Photo
* * * * - 10 votes

Red Bull Racing Technical Thread (RB15)

• Please log in to reply
4681 replies to this topic

Poll: Will the VTEC kick in? (400 member(s) have cast votes)

Can they fight for the championship?

1. Yes (108 votes [27.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.00%

2. No (220 votes [55.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 55.00%

3. Don’t Know (72 votes [18.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#2951 Thatfastguy

Thatfastguy

• 1,061 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 09:48

Think the real performance gap to Mercedes this race was around 0.8s per lap, just look at the laps until Max pitted. Highly unlikely they will close that anytime soon, Perhaps the colder conditions hampered Red Bull, they tend to perform better comparatively in warmer conditions.

The scary thing is Merc might have had pace in hand. 

Advertisement

#2952 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 3,974 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 10:03

They won China because the car had a tyre advantage.

You mean, VSC luck edit: saw your correction

Edited by Maxioos, 14 April 2019 - 10:04.

#2953 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 3,974 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 10:06

The scary thing is Merc might have had pace in hand.

Every Friday/Saturday Mercedes is taken to light. Max also thought Ferrari would be strongest in the race and they could fight with the Mercedes cars.

#2954 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

• 6,860 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 10:09

Every Friday/Saturday Mercedes is taken to light. Max also thought Ferrari would be strongest in the race and they could fight with the Mercedes cars.

Max said pre race Mercedes were probably too fast and was hoping to be fighting with Ferrari.

Edited by Ivanhoe, 14 April 2019 - 10:09.

#2955 AlexPrime

AlexPrime

• 1,878 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 10:24

Max said pre race Mercedes were probably too fast and was hoping to be fighting with Ferrari.

And he did. Good race :up:

#2956 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 5,844 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 10:42

It's a little disappointing that Red Bull don't seem to have the relatively strong racepace anymore compared to Mercedes and Ferrari that they enjoyed last year. Last year when Red Bull would be close in qualifying you could bet on them being a serious threat in the race, but this year it seems like this little advantage has fallen away. This weekend they were missing around 5 tenths a lap to Mercedes in qualifying as well as the race, and 2/3 tenths to Ferrari. We've seen Red Bull get back from this kind of gap before, but it can't take too long if they still want to challenge for the championship.

Last year they had the racepace advantage because Renault didn’t really have a Q mode in the power unit. So if they qualified 0,5 behind, it mainly was due to the Q modes of Merc / Ferrari.

The Honda has a decent Q mode. So they look a bit better in qualifying this year and more similar to Merc / Ferrari in the race.

The BIG upside is that once the chassis starts to improve they might have more pole opportunities than last year.

#2957 renzmann

renzmann

• 245 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 10:51

Yep, Max was lucky Ferrari messed up Leclerc’s strategy today.

pretty sure max would have been 4th anyway. the trump card was red bull's strategy to pit him early. ferrari's team orders weren't smooth and may have costed both cars up to 2 seconds, but without them leclerc would have made the podium and vettel would have been 5th. i may be wrong on this one though.

also, i wouldn't be so sure vettel would have regained his position had verstappen successfully attacked him. ferrari had more pace today, but not by a huge margin. my guess is that rbr's advantage in the corners and dirty air would have been enough to defend vettel on the straights.

another positive thing we witnessed today was pierre's gap to the midfield teams. except for the tricky first lap, he was miles away.

#2958 ExEd

ExEd

• 847 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 11:08

Great race from Max, disappointed with RB pace a little bit ,was hoping for something more.

Its clear that the gap to the top is too big to be able to win on merit,at least for now .The package update cant come soon enough.

PS: Superb job by Gasly for taking that extra point off of Seb , worked as a charm for Lewis  :clap:

#2959 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 3,974 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 11:22

He said yesterday (before Q after FP 2) other way around at Ziggo interview. https://youtu.be/DEgpbNozaug

Advertisement

#2960 Lights

Lights

• 16,670 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 11:28

Last year they had the racepace advantage because Renault didn’t really have a Q mode in the power unit. So if they qualified 0,5 behind, it mainly was due to the Q modes of Merc / Ferrari.

