Photo
* * * * - 10 votes

Red Bull Racing Technical Thread (RB15)

• Please log in to reply
4681 replies to this topic

Poll: Will the VTEC kick in? (400 member(s) have cast votes)

Can they fight for the championship?

1. Yes (108 votes [27.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.00%

2. No (220 votes [55.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 55.00%

3. Don’t Know (72 votes [18.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#301 f1rules

f1rules

• 6,729 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 13:38

wow the new pictures from the track reveals how short thoose sidepods are, insane agressive packaging by redbull

Advertisement

#302 Pete_f1

Pete_f1

• 1,452 posts

Looks like Torro Rosso

#303 Danyy

Danyy

• 2,164 posts

Dat RAKE

#304 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 6,746 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 13:39

What's the point in these "one off" liveries? Complete waste of time.

"Here's what our car could look like...but won't."

#305 Beamer

Beamer

• 1,692 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 13:40

It looks awsome. But I hope the number is coming down because now you only see who drives by cam as the helmet is blocked by the Halo.

ftfy. 

#306 JeePee

JeePee

• 2,947 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 13:41

Two times the publicity

#307 kumo7

kumo7

• 2,018 posts

Looks like Torro Rosso

I was just about to say this.

Vey much the 'same'...

Perhaps Honda changes engine too often on STR, that is the only difference... 

#308 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

• 6,860 posts

It’s double exposure in the media. Next week all sites will be full of pictures of the 2019 livery. I can completely understand that strategy.

#309 statman

statman

• 4,821 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 13:43

you've just proven their point. This forum, twitter, instagram etc. are all buzzing about this car.

#310 Danyy

Danyy

• 2,164 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 13:44

5-D8385-D7-B0-B0-4284-9-C56-C01545-E141-

#311 statman

statman

• 4,821 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 13:46

btw if anyone wants higher resolution pics:

https://i.imgur.com/hCc6QGt.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ouotJoB.jpg

on track:

https://i.imgur.com/b7Csyub.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/E1MmZSN.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/16yVf5Q.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/LkILG5N.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ABWWD5N.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/SOlOa83.jpg

Edited by statman, 13 February 2019 - 13:53.

#312 FullOppositeLock

FullOppositeLock

• 5,188 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 13:48

Looks absolutely amazing on track. Can't wait to see if she's as fast as she is good looking :clap:

#313 FordFiesta

FordFiesta

• 224 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 13:48

Yeah, looks like a livery which would've been usually found on a Toro Rosso. If the livery is an indicator, then RB15 isn't a world beater.

#314 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

• 6,860 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 13:49

I was just about to say this.
Vey much the 'same'...
Perhaps Honda changes engine too often on STR, that is the only difference...

Looks like Torro Rosso

You guys gotto to be kidding, doesn’t look like the STR14 at all. Nose, barge boards, side pods are totally different. The Red Bull also has a much tighter package.

#315 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 6,746 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 13:50

It’s double exposure in the media. Next week all sites will be full of pictures of the 2019 livery. I can completely understand that strategy.

Surely they'd get more exposure if they actually used it during the season, rather than running the same boring old scheme year-after-year?

#316 statman

statman

• 4,821 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 13:51

DzSenyAWkAU-5wJ.jpg

found a brighter version:

14c0jtf.jpg

#317 Dennista

Dennista

• 427 posts

Looks absolutely amazing on track. Can't wait to see if she's as fast as she is good looking :clap:

With a Honda in the back, pretty on the outside, ugly on the inside. Don't expect it to go very fast.

Edited by Dennista, 13 February 2019 - 13:52.

#318 Danyy

Danyy

• 2,164 posts

Nice profile pic, looks fast! ;-)

Edited by Danyy, 13 February 2019 - 13:53.

#319 Talisman

Talisman

• 5,938 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 13:54

Beautiful car, can't believe the sidepods could be made tighter every year but they've managed.  Nice to see a 2019 car breaking cover in the metal rather than yet another dulled down computer render.

Advertisement

#320 rootten

rootten

• 982 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 13:58

With a Honda in the back, pretty on the outside, ugly on the inside. Don't expect it to go very fast.

