Photo
* * * * - 10 votes

Red Bull Racing Technical Thread (RB15)

• Please log in to reply
4805 replies to this topic

Poll: Will the VTEC kick in? (400 member(s) have cast votes)

Can they fight for the championship?

1. Yes (108 votes [27.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.00%

2. No (220 votes [55.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 55.00%

3. Don’t Know (72 votes [18.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#3001 TF110

TF110

• 3,052 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 20:12

I think their tire wear is a little behind, at the least compared to last year. That is a big deal. A few teams are having trouble with tires, but that's to be expected of these crappy Pirelli's. I do wish Bridgestone was still around but F1 wanted to 'spice' up the show and got a second rate race-tire company. Lets see about Baku. Acceleration and top speed will be key. I think Ferrari will be favored there. RB might have some trouble unless they trim the wings. Praying Honda is up to task, it seems they're good looking at TR's top speeds. They may just surprise, I hope.

Advertisement

#3002 A3

A3

• 29,553 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 20:27

Found this on Reddit:
Of course Max didn't do a 2nd Q3 run, so there might have been more in it.
Acceleration out of corners seems good, which is important in Baku. Ferrari's straight line speed is insane though.

sEVQGcW.png

#3003 Thatfastguy

Thatfastguy

• 1,066 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 21:17

In Aus, Verstappen was also blocked by that 'faster' Mercedes.

If 20 hp equals 2 tenths, they are still needing a lot.

By Hamilton you mean? When Max got close Ham just upped the pace a little bit, even with a damaged floor and then Max couldn’t get closer. He confirmed Max was never a threat post race.

#3004 ArrowsLivery

ArrowsLivery

• 3,208 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 01:06

Christian, if your car is going to drag its floor all through the straights, losing top speed, your chassis shouldn’t “just” match the Merc/Ferrari in the corners, but beat them handily.

#3005 TF110

TF110

• 3,052 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 03:23

By Hamilton you mean? When Max got close Ham just upped the pace a little bit, even with a damaged floor and then Max couldn’t get closer. He confirmed Max was never a threat post race.

Kinda hard to overtake at Melbourne and the race was nearly over so the tires were basically shot. Plus Max ran off track when chasing Ham so that further degraded his tires and his pace.

#3006 FullOppositeLock

FullOppositeLock

• 5,378 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 06:26

Max hopes Red Bull will be able to challenge for wins on all types of track by mid season:

https://www.motorspo...e-wins/4372580/

Edited by FullOppositeLock, 18 April 2019 - 06:36.

#3007 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,895 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 09:40

I think their tire wear is a little behind, at the least compared to last year. That is a big deal. A few teams are having trouble with tires, but that's to be expected of these crappy Pirelli's. I do wish Bridgestone was still around but F1 wanted to 'spice' up the show and got a second rate race-tire company. Lets see about Baku. Acceleration and top speed will be key. I think Ferrari will be favored there. RB might have some trouble unless they trim the wings. Praying Honda is up to task, it seems they're good looking at TR's top speeds. They may just surprise, I hope.

I've read comments from Haas and Russell that the tires were very hard to keep in the window and they lost their temps quickly, especially with blue flags. With low energy corners the tires stay dead and you slide everywhere. Sounds a lot like the trouble RB had on the hard tire. With Baku having only low energy corners, we could be in for a host of issues.

That floor damage wasn't that extensive. Compare it to the remodelled RB side in Brazil 2018.

#3008 Booky36

Booky36

• 209 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 11:35

Max hopes Red Bull will be able to challenge for wins on all types of track by mid season:

“I am very pleased with Honda so far. The engine is very reliable. Power could always be better, but we knew that. They’re working really hard on it. We can’t complain.

starting to complain , and telling they can't,   the so pre season powerfull Honda isn't that powerfull anymore,  RB  soon on their old habit , blaiming thier engine partner?  wait and see  :drunk:

Edited by Booky36, 18 April 2019 - 11:36.

#3009 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

• 7,009 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 11:44

“I’m very pleased with Honda. We can’t complain”

You have a very strange definition of ‘complaining’

Edited by Ivanhoe, 18 April 2019 - 11:47.