The Honda has a decent Q mode. So they look a bit better in qualifying this year and more similar to Merc / Ferrari in the race.

The BIG upside is that once the chassis starts to improve they might have more pole opportunities than last year.

Good point.

And yes I shouldn't have called it a race advantage regarding last year, it's probably more correct to call it a qualifying disadvantage as it didn't really show where they stood last year.

#2961 Prelude

Prelude

• 298 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 11:56

2020 was always the target. They have only just had a reg change and new PU. Honda must be working flat out to close the gap and I have absolute confidence in the team making up the ground by the end of the year and unleashing the total package come 2020. That said teams like Merc, Ferrari are not going to be standing still 

Openly they said 2020 was the target, but seems they were secretly hoping to push Merc/Ferr hard already this season, expecting a superior chassis like they had last year (to compensate for the power deficit). But so far it's the Merc and maybe Ferrari who have the better chassis. Although they also said it would probably take some races into the season before they start applying some pressure.

The WCC is obviously lost for this year (mainly because of Gasly) but I think Max still has an outside chance of the WDC if RBR and Honda deliver some effective upgrades before the second half and catch the leading teams. It won't be easy because the others will bring upgrades too but I believe both RBR and Honda can out-develop anyone.

Edited by Prelude, 14 April 2019 - 12:04.

#2962 ExEd

ExEd

• 847 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 12:18

Openly they said 2020 was the target, but seems they were secretly hoping to push Merc/Ferr hard already this season, expecting a superior chassis like they had last year (to compensate for the power deficit). But so far it's the Merc and maybe Ferrari who have the better chassis. Although they also said it would probably take some races into the season before they start applying some pressure.

The WCC is obviously lost for this year (mainly because of Gasly) but I think Max still has an outside chance of the WDC if RBR and Honda deliver some effective upgrades before the second half and catch the leading teams. It won't be easy because the others will bring upgrades too but I believe both RBR and Honda can out-develop anyone.

While they didn't openly say anything for this year , they left the impression that they are close to top and there could be possible wins on merit,so fans got excited.

And honesty i don't blame Max fans for been impatient. We all want to see him fighting for a title instead of podiums and personally id like to see him vs Lewis on its prime. I rate him really high when it comes to raw speed ,guy is fun to watch  :up:

There is a lot catching up to do both chassis and engine to match Mercs (Ferrari still a mystery to me)  and like you said they won't stand still. Both Honda and RB need to up the game now that is early. If there is a change for 2019 that is.

#2963 BCM

BCM

• 1,641 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 12:22

I think any rational observer would say that RB are were they were expected to be - comfortably 3rd but still a way off the front.

I can't see them making up the deficit this year - perhaps next year they might do it. They may still win a few at the high downforce tracks this year - not sure about Mexico again though - wasn't that because the Renault lost less power than the other PUs rather than being a high downforce track? No idea how the Honda will work.

Edited by BCM, 14 April 2019 - 12:23.

#2964 FullOppositeLock

FullOppositeLock

• 5,188 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 12:29

I can see them making up the deficit again, seeing as they’ve done it before. The way things are going with Merc 1-2’s and Gasly being nowhere with regards to taking points of the conpetition I have a hard time believing it will be enough. Unfortunately Red Bull stumbling out of the blocks has become a bit of a theme as well, so the real question has to be can Red Bull Honda deliver a competitive package straight from the start in 2020. If they can’t it may be their last chance for a while as I can see Max tempted away unless they do. That said, 2021 is a hard reset, so anything could happen. For the immediate future, Ferrari look vulnerable enough but Mercedes are rock solid, so unless they develop into a blind alley our championship hopes are fading fast.

#2965 A3

A3

• 29,318 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 12:31

And honesty i don't blame Max fans for been impatient. We all want to see him fighting for a title instead of podiums

I've just realized that's it. This is why I feel "meh".

