- - - - -

Paul Ricard new pit entry

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 inox

inox

• 340 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 08:43

Dangerous pit entry of Paul Ricard will be modified for 2019 F1 race by moving entry to the pits before last corner. I assume more changes are required but it will be interesting to see how they will fix it. Possible solutions are:

a) New flat bridge is built above the service road which then needs to be excavated deeper

b) New bumpy bridge is built above service road

c) Walkway is removed and pit entry road moved closer to edge of the current bridge

d) Straight is made narrower until pit entry

e) No other changes than entry road starts before last corner

Image source:  https://www.diariomo...a-la-formula-1/

paul-ricard-entrada-boxes_1440x655c.jpg

Advertisement

#2 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,503 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 08:52

I don't get what's so dangerous about it. It's slow and well off the racing line. But it is incredibly awkward, so I get why they'd want to move it back to before the last turn. I'm assuming they'll just add another bridge over the access road. Whatever they do it won't be as weird as the old pit lane overpass arrangement used when the track was first built. If people think Abu Dhabi's pit lane exit is ridiculous, they haven't seen the old Paul Ricard one.

Here you see Eddie Cheever leaving the pits via the intermediate exit, a silly hump back bridge that spat cars from the first half of the pit lane out half way down the straight. Underneath that bridge is the entrance to the second half of the pit lane, so cars using the second half of the pit lane would duck in and not have to use the main entrance.

Edit: Heres the Autosport report: https://www.autospor...er-safety-fears

Seems like a simpler and cheaper solution would be to shift the teams down a few garages. There are enough of them.

Edited by PayasYouRace, 26 January 2019 - 08:54.

#3 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,400 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 09:32

According to one report it's being done to benefit Mercedes - In reality, it is because, although relatively slow, cars are aiming straight at the first pit box, which in the dry is a bit iffy, but in the wet could be lethal...

#4 thegforcemaybewithyou

thegforcemaybewithyou

• 4,006 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 09:36

One interesting thing about the new pit entry cutting the last corner might be a reduction in the time loss connected with a stop. This could then encourage more stops and lead to less tyre saving.

#5 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,656 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 09:51

Are they doing anything about the pit exit? Because IIRC it was also a bit of an issue...

#6 inox

inox

• 340 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 10:11

Are they doing anything about the pit exit? Because IIRC it was also a bit of an issue...

No, that just adds excitement to the race. Assumingly not as serious as wiping the full pit crew out.

#7 inox

inox

• 340 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 10:24

Changes are also meant to avoid this: https://www.youtube....f8mMMfAkk&t=15s

#8 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 17:11

If awkwardness were a problem, that pit exit tunnel at Abu Dhabi should be demolished.

#9 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,503 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 17:21

Changes are also meant to avoid this: https://www.youtube....f8mMMfAkk&t=15s

Surely that can happen just about anywhere?

#10 Kalmake

Kalmake

• 4,492 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 17:52

According to one report it's being done to benefit Mercedes - In reality, it is because, although relatively slow, cars are aiming straight at the first pit box, which in the dry is a bit iffy, but in the wet could be lethal...

If that's a problem, there seems to be enough garages that the first ones don't need to be used at all.

The entry creates quite a speed difference on track. It's also possible to crash from the straight into the gap.

It's outdated design, but also by cars reaching higher speeds by the entry.

#11 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,996 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 19:29

At any time if a driver decides to enter the pit too late, yes. So I agree that it can happen anywhere.

#12 inox

inox

• 340 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 10:42

For sure. But it is of course more likely to happen when entering the pits requires:

1) Crossing the track

2) Reducing speed while others are accelerating

By moving the entry before last corner they are now fixing both problems.

#13 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,503 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 10:43

For sure. But it is of course more likely to happen when entering the pits requires:

1) Crossing the track

2) Reducing speed while others are accelerating

By moving the entry before last corner they are now fixing both problems.

So that's just about every pit lane ever.

#14 inox

inox

• 340 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 11:01

So that's just about every pit lane ever.