#3010 Booky36

Booky36

• 209 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 11:47

“I’m very pleased with Honda. We can’t complain” You have a very strange definition of ‘complaining’

and Max a very unique one of "not complaining"

#3011 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

• 7,009 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 11:49

I have no idea what your saying, other than it’s probably another dig at Red Bull or Max, since that’s your only contribution in this thread.

#3012 FullOppositeLock

FullOppositeLock

• 5,378 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 11:56

If this is complaining every driver ever has complained about every engine in the history of F1. It “could always be better, but we knew that” after stating he’s happy and compliments its reliability, seriously!?

#3013 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,895 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 12:45

Shock horror, driver says: "I want more power." 

#3014 ExEd

ExEd

• 876 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 13:56

Shock horror, driver says: "I want more power."

But to be fair when he wanted that from Renault everyone and their dog were going mad in here ... now being behind a bunch of HP it’s alright , they are working on it ...

#3015 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,895 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 14:06

Because Renault (Cyril) used to promise a lot and then underdelivers. The party mode for instance that wasn't noticable for any Renault driver. Or promised 3-4 tenths that ended up being 1-2 tops.

#3016 A3

A3

• 29,553 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 14:14

But to be fair when he wanted that from Renault everyone and their dog were going mad in here ... now being behind a bunch of HP it’s alright , they are working on it ...

3 years of Renault promising more power. Reliability issues, spare part issues. Engine mapping issues. Driving around with an old MGU-K. The list is long.

Honda only improved over the last 3 years, why should anyone complain about that?

#3017 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

• 7,009 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 14:17

Plus that it’s a works deal, paying big money for a subpar product is something different than getting it for free.

#3018 A3

A3

• 29,553 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 14:54

Plus that it’s a works deal, paying big money for a subpar product is something different than getting it for free.

True, but that shouldn’t matter to Max. He’s not the one paying. ;)

#3019 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 6,352 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 18:15

starting to complain , and telling they can't, the so pre season powerfull Honda isn't that powerfull anymore, RB soon on their old habit , blaiming thier engine partner? wait and see :drunk:

Omg, Honda not on par with Ferrari / Merc.

Shocking revelation!

Advertisement

#3020 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

• 7,009 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 18:21

Max complaining again

You notice that at the start of a Formula 1 weekend. Honda comes to the circuit, installs the engine, and then everything works as planned. What I really like is that the stickers on the plugs always fit perfectly with the stickers on the engine side. It just all fits. It’s all so incredibly organized, you just know exactly where everything should go.

Of course, I knew exactly what I could expect from the Honda engine from the test bench results and they live up to those expectations. It is certainly not disappointing and they also work very effectively to solve problems. "

"If I have a problem on Friday, it may be that they resolved it with a different engine setting a day later by going straight to the test bench. That was all a bit more difficult in the Renault era”

#3021 Marklar

Marklar

• 34,742 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 19:55

Well, if he keeps picking up the points, collects the podiums/wins on tracks Red Bull already works well on and Ferrari starts taking points off the Merc (and vice-versa) it might be not too late.

Still think that 2020 is a more realistic goal to challenge for the title, though. If there are is no realistic perspective for the title I would use this year as a test bench for 2020. With Gasly they cant challenge for the WCC anyways and the midfield wont get near them either.

The fact that Verstappen appears to feel like it's worth to attempt to play the long game is imo the most encouraging sign for Red Bull.

Honda has a stronger reliability than Ferrari/Renault and isnt far away performance-wise from Mercedes. The way Honda developed in the last couple of years is very impressive and doesnt deserve to be dismissed like some here do. Obviously they will eventually be measured on whether they will manage those final steps to close the gap...

#3022 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 3,988 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 20:15

It's the strength of the whole Mercedes team that's a frightening foresight.

#3023 Heyli

Heyli

• 3,195 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 20:40

Well, if he keeps picking up the points, collects the podiums/wins on tracks Red Bull already works well on and Ferrari starts taking points off the Merc (and vice-versa) it might be not too late.

Still think that 2020 is a more realistic goal to challenge for the title, though. If there are is no realistic perspective for the title I would use this year as a test bench for 2020. With Gasly they cant challenge for the WCC anyways and the midfield wont get near them either.

The fact that Verstappen appears to feel like it's worth to attempt to play the long game is imo the most encouraging sign for Red Bull.