Yeap, fair assumption. Honda is yet to prove their doubters wrong

#321 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 20,841 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 14:02

The new front wings really do look great :up:

#322 TheGoldenStoffel

TheGoldenStoffel

• 514 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 14:05

The new front wings really do look great :up:

I agree, much better! I only hope it won't cause many more punctures.

#323 A3

A3

• 29,318 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 14:06

Why wouldn't it go fast? It went fast with a Renault in the back while the other 2 Renault engined teams struggled. What's your point of reference?

#324 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,755 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 14:06

Look forward to that poster who's name escapes me that always moaned about the lack of Honda stickers on the McLarens of recent years start moaning about Red Bull. Your problem now RBR fans!

Here!!!  :wave: I'm certainly an RBR fan too.

The lack of Honda branding is alarming.

It seems like Toro Rosso is still technically the works team (and Toro Rosso has excellent Honda branding, much better than McLaren ever did when they were the works team -- for instance even the Honda emblem on the nose of the Toro Rosso is much bigger than on the McLaren, meanwhile there are also two excellent prominent Honda emblems around the cockpit for the onboards, something McLaren never bothered with), and Red Bull is either paying for their engines or somehow not getting a full works deal. 

The branding on the Red Bull seems to be the minimum level possible, more akin to Mercedes branding on the Williams and so on.  :well:   The Honda emblem on the nose is comically small, and Honda is placed much lower than TAG Heur and Aston Martin on the team uniforms.  :well:    

Where the Toro Rosso drivers have Honda branding on their visors, the Red Bull drivers still have Aston Martin.   :well:

Hopefully, at the minimum, the nose emblem will be corrected in the final livery.  It would be disappointing if it was not (there must, in that case, be more to it in terms of Toro Rosso being the works team, and Red Bull not being the works team?).  A large red Honda emblem (either above or below the Aston Martin badge) against the yellow background of the nose of the race livery should provide a strong branding image on TV.

As you know Nicktendo, the iconic Williams and McLaren had huge Honda emblems on the nose.  In many seasons, McLaren also placed a large Honda decal on the steering wheel (very important for the subliminal branding message from onboard vision), although that was at some point replaced by a Shell deca, IIRC.  A very important part of the branding message IMO.  The branding on the Red Bull is more akin to the small decals on the very first Honda-powered Williams -- of course, paying sponsors Aston Martin and TAG Heur need to be happy, but one wonders who is contributing more or if Red Bull are actually paying part of the cost of the power unit supply (with Toro Rosso remaining the "works" team with free power units).   :confused:

This is how I think the race livery should be, a nicely contrasting "H" the same size as on the Toro Rosso -- hopefully that dismal tiny H emblem on the nose is revised on the final livery....

qtfZo30.jpg

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 13 February 2019 - 14:22.

#325 FullOppositeLock

FullOppositeLock

• 5,188 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 14:08

Yeap, fair assumption. Honda is yet to prove their doubters wrong

Honda sure still needs to prove their doubters wrong, very much so. I know a certain French manufacturer that loves to talk a good deal but for whom the same applies. One thing is for certain, Mercedes and Ferrari have very good reason not to want to supply Red Bull Racing with their engine whilst they run factory teams of their own, and the team had no other option than to jump at the chance McLaren left them to see if this could change their fortunes, because staying with Renault as a customer was leading them nowhere fast. We'll see how they go in 2019. Personally I hope all the teams get a lot closer to Mercedes and Ferrari - more competition can only be a good thing for this sport in terminal decline.

#326 A3

A3

• 29,318 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 14:10

Here!!!  :wave:

It seems like Toro Rosso is still technically the works team (and Toro Rosso has excellent Honda branding, much better than McLaren ever did when they were the works team -- for instance even the Honda emblem on the nose of the Toro Rosso is much bigger than on the McLaren, meanwhile there are also two excellent prominent Honda emblems around the cockpit for the onboards, something McLaren never bothered with), and Red Bull is either paying for their engines or somehow not getting a full works deal. 

