* * * * * 1 votes

Helmets 2019

• Please log in to reply
627 replies to this topic

#151 Stephane

Stephane

• 2,146 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 08:39

Well, he'll want us to buy his products, at some point.

Advertisement

#152 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

• 6,749 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 08:47

I don’t think a handful of race fanatics discussing helmet design on a motorsport forum are a priority target group for Red Bull anyway.

#153 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

• 6,749 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 08:51

If Dieter wants a mess of helmets, be my guest, I am just happy my favourite driver will never have to wear one.

Lewis’ helmet is not a mess? Full of ads of Monster energy drinks, Petronas, Epson and a big Merc star. Don’t really see the big difference.

Edited by Ivanhoe, 07 February 2019 - 08:52.

#154 CL16

CL16

• 1,076 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 09:16

Lewis’ helmet is not a mess? Full of ads of Monster energy drinks, Petronas, Epson and a big Merc star. Don’t really see the big difference.

I think the fact it’s not 80% of Hamilton’s helmet helps. Unlike any of the red bull drivers.

#155 Taxi

Taxi

• 3,816 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 09:37

In fact if i was a red bull  driver I would just paint the whole thing black around the logo and get on with it.  These drivers have an impossible task to make their helmets barely recognizable.  :down:

#156 A3

A3

• 29,177 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 10:00

In fact if i was a red bull  driver I would just paint the whole thing black around the logo and get on with it.  These drivers have an impossible task to make their helmets barely recognizable.  :down:

I don't think the drivers will lose any sleep over it. It's a small concession. I mean, Max will be receiving an Aston Martin Valkyrie soon, I doubt he cares that much about the Red Bull logos. :drunk:

#157 Stephane

Stephane

• 2,146 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 10:06

Like this ?

f1-australian-gp-2005-red-bull-racing-ph

#158 Taxi

Taxi

• 3,816 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 10:15

No, Just plain black. 

#159 Burai

Burai

• 1,467 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 10:39

Well, if we take this thread, probably 130 of the 145 posts so far have been criticizing the brand, so at least within this somewhat niched environment, the strategy isn't working particularly well.

To put that into context, Red Bull sold nearly 7 billion cans of their disgusting drink last year, so I suspect this thread is not going to be high on the list of things that dictate their marketing strategy in the future.

That's not to say that peoples' gripes aren't entirely genuine (I agree that it's a shame the drivers can't have full control over their designs), we just need to have some context here. Red Bull is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, marketing success stories of the last 30 years. They know what works.

Advertisement

#160 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 2,896 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 10:58

Hamilton's best helmet design was the one he had in F3/GP2.

His first F1 one was messy but tolerable but it's got worse almost every single year.

#161 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 5,579 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 11:02

His first F1 one was messy but tolerable but it's got worse almost every single year.

Agreed. Hamilton's is one of the very worst on the grid.

Grotesque. 

#162 P123

P123

• 15,922 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 11:02

That's because he has the same lid designer as the majority of the grid, who definitely doesn't go my the mantra of less is more...! Much like the RB logos though, there is not much that can be done with that thick band of Monster branding.

#163 VladimirBrown

VladimirBrown

• 191 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 11:03

I'd just paste every square inch that isn't taken by Red Bull with logos from competing energy drinks.

#164 VladimirBrown

VladimirBrown

• 191 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 12:38

To put that into context, Red Bull sold nearly 7 billion cans of their disgusting drink last year, so I suspect this thread is not going to be high on the list of things that dictate their marketing strategy in the future.

That's not to say that peoples' gripes aren't entirely genuine (I agree that it's a shame the drivers can't have full control over their designs), we just need to have some context here. Red Bull is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, marketing success stories of the last 30 years. They know what works.

Can't argue there. That's why I specified we are a really specific niche, a drop in the ocean.

Can't really argue with that, but my point is that this thread is to discuss and voice our opinions on what we find aesthetically pleasing or not regarding F1 helmets, not to argue whether the branding strategy used by this or that team is efficient or not. If we go down that road, then you could also say that Grosjean makes a heck of a lot more money than we do, so who are we to say that we think his helmet design is a piece of crap?

#165 Burai

Burai

• 1,467 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 15:55

Can't argue there. That's why I specified we are a really specific niche, a drop in the ocean.

Can't really argue with that, but my point is that this thread is to discuss and voice our opinions on what we find aesthetically pleasing or not regarding F1 helmets, not to argue whether the branding strategy used by this or that team is efficient or not. If we go down that road, then you could also say that Grosjean makes a heck of a lot more money than we do, so who are we to say that we think his helmet design is a piece of crap?

A number of posters, not including you, were saying that Red Bull/Mateschitz doesn't understand what they're doing. That was the point I was responding to.

Also, your Grosjean analogy doesn't work as his income doesn't come from a product being advertised by his design.

#166 VladimirBrown

VladimirBrown

• 191 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 19:01

A number of posters, not including you, were saying that Red Bull/Mateschitz doesn't understand what they're doing. That was the point I was responding to.

Also, your Grosjean analogy doesn't work as his income doesn't come from a product being advertised by his design.