I'm not sure if I understood your point. Anyway, after the change, the entry to the pits will be:

1) Next to the racing line (no track crossing required)

2) On the general braking zone (cars staying on the circuit will be braking too => no major speed differences to the car entering the pits)

Surely this is a safer option?

#15 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,503 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 11:07

I'm not sure if I understood your point. Anyway, after the change, the entry to the pits will be:

1) Next to the racing line (no track crossing required)

2) On the general braking zone (cars staying on the circuit will be braking too => no major speed differences to the car entering the pits)

Surely this is a safer option?

Having the pit entry well away the racing line the safest option. But you can't account for idiots like that rider in your video who try to swerve into the pits at the last minute without looking (crossing the white line which the other rider didn't do by the way) whatever the configuration. 

The reports have been quite clear that it's the tight turn in front of the garages that is the concern.

#16 Peat

Peat

• 8,862 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 13:09

Needn't waste any money on civil engineering. There is alot of space on that bridge taken up with just paint!

Make the wall the edge of the track on the far side. Make the pit entry come off the track in that last 2 corner complex and if you really want a separating wall, get rid of the service road part and move that further back where it can just be a manned crossing of the road at normal height.

#17 inox

inox

• 340 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 21:14

https://fr.motorspor...tellet/4328222/

If I understand the google translation of above French article correctly, project has been started to improve also pit exit, but it is not stated if that happens for this years race.

Also, I got the impression from translation that changes made to the pit entry will also improve visibility from stands around the bridge area to the last sequence of turns. I suppose that would require building a new bridge over the access road.

#18 azza200

azza200

• 999 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 21:23

Needn't waste any money on civil engineering. There is alot of space on that bridge taken up with just paint!

:rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:

#19 Beri

Beri

• 11,640 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 21:59

I don't get what's so dangerous about it. It's slow and well off the racing line. But it is incredibly awkward, so I get why they'd want to move it back to before the last turn. I'm assuming they'll just add another bridge over the access road. Whatever they do it won't be as weird as the old pit lane overpass arrangement used when the track was first built. If people think Abu Dhabi's pit lane exit is ridiculous, they haven't seen the old Paul Ricard one.

https://www.youtube....h?v=l2joC7EBllc

Here you see Eddie Cheever leaving the pits via the intermediate exit, a silly hump back bridge that spat cars from the first half of the pit lane out half way down the straight. Underneath that bridge is the entrance to the second half of the pit lane, so cars using the second half of the pit lane would duck in and not have to use the main entrance.

Edit: Heres the Autosport report: https://www.autospor...er-safety-fears

Seems like a simpler and cheaper solution would be to shift the teams down a few garages. There are enough of them.

That is one ludicrous pitlane.. first time I've seen this.

Advertisement

#20 ANF

ANF

• 29,519 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 10:59

Here's the new pit entry:

prpit.jpg

#21 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,682 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 11:36

This should make pit-lane loss quite short

#22 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 11:43

yeah, maybe they'll have to cancel fastest laps that go to the pits. I think this is an existing problem for silverstone? 

#23 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,682 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 11:47

yeah, maybe they'll have to cancel fastest laps that go to the pits. I think this is an existing problem for silverstone?

Start/Finish line is quite far down the pit straight, so FLs won’t be affected.

I’m rethinking my original statement, the pit limiter line is quite early.

#24 thegforcemaybewithyou

thegforcemaybewithyou

• 4,006 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 11:53

This is how the pit exit at Bahrain should look like, they have the space that would be needed there.

#25 Bleu

Bleu

• 6,257 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 16:51

Last year Paul Ricard was one of four circuits where timing line was after the pits. Others were Melbourne, Monaco and Montreal. 

#26 inox

inox

• 340 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 10:39

More pics and info:
http://www.dailyspor...ck-notes-3.html

It does look like they have managed to squeeze the pit entry on the existing narrow bridge.

The pit exit is now even longer. There will be super fast speeds on a very narrow path.

#27 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,503 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 11:57

The way you described the exit you made it sound line a dangerous narrow strip. It’s just a lane parallel to the track so exiting cars are better matched in speed when they blend into traffic.