The branding on the Red Bull seems to be the minimum level possible, more akin to Mercedes branding on the Williams and so on.  :well:   The Honda emblem on the nose is comically small, and Honda is placed much lower than TAG Heur and Aston Martin on the team uniforms.  :well:    

Where the Toro Rosso drivers have Honda branding on their visors, the Red Bull drivers still have Aston Martin.   :well:

Hopefully, at the minimum, the nose emblem will be corrected in the final livery.  It would be disappointing if it was not (there must, in that case, be more to it in terms of Toro Rosso being the works team, and Red Bull not being the works team?).  A large red Honda emblem (either above or below the Aston Martin badge) against the yellow background of the nose of the race livery should provide a strong branding image on TV.

Here's a thought.

Maybe Honda don't want to be that big on the car, as they want to keep a low profile. They've had bad press for a while now and Red Bulls performances will speak much louder than any small or large sticker on the car.

#327 OSX

OSX

• 4,845 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 14:11

jd4xE6y.jpg

#328 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,288 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 14:14

My first impression was "woah!! that's..  different"

Then it grew on me more and more and now I'm wishing it wasn't just a testing livery.

also.. that rake and engine cover :eek:

#329 RobG

RobG

• 866 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 14:21

It's amazing how this in- or outlet ended up on the car. At first sight it looks too ridiculous to even consider spending time on designing it.

Red-Bull-RB15-Shakedown-Silverstone-Form

#330 Burai

Burai

• 1,476 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 14:21

Here!!!  :wave:

Or:

Honda just simply aren't paying for the exposure you think they should be getting and this is reflected in the size of the decals, just as it was at McLaren. The decals on the Toro Rosso are bigger, simply because that's what £x gets you on the 9th placed team versus the 3rd placed team.

#331 Growing

Growing

• 467 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 14:27

I was unsure if red bull could fight for the championship. Now I've seen her livery and I think them can absolutely do it.

#332 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,755 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 14:27

Here's a thought.

Maybe Honda don't want to be that big on the car, as they want to keep a low profile.

:rolleyes:

Nope.   ;)

formula-1-toro-rosso-launch-20-2.jpg

#333 JeePee

JeePee

• 2,947 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 14:28

It's amazing how this in- or outlet ended up on the car. At first sight it looks too ridiculous to even consider spending time on designing it.

Red-Bull-RB15-Shakedown-Silverstone-Form

The return of the stepped-nose.

#334 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,755 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 14:28

Or:

Honda just simply aren't paying for the exposure you think they should be getting and this is reflected in the size of the decals

Obviously the cost of the power unit supply is part of the sponsorship supplied.   ;)

Why wouldn't you spend $30m on a set of large decals if asked, when spending $300m on a power unit program?  It doesn't make sense.  Surely there is an understanding that there is a level of branding provided as part of a works supply arrangement.

Do you think this logo and the helmet visor decal had a cost attached to it, or was it in exchange for the free works engine supply.  One to ponder...

images_williams_fw11_1986_1_b.jpg

Regardless of fans having an understanding of what power unit is in what car, the power of branding is very important IMO.

RTX6E5SU.jpeg

RTX6E5SU.jpeg

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 13 February 2019 - 14:36.

#335 Thatfastguy

Thatfastguy

• 1,061 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 14:29

Now THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is how you do it. Sick, sick livery. Much better then the other team's liveries so far. Too bad its probably a one off. 

Looks like an absolute beast designwise too. 

#336 TakataDomeNSX

TakataDomeNSX

• 1,867 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 14:30

I think it is as simple as Aston is the title sponsor, the engine supplier must accept this and their logos cannot be bigger or more numerous than Aston's.

#337 TheGoldenStoffel

TheGoldenStoffel

• 514 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 14:32

I was unsure if red bull could fight for the championship. Now I've seen her livery and I think them can absolutely do it.

Yes because the colour of the paint determines the speed of the car. Wonder why Williams and McLaren didn't think about a respray mid way through last season as it could've solved all their problems.

#338 ExEd

ExEd

• 847 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 14:35

Obviously the cost of the power unit supply is part of the sponsorship supplied.   ;)

Yes but you dont know the % of that part.

If in that price is included a small minimal sticker ,thats what you get.

Companies like Mclaren or Redbull and Honda are having marketing teams and deal with agreements for those kind of stuff. 

One could say they know a little bit more than you on the matter ,no?

