Photo
* * * * - 10 votes

Red Bull Racing Technical Thread (RB15)

• Please log in to reply
4860 replies to this topic

Poll: Will the VTEC kick in? (406 member(s) have cast votes)

Can they fight for the championship?

1. Yes (111 votes [27.34%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.34%

2. Voted No (222 votes [54.68%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 54.68%

3. Don’t Know (73 votes [17.98%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.98%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Danyy

Danyy

• 3,066 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 11:58

220px-Aston_Martin_Red_Bull_Racing_logo.0B1A700D-1059-49C4-937E-152998EAFFF2.gif
Team: Red Bull Racing - Honda
Base: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
Team principal: Christian Horner
Technical director(s): Pierre Waché, Adrian Newey (Chief Technical Officer)
89-E00143-2158-40-D6-A0-C0-8-F436-CEBEBA
Race drivers:
33 Max Verstappen
10 Pierre Gasly
07-A309-DE-E76-B-4-D86-8417-57-A2195102-8-F49-C704-74-BC-43-C4-80-FE-C226-C908-B
Test drivers: 24 Sébastien Buemi

Chassis: RB15
Engine: Honda V6 Turbo

4172-ap-1ye5zhb5h1w11mfjmu.jpg
4172-ap-1ye5zhfah1w112ckcc.jpg

Edited by Danyy, 14 February 2019 - 08:42.

Advertisement

#2 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 12:25

One hopes it will be a superb motor vehicle!  :clap:

Who is Pierre Waché, Technical Director?

“Adrian worked more on the aerodynamic side of things, and I’m more focused on putting the power down on the ground.” 

The Frenchman is expected to work on improving tyre and mechanical performance.

"Rob MarshallDan Fallows and Paul Monaghan retain their roles as chief engineering officer, head of aerodynamics and chief car engineer respectively."

https://www.thecheck...-director-role/

Very interesting!  It seems Wache is reponsible for the RBR's tenacious mechanical grip.  :eek: 

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 24 January 2019 - 12:33.

#3 Peat

Peat

• 8,837 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 13:17

I was thinking about TeamMK the other day. Do Aston get any value out of naming rights? 

#4 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,539 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 13:28

Times are always very tight, but we made Newey understand that the first day of the official tests is not a simple functional test"

I laughed at this one. It wouldn't be the first time a car is test-limited due to getting the last ounce of aerodynamical gains.

#5 Danyy

Danyy

• 3,066 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 15:03

One hopes it will be a superb motor vehicle!  :clap:

Who is Pierre Waché, Technical Director?

Very interesting!  It seems Wache is reponsible for the RBR's tenacious mechanical grip.  :eek: 

I was reading something about the car also being able to squat down the straights..

#6 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,659 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 15:17

I was reading something about the car also being able to squat down the straights..

I think that was the RB13 and that they had to change their rear suspension for the RB14 because it was deemed illegal by FIA.

4cjyx9pjsliy.jpg

Edited by Ivanhoe, 24 January 2019 - 15:26.

#7 StanBarrett2

StanBarrett2

• 1,021 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 15:20

I think that that was in the first 2018 tests, they could squat the rear to decrease the rake and the drag on the straights.

Those systems weren't allowed though.

+ I am not sure if I remember all of that correctly.

#8 Thatfastguy

Thatfastguy

• 1,066 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 15:29

Don't think they'll be fighting for championships.

At best, they'll be close to Ferrari (2016 scenario), in the mix for P2 and win a few more races than last 2 seasons.

At worst, Honda blows both power and reliability wise and they'll be looking backwards more often than they want. Even in the worst case scenario I think p3 is safe though.

#9 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,539 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 15:35

They looked better in more races last year than in 2017, especially in race trim. In Brazil 2017, they were nowhere, in 2018 they should have won it.

#10 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,659 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 15:43

In the Ziggo interview after Abu Dahbi Max said they had a dog of a car in 2017, both the chassis and the engine. He also said the RB14 chassis was really good.

Edited by Ivanhoe, 24 January 2019 - 15:45.

