- - - - -

Max Verstappen posts a world record laptime in iRacing [split]

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#1 prty

prty

• 8,435 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 13:29

No other fitting Red Bull / Verstappen topics open, so I'll just put it here, Verstappen got the world record of Charlotte in iRacing:

He's not the only F1 driving beating records in iRacing though:

Edited by prty, 20 January 2019 - 13:32.

Advertisement

#2 Pimpwerx

Pimpwerx

• 3,237 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 17:24

I wonder how long until we see gaming as a legit recruiting ground for real racing seats. I know there's already a pathway there, but I'm talking about a direct stepping stone. It will happen in my lifetime.

#3 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,205 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 17:33

He gets up to a lot on iRacing...

#4 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,971 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 17:36

No other fitting Red Bull / Verstappen topics open, so I'll just put it here, Verstappen got the world record of Charlotte in iRacing:

However, we've got an entire forum dedicated to games/racing simulators.

#5 FordFiesta

FordFiesta

• 224 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 18:04

Does that surprise us?

#6 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 4,062 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 18:22

And i found last week a relative topic in this forum section also. Exactly for this reason that i doubt it deserved a new thread.

https://forums.autos...al-life-racing/

#7 lio007

lio007

• 368 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 19:27

this:
https://www.motorspo...erview/4326497/

#8 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 19:48

Personally, I find the convergence of gaming news and proper F1 news really irritating, especially Autosport's coverage of the Verstappen "news" this morning.

Keep the F1 news pages focused on F1.

Have a separate site for the gaming, perhaps call it e-autosport! 

#9 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,679 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 20:02

You don’t have to read it.

#10 prty

prty

• 8,435 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 21:09

Well it appeared on the front page and thought it would be interesting in the race comments forum.
I didn't create this separate thread myself though, it was split out of a post by the mods, since it wasn't really fitting in the thread it was posted in.

#11 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,124 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 21:26

I wonder how long until we see gaming as a legit recruiting ground for real racing seats. I know there's already a pathway there, but I'm talking about a direct stepping stone. It will happen in my lifetime.

It already is. Where have you been the last 10 years? GT drivers academy has created Le Mans podium finishers:

https://www.gran-tur...02_0005816.html

F1 teams have been rating drivers based on simulator performance for well over a decade.

The next frontier is sim racing as an esport that gets huge viewership and the competitors contracts are highly lucrative. This isn't far away.

#12 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 21:27

You don’t have to read it.

I know, but there seems to be a real creep across all platforms and providers to mix gaming news with real news.

The two aren't the same thing and should have separate channels.

#13 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 21:32

It'd be a bigger surprise if Verstappen didn't. :p

I know, but there seems to be a real creep across all platforms and providers to mix gaming news with real news.

That's because FOM wants this. Their F1 viewing audience skews older, and their gaming content is the opposite. They're no doubt keen to bring the gaming folks over to real thing.

#14 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

• 3,527 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 04:05

I know there aren't any grid girls these days but I can't imagine James Hunt would have spent his time between races playing computer games. I guess that's just this younger generation for you. 

#15 Dratini

Dratini

• 2,536 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 04:20

Personally, I find the convergence of gaming news and proper F1 news really irritating, especially Autosport's coverage of the Verstappen "news" this morning.

Similarly I suppose we shouldn't expect to read stories talking about Schumacher's health updates, drivers getting married, or engaging in philanthropic activities. These examples, and this story about Max, all make reference to an F1 driver, past or present. News coverage needn't be exclusive to race weekend events. It makes sense for outlets such as Autosport to cover Max' record breaking lap because it was Max, an F1 driver. Equally I would expect Autosport to cover a story in which Max volunteered at a soup kitchen one evening, or got engaged in a row on social media. Perhaps you're just not the biggest fan of these video games etc and grow weary of seeing it? I personally have no care for the official F1 Facebook page constantly posting about the Esports stuff, but I can understand also why they would do it.

#16 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,294 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 06:54

I know there aren't any grid girls these days but I can't imagine James Hunt would have spent his time between races playing computer games. I guess that's just this younger generation for you.

Maybe not, but I bet Niki Lauda would have, searching for that last little advantage.