When you take a step back and look at the bigger picture, the career path of Max followed a very steep line upwards. And since he got into the Red Bull it has hit a wall. It's frustrating because many people feel that he can do even more. But F1 is what it is unfortunately.

#2966 BCM

BCM

• 1,641 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 12:36

Did you honestly believe they had a chance at a championship this year Opposite? I'd be surprised if anyone apart from Marko did in RB. 

The other question mark for me going into the new regs is whether or not Newey will hang around. They've managed to keep him stringing along thus far, but another 2 years? At some point he's going to say enough's enough and head off to work on sail boats or something similar.

#2967 Thatfastguy

Thatfastguy

• 1,061 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 12:39

When you take a step back and look at the bigger picture, the career path of Max followed a very steep line upwards. And since he got into the Red Bull it has hit a wall. It's frustrating because many people feel that he can do even more. But F1 is what it is unfortunately.

I've said it before but I think Max was ready for a WDC fight as early as 2017. I think a lot of the frustrations we have seen from him the past 2 years are because he's been stuck in no mans land for ages while clearly having the capacity to do better. The only reason he hasn't been able to fight the top guys more often is his car which has been holding him back. He needs the material to match his capabilities or else he won't develop. 

If RB/Honda doesn't significantly improve this year and wins from the get go in 2020 he should jump ship. I have no doubt Merc would pick him up.

Edited by Thatfastguy, 14 April 2019 - 12:40.

#2968 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 3,974 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 12:52

They still have a chance, of course they do, it's only 3 races in. Of course would that need Mercedes not getting 1/2's this often. But if Ferrari and RBR come in the mix Spain onwards, of course the WDC fight is still on. And Ferrari has that potential and RBR has that development history.

But, they can't afford to lose even one unneeded point. For that account, great they let Gasly grab that one fast lap point for instance. But last GP wrong mounted part and this GP Q fault you simply can't afford against such stable and consistent Mercedes and Hamilton.

With all but top 6 lapped, the difference between top 3 and midfield isn't really decreased. At least, not enough too my liking. With the failing Renault engines, I don't see it happening fast either sadly enough. Because some more teams in the podium fights could also increase RBR potentials (if for instance RBR still is better in traffic than Mercedes/Ferrari).

#2969 BCM

BCM

• 1,641 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 12:59

You're free to believe they have a chance. I'd put it at about the same chance I have of picking this week's lotto numbers though.

#2970 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 3,974 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 13:03

I've said it before but I think Max was ready for a WDC fight as early as 2017. I think a lot of the frustrations we have seen from him the past 2 years are because he's been stuck in no mans land for ages while clearly having the capacity to do better. The only reason he hasn't been able to fight the top guys more often is his car which has been holding him back. He needs the material to match his capabilities or else he won't develop. 

If RB/Honda doesn't significantly improve this year and wins from the get go in 2020 he should jump ship. I have no doubt Merc would pick him up.

Difficult one, think more ambition than frustration myself. Because he has had more than one opportunity to go to Mercedes if wanted and playing that route/card before on of his extension.

Max has said last year, he expect to be in the years '20 or '21 onward in the WDC fight and is working to be than for 4+ years dominant with RBR/Honda (I commented on it on this forum, will look and insert later, now on tablet). I don't think he will leave at moment he should start cashing these 3 years preparation. With current Honda performance, I expect a extension from Max very fast. Just like previous time, as first big name of the market and security Max/RBR/Honda for their longterm plan and goal.

#2971 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 5,844 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 13:17

Did you honestly believe they had a chance at a championship this year Opposite? I'd be surprised if anyone apart from Marko did in RB.

The other question mark for me going into the new regs is whether or not Newey will hang around. They've managed to keep him stringing along thus far, but another 2 years? At some point he's going to say enough's enough and head off to work on sail boats or something similar.

You can question whether Newey still has it in the modern F1 world.

Over and over again they bring an average or ‘ok’ car to the start of the season and then they make up large chunks of time during the season.

It’s time they come out of the box in Australia with a chassis advantage.