Honda has a stronger reliability than Ferrari/Renault and isnt far away performance-wise from Mercedes. The way Honda developed in the last couple of years is very impressive and doesnt deserve to be dismissed like some here do. Obviously they will eventually be measured on whether they will manage those final steps to close the gap...

Max usually seems to be quite realistic about his hopes and chances, so it´s definitely a good sign that he still has confidence it´s still possible.

#3024 Danyy

Danyy

• 2,284 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 22:09

I like he’s positivity and the way he has been driving. He’s kept himself in contention while they wait to properly challenge, hopefully sooner rather than later

#3025 Danyy

Danyy

• 2,284 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 22:12

Mercedes seem too good to lose out to Ferrari at the moment so I wouldn’t bet on that. Red Bull have to rely on themselves to stay in it this year.

Edited by Danyy, 18 April 2019 - 22:13.

#3026 Clatter

Clatter

• 36,169 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 11:11

Max complaining again

How is that complaining?

#3027 basimi

basimi

• 161 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 11:22

How is that complaining?

It’s called sarcasm.

#3028 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

• 7,009 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 12:33

How is that complaining?

Should have used quotation marks, it was an attempt to a sarcastic reference to post #3008.

#3029 Booky36

Booky36

• 209 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 09:12

the subpar stuff won china last year,  which RB didn't this year,  and scored more point after 3 gp even with a double DNF tag huer engine looked closer to win than  RBH

#3030 bibliophagos

bibliophagos

• 217 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 09:22

the subpar stuff won china last year, which RB didn't this year, and scored more point after 3 gp even with a double DNF tag huer engine looked closer to win than RBH

I just can't figure out if you actually believe all the things you're posting, ot that you're just trolling.

#3031 Ragnar668

Ragnar668

• 1,884 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 09:26

the subpar stuff won china last year,  which RB didn't this year,  and scored more point after 3 gp even with a double DNF tag huer engine looked closer to win than  RBH

Tactics won China last year

#3032 Heyli

Heyli

• 3,195 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 10:08

Scorebord journalism... 

#3033 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 6,352 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 10:33

the subpar stuff won china last year, which RB didn't this year, and scored more point after 3 gp even with a double DNF tag huer engine looked closer to win than RBH

Wait was Gasly-I-Am-0.8-slower-than-Verstappen already driving the car last year?

And how many unreliability issues did they have last year compared to this year.

If you’re here to troll, at least make an effort :-).

#3034 A3

A3

• 29,553 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 11:54

the subpar stuff won china last year,

The subpar stuff has had 5 (?) retirements already this year, and they're looking at a record breaking early penalty. :wave:

#3035 hasika

hasika

• 208 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 03:22

https://members.f1-l...t/report/81778/

The Japanese journalist just confirms Honda will introduce Spec2 in Baku,but the update is not a big one.

#3036 Stephane

Stephane

• 2,197 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 04:49

The one not that trustable ?

Whe, google translate this in french for me, it reads like aother speculation on the same quotes by Marko. Nothing confirming anything, then

Edited by Stephane, 21 April 2019 - 04:53.

#3037 hasika

hasika

• 208 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 07:35

The one not that trustable ?

Whe, google translate this in french for me, it reads like aother speculation on the same quotes by Marko. Nothing confirming anything, then

The japanese journalist is reliable in most cases.

He did not believe Honda will bring hardware upgrade in Baku when the rumor was reported in the last few days,but now he confirms that.

#3038 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 3,988 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 12:26

Why didn't that "subpar stuff" that this year than? It hasn't even reach a podium yet this year.

#3039 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,202 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 15:56

BIG NEWS:

Adrian Newey was in Japan this weekend attending Super Formula Round 1 at Suzuka.

Advertisement

#3040 Tiakumosan

Tiakumosan

• 631 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 16:16

Wasn't his son racing?

#3041 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,202 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 17:24

Of course.

It's meant to be joke, as in "Newey was not at Chinese GP (correct me if I'm wrong on this, I remember hearing/reading somewhere, searched but to no avail) and it's natural to suppose that it was to concentrate on Spain upgrade package, yet he came all the way to Suzuka to attend his son's debut for SF wasting 3-4 days just for that".