#11 A3

A3

• 32,100 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 16:19

Wonder if we'll see something like this:

zXJUAuI.jpg

Or will it be as it was:
GNNHZHP.jpg

Edited by A3, 24 January 2019 - 16:40.

#12 statman

statman

• 7,312 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 17:02

According to Marko in motorsport magazin, there will probably be no 'official RB launch'. A bit like last year, car will be released in camouflage paintjob and will do a day at silverstone before the Barcelona test.

#13 BRG

BRG

• 25,898 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 17:36

I was thinking about TeamMK the other day. Do Aston get any value out of naming rights? 

This, along with the on-going saga of who the hell is Rich Energy, remains a mystery. 

Will anyone buy a can of Red Bull because they like Aston Martins?  Will anyone buy an Aston Martin becasue they drink Red Bull?  Will any of Aston Martin's F1 knowledge help Red Bull?  Will any of Red Bull's road car knowledge help Aston Martin?  The answer to all these questions is 'Hell, no' so WTF is the point?

#14 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 4,062 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 17:51

This, along with the on-going saga of who the hell is Rich Energy, remains a mystery. 

Will anyone buy a can of Red Bull because they like Aston Martins?  Will anyone buy an Aston Martin becasue they drink Red Bull?  Will any of Aston Martin's F1 knowledge help Red Bull?  Will any of Red Bull's road car knowledge help Aston Martin?  The answer to all these questions is 'Hell, no' so WTF is the point?

Just finding a purpose for their promotion budget that also brings nice VIP trips for the CEO's and costumers.

For sure AM has benefit from this partnership. They will bring dealers/partners etc. to GP weekends as VIP for example. 

#15 BRG

BRG

• 25,898 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 18:01

Just finding a purpose for their promotion budget that also brings nice VIP trips for the CEO's and costumers.

For sure AM has benefit from this partnership. They will bring dealers/partners etc. to GP weekends as VIP for example. 

They could take those people to Le Mans where they would actually see real Aston Martin cars racing - and even winning.

#16 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 4,062 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 18:06

They could take those people to Le Mans where they would actually see real Aston Martin cars racing - and even winning.

I think and suspect, F1 is just that higher in ranking and has far more and better facilities for VIP clients. They will go to Le Mans also of course, but that doesn't mean that for instance this deal with Red Bull couldn't have helped with attracting dealers in abu dhabi, at least that's what i expect. 

#17 Ali623

Ali623

• 3,530 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 19:12

I mean on paper, they look weaker than before. Worse overall driver lineup and an engine that, up until now, has been less powerful and reliable than their previous one. The basis for them competing for the championship next season seems to come down to the vague hope that Honda will somehow make a big enough step next season to catch-up to Merc/Ferrari.

I'd say the best they should be expecting is a similar performance to 2018 (hopefully with a more consistent Verstappen)

#18 BJHF1

BJHF1

• 1,843 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 19:26

I mean on paper, they look weaker than before. Worse overall driver lineup and an engine that, up until now, has been less powerful and reliable than their previous one. The basis for them competing for the championship next season seems to come down to the vague hope that Honda will somehow make a big enough step next season to catch-up to Merc/Ferrari.

I'd say the best they should be expecting is a similar performance to 2018 (hopefully with a more consistent Verstappen)

I don’t think RBR are expecting Honda to match the benchmark PU’s at least early in the season. However, RBR can build a pretty killer chassis so they may be expecting to make up the difference on that end. But honestly with the aero reg changes for 2019, who knows what the others will be bringing to the table. Talking about contending for a champion at this point in time is simply hyperbole.

#19 lio007

lio007

• 367 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 20:30

Is there any information about todays crashtest results?

Advertisement

#20 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 20:40

What makes you think they are there to see the cars or the racing?

#21 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 4,062 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 21:05

I for one have high expectations for coming season.

This can change during tests and after first races, but for now, i expect them to be title candidate from race one onward.

They have shown they can build a car Max loves to drive and where he can fight with. As long he is able to qualify on the first 2 rows he will be every GP fighting for the podiums and wins. But, it's the same as last year, he must get the points from race one, 1e or 3rd isn't the issue, just 5 podiums in first 6 races places them in the fight. Points he gets, others have less.