If you RB would have had the 2019 Honda in the last 5 or 6 races in 2018, they would have fought for every victory. The chassis was fully on par with Mercedes and better than Ferrari.

RB lost more than 0,5-0,6 to Mercedes this winter and 0,3-0,4 to Ferrari - CHASSIS wise.

That is simply quite poor. They should gain time on them chassis wise.

The most positive thing this year has been 1) the Honda PU and 2) Verstappen’s level.

#2972 BCM

BCM

• 1,641 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 13:26

There has definitely been a pattern of poor starts chassis wise from RB for the few years. No argument from me there.

#2973 ExEd

ExEd

• 847 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 13:27

I'm usually the first one to blame Max fans for many many things (and i'm right :clap: ) but honestly,joking aside,i get what you mean.

Its frustrating for him not to be able to prove his gains over the last years as a driver and it strips f1 fans from even more fun. Its a shame (as it was with Alonso) to not have them in front more often. 

But...thats how it is, im sure more drivers in the past could fit in those colossal Mika-MSC or Ayrton-Prost etc. battles. Cant always have 3 or 4 alpha teams... 

Anyway going off topic here. Lets hope they will improve throughout the season.

I think Max is ready to fight too but win it is different.

Im not saying he would't but he might have to fail once or twice (or maybe not ).

That's the thing ,we don't know, but even so he needs to be "thereabouts" to get more experience even if it wont work straight away.

In any case he is definitely not made for just podiums and odd wins. He will have to make decisions sooner or later imho.  

Edited by ExEd, 14 April 2019 - 13:29.

#2974 FullOppositeLock

FullOppositeLock

• 5,188 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 15:07

An outside shot if they hit the bulls eye with the front wing regs and others diidn’t. By now I’d say we practically need a miracle if we are to beat the Mercs this year, especially with Ferrari proving unreliable and often their own worst enemy hence fairly easy one two’s for the silver arrows.

#2975 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 5,844 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 15:10

The only chance for a wdc fight is a meha spec 2 Honda upgrade and a magic aero update...

Ergo, will not happen. Right now it looks like a very easy season for Hamilton unfortunately.

#2976 Dray

Dray

• 111 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:46

He needs the material to match his capabilities or else he won't develop.

I think Max is still developing, maybe even more so with a car that at this moment is being sub par. He has to drive each race to the maximum of his abilities just to stay in contention for the title. Had he been in a superior car there would have been less reason to develop his skills.

The mistakes he made last year he wouldn't have made had he been in a superior car. But he learned from those and they made him a better and more complete driver.

#2977 Dray

Dray

• 111 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:43

According to De Telegraaf Honda comes with a power upgrade in Baku of 20 hp.

#2978 Heyli

Heyli

• 2,753 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:45

Why would they come with an upgrade in Baku already? 

#2979 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 5,844 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:51

Why would they come with an upgrade in Baku already? 

Because it is a power sensitive track. 

They might run the Spec 1 engine in Monaco for instance, or just accept to take penalties further on in the year. 

RB / Honda have stated from the start that they will take upgrades (early on) at the expense of reliability, as long as it offers performance. 20 HP would be quite a bit of time in Baku, perhaps close to 0,3 seconds a lap. 

Advertisement

#2980 Heyli

Heyli

• 2,753 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 09:19

Because it is a power sensitive track. 

They might run the Spec 1 engine in Monaco for instance, or just accept to take penalties further on in the year. 

RB / Honda have stated from the start that they will take upgrades (early on) at the expense of reliability, as long as it offers performance. 20 HP would be quite a bit of time in Baku, perhaps close to 0,3 seconds a lap. 

I just dont think it´ll really improve their chances there tbh. Expect Ferrari to be a lot stronger there and Mercedes is just pretty solid every race...

We´ll see I guess :)

#2981 Dray

Dray

• 111 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 09:25

Why do you ask me ;-). But they could certainly use it there.

#2982 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,624 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 09:29

Will it require new parts? Sometimes it is gained with lubrticants, fuels and parts you can replace within the ICE requirements.

