* * * * * 2 votes

Williams FW42 (She's a mover!)

• Please log in to reply
896 replies to this topic

#851 Gemini

Gemini

• 3,608 posts

Posted Yesterday, 18:21

and do what you're paid to do and stop complaigning..

So you don't even know who is paying who in this relationship? :cool:

Advertisement

#852 Paco

Paco

• 2,192 posts

Posted Yesterday, 18:26

So you don't even know who is paying who in this relationship? :cool:

LOL

#853 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 4,649 posts

Posted Yesterday, 18:26

Guys, one person has an issue with RK's comments from what I can see. Right? Or two? Let's just leave this.

#854 Paco

Paco

• 2,192 posts

Posted Yesterday, 18:28

Those are nothing comments. Why are we even discussing it? 

Slow news period.. very little from the 1st week of testing to get into deeply.  That said, anyone know if Williams parts arrived today and if they ran with their diffuser?  Anyone see anything significantly different on the car then their installation laps yesterday?

Edited by Paco, Yesterday, 18:29.

#855 Domi

Domi

• 1,768 posts

Posted Yesterday, 18:56

hopefully car will be completed 100% before next test session

#856 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 437 posts

Posted Yesterday, 19:27

hopefully car will be completed 100% before next season

Fixed that for you 👀😁

Edited by FirstnameLastname, Yesterday, 19:28.

#857 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 2,771 posts

Posted Yesterday, 19:56

"It's not right that I talk about them, as I said before I'm here for driving, so I have to concentrate on this.

"Finally I have a car, so hopefully next week we can concentrate on preparing better for the first race, because it's close."

FINALLY.. it's not  HIS place in my opinion to make bad comments like Finally.. just freaking get behind the wheel and do what you're paid to do and stop complaigning..

"It doesn't feel like day four of testing, it felt like day one," he said.

Of course it doesn't .. it's barely day one.. Why slag the team and your opportunity for such a ridiculous comment.  Simply stating its' day 1 and long way to go and parts coming all the time so we'll get better.

"I've been here since last Friday. I've never waited so long to get 12-14 laps, that I could drive my own pace."

Oh booo hooo Robert.  You've never waitied so long.. poor guy. :wave:

Something with a mirror.

#858 Domi

Domi

• 1,768 posts

Posted Yesterday, 19:58

So... Kubica and Russell said that car was not 100% complete yet, and Lowe said it was complete today. hmmmm 

#859 WilliamsF1Fan

WilliamsF1Fan

• 1,026 posts

Posted Yesterday, 20:45

This thread has become a surreal place indeed.  I thought it was about the FW42, which is a car, unless I am very much mistaken.  The car was on track today after great work by the engineers who built it and thankfully both drivers kept it on the tarmac.  All in all I think it was a hugely positive day and a half after the troubles that the team faced before.  

Advertisement

#860 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

• 2,191 posts

Posted Yesterday, 21:00

Anyway any comments from Russell ?

“It's been quite annoying watching everybody on track and obviously as a driver, you just want to get out there.  I’ve understood how much work has been going on from all of the people building this car, it hasn't made me frustrated because I understand that we haven't got in this situation on purpose.

"Everybody is upset about it and they're working their socks off to make it right, so that was refreshing for me and made me quite proud of the guys, of how much they're working. They've been up since [on Wednesday] 2:30 in the morning working all through the night to make the car ready and it’s a privilege to be a part of this team.”

“It felt quite nice to be honest. It felt stable and I had a good feeling from it. But there's counter-arguments, because at the moment, I'm still not fully on the limit, still don't know the limits of the car.

“Until I fully wring everything out of it, it's going to be difficult to know where we’re at and the full limitations, or where we need to improve. It's definitely not in its full state; we've got some work to do just to optimise everything because it was all last minute, things weren't 100% and it was just a matter of trying to get the car on-track by whatever means possible really. That was important enough in itself, but I think we just really needed to work hard over the weekend to make sure we hit the ground running on Tuesday [next week] and try and rack some miles up.”

#861 Juanto

Juanto

• 137 posts

Posted Yesterday, 21:01

Who is driving in next session?

Edited by Juanto, Yesterday, 21:01.

#862 Sixpounder

Sixpounder

• 49 posts

Posted Yesterday, 21:06

For the sake of hard working guys from Grove we should at least give the team a little credit of trust. Often I am first to moan or panic. This time the background situation stopped me from jumping to conclusions too early. I had bad feelings about those almost three lost days, as most of you probably. But let them work and chase the rest of grid. There is nothing else to do.

Edited by PayasYouRace, Yesterday, 21:20.
Let's cut out the personal attacks guys.

#863 thuGG

thuGG

• 2,034 posts

Posted Yesterday, 21:11

Two pages after, LOL at Paco.

#864 weareracing

weareracing

• 977 posts

Posted Yesterday, 21:16

For the sake of hard working guys from Grove we should at least give the team a little credit of trust. Often I am first to moan or panic. This time the background situation stopped me from jumping to conclusions too early. I had bad feelings about those almost three lost days, as most of you probably. But let them work and chase the rest of grid. There is nothing else to do.