Whatever it is it's still surprise to see Adrian Newey in garage at Suzuka at this time of year even for his son. 

Edited by muramasa, 21 April 2019 - 17:30.

#3042 Clatter

Clatter

• 36,169 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 17:54

Why didn't that "subpar stuff" that this year than? It hasn't even reach a podium yet this year.

It's not in the same car as last year, otherwise it might have been.

#3043 Tiakumosan

Tiakumosan

• 631 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 17:54

Sorry, muramasa, didn't got the joke. Should have noticed it. Sorry, again.

#3044 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 3,988 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 20:30

Of course.
It's meant to be joke, as in "Newey was not at Chinese GP (correct me if I'm wrong on this, I remember hearing/reading somewhere, searched but to no avail) and it's natural to suppose that it was to concentrate on Spain upgrade package, yet he came all the way to Suzuka to attend his son's debut for SF wasting 3-4 days just for that".
Whatever it is it's still surprise to see Adrian Newey in garage at Suzuka at this time of year even for his son.

"Just for that"

I assume you don't have kids?

#3045 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 6,318 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 09:46

"Just for that"

With the success Adrian has had and the wealth he has, in surprised he still finds motivation to do what he does. Especially if that involves missing out on things like watching your son race at Suzuka.

These kind of people are a different breed to me. Not saying it's bad, but I'm impressed and amazed by their motivation to keep striving. Unfortunate it can come at family expense though. Good for Adrian.

#3046 Booky36

Booky36

• 209 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 10:34

Tactics won China last year

https://youtu.be/uiub1DnUnkg?t=106

Max third closing the gap to 5s, when SC came at 27th lap isn't the same of course as this year where he strugled to keep 5th ..   when you'll be looking at facts .    we all hope RB wining on regular basis, but  facts shows that RB switch to honda didn't brought them closer to top two. even Horner  confirm it 

#3047 metoo

metoo

• 93 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 11:42

And Gasley even has 100 hp less then Max, and Toro Rosso 150 hp

#3048 statman

statman

• 5,004 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 11:59

https://members.f1-l...t/report/81778/

The Japanese journalist just confirms Honda will introduce Spec2 in Baku,but the update is not a big one.

Seems to be engine modes:

soymotor (through translation):

Red Bull and Toro Rosso will enjoy in the Grand Prix of Azerbaijan a new evolution of the Honda power unit, which will come with a very aggressive engine map to try to close the gap with Mercedes and Ferrari in qualifying.

The Japanese brand has prepared a great evolution for its engine that will arrive in the urban circuit of Baku, where the power is essential due to the long straights that it keeps in its interior.

The improvement has been estimated at about 20 horsepower , which above all will give the teams of the brand of energy drinks some extra performance in classification. This would leave Honda to only 18 horses of the Mercedes and Ferrari engines, while Renault would be somewhat behind.

"Honda will bring an update - in Azerbaijan - to give their teams the possibility to use high-power classification modes similar to those of their rivals".

In China it was shown that Red Bull has a race pace close to Ferrari - Verstappen was fourth, interspersed between the two Ferrari - but that step forward was still lacking in terms of power with a view to Saturdays.

Through this evolution, the Austrian team becomes a serious candidate to compete for the World Championship. Max Verstappen is currently third in the drivers' contest, only behind the two drivers of Mercedes.

It remains to be seen if this update of the power unit continues the trend of the beginning of the season as far as reliability is concerned. The Honda engines have not had any problems in these first three Grands Prixes -just Daniil Kvyat in China's free 1- and they expect this new power unit to follow the same line.

#3049 FullOppositeLock

FullOppositeLock

• 5,378 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 13:56

https://youtu.be/uiub1DnUnkg?t=106

Max third closing the gap to 5s, when SC came at 27th lap isn't the same of course as this year where he strugled to keep 5th .. when you'll be looking at facts . we all hope RB wining on regular basis, but facts shows that RB switch to honda didn't brought them closer to top two. even Horner confirm it

Interesting “fact” there mate

#3050 Marklar

Marklar

• 34,742 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 14:09

"Just for that"

It's more like he isnt even visiting every race of his son even if it's in Europe, so surprising that he travels all the way to Japan for that then.