Some of it does:

mwo%2C210x210%2Csamsung_galaxy_s5_skin-p

#167 noriaki

noriaki

• 1,197 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 20:46

Appeal to authority anyone? Red Bull is no error-free organization. 

Red Bull became the #1 energy drink in the world, because they understood extreme sports and because it was a good product to market. 

Their entry to more "conventional" sports during the last 15 years has been less successful, though. Red Bull don't really seem to know what to do with marketing ice hockey or WRC for one example, and especially their entry to football has been a marketing disaster when you factor in the money they have spent. Dietrich has antagonized more or less the entire football fanbase because he didn't understand one thing. The thing is that while people all over the world would happily buy a Real Madrid or Chelsea shirt that says things like "Qatar" or "Gazprom". And they would buy those kits if they said Red Bull too. But when a company touches the colours, and especially the names of the clubs, football fans soon will get pretty damn touchy about it. 

Mateschitz could have sponsored football like anyone else. With the money he invests he could easily have gotten someone like Ronaldo as the face of Red Bull's marketing, without really antagonizing anybody in the process. But Mateschitz didn't understand football fans and took that step of "over" branding his team names and uniforms, creating "new" teams fully branded in Red Bull. So now he's spending billions in the 3 teams he owns and those teams are all the most hated in their respective countries, with widespread boycotts of Red Bull the company in Germany due to that. No one (outside of the locals who have to bite their lips) would in a million years buy a kit of RB Leipzig, RB NY or RB Salzburg. 

I would say you could associate the unpopularity in football with the criticism over them plastering the helmets with their colours - although admittedly it's less of a big deal so no one cares in the end. But still, I would argue that it would be better PR for Red Bull to stick to colouring the car but allow their drivers choose the helmet designs freely. While F1 fans have traditionally been very open to seeing sponsorship on the cars themselves (in fact most genuinely like to see sponsorship!), they also don't like seeing sponsorship on the helmets because that's, traditionally, the one area on the car that "belonged" to the driver. So RB are getting criticism over that. 

The amount of cans they are selling now isn't representative over the success of their marketing strategy today. Red Bull became the market leaders in energy drinks (much like Coca Cola in sodas), so they got their products in every shop all over the world. That is the *main* reason for their brand recognition and sales, not the marketing they do today. They could commit some sizeable PR disasters and it could hardly reduce their sales any longer.

So the point is that it's absolutely not like RB or Dietrich's vision for marketing cannot be criticized.

#168 BalanceUT

BalanceUT

• 1,977 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 22:15

Funny that Gasly looks more like the orange theme Verstappen had. I still don't know why he doesn't use his 2017 Spa design for the whole season. 

max-verstappen-helmet-spa-2017-3.jpg

But I guess the RB brass doesn't like their logo to be so out of sight.

That is a nice look. 

#169 BalanceUT

BalanceUT

• 1,977 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 03:06

The lighting seems off in that video, tried to compensate for that:

YTEXTUS.png?1

Wonder if this suggests a predominantly white Red Bull car? Marking a change from Renault to Honda? 

#170 A3

A3

• 29,177 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 10:52

Studio photos of Verstappen's and Gasly's helmuts:

https://redbullracin...lery/put-lid-it

Edited by A3, 08 February 2019 - 10:53.

#171 VladimirBrown

VladimirBrown

• 191 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 11:03

Wonder if this suggests a predominantly white Red Bull car? Marking a change from Renault to Honda? 

From the MASSIVE EXPOSURE they're giving the Honda logo on the helmet, I wouldn't count on it.

#172 Beri

Beri

• 1,479 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 11:32

From the MASSIVE EXPOSURE they're giving the Honda logo on the helmet, I wouldn't count on it.

Wasnt it the issue with Renno that hey felt they didnt get enough credits/exposure during the successfull Red Bull campaigns of 2010 onwards?
I believe Ferrari didnt get much exposure either.

Honda could prove to be a tad different, the Honda red and white/grey stripe is there on the 2019 racing suits (collar). So my educated guess would be that there will be some sort of acknowledgement to Honda. But not massively like some of you expect.

#173 Jbleroi

Jbleroi

• 925 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 23:08

We will see some white on the bulls... new chapter new colors,

#174 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 7,930 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 23:48

Looks & pretty good & distinctive in action!

Verstappen-Kart-Red-Bull-2019.jpg

Edited by thegamer23, 08 February 2019 - 23:50.

#175 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,193 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 00:06

I've not seen a really good helmet design for years now, yes part of that might be because I'm a miserable old git, or that I was around during the era when F1 drivers had really amazing and distinctive designs but these days it seems like the same person is doing all the helmets as they all seem to have the same garbage, mainly those vile spikes and stupid lines all over the place.

Helmet designers please take note: less is more

#176 A3

A3

• 29,177 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 07:10

Can people please stop with this.

If you haven’t noticed, the Beatles are no longer topping the charts. Times change, so do people’s taste.