Link: https://www.telegraa...tappen-en-gasly (Dutch)

Edited by SenorSjon, 15 April 2019 - 09:30.

#2983 JimmyTheFox

JimmyTheFox

• 406 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:28

That Verstappen forum mentioned a 15 bhp power increase from the current spec weeks ago, so it seems like a fuel and oil update, it was meant for Bahrain but was pushed back. The poster also said Honda has promised 40 bhp with their spec update.

A 50-60 bhp boost within the next two races? 🤔

Edited by JimmyTheFox, 15 April 2019 - 10:30.

#2984 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

• 6,860 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:37

Horner and Marko also hinted at a power increase from Honda. Didn't expect it that soon though. I thought Horner was refering to extra power in quali mode btw.

Edited by Ivanhoe, 15 April 2019 - 10:37.

#2985 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

• 6,860 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:39

Will it require new parts? Sometimes it is gained with lubrticants, fuels and parts you can replace within the ICE requirements.

Link: https://www.telegraa...tappen-en-gasly (Dutch)

Could also be they can run the engine less conservative, because of reliability improvements.

#2986 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 2,028 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 12:24

Could also be they can run the engine less conservative, because of reliability improvements.

I guess that as they reached a minimum mileage, they are cranking more power.

#2987 ElectricBoogie

ElectricBoogie

• 347 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 13:02

Curious, isn't it? Honda was the gamble and now that's been a huge upgrade in both speed and reliability vs staying with Renault.
It's the chassis that's letting the team down now and we cannot blame Honda for that I think, RBR have lauded Honda's cooperation and achievements regarding integration.

Gasly says he's losing out vs Max especially in throttle application. Somehow this chassis can't seem to bring the effortless traction of the 2018 STR, an out of character problem for RBR to have, even if it doesn't seem to affect Max, or at least not as much.

It's a lot of time to have lost in the chassis. Do we know whether it's largely aero or mechanical? Seems desperate to expect the same amazing in-season progress as before. If the high speed aero were to be the main culprit, a power upgrade in Baku will be welcome. If the aero package is draggy, don't be surprised to have the whole midfield all over our gearbox. Gasly might not be a safe 6th, at all. Especially in the race if (when) he loses DRS which we should expect at this stage. He may need to focus setup for the last few corners to break DRS from behind and try and stick with which-ever car is ahead.

Do we know how this year's chassis performs in rain? Last year's failed at that.

I hope Max will make an effort to help Gasly figure out this car. And the factory needs to get Gasly throttle mappings he can work with. An F1 driver should be able to fend  for himself, but there is a team mission here.

#2988 Danyy

Danyy

• 2,164 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 14:22

Horner and Marko also hinted at a power increase from Honda. Didn't expect it that soon though. I thought Horner was refering to extra power in quali mode btw.

I honestly would not be that surprised. Honda is that determined to prove the doubters and Red Bull will also be equally determined even more now.

#2989 jacdaniel

jacdaniel

• 80 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 15:56

We certainly need some more pace from somewhere, whether its improvements to the engine or the chassis or both.

Max is having a strong season so far and achieving the best results possible but Ferrari and Mercedes are quicker. 

He is relying on strategy, reliability issues and racing issues for the cars in front to finish higher than 5th. 

Hopefully he can pick up as many points as possible and the upgrades will make them more competitive.

#2990 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,624 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 18:19

Aus +22,5s +0,38/lap
Bah +29,5s +0,55/lap
Chi +27,6s +0,49/lap

There is a lot to be gained.

#2991 PureRacerzzz

PureRacerzzz

• 11 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 20:12

Aus +22,5s +0,38/lap
Bah +29,5s +0,55/lap
Chi +27,6s +0,49/lap

Based on the final 2 stints of the last race the gap is around 0.7/lap and it is safe to assume HAM had a few tenths in hand. So Red Bull needs to find a second/lap asap. Doable? Yes, but it requires a significant amount of extra downforce points plus hp and IMO a B-spec car...   

