Photo
* * * * - 10 votes

Red Bull Racing Technical Thread (RB15)

• Please log in to reply
4511 replies to this topic

Poll: Will the VTEC kick in? (398 member(s) have cast votes)

Can they fight for the championship?

1. Yes (108 votes [27.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.14%

2. No (218 votes [54.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 54.77%

3. Don’t Know (72 votes [18.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#4501 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 8,114 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:45

Interesting, where did you read this?

This in Autosport article,

"The resultant rise in engine revs after Verstappen went over a kerb activated a Honda protection mode and an FIA system that Autosport understands relates to how the governing body ensures driver aids are not being used.

Versappen's power cut in no way implies that Red Bull or Honda are employing a traction control-style system, but a protection mode that reduces torque when a driver suffers too much wheelspin would partially replicate the phenomenon.

Honda's system caused the initial loss of power as it cut in to avoid excessive revving damaging the engine, triggering a torque reduction when Verstappen was at full throttle.

After this, the FIA system - which is the same for all teams - filtered the engine back to full power.

Traction control has been banned in F1 since 2008.

F1's technical regulations state that no car may be equipped with a system or device that is capable of preventing the wheels from spinning under power, or of compensating for excessive torque demand by the driver."

Advertisement

#4502 A3

A3

• 29,169 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:03

Horner and jos Verstappen said this.
I watched Max's onboard too, its ture. He did a 357kph in the race early on, then something happened with his engine, the rpm never exceed 12500 and he never went above 345kph again.

Yeah I posted this in the other thread:

I followed Max's onboard for a while. He had some engine issues where he said that right before braking for turn 1 the engine suddenly had more power. Team said they saw it on the data but had no solution. He also said that a couple of times the engine failed to pick up power after turn 2 and that the MGU was not recharging correctly. I guess Honda still has some work to do with the new spec.

Also, Perez was extremely quick out of the parabolica and on the straight. Even with DRS Max barely gained on him.

#4503 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 5,570 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:51

This in Autosport article,

"The resultant rise in engine revs after Verstappen went over a kerb activated a Honda protection mode and an FIA system that Autosport understands relates to how the governing body ensures driver aids are not being used.

Versappen's power cut in no way implies that Red Bull or Honda are employing a traction control-style system, but a protection mode that reduces torque when a driver suffers too much wheelspin would partially replicate the phenomenon.

Honda's system caused the initial loss of power as it cut in to avoid excessive revving damaging the engine, triggering a torque reduction when Verstappen was at full throttle.

After this, the FIA system - which is the same for all teams - filtered the engine back to full power.

Traction control has been banned in F1 since 2008.

F1's technical regulations state that no car may be equipped with a system or device that is capable of preventing the wheels from spinning under power, or of compensating for excessive torque demand by the driver."

Youre quoting the Qualifying issue which is well known.

My question relates to the rev limit during the race.

#4504 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 8,114 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:04

Youre quoting the Qualifying issue which is well known.

My question relates to the rev limit during the race.

Possibly the same issue though. There appears to be some covert system which is trying to replicate traction control whilst remaining within the rules.

#4505 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,375 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 14:21

Possibly the same issue though. There appears to be some covert system which is trying to replicate traction control whilst remaining within the rules.

I think it is an engine protection failsave and it activates when the wheel spins freely (when it is lifted up in the air) while under heavy acceleration. 

Edited by SenorSjon, 12 September 2019 - 14:21.

#4506 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 8,114 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 14:23

I think it is an engine protection failsave and it activates when the wheel spins freely (when it is lifted up in the air) while under heavy acceleration. 

That's so Mandy Rice-Davies.  ;)

#4507 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,375 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 14:31

Who?

#4508 grunf77

grunf77

• 249 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:16

Will we see  Suzuka special PU? :smoking:

#4509 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 5,570 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:33

In Qualifying the system kicked in after the first chicane and Verstappen lost acceleration. Why would the system kick in after Parabolica? And why would it limit revs at that specific rev number instead of cutting power like in Q?

Does not seem related based on the symptons.

#4510 jacdaniel

jacdaniel

• 61 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 09:39

The main issue to work on is the starts. I can’t recall a single good start this season, as in gaining a place.

#4511 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,375 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 09:53

At the back the others even had better starts. I still wonder how the McHonda had those blistering starts.

#4512 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 5,570 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:54

How are the starts of the TR's?