No disrespect toward Gasly, but i don't expect him to be near Max. But, he could surprise me, and i think he could make a great year if he could be in a position fight with Bottas, LeClerc and finish higher than p6 in the WDC.

It does look to me that the combi Honda/RBR is a far better operating combi than when they where with McLaren. The amount of resources and effort RBR has put to realize their goal "youngest wdc winner" Is huge, I think their that professional, driven and ambitious that they will at least come very close in realizing that goal.

Now waiting and hoping i'm right and we are not on P8 in the WCC after 5 races.

#22 BRG

BRG

• 25,898 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 22:08

What makes you think they are there to see the cars or the racing?

All the evidence of VIPs at race meetings over the years supports that view!  However, to maintain the narrative that guests of team or manufacturer X ate there for the show, they do have to field some race cars for the guests to completely ignore.

#23 DrF

DrF

• 2,581 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 22:47

Let's hope Mr. Newey has learned to package a PU since his Mclaren days.

I really hope Honda finally get it right and we get a good hard fight between Mad Max and Lewis.

#24 FrontWing

FrontWing

• 6,864 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 23:23

Not a hope in hell.

#25 Nova

Nova

• 18,064 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 23:27

I would guess that Honda will lack (quite) a bit of power and drivability relative to Mercedes and Ferrari, and that Honda also will have more failures than Mercedes and Ferrari. Still hope they will get a couple of wins through the season and if things go well close in on the two in front through the season.

#26 cheekybru

cheekybru

• 2,047 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 23:43

First thing they need to sort out is reliability of they want to fight at the top

#27 Danyy

Danyy

• 3,066 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 00:18

Is there any information about todays crashtest results?

The Red Bull RB15 passes the crash test and will make a filming day at Silverstone

The Red Bull team and its RB15 have successfully passed the crash tests and will do a filming day at Silverstone, while the date of the presentation of the new car is expected soon.

Edited by Danyy, 25 January 2019 - 00:23.

#28 ixnay

ixnay

• 198 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 00:48

Any drone owners near Silverstone?

#29 lio007

lio007

• 367 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 05:10

The Red Bull RB15 passes the crash test and will make a filming day at Silverstone

OK, then this publication must have some Insider information. On the other hand i hope they didn't mistranlate the original german report from motorsport-magazin.com, because there was only mentioned that they will do the crash tests on thursday and that they are planning a filming day at silverstone.

But if the quoted information about the passed crashtests is true, then GOOD NEWS!

Maybe Sparky can confirm that...

Edited by lio007, 25 January 2019 - 05:15.

#30 Thatfastguy

Thatfastguy

• 1,066 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 07:48

Aren’t crashtests mostly a formality these days?

Anyway, though I’m all but sure RBR/Honda will come good this year, I’m much more exited then previous years.
RB is now finally Max’s team and I hope they build the car to his liking. It helps that he is so technically gifted and understand what he wants. If Honda deliver, he could be right in the mix. The new aero regs should also suit him as he stated he liked the 2016 cars much better than 2017 and 2018 ones. In 2016 you could follow cars much closer without performance dropping off so fast.

In general I’m hoping the four engines are a lot closer in terms of performance and reliability. Also hoping the gap between the 3 top teams and Renault or the other best of the rest team is smaller. Just more fighting excitement in general. But as usual its probably idle hope :p

#31 Reddington

Reddington

• 947 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 11:40

I’m hoping it will come good, but I am not so sure yet. I wish RBR followed Ferrari’s (and to a certain extent MB’s) example and just keep their mouths shut regarding 2019 expectations and such. “The Honda is great” or “We spend 15 million on the new regs, but we recovered the downforce and outwash already“. Do the talking on track guys!

Granted, Cyril is even worse in the press, (the ones who know me, know Cyril is at the top of my s..t list) but I really don’t get the high-horse-attitude. Better be silent and blow everyone away in Barcelona, than talking it up and be the fifth team during the first part of the season to be caught with your pants down.

