Photo
* * * * - 10 votes

Red Bull Racing Technical Thread (RB15)

• Please log in to reply
4376 replies to this topic

Poll: Will the VTEC kick in? (395 member(s) have cast votes)

Can they fight for the championship?

1. Yes (107 votes [27.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.09%

2. No (216 votes [54.68%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 54.68%

3. Don’t Know (72 votes [18.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.23%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#4351 Reddington

Reddington

• 515 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 00:50

Merc and Red Bull engineers have indicated the Merc race pace advantage was around 0.15 a lap.

Source?

Advertisement

#4352 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,181 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:03

Gap divided by laps? They probably extrapolated the time without a 2nd stop and Max should have been some 10s behind in the end.

#4353 Reddington

Reddington

• 515 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:24

Gap divided by laps? They probably extrapolated the time without a 2nd stop and Max should have been some 10s behind in the end.

You can’t do that with drivers running completely different strategies.

#4354 JimmyTheFox

JimmyTheFox

• 365 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:31

DAZN F1 interviewed Yamamoto before Silverstone - https://m.youtube.co...h?v=wLuewJWnaNY

YouTube subs are useless, would love to know what's said about 'size zero' when they laugh at it 😆

#4355 Marklar

Marklar

• 31,926 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:31

Only point where you can really compare it is the first stint, and since Hamilton kept up despite dirty air but couldnt go faster once Max pitted those 0.15 s seems to be about right.

#4356 Reddington

Reddington

• 515 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:43

Only point where you can really compare it is the first stint, and since Hamilton kept up despite dirty air but couldnt go faster once Max pitted those 0.15 s seems to be about right.

Still seems a wild stab to me. 0.15? Why not 0.3? Or even 0.5? After Max pitted, all comparisons are out the window. Lewis might not have gone faster because he was preserving tyres.
I am fine believing actual data from the teams, but this is just guessing in my opinion.

Edited by Reddington, 14 August 2019 - 09:43.

#4357 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 5,469 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:47

Still seems a wild stab to me. 0.15? Why not 0.3? Or even 0.5? After Max pitted, all comparisons are out the window. Lewis might not have gone faster because he was preserving tyres.
I am fine believing actual data from the teams, but this is just guessing in my opinion.

If Hamilton would be 0,5 faster, he'd most 

a) pressure Max more instead of staying within 2 second

b) he'd be faster the moment Max pitted, because he was driving 0,5 slower than his car/tires could handle for many laps and should have some extra speed. Instead, when Max pitted, Hamilton's laptimes actually also dropped / stagnated. 

#4358 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 15,004 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 21:47

Just as a side note: https://www.theguard...t-to-record-low

#4359 Danyy

Danyy

• 2,027 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 07:06

Excited for the new line up and the engine/car upgrades. I still think 5 wins is doable :)

Advertisement

#4360 Talisman

Talisman

• 5,658 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 09:41

DAZN F1 interviewed Yamamoto before Silverstone - https://m.youtube.co...h?v=wLuewJWnaNY

YouTube subs are useless, would love to know what's said about 'size zero' when they laugh at it 😆

Nothing really. The interviewer mumbles something about whether going aggressive when they first entered F1 has paid dividends in the long run, to which the reply is ‘(you mean) size zero?’

What is interesting is how much the PUs are a work in progress after they are introduced. They say that Honda were disappointed with the spec they introduced in France where the increased power didn’t seem to manifest itself in improved performance with MV losing out to Leclerc at the start and Gasly to a Renault later. He says they had problems with the heat in France which they set out to address to maintain performance in hot conditions. A few weeks later this paid dividends in Austria.

There is a lot about Austria and what it meant to Honda, also about the podium where Tanabe was presented an award by Berger, the guy who he used to be a race engineer for and is a longstanding friend with.

Also a lot of positive stuff about RBR and what great partners they are.

#4361 Roadhouse

Roadhouse

• 479 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 10:50

What is interesting is how much the PUs are a work in progress after they are introduced. They say that Honda were disappointed with the spec they introduced in France where the increased power didn’t seem to manifest itself in improved performance with MV losing out to Leclerc at the start and Gasly to a Renault later. He says they had problems with the heat in France which they set out to address to maintain performance in hot conditions. A few weeks later this paid dividends in Austria.

I think this is what sets them apart from Renault. Not looking for excuses, but just working your ass off to solve problems.

Renault would've probably blamed RBR for not providing enough cooling.

#4362 Talisman

Talisman

• 5,658 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 12:44

I think this is what sets them apart from Renault. Not looking for excuses, but just working your ass off to solve problems.

I would be extremely surprised if Renault and the rest weren't doing the exact same thing as Honda, evolving the way the engine is used from race to race.

#4363 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,543 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 17:51

Honda and Red Bull are a good match.  :up:

I would be extremely surprised if Renault and the rest weren't doing the exact same thing as Honda, evolving the way the engine is used from race to race.

Of course, but Honda have been refreshingly open (as below), compared to the boring secrecy of Renault, Ferrari and Mercedes.