#177 Ralf Pickel

Ralf Pickel

• 559 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 08:24

Taste ? :drunk:

#178 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 2,199 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 09:02

Mainstream music is getting shi*tier and shi*tier :p  so is "mainstream" car design, motorcycle design etc. (and I'm not exactly an old person, Hamilton is two years older than me)
Too many designers nowadays do not know how to reinvent/update/change a deign, they just keep adding details and details and making the designs busier and busier...
"simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" like Da Vinci once said. 
Some of the young drivers, like Nasr, Bottas, Ericcson (and Hulkenberg, Kvyat, Gasly, Giovinazzi) have/had simple and distinctive helmets, not necessarily jaw dropping (that depends on your taste) but distinctive.
Some of them might look too vintage/retro/old fashioned (not necessarily a bad thing) but some are good blends of retro/simple and modern. 

f1-fel10.jpg

valtte10.jpg

f1-20110.jpg

I've not seen a really good helmet design for years now, yes part of that might be because I'm a miserable old git, or that I was around during the era when F1 drivers had really amazing and distinctive designs but these days it seems like the same person is doing all the helmets as they all seem to have the same garbage, mainly those vile spikes and stupid lines all over the place.

Edited by Alburaq, 09 February 2019 - 09:21.

#179 GiorgioF1

GiorgioF1

• 735 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 13:14

DzIE6OZW0AA8Mzv.jpg

DzIH-u2WsAINdNo.jpg

Edited by GiorgioF1, 11 February 2019 - 13:27.

Advertisement

#180 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 5,579 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 13:15

I’m assuming a load of sponsors will be dumped on that? Shame, pretty nice otherwise !

#181 CL16

CL16

• 1,076 posts

Optimus Prime?

#182 WilliamsF1Fan

WilliamsF1Fan

• 1,174 posts

Not bad for a Red Bull lid.

#183 Spillage

Spillage

• 5,815 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 13:18

I like that. Simple and distinctive.

#184 GiorgioF1

GiorgioF1

• 735 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 13:20

m2ZFuHT.jpg

#185 phrank

phrank

• 1,163 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 13:25

Kvyat's helmet is the best yet!

#186 WilliamsF1Fan

WilliamsF1Fan

• 1,174 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 13:27

Albon's has those little fashionable flicks that many loathe, but the colour scheme is at least distinctive.  

#187 Anja

Anja

• 4,140 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 13:29

Kvyat's is nice and simple, sure, but I can't be impressed by "just paint it in the colours of the car". 

#188 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

• 6,749 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 13:30

Kvyat's is nice and simple, sure, but I can't be impressed by "just paint it in the colours of the car".

Maybe it’s more a reference to the Russian flag

Edited by Ivanhoe, 11 February 2019 - 13:30.

#189 Anja

Anja

• 4,140 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 13:38

Maybe it’s more a reference to the Russian flag

Using precisely the shades taken from the car livery?

#190 VladimirBrown

VladimirBrown

• 191 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 15:13

m2ZFuHT.jpg

Oh boy.

#191 VladimirBrown

VladimirBrown

• 191 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 15:39

DzIE6OZW0AA8Mzv.jpg

DzIH-u2WsAINdNo.jpg

I kind of got an Al Unser Jr. vibe on this one.

#192 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 7,930 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 15:43

Those two helmets are pretty good & recognizable, good job by the Toro boys  :up:

Edited by thegamer23, 11 February 2019 - 15:43.

#193 A3

A3

• 29,177 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 15:47

Well, well, the only design many people like is a helmet without any sponsor logos beside the Red Bull one. What a surprise.

F1 is a business, if you didn’t know yet. Most drivers simple can’t choose a design they like because of the sponsors.

How Kvyat can do without, I don’t know.

Edited by A3, 11 February 2019 - 17:04.

#194 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 2,896 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 16:05

Well, we’ll, the only design many people like is a helmet without any sponsor logos beside the Red Bull one. What a surprise.

F1 is a business, if you didn’t know yet. Most drivers simple can’t choose a design they like because of the sponsors.

How Kvyat can do without, I don’t know.

I know you're sensitive on the helmet issue because Verstappen's has been criticised, but most drivers could come up with simple bold designs and apply sponsors to it.

David Coulthard's Red Bull helmet was still essentially his own simple bold design, the Kyvat one above is fine.

Sponsors don't mean a need for all this speed flash line nonsense!

#195 Gintonious

Gintonious

• 1,576 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 16:10

DzIE6OZW0AA8Mzv.jpg

DzIH-u2WsAINdNo.jpg

Early contender for the best design of the season. Love this.

#196 Knowlesy

Knowlesy

• 3,841 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 16:10

It is fantastic, even with the huge Red Bull logos.

#197 CL16

CL16

• 1,076 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 16:12

Not to mention Verstappen changing his design season after season doesn’t exactly give him much of a memorable “ah that a Max helmet” stamp.

#198 Beri

Beri

• 1,479 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 16:14

DzIE6OZW0AA8Mzv.jpg

DzIH-u2WsAINdNo.jpg

Best looking helmet since.. well.. a looooooooonggg time

#199 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 668 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 16:24

I always loved Ralf Schumachers helmet

Advertisement

#200 Dratini

Dratini

• 1,532 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 16:31

Using precisely the shades taken from the car livery?

Two birds, one stone.