thread can be found here.

The Template

The template used will be an adapted version of the template created by BWT (Camille) many moons ago, and which has proven an excellent canvas on which to paint.

The adaptation to the 2019 regulations was made by TheGoldenStoffel and kindly provided for use in this year's competition.

amw7e1g.jpg
The template is available in two versions, all with the same bad tyres: JPG / PNG (very big!)

You can use at least one of these two versions in pretty much every graphics editor, from Paint to GIMP to Photoshop and anything in between.

Please consult your favourite search-engine of choice for help on how to use these programs.

The Rules

The rules for the competition are simple:

• The Autosport Forum moderators have final say over what is and is not allowed.
  • Use the provided template. Entries using a different template will not be able to participate in the voting round.
  • Do not change the template. An exception to this is the colour of the rims and the colour of the Pirelli markings.
  • Be creative! Do not copy existing designs - instead adapt them to a new concept.
  • Limit the use of elaborate lighting and shading effects. Let's keep the bar to entry low.

The winner of the competition gets a few congratulations, the honour of calling him- or herself the winner, and the job of hosting the 2020 competition!

The Schedule

The competition starts today, on 16 January 2019.
You can submit your entries until 3 March 2019. The deadline is 23:59 GMT on that day.
Voting will then commence and end on 15 March 2019.

The winner will be announced shortly thereafter, in the weekend of the 1000 miles (or 1609,34 kilometres) of Sebring!

Now then: let's see those designs! :up:

Edited by Nonesuch, 16 January 2019 - 22:07.

Advertisement

#2 Beri

Beri

• 11,641 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 11:08

Fantastic NS! I'll get to it. But let me be clear, pink is also a color!

#3 ANF

ANF

• 29,519 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 11:18

1.jpg

I love this 💪👏🔥

#4 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 13:33

I suppose it was only a matter of time before someone did something with the Rich Energy shenanigans.  :p 

:up:

#5 Jeeves

Jeeves

• 1,089 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 16:02

Just for the record, I had no part in this:

SjqGnch.jpg

EDIT: Not that it isn't.. striking. Just to remain factual.

Edited by Jeeves, 16 January 2019 - 16:04.

#6 PiperPa42

PiperPa42

• 6,041 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 17:38

:( I’m 22 months late for voting :/

Great OP and I’m looking forward to this years designs.

#7 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 18:50

The winner of the competition gets a few congratulations, the honour of calling him- or herself the winner, and the job of hosting the 2020 competition!

The Schedule

The competition starts today, on 16 January 2017.
You can submit your entries until 3 March 2019. The deadline is 23:59 GMT on that day.

Voting will then commence and end on 15 March 2017.

The winner will be announced shortly thereafter, in the weekend of the 1000 miles (or 1609,34 kilometres) of Sebring!

Now then: let's see those designs! :up:

My hear hurts, think I have walked into a door.   ;)

#8 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 22:02

That's what you get for copying and pasting.

The days are accurate, it was just the year that was off.

Was, because I've fixed it! Thanks!

This is true. I gathered the notes about each year at the end of their respective little sections, which is perhaps a bit counter-intuitive, but in any case, it does note that there is no picture of the first placed design!

If you still have it, I can add it to the post. Maybe you could post it as a plain link to avoid confusion, or via PM. :up:

On further inspection, that year didn't have the third places tied as I apparently thought back in 2017 - so I've scrapped danmills' fourth place car from the overview. This should hopefully avoid further confusion.

Either way - this just goes to show that the livery competition is always full of excitement and unexpected twists.  ;)

Edited by Nonesuch, 16 January 2019 - 22:08.

#9 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,243 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 22:36

Just like real racing should be. ...
Jp

#10 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 4,915 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 22:49

Ladies and Gents, I give you:

"Brexit F1" sponsored by Red Bull and powered by Ferrari.

The team has a promised budget of £350m per week from 29th March 2019.

Its main partners, Red Bull and Ferrari jumped at the chance to be associated, since they both have threatened to leave F1 on numerous occasions but somehow have not yet managed to do so. Also, the management structure at Ferrari seemed to fit very nicely with the team's ethos.

Other partners have expressed their confidence in Brexit itself and therefore have been bullish about the F1 team's chances. Dyson have denied that they were interested purely because their products are similarly famous for sucking bigtime. Honda were interested in investing but have settled on a 6 week delay to their decision whilst they watch the outcome of the first race in March.

Technical details:

- Brake balance is set at 52:48.

- The car has one extreme right wing.

- To prevent the car driving too far into the garage, a backstop has been fitted.