RA617H harvesting and motoring strategies https://imgur.com/a/SanOP

RA615H-RA617H https://www.reddit.c...us_1517_from_a/

RA618H https://imgv2-1-f.sc.../1564654442?v=1

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 16 August 2019 - 18:00.

#4364 Roadhouse

Roadhouse

• 479 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 18:50

Of course, but it works differently when you're not a works team and have less shared responsibilities.

#4365 lio007

lio007

• 244 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 18:52

Honda and Red Bull are a good match. :up:

Of course, but Honda have been refreshingly open (as below), compared to the boring secrecy of Renault, Ferrari and Mercedes.

RA617H harvesting and motoring strategies https://imgur.com/a/SanOP

RA615H-RA617H https://www.reddit.c...us_1517_from_a/

RA618H https://imgv2-1-f.sc.../1564654442?v=1

I also don't get this hide and seek from Merc, Ren, Fer. I think it's quite hard to "steal" some secrets from pictures. I mean it's not like they have to show us piston design, cylinder head,...
But instead they should be proud of their technical masterpieces and show their products to the community.

#4366 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 4,813 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 21:09

The new Honda engine is expected at the next race? Grid penalties then anything from 5 to end of the grid? 

#4367 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 4,813 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 21:11

Still seems a wild stab to me. 0.15? Why not 0.3? Or even 0.5? 

Lap time comparison suggests 0.3 is the the most realistic (looking at the laps on tyres of similar age, with both needing to push and not too close to one another, delta then disappearing when running too close). 

Edited by beachdrifter, 16 August 2019 - 21:13.

#4368 Wolbo

Wolbo

• 8,950 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 13:00

The new Honda engine is expected at the next race? Grid penalties then anything from 5 to end of the grid? 

Probably Monza.

But this article suggests there may be another engine update at Sochi to prepare for Suzuka and in that case introducing an update at Monza means it will only do two races. So perhaps for that reason they may decide to go for a Spa update.

#4369 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,181 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 18:33

Probably Monza.

But this article suggests there may be another engine update at Sochi to prepare for Suzuka and in that case introducing an update at Monza means it will only do two races. So perhaps for that reason they may decide to go for a Spa update.

it is also for pooling engines, they seem to have a Suzuka delight in preparation. Don't be surpised Albon gets a fresh unit to 'test' for Verstappen in Spa and Verstappen gets one in Monza.

#4370 ArrowsLivery

ArrowsLivery

• 3,088 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 19:30

it is also for pooling engines, they seem to have a Suzuka delight in preparation. Don't be surpised Albon gets a fresh unit to 'test' for Verstappen in Spa and Verstappen gets one in Monza.

It’s hard to say. It’s easier to pass in Spa than in Monza, but RBR Honda might be the best package in Spa, so you don’t want to give up on a potential win for a PU change.

#4371 KevD

KevD

• 271 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 19:43

It’s hard to say. It’s easier to pass in Spa than in Monza, but RBR Honda might be the best package in Spa, so you don’t want to give up on a potential win for a PU change.

Depends. If a good result on Suzuka is of vital importance to keep Honda in F1 after 2020, then that should be priority if you ask me.

#4372 A3

A3

• 28,988 posts

Posted Today, 10:58

Interesting piece on test benches. It has Max hinting at having not enough engines to test when they were a Renault customer. Now with Honda they can test for longer (Honda provide more test engines) and that improves relibility of other parts as well.

https://www.auto-mot...verlaessigkeit/

Used google translate:

Max Verstappen reveals that indirectly the engine partner was also responsible for the damage in the chassis area. "Today we can drive much longer and more intensively on the test bench. This allows us to test all components in continuous load at the limit. "
The secret: Honda provides many more engines for test-bench trials, and they can be driven there with more power, ie under realistic conditions. "You also have a lot more test benches. In Japan, there are test facilities for all sorts of components, "reveals team boss Christian Horner.

#4373 Stephane

Stephane

• 2,080 posts

Posted Today, 11:02

That is a works team, clearly.

#4374 A3

A3

• 28,988 posts

Posted Today, 11:06

That is a works team, clearly.

Yeah but they already had the VTT test bench when they were a Renault customer. I guess it must have added to the frustration that they couldn't get enough Renault engines to test what they wanted to test.

#4375 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 5,469 posts

Posted Today, 12:24

Good points A3. 

When you think about it, it's quite remarkable how much more reliable RB has been this year regarding non-PU issues. 

Last year there were quite a few gearbox issues if I remember correctly, and also drive shaft issues etc. 

#4376 A3

A3

• 28,988 posts

Posted Today, 12:32

Yeah it’s amazing. They can just tell whoever is in the sim to extremely attack the kerbs over 10 laps at Spa for instance and they can record those 10 laps and just let the sim repeat it over and over again until parts break.

#4377 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,181 posts

Posted Today, 14:01

I reckon the only technical DNF from Gasly was when he scraped/hit a wall? He had a driveshaft failure, quite common on street tracks when some tail wiggling can do damage.