#17 Lennat

Lennat

• 2,058 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:57

I'm not really interested in "E-sports" (at least not beyond enjoying an hour or two of GT Sport on occassion), but an F1 star breaking iRacing records is kind of cool and interesting to me.

Anything below top level realistic sim racing is completely uninteresting to me. Forza and such games have NO place on a serious motorsport site.

#18 Beri

Beri

• 11,634 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 09:30

Maybe not, but I bet Niki Lauda would have, searching for that last little advantage.

And that is why those young guns like Verstappen, Gasly and Norris (who are all avid sim racers) will have an advantage due time over more oldschool racers, who do not see gaming as proper training, like Hamilton and Vettel. These days games are that realistic that you can simply try more and test more skills outside the box by playing these games. In the "company simulator" or during weekends, you can hardly try to cut corners or think outside the box because everything costs time, money and effort in a limited timeframe. Things you dont have to worry about when keeping your skills fresh by gaming.

#19 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 09:36

MotoGP drivers practice daily with low power off road bikes.

How do F1 drivers practice outside of race weekends? I think that the answer is that they hardly practice.

So simracing at least gives some practice..

Advertisement

#20 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 09:47

And that is why those young guns like Verstappen, Gasly and Norris (who are all avid sim racers) will have an advantage due time over more oldschool racers, who do not see gaming as proper training, like Hamilton and Vettel. These days games are that realistic that you can simply try more and test more skills outside the box by playing these games.

Different things work for different people. The simulators are very interesting for engineers because they can adjust all sorts of things on the fly that they have no control over in the real world, but as Hamilton (and others) have said repeatedly, driving games/simulators and driving cars are two different things. Skills do translate back and forth, but I'm pretty sure Hamilton and Vettel have this F1 driving thing figured out already.

Whether or not those three will eventually outperform Vettel and Hamilton remains to be seen, but if they do, it'll be hard to identify the influence of their gaming habits on that development. After all, it's quite normal for younger generations to surpass earlier ones. It's happened in racing for over a century.

#21 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 09:55

I personally have no care for the official F1 Facebook page constantly posting about the Esports stuff, but I can understand also why they would do it.

I understand why they do it, I just think it sucks!  

#22 MattK9

MattK9

• 817 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 13:57

It is the off-season. What one of F1 superstars gets up during the off-season is perfectly valid journalism, especially as it was linked to racing. Frankly it was a much more interesting read than other articles where you only really need to read the headline to get the gist of the article.

I can't imagine that James Hunt would even get a drive in modern F1. He embodies everything that has been stripped away from the sport by increasing professionalism, mass appeal and political correctness.

#23 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 14:31

It is the off-season. What one of F1 superstars gets up during the off-season is perfectly valid journalism, especially as it was linked to racing. Frankly it was a much more interesting read than other articles where you only really need to read the headline to get the gist of the article.

Yes, that's a fair point!

#24 ANF

ANF

• 29,365 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 15:58

World record!! Looks like the Charlotte Roval track was released only last month.

#25 statman

statman

• 7,312 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 17:00

I once had a really really fast Monaco lap in Grand Prix 2

#26 chrisj

chrisj

• 1,000 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 18:41

It would be way more interesting if Verstappen set some world record for dominoes, dungeons and dragons or some other game. I mean, shouldn't he be quite good at racing games? He's basically a kid, plus a Formula 1 driver, so if he wasn't capable of setting records I'd be more surprised.

#27 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,971 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 19:05

It would be way more interesting if Verstappen set some world record for dominoes, dungeons and dragons or some other game. I mean, shouldn't he be quite good at racing games? He's basically a kid, plus a Formula 1 driver, so if he wasn't capable of setting records I'd be more surprised.

You mean like Villeneuve playing MMORPG's at the tracks in the late 90's early 00's? 

#28 Showty

Showty

• 2,183 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 19:21

That already happened, not in Formula 1 though.

Lucas Ordoñez.

https://en.wikipedia...i/Lucas_Ordóñez

#29 dweller23

dweller23

• 1,568 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 19:32

It'd be a bigger surprise if Verstappen didn't. :p

That's because FOM wants this. Their F1 viewing audience skews older, and their gaming content is the opposite. They're no doubt keen to bring the gaming folks over to real thing.