#339 Growing

Growing

• 467 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 14:35

Yes because the colour of the paint determines the speed of the car. Wonder why Williams and McLaren didn't think about a respray mid way through last season as it could've solved all their problems.

Yes. You got the idea

Advertisement

#340 Jbleroi

Jbleroi

• 937 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 14:38

Why wouldn't you spend $30m on a set of large decals if asked, when spending $300m on a power unit program?  It doesn't make sense.  Surely there is an understanding that there is a level of branding provided as part of a works supply arrangement.

Do you think this logo and the helmet visor decal had a cost attached to it, or was it in exchange for the free works engine supply.  One to ponder...

images_williams_fw11_1986_1_b.jpg

Aston Martin has a multi year deal with RedBull so probably those places where already sold for this year (and maybe the next)

#341 A3

A3

• 29,318 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 14:40

Surely there is an understanding that there is a level of branding provided as part of a works supply arrangement.

You're right, "a level".

In Red Bull's case, their main sponsor is Aston Martin. So the level of branding Honda are going to get is not that large.

As if Honda would care. They're in the best place now since they've returned to Formula 1, they can put their engine in one of the best chassis on the grid.

#342 Quickshifter

Quickshifter

• 4,330 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 14:42

Incredible detailing and really tight packaging from Redbull. This car looks so developed in every single area. The boomerang wing and the bargeboards are a piece of art. The sidepods look even more smaller and generally the most advanced looking car out there so far.

#343 statman

statman

• 4,821 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 14:45

I think this was a (sarcastic) response to this post:

Yeah, looks like a livery which would've been usually found on a Toro Rosso. If the livery is an indicator, then RB15 isn't a world beater.

#344 danmills

danmills

• 1,226 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 14:45

The squared up red bull logo looks to me like a prawn  :rotfl:

77962513-shrimp-prawn-icon-vector-filled

Edited by danmills, 13 February 2019 - 14:46.

#345 Thatfastguy

Thatfastguy

• 1,061 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 14:46

Incredible detailing and really tight packaging from Redbull. This car looks so developed in every single area. The boomerang wing and the bargeboards are a piece of art. The sidepods look even more smaller and generally the most advanced looking car out there so far.

This! Looks like a next gen car almost. 

#346 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,755 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 14:47

As if Honda would care. They're in the best place now since they've returned to Formula 1, they can put their engine in one of the best chassis on the grid.

Of course they care, subliminal branding is important.  To make that connection between Senna and your Accord economy car, just because the badge is the same (and the Accord was, and is, of course a very well engineered car).

image16x9.img.1536.high.jpg

gallery_used-car-carlist-honda-accord-ex

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 13 February 2019 - 14:50.

#347 PedroDiCasttro

PedroDiCasttro

• 1,602 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 14:48

It's the most beautiful 2019 F1 car up to now.

#348 Danyy

Danyy

• 2,164 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 14:49

WOW

#349 TheGoldenStoffel

TheGoldenStoffel

• 514 posts

I think this was a (sarcastic) response to this post:

Ah alright, didn't see that one and it's difficult to pick out sarcasm sometimes when there are people who seriously post those things for real. If it was sarcasm I'm sorry Growing ;)

#350 Nicktendo86

Nicktendo86

• 2,125 posts

Here!!!  :wave: I'm certainly an RBR fan too.

As you know Nicktendo, the iconic Williams and McLaren had huge Honda emblems on the nose.  In many seasons, McLaren also placed a large Honda decal on the steering wheel (very important for the subliminal branding message from onboard vision), although that was at some point replaced by a Shell deca, IIRC.  A very important part of the branding message IMO.  The branding on the Red Bull is more akin to the small decals on the very first Honda-powered Williams -- of course, paying sponsors Aston Martin and TAG Heur need to be happy, but one wonders who is contributing more or if Red Bull are actually paying part of the cost of the power unit supply (with Toro Rosso remaining the "works" team with free power units).   :confused:

This is how I think the race livery should be, a nicely contrasting "H" the same size as on the Toro Rosso -- hopefully that dismal tiny H emblem on the nose is revised on the final livery....

qtfZo30.jpg

Sorry V8 Fireworks how on earth could I forger your name!!!