On reading the comments today from George and Robert, BOTH have gone out of their way to praise and thank the team for their amazing efforts to get the car on track so quickly yesterday. :up:

Edited by PayasYouRace, Yesterday, 21:20.

#865 empe

empe

• 166 posts

Posted Yesterday, 21:17

shouldn't this be a thread for discussing the car, not drivers?
so sick and tired of stupid Kubica comments by forum crazies here.

#866 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 16,362 posts

Posted Yesterday, 21:21

Come on guys.

It's one thing to point out that someone has said something ridiculous, but it's possible to do so without making personal attacks.

I've even removed my own post because I felt it was a bit close to the mark.

Edited by PayasYouRace, Yesterday, 21:23.

#867 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 2,771 posts

Posted Yesterday, 21:22

Can they now do the film day on Monday? That would give 100 miles/laps? (don't remember) that could be great warm-up for 2nd test week.

#868 Domi

Domi

• 1,768 posts

Posted Yesterday, 21:26

they are propably doing filming day tomorrow, but not sure

#869 bargeboard

bargeboard

• 91 posts

Posted Yesterday, 21:44

Better than I had expected, to be honest. Nothing spectacular, but also not a complete shitshow.

#870 pdac

pdac

• 6,874 posts

Posted Yesterday, 21:45

It is ridiculous to talk about firing or even reprimanding RK for his comments, but he's not doing himself any favours by making such comments.

He should take a leaf out of Hamilton's book. Regardless of what happens, he always has time to praise the "guys back at the factory". The point is that he knows that even if they present him with a dog of a car, they have worked 100% and beyond to get him that car and would be a worse dog if they had not.

Same here. What's more, give them praise for their efforts and they'll happily do the same again in the future. Make out the whole team has let you down and that team is not going to go out of their way to get you out of trouble in the future.

#871 Francesc

Francesc

• 3,197 posts

Posted Yesterday, 21:54

I'm eager to see this car being pushed to the limit. The wheelbase seems quit a bit shorter than any other car on the grid. The wings look very basic, so there's room for improvements.

#872 danmills

danmills

• 859 posts

Posted Yesterday, 22:45

I am amused by the mindset that something simple looking not being good enough.

Ever tried eating dinner with a 30 piece Swiss army knife?

Now compare to the humble spoon, barely changed in what, 2000+ years?

Complex isn't always necessarily better.

#873 pdac

pdac

• 6,874 posts

Posted Yesterday, 23:27

I think it's about comparing it to what everyone else has. If almost everyone in the world were using a Swiss army knife to eat their dinner, then most would be wary of how good a spoon might be as an alternative.

#874 Topsu

Topsu

• 1,449 posts

Posted Yesterday, 23:49

Worst analogy I have ever seen.

#875 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,160 posts

Posted Today, 07:34

So filming day today

#876 MaGiK

MaGiK

• 518 posts

Posted Today, 07:45

So it looks like we have some extra milage during filming day:-)

#877 thuGG

thuGG

• 2,034 posts

Posted Today, 08:08

It is ridiculous to talk about firing or even reprimanding RK for his comments, but he's not doing himself any favours by making such comments.

He should take a leaf out of Hamilton's book. Regardless of what happens, he always has time to praise the "guys back at the factory". The point is that he knows that even if they present him with a dog of a car, they have worked 100% and beyond to get him that car and would be a worse dog if they had not.

Same here. What's more, give them praise for their efforts and they'll happily do the same again in the future. Make out the whole team has let you down and that team is not going to go out of their way to get you out of trouble in the future.

You mean like that?:

"Robert Kubica praised how quickly his Williams crew completed building the team’s FW42 chassis after it was hit by delays."

“We have what we have and I think still the team did the good job to bring and to build up the car in probably five times shorter time than normally should be. So we have to have big respect."

https://www.racefans...ker-than-usual/

#878 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 4,649 posts

Posted Today, 08:41

Yeah so back on topic... I wonder if the filming day can move their testing program forward. I would assume system checks are already done?

#879 Quickshifter

Quickshifter

• 4,001 posts

Posted Today, 09:05

Yeah so back on topic... I wonder if the filming day can move their testing program forward. I would assume system checks are already done?

There are plenty of stuff to check and recheck on newly built cars.  Even to identify everything is screwed together the way they intended to requires signficant running. I think today will be a big help for them so that they can come to the next test much prepared.

Advertisement

#880 djr900

djr900

• 50 posts

Posted Today, 09:18

He should take a leaf out of Hamilton's book. Regardless of what happens, he always has time to praise the "guys back at the factory".

Only when he is winning and everything is going his way.

Hamilton did plenty of moaning when he had more breakdowns than Rosberg a few years ago. 

Even trying to say it was suspicious 

#881 GiorgioF1

GiorgioF1

• 561 posts

Posted Today, 10:16

"Former Williams driver Sergey Sirotkin told Russia's Championat: "When I was in the simulator, the (2019) car was two seconds slower (than the 2018 car)."