#2992 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 1,387 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 20:19

Somehow this chassis can't seem to bring the effortless traction of the 2018 STR, an out of character problem for RBR to have, even if it doesn't seem to affect Max, or at least not as much.

Which is often the distinguishing feature of a great driver. They'll complain if the car is slow, but cope with it if it's a bitch to drive.

#2993 StanBarrett2

StanBarrett2

• 1,021 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 22:06

Actually looks more like RBR has to learn to do a chassis which can handle more 'grunt'  rather than providing 'wings' for a pussy engine

#2994 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 3,644 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 22:14

The engine is very reliable, which is very good for improving the horsepower right now. So the gains talked about, don't surprise me at all. This is basically Honda's ''first'' real season where they don't have an engine exploding or turned down because of reliability problems. Last year was one big experiment with STR. 

#2995 ElectricBoogie

ElectricBoogie

• 347 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 14:08

To make the most of the stronger power unit, traction will need to be ace. Gasy is struggling with that, Max is managing, but I would not be surprised if they are far from the best for traction at the moment.

If Red Bull suffers most on drag and downforce and still being better on straights relative to previous years, might Max have a better chance out-qualifying a few of the silver and/or red cars?
How will the strong DRS affect matters here in the race, does relative straight line speed even matter anymore in on track battles, isn't it all about getting that DRS to open onto the long straight?

In recent years we've seen RBR reach for long downforce setups (I suspect) to not be trampled in races. Perhaps at the cost of some outright pace. 
The Honda aided by announced slipperiness upgrades might allow them to go relatively high on downforce this time around and get good lap time. With DRS and slipstream in 2019, on Baku no-one can defend from anyone. I bet a Williams can overtake a Ferrari if it gets DRS. 
For this reason, going for optimal speed down the straight to attack/defend may be of less use than optimal pace through the last corners to achieve/prevent DRS. If you can get half a set in the 4-5 corners leading to that final DRS detection points, you'd be nearly invisible when near the other car even if you lose a  full second of the rest of the lap. Because you need DRS to overtake.

#2996 Shade

Shade

• 770 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 14:46

Aus +22,5s +0,38/lap
Bah +29,5s +0,55/lap
Chi +27,6s +0,49/lap

These stats are skewed and here's why:

AUS: the faster of the Merc drivers had damage and finished 20 sec behind. So the gap is bigger.

BAH: The fastest driver (LEC) had a problem. He would've finished like 10 seconds ahead of 2nd place Hamilton. So the gap is bigger.

CHI: Merc had no competition at all and were likely cruising to the end of the race (well not for the whole race but for a good while). So the gap could be bigger.

Whatever the situation, a 20bhp boost for Baku would give quite a good amount of laptime. 

#2997 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,624 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 14:58

In Aus, Verstappen was also blocked by that 'faster' Mercedes.

If 20 hp equals 2 tenths, they are still needing a lot.

#2998 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

• 6,860 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 17:35

In Bahrein they were hampered by a part that was mounted incorrecty leading to a mistake in the set up, so that gap also wasn’t really representative.

I think there is still a lot to unlock, both chassis/aero wise and from the PU, whereas it looks lie Mercedes hit the ground running (again).

Edited by Ivanhoe, 17 April 2019 - 17:40.

#2999 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

• 6,860 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 17:46

Max still very happy with Honda (no pun intended). He claimed they lack about 30 HP at the presentation of the Jumbo race days, but is very positive about Honda’s development capabilities, saying they really have a plan and money isn’t a problem.

Link (in Dutch) https://racingnews36...n-echt-een-plan

Edited by Ivanhoe, 17 April 2019 - 17:48.

Advertisement

#3000 Bosmonster

Bosmonster

• 53 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 18:25

To make the most of the stronger power unit, traction will need to be ace. Gasy is struggling with that, Max is managing, but I would not be surprised if they are far from the best for traction at the moment.

Still Max said that the 2019 chassis suited him much better than the 2018 one. I was kind of surprised when I heard him say that, but so far he has shown as well that he has no problem extracting performance from it.

Edited by Bosmonster, 17 April 2019 - 18:26.