And FOM does terrible job at it. Those eSports series were really hard to follow in 2018. Normally I'd expect to just go to Twitch and either watch live or just click on their profile to rewatch it in its entireity. But nope, all they served were short 1-2 min long highlights... Gaming will surpass normal sport at some point, some of the games have huge popularity right now and while some people with more conservative approach will be against it, it's something that cannot be stopped.

Speaking of Twitch, I wouldn't mind Twitch chat available during races when watching via stream. I know people do not like the spam there, but that spam, memes and pastas makes it a unique experience to watch.

#30 sgtkate

sgtkate

• 5,614 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 20:01

And FOM does terrible job at it. Those eSports series were really hard to follow in 2018. Normally I'd expect to just go to Twitch and either watch live or just click on their profile to rewatch it in its entireity. But nope, all they served were short 1-2 min long highlights... Gaming will surpass normal sport at some point, some of the games have huge popularity right now and while some people with more conservative approach will be against it, it's something that cannot be stopped.

Speaking of Twitch, I wouldn't mind Twitch chat available during races when watching via stream. I know people do not like the spam there, but that spam, memes and pastas makes it a unique experience to watch.

You know about 75% of this forum are going to have absolutely no idea what on earth that post says...why would you talk about spaghetti during racing?!?  :confused:

F1 needs to walk the line carefully between appealing to the younger audience who will dig eSports and will use Twitch and live chat etc, with alienating it's current audience who is predominantly over 40. (Unlike me :D )

#31 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 20:14

That already happened, not in Formula 1 though.

Lucas Ordoñez.

https://en.wikipedia...i/Lucas_Ordóñez

Don't forget Jann Mardenborough as well, raced in Super GT for the Calsonic IMPUL team last year in their iconic blue #12 Nissan... has also raced in GP3, GT3 all over the world, Super Formula, WEC/Le Mans, and is very well regarded, more so than Ordonez (no slight against Lucas of course)

#32 ANF

ANF

• 29,365 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 20:39

I once had a really really fast Monaco lap in Grand Prix 2

I would love to see Max Verstappen try to set the world record in Geoff Crammond's old F3 simulator Revs: http://www.bbcmicro....php?search=Revs ("Hold down T, S and Q simultaneously. These keys hold in the clutch...")

#33 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 20:44

Max will be Max I guess
Screenshot_20190121_213605_com.android.c
Screenshot_20190121_214055_com.android.c

#34 A3

A3

• 32,104 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 21:33

:lol: if there's any sim that's tough on track limits, it's iracing.

The line is allowed in real life too, so nothing weird about this. https://youtu.be/zWsfSj6aSN8?t=150

Edited by A3, 21 January 2019 - 21:43.

#35 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 21:39

I'd reckon the top 100 at the very least are doing the same thing, Max would still be at the top even if the track limits were more strict.

Edited by MikeV1987, 21 January 2019 - 21:40.

#36 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

• 3,527 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 01:48

I can't imagine that James Hunt would even get a drive in modern F1. He embodies everything that has been stripped away from the sport by increasing professionalism, mass appeal and political correctness.

That James probably wouldn't get a drive says everything wrong(*) with modern F1 however don't question his mass appeal - I was one of the tens of thousands who chanted "We want Hunt" at Brands Hatch in '76 and assure you he was very popular, well in the UK at least.  Hence his numerous TV appearances and advertising endorsements.

Of course in that era drivers were free to test extensively between races and during the off season so there was little need for computer simulators and gaming programs to stay sharp.

EDIT

(*) - Well not literally "everything" as I can think of plenty outside the scope of this thread also wrong with F1.

Edited by RacingGreen, 22 January 2019 - 03:40.

#37 EdgarMed

EdgarMed

• 64 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 04:00

Does that surprise us?

As a sim racer for the past 10 years, It does. Sim racing used to be so different from real life that thriving in sim racing used to be hard for many real-life racers.

#38 FordFiesta

FordFiesta

• 224 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 04:29

But isn't he a genius regarding monoposto racing, be it in reality or in virtuality?

#39 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 06:07

:lol: if there's any sim that's tough on track limits, it's iracing.