- A lot of hot air comes out of its rear end.

Finally, there is no truth to the rumours that the team's trucks may get stuck on the M20 for 6 weeks whilst making for the ferry in Dover...

BrexitF1_zpsekyot8uk.png

Please be gentle with me...it's not meant to be serious.  :p

Edited by Maustinsj, 16 January 2019 - 23:18.

#11 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 23:08

Its main partners, Red Bull and Ferrari jumped at the chance to be associated, since they both have threatened to leave F1 on numerous occasions but somehow have not yet managed to do so. Also, the management structure at Ferrari seemed to fit very nicely with the team's ethos.

Other partners have expressed their confidence in Brexit itself and therefore have been bullish about the F1 team's chances. Honda were interested but have settled on a 6 week delay to their decision whilst they watch the outcome of the first race in March.

Technical details:

Finally, there is no truth to the rumours that the team's trucks may get stuck on the M20 for 6 weeks whilst making for the ferry in Dover...

BrexitF1_zpsekyot8uk.png

Ha ha ha.

Not sure how your Italian engines and tyres will get to the UK in the post-Brexit utopia.

As for having shifty Austrians financing you... no way.

You need to rethink your power supply. Can't JCB give you the engine and tyres?

#12 NikL

NikL

• 221 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 23:16

Hahaha love it you have a winner with that one I'm sure.

#13 YoungGun

YoungGun

• 29,555 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 23:54

Other partners have expressed their confidence in Brexit itself and therefore have been bullish about the F1 team's chances. Dyson have denied that they were interested purely because their products are similarly famous for sucking bigtime. Honda were interested in investing but have settled on a 6 week delay to their decision whilst they watch the outcome of the first race in March.

Technical details:

- To prevent the car driving too far into the garage, a backstop has been fitted.

BrexitF1_zpsekyot8uk.png

So while Nonesuch was doing the heavy work ... you have the nerve to post the first livery? :p

#14 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 4,915 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 23:59

It motivated me  :p

#15 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

• 3,527 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 05:08

New livery for Sauber/Beta Romeo  - The official entrant of the Ferrari Driver Academy and Retirement Home in the FIA Formula 1B Championship

sauber-bteam.jpg

Edited by RacingGreen, 17 January 2019 - 05:13.

#16 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 09:41

Looks like the competition is off to a good start! :up:

#17 Beri

Beri

• 11,641 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 10:17

Good heavens, strong competition! And those "brexit rims" alone deserve an award xD

#18 Jeeves

Jeeves

• 1,089 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 16:34

If you still have it, I can add it to the post. Maybe you could post it as a plain link to avoid confusion, or via PM. :up:

Couldn't find a copy from anywhere on the hard drive unfortunately.

#19 KLF1F

KLF1F

• 217 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 17:06

F1 TV

f1tv10.png

Advertisement

#20 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,243 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 22:48

Love love love this entry.
Np

#21 TheGoldenStoffel

TheGoldenStoffel

• 684 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 13:41

POOR Energy F1 team

l8nybRV.jpg

#22 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 4,915 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 14:52

The can of worms idea is genius  :up:

#23 Frood

Frood

• 9,288 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 16:45

I'm protesting about having to do an F1 car again.

ZAU1pjc.png

#24 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 16:55

What can I say, I was overruled.

Keep them coming! :up:

#25 Mat13

Mat13

• 4,100 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 20:12

dgFK6sx.jpg

Militant Vegan Grand Prix

Team report:

Thanks to a substantial donation by the Tillington, Idsworth and Trent Saboteurs (TITS), we are excited to announce our next move in pushing our righteous vegan agenda- by informing the uninformed across the world as part of the F1 world championship! We’ll make sure all the planes and stuff are bird friendly, and our drivers won’t hit pigeons in Monaco or anything, so that’ll be alright. Chris Packham allowed us to use his picture on the engine cover- at least A Chris Packham did, and it turns out any idiot can spaff money out of Lush when you tell them it’s all vegan stuff you’re doing. Obviously in return for the loads of money that was originally left to him by his Nan and given to us, Keith from TITS wanted us to use his picture of him cuddling a lovely fox on the rear wing. Just goes to show how benevolent all animals naturally are, Keith only needed four stitches after that photo was taken. Here at Militant Vegan Grand Prix, we’re all really excited about the new F1 season and demanding chicken substitutes in the paddock cafe.