#28 inox

inox

• 340 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 12:13

The way you described the exit you made it sound line a dangerous narrow strip. It’s just a lane parallel to the track so exiting cars are better matched in speed when they blend into traffic.

Yes. My initial impression was that it would be narrower and faster than it actually is.

Picture 1. The new exit

ELMS-Paul-Ricard-Pit-Out-2019-.jpg

Image source: http://www.dailyspor...ck-notes-3.html

Picture 2. The old exit

64069978c18a688cf8f5f3ece19f9145.JPG

Image source: https://wtf1.com/pos...erous-pit-lane/

In the Picture 1 the exit looks narrow, but on the Picture 2 taken from 2018 French GP it looks much wider. In fact, the blue divider has been made thinner now so the new part is even wider than than shown in last years pic. The new "pif paf" return route back to track is roughly where the red gorilla stands.

Originally I also though that pit lane speed limit area stops immediately after the main paddock area ends. But now that I've re-checked this, it appears the speed limit runs all the way to the end of yellow concrete wall (between the pits and track). Ricard has extremely long pit lane and if they could have nailed the floor immediately after the main pit building ends, the cars would have arrived to new lengthened exit section with very high speeds. From the looks of things the surface between old and new section isn't particularly smooth, so during a wet race (which for sure is not typical at Ricard :-) there could have been some issues.

Anyway, to get the good impression on how long the pit lane now is, please check e.g. via Google Earth.

#29 inox

inox

• 340 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 12:49

Well, maybe Ricard's new pit lane is not so long after all. Should be in the region of 800 meters. Sochi has over 1000 meters and Silverstone and Abu Dhabi have also longer ones than in Ricard.

#30 Kalmake

Kalmake

• 4,492 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 13:21

Other series can have the speed limit zone shorter than it was in that event.

#31 inox

inox

• 340 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 18:24

Other series can have the speed limit zone shorter than it was in that event.

True. In fact during the 2018 F1 race, the speed limit zone ended about 100 m before the end of pit wall. This can be seen in lap 26 of the race, when Verstappen speeds out of the pits.

#32 chdphd

chdphd

• 2,802 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 18:49

That gorilla gets around. I saw it in Courchevel a couple of weeks ago :D

40641002033_92e05d1dfc_c.jpgWild Kong

Edited by chdphd, 23 April 2019 - 18:50.

#33 Pingguest

Pingguest

• 942 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 19:09

Speaking about Paul Ricard, will they continue to use the chicane at the Mulsanne Straight?

#34 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,503 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 19:18

Speaking about Paul Ricard, will they continue to use the chicane at the Mulsanne Straight?

Probably, though I remember there being a desire to remove it last year.

#35 7MGTEsup

7MGTEsup

• 2,476 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 10:19

I think you mean Mistral straight. Although a chicaineless Mulsanne would also be good.

#36 inox

inox

• 340 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 17:45

They will keep the chicane. At least for now. Organizers like it because its good for spectators. Removing chicane would not be a problem for Signes turn, as the run off area is large enough. However, narrowing barriers after the chicane area cause a real problem. Organizers would need to make sure no one ends up hitting these at 350 kph.

#37 Beri

Beri

• 11,640 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:43

Not only that Inox. The chicane proved to be a good overtaking point. Why removing something which is good?

#38 inox

inox

• 340 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 16:33

I agree Beri. While for historical reasons it would be nice to have full Mistral straight, that wouldn't make racing any better.

I loved how they used to weave in the Mistral straight to prevent following cars from getting a tow. But actual overtakes during the straight were surprisingly rare. Do we actually have any video evidence of overtaking taking place during the full Mistral straight at F1 race?

#39 Beri

Beri

• 11,640 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 16:59

I've looked on YT, but couldn't find any. Aside from some in-game overtakes.

Advertisement

#40 ANF

ANF

• 29,519 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 23:30

#41 alonstar

alonstar

• 230 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 10:56

Not the full straight