The line is allowed in real life too, so nothing weird about this. https://youtu.be/zWsfSj6aSN8?t=150

Was tongue in cheek, I checked the discussion in the youtube comments before posting ;)

Advertisement

#40 Peat

Peat

• 8,851 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 10:21

I was in a hosted Bathurst GT3 server last night with Max and Sergio Sette-Camara. Max is as quick as any 'alien'. 

#41 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 10:25

Interesting to see how Racing drivers become more accessible / approachable because nowadays you can simply join an online session and end up with them on the track.

When I played iRacing long long ago, the only real driver I ever got to race against was Shane van Gisbergen. Needless to say I couldn't keep up with him!

#42 MattK9

MattK9

• 817 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 10:27

That James probably wouldn't get a drive says everything wrong(*) with modern F1 however don't question his mass appeal - I was one of the tens of thousands who chanted "We want Hunt" at Brands Hatch in '76 and assure you he was very popular, well in the UK at least.  Hence his numerous TV appearances and advertising endorsements.

Of course in that era drivers were free to test extensively between races and during the off season so there was little need for computer simulators and gaming programs to stay sharp.

EDIT

(*) - Well not literally "everything" as I can think of plenty outside the scope of this thread also wrong with F1.

When i said mass appeal i meant that FIA and the various commercial rights holders have tried to increase the mass appeal of F1 and have actually alienated the elder generation. I dont think Hunt would be impressed with things like DRS, Hybrid engines, and car park size tarmac run-off areas. I didnt mean that James Hunt was not popular. Although i doubt he would have raised his work ethic to that which is now required of a modern F1 driver. That will include simulator training at the factory for both set up work and learning circuits. Not that max was in the factory simulator when he made these records, but i imagine his home simulator set up is pretty sweet.

Edited by MattK9, 22 January 2019 - 10:28.

#43 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 13:03

Mark Priestly has some interesting insights on this sort of thing, it has become a bit more than just gaming.

Edited by MikeV1987, 22 January 2019 - 13:04.

#44 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 13:09

So what if some kid beats the world record, but can't afford to go real racing? I assume the talent pool has got to be bigger on the Internet.  :p

#45 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,294 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 14:32

So what if some kid beats the world record, but can't afford to go real racing? I assume the talent pool has got to be bigger on the Internet. :p

If he’s beating world records he probably has a fairly expensive sim rig set up. He could sell that and buy a go-kart.

#46 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 14:36

If he’s beating world records he probably has a fairly expensive sim rig set up. He could sell that and buy a go-kart.

Not sure how it is nowadays, but a few years ago guys were setting WR's with Logitech G25's on their desk chair...

Afaik Greger Huttu for instance was driving for ages on a relatively simple set-up.

#47 JeePee

JeePee

• 5,909 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 14:40

For €2000,- you're good to go, with a good PC, a raceseat/frame and a wheel. That's about 100 times cheaper than a season of high level karting.

#48 A3

A3

• 32,104 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 14:40

So what if some kid beats the world record, but can't afford to go real racing? I assume the talent pool has got to be bigger on the Internet.  :p

You mean someone like Greger Huttu?
https://www.topgear....g/geek-rebooted

I've done some fanatic iRacing a couple of years back, but you need so much practice to keep up with the fast guys. I chose my marriage over simracing. :D

Edited by A3, 22 January 2019 - 14:44.

#49 A3

A3

• 32,104 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 14:41

I don't think that's even in the same ball park. A good sim rig won't need gas and new tyres.

#50 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 14:55

You mean someone like Greger Huttu?
https://www.topgear....g/geek-rebooted

I've done some fanatic iRacing a couple of years back, but you need so much practice to keep up with the fast guys. I chose my marriage over simracing. :D

Same for me ;).

First you check the fastest weektimes. Let's say 1.20. First few laps are around 1.30. Quickly getting down to 1.23 or so. Takes another day and some light set-up work to get down to 1.22. Then it's just a matter of hours of practice to get down to 1.21.5.

But to dip into that 1.20 or so... I found that I needed annoyingly long hours in the seat. Not to mention that set-up tinkering starts to play a bigger role.

I guess guys like Verstappen are on the pace within a few laps and are then able to find those last few tenths pretty quickly.