All the talk makes me worry more than that it eases my mind.

#32 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 4,459 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 02:55

RBR won't be fighting for championships in 2019. Marko and Horner have already acknowledged that. Like last season, I think they'll be fighting for a few race wins and podiums in 2019 but also suffer a few mechanical DNF's and engine penalties.

It might be a different story in 2020 though if Honda keep improving. 

#33 Reddington

Reddington

• 947 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 03:08

RBR won't be fighting for championships in 2019. Marko and Horner have already acknowledged that. Like last season, I think they'll be fighting for a few race wins and podiums in 2019 but also suffer a few mechanical DNF's and engine penalties.

It might be a different story in 2020 though if Honda keep improving.

I agree, but Marko has been saying they will fight for the 2019 title for some time.

Marko: "We want to crown the youngest world champion in history. I have told the team that there are no excuses," he said, referring to Verstappen.

Marko said Red Bull's 2019 engine partner, Honda, is "already ahead of Renault".

"Toro Rosso are sacrificing their season for the big one in 2019. That is our tactic to get the most out of next year," Marko is quoted by RTL.

#34 Ragnar668

Ragnar668

• 1,885 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 07:50

Aren’t crashtests mostly a formality these days?

What was it, two years ago?
A car didn't pass because of the short nose, anyone?

#35 A3

A3

• 32,100 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 07:55

What was it, two years ago?
A car didn't pass because of the short nose, anyone?

Yup, that was a complete new design. Passing it now means they just use the same nose design I suspect.

#36 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 5,339 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 16:14

This year it will be between Mercedes and Ferrari again. They have such a big resources that they can afford building two separate cars for this year and the following year. Their power units and chassis are well integrated and efficient. Red bull will be the 3rd best team again, however, they won't be as competitive as they were in 2018 IMO. They are waiting for the rules changes in 2021 to be contender like McLaren and Renault.

Edited by Mc_Silver, 26 January 2019 - 16:16.

#37 Paco

Paco

• 7,251 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 17:13

No one I think expects RB to finish 3rd... sorry, the Honda pu will not be able to compete with Renault for most of the year if not the entire year.. plus, it will take time to integrate it into the chassis effectively. I can hear it already, due to the late decision we had to compromise in certain areas so we cant see the full potential until after summer break... then it will we won’t see a full Honda Redbull car until 2020

Edited by Paco, 26 January 2019 - 17:14.

#38 metoo

metoo

• 104 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 17:31

you didnt see the poll? Can they fight for the championship?
  1. Yes (22 votes [31.43%] - View)

2. No (29 votes [41.43%] - View)

3. Don’t know (19 votes [27.14%] - View)

#39 A3

A3

• 32,100 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 17:44

I can hear it already, due to the late decision

Late decision? :confused:

Advertisement

#40 BJHF1

BJHF1

• 1,843 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 18:51

Lots of crystal balls in here lol

#41 BJHF1

BJHF1

• 1,843 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 20:36

It would be an interesting scenario if Red Bull produces a real monster of chassis...let’s say a .5 advantage with a great tire wear to boot. With that said, I wouldn’t put it past Red Bull to do so. If Honda could cut the gap in half and give Red Bull a party mode for qualy, things could be quite interesting despite the power deficit. I do expect Honda to have some reliability issues, so that will be equally important to manage if they plan on being a legit championship contender though. Hopefully the reliability won’t be too bad, and Red Bull can minimize the damage (they’ve had some great races starting from the back of the field, so I’m not too worried about that).

Time will tell, but I hope Red Bull can at least be in the ballpark so we can possibly see a 3 way battle at the front for a change.

#42 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 6,973 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 03:42

The harder Honda push to close that considerable gap to Mercedes/Ferrari, the more likely they are to have a spate of failures. Plus Honda haven't had sustained success in F1 for a long time, do we trust them? I don't.

Red Bull are rolling the dice big time. Make no mistake about that, Merc and Ferrari aren't sitting on their hands either.