#26 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,243 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 23:56

That’s the wurst vegan green color I’ve ever seen.
Jp

#27 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

• 3,527 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 03:08

Following the outstanding success of the halo safety device the FIA have decided to upgrade the safety car this year to a full OH&S car to showcase their latest initiative the new even safer no roll tyre system:

OH-S-car.jpg

#28 Mat13

Mat13

• 4,100 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 13:06

WzaDPd9.jpg

Actually rather proud of this one. Retro Racing, inspired by my love of all things retro, automotively speaking.

#29 LucaP

LucaP

• 1,478 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 13:27

WzaDPd9.jpg

Actually rather proud of this one. Retro Racing, inspired by my love of all things retro, automotively speaking.

It would be cool if it was designed to run backwards

#30 Mat13

Mat13

• 4,100 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 13:42

It would be cool if it was designed to run backwards

On some of the engines I work on, that is actually possible.

#31 THEWALL

THEWALL

• 2,624 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 18:17

SjqGnch.jpg

EDIT: Not that it isn't.. striking. Just to remain factual.

Best all time together with the trout...

#32 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 3,317 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 18:36

F1 TV

f1tv10.png

:lol:
but why Nigeria?

#33 Mat13

Mat13

• 4,100 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 19:21

Nigerian streams!

#34 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 20:46

:lol:
but why Nigeria?

Advertising product and viable alternative simultaneously
Roll-Safe-Think-About-It.jpg

Edited by Jovanotti, 19 January 2019 - 20:46.

#35 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,439 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 22:28

I rediscovered my creativity. Which is to say I got caught a bad cold, so liveries were created. Thanks for putting up the thread Nonesuch.

PsZXoKZ.jpg

#36 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,439 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 22:30

sdd2lqJ.jpg

#37 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,243 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 22:36

Don’t come in here and start throwing livery’s around you dirty stop out. Work shy bastard.

Jp

#38 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 23:23

I'm impressed by the amount of liveries, the creativity, and the (not so) subtle frustrations about the state of F1 that somehow keep popping up in this thread and its predecessors.  :p

Keep it up! :up:

#39 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

• 3,527 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 02:46

I rediscovered my creativity. Which is to say I got caught a bad cold, so liveries were created. Thanks for putting up the thread Nonesuch.

PsZXoKZ.jpg

sdd2lqJ.jpg

They are both really cool liveries. I'm beginning to think I misunderstood the point of this thread! 

Advertisement

#40 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 07:54

sdd2lqJ.jpg

Digging that bargeboard big time! I've wanted to do a Bialetti inspired livery for years, maybe I'll finally make it...

Edited by Jovanotti, 20 January 2019 - 07:54.

#41 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 08:57

They are both really cool liveries. I'm beginning to think I misunderstood the point of this thread!

Everything goes, from humour, insanity to top notch liveries that could easily be used in the real world.

There's no telling what the voting public will go for this year!

#42 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 10:48

A little doodle to get into the mood.

The Dell-Størvik F1, powered by Renault (for all the good that'll do).

Bo3rt9n.jpg

Edited by Nonesuch, 20 January 2019 - 10:50.

#43 Beri

Beri

• 11,641 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 11:38

Very pretty liveries I've seen so far!

#44 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 21:13

Indeed, the competition is of to a good start. Let's see if we can keep this up in its first full week! :up:

#45 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 4,915 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 22:54

Why thank you 😊

#46 GhostR

GhostR

• 3,788 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 17:36

Ahhh ... good to see the competition for another year. Always know the season is closing in when this appears :). Some good designs so far!

#47 ThomasBB

ThomasBB

• 30 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 18:59

Here is my entry for this years competition:

a6t1gOh.png

#48 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 09:18

Very good. Looks like Yellow is in fashion this year! :cool:

#49 Beri

Beri

• 11,641 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 09:28

True. I think the Dell-Størvik entry of you, NoneSuch, is my favourite up to now.

I need to find some time to get paint started again to doodle my entry. ETA next week-ish.

#50 thegforcemaybewithyou

thegforcemaybewithyou

• 4,006 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 11:55

fCCVTC7.jpg

The Racing Paint GP Team is ready for the coming season.

At the long awaited presentation, a new unexpected livery has been revealed. A spokesman for the team explains: "We wanted something new and hired a new upcoming young talent for our design. Bob was given a totally free hand and I think you can see that in final result. He said, he was inspired by the famous Salisbury Mountains."

After suffering multiple technical DNFs last year, engineers analysed the car over the winter and found the cause leading to the break downs. "It looks like our problem could be traced back to the electric motors connected to the engine. A new, brushless version will be tested ahead of the season!", says Chief Engineer Bob the Builder.  :cool:

Edited by thegforcemaybewithyou, 23 January 2019 - 18:19.