#43 BJHF1

BJHF1

• 1,843 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 03:56

The harder Honda push to close that considerable gap to Mercedes/Ferrari, the more likely they are to have a spate of failures. Plus Honda haven't had sustained success in F1 for a long time, do we trust them? I don't.
Red Bull are rolling the dice big time. Make no mistake about that, Merc and Ferrari aren't sitting on their hands either.

Rolling the dice big time? They’ve been rolling the dice for half a decade now hoping Renault would come good (wasting billions in the process)....obviously that never happened. Honda’s PU was in the ballpark of the Renault last year and has shown a greater rate of improvement. I don’t see how they are rolling the dice big time, especially when they’ve now got works status with their engine manufacturer and are saving a lot of money in the process.

#44 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 6,973 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 05:07

Ok lets wait and see.

Edited by PlayboyRacer, 27 January 2019 - 05:08.

#45 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 07:59

No, they made a rational decision because they could compare 2 engines.

They choose the best option, in their view.

Mclaren rolled the dice when they choose an engine that did not even exist.

RB compared raw factual data:
- Honda was on par/stronger than Renault
- honda engine is ‘free’, compared to 30 or so million for Renault
- Honda could give full attention and a works deal. More chassis integration collaboration
- Renault did not deliver from 2014-2018 (5 years!)

Why is the above rolling the dice? It is simple logic.

#46 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 6,973 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 09:10

Why is it rolling the dice?

Ha... because its Honda. Of course its rolling the dice, they've made this move to end up challenging for World Championships. A distant 3rd or, heaven forbid, lose ground from the Renault days, isn't part of the plan.

You lot are talking like its a foregone conclusion they will be better than 2018. This season can't come quick enough.

Keep this in mind too - Honda, apart from the odd season here and there, have generally been garbage since the first McLaren Honda era. You count the years.

Red Bull have very high expectations. Sink or swim.

Edited by PlayboyRacer, 27 January 2019 - 09:13.

#47 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 09:35

Ha... because its Honda. Of course its rolling the dice, they've made this move to end up challenging for World Championships. A distant 3rd or, heaven forbid, lose ground from the Renault days, isn't part of the plan.

You lot are talking like its a foregone conclusion they will be better than 2018. This season can't come quick enough.

Keep this in mind too - Honda, apart from the odd season here and there, have generally been garbage since the first McLaren Honda era. You count the years.

I dont think it’s a given that they will be better than in ‘18.

I do think they made a rational (long term) choice.

‘Rolling the dice’ implies they are just taking a big risk / making a guess and hoping for the best. Given the options they had, they made a well thought through decision imo.

#48 A3

A3

• 32,100 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 09:49

This season can't come quick enough.

I agree. No one knows how they'll do. There were some positive sounds though last year, even from some Merc drivers at Spa who had a hard time keeping up with the STRs at Spa.

In the end Red Bull are the only ones who have the data, I'm sure you can agree with that. It was not a roll of the dice either, the Renault "relationship" had run it's course. Honda was the only way to move forward.

So either Red Bull are full of it and they'll make a fool of themselves or they can finally mix it up wit Ferrari and Merc. We'll have to wait and see.

If they fail I wonder how that will affect Gasly and Verstappen's careers.

#49 RobG

RobG

• 964 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 09:56

You may call it rolling the dice, butthe chances of being on par or above Renault's performance seems much bigger than the other way around.
I'd call it a calculated risk, and I'm convinced RBR is pretty decent in mathematics.

#50 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 4,062 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 13:53

I think i understand what you mean, but think "rolling the dice big time" isn't the right description. 

You are correct that those 2 will keep developing. And, there are no guarantees what so ever Honda will catch them.

But the choice RBR had was Renault or Honda, the one is not more rolling a dice than the other (imo, and think general opinion). It's a forced decision they had to make between (on the eye) 2 bad engines. If they would lose one of the 2 top engines for a Honda factory team/engine, than i think "rolling the dice big time" would be justified. Now it's just a last chance to make something out of this adventure which by not succeeding could easy lead to exit the sport from the parent company Red Bull (i don't expect these big teams on itself wouldn't survive, just sell far below market price i expect), but that exit possibility was there with Renault engine also.