Is this Benson's source about the FW42 being 2s slower than the FW41? :lol:

#882 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 7,131 posts

Posted Today, 10:23

I think the discussion about RK comments so I will just say some of you guys must have heard it way differently than I did - he obviously wasn't pleased about lost time but he seemed quite positive in the SKY interview, I have no idea where do the "he is undermining the team" comments come from, he was talking about what would be good for "us" etc, he was his usual no-BS self. In other words, I declare this issue as "fake news".

Regarding the car, he said that out of the laps he did about 12 was "actually driving" so I don't think we can actually tell anything from the lap times. The car very well maybe as slow as last year or be in midfield after all the parts come in and they do some proper pace-oriented work.

#883 vas04614

vas04614

• 548 posts

Posted Today, 10:26

"Former Williams driver Sergey Sirotkin told Russia's Championat: "When I was in the simulator, the (2019) car was two seconds slower (than the 2018 car)."

It's said by other teams also. Perez said that car felt worse in simulator but was good out on track while testing. We have to hear what drivers say once they drive full car(not compromised) in second test

#884 pdac

pdac

• 6,874 posts

Posted Today, 11:11

You mean like that?:

"Robert Kubica praised how quickly his Williams crew completed building the team’s FW42 chassis after it was hit by delays."

“We have what we have and I think still the team did the good job to bring and to build up the car in probably five times shorter time than normally should be. So we have to have big respect."

https://www.racefans...ker-than-usual/

Yes. Thanks for correcting me on this.

I would, however, say that he could have done without starting the statement with "we have what we have". And it doesn't sound too enthusiastic - he could have used something much more positive than "good" (maybe "fantastic") but, I guess, English is not his mother tongue.

#885 pdac

pdac

• 6,874 posts

Posted Today, 11:14

Only when he is winning and everything is going his way.

Hamilton did plenty of moaning when he had more breakdowns than Rosberg a few years ago. 

Even trying to say it was suspicious 

Maybe I have a selective memory, but I don't remember him saying anything negative about the staff at the factory. He sometimes has blamed his equipment and he's sometimes said that "we" (or maybe even "the team") need to improve. But I can only ever remember praise for the factory staff.

#886 Gemini

Gemini

• 3,608 posts

Posted Today, 11:24

Yes. Thanks for correcting me on this.

I would, however, say that he could have done without starting the statement with "we have what we have". And it doesn't sound too enthusiastic - he could have used something much more positive than "good" (maybe "fantastic") but, I guess, English is not his mother tongue.

I read from above that you are missing classical PR bull**** element that is a must have part of 90% of F1 cummunication. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

#887 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,189 posts

Posted Today, 11:28

I'm eager to see this car being pushed to the limit. The wheelbase seems quit a bit shorter than any other car on the grid. 

So they are sticking with their 2018 high rake philosophy?  The same philosophy that was a total disaster? That is a bit alarming.

I think Williams should have stuck with a low drag philosophy, that had served them well.  But obviously they would lose a whole year of development if they scrap all their 2018 concepts and go back to a design similar to their 2017 car.

It seems they figured they have started out on a high rake, high downforce path and so they are going to stick with it?  :confused:

For comparisons sake, Honda ditched a competent 2006 car for a radically new 2007 car which turned out to be a disaster both aeroydnamically and chassis wise.  They tried to evolve the 2007 for the 2008 car, but it was still a disaster.  They may have been better off using the 2006 car as the base for the 2008 car...

Edited by V8 Fireworks, Today, 11:39.

#888 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,189 posts

Posted Today, 11:32

It's not about how simple or not it looks.  It's about how well tuned the surfaces are at controlling the flow structures.

Red Bull have traditionally managed to get excellent control of the flow structures, even with relatively simplistic surfaces.

The 2018 Williams on the other hand was, sadly, a disaster aerodynamically.  Not only lacking performance, but with extremely inconsistent downforce (i.e., lack of proper flow control)  throughout the phases of the corner which created a lack of driver confidence, as they didn't know how much grip they would (or wouldn't!) have before they would be spat off the road.

Edited by V8 Fireworks, Today, 11:33.

#889 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,189 posts

Posted Today, 11:36

It would seem so.

Not sure why you are laughing.  If the performance metrics of the new car (downforce maps etc) were loaded into the simulator and it was 2 seconds slower, that is probably quite a fair estimate of how much slower the new car is...

#890 GiorgioF1

GiorgioF1

• 561 posts

Posted Today, 11:48

It would seem so.

Not sure why you are laughing.  If the performance metrics of the new car (downforce maps etc) were loaded into the simulator and it was 2 seconds slower, that is probably quite a fair estimate of how much slower the new car is...

I'm laughing because those were the figures at the very beggining of fiddling with the 2019 rule changes, and Benson threw this info to the public just before the test:

Sirotkin: "When I worked on the simulator, it was two seconds slower. But this happened at the very beginning of work, when changes in regulations automatically threw everyone back. Various technical solutions should have allowed this time to catch up, but at this stage of the development of the machine I was not working on the simulator.”

#891 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,189 posts

Posted Today, 11:50

Sirotkin: "When I worked on the simulator, it was two seconds slower. But this happened at the very beginning of work, when changes in regulations automatically threw everyone back. Various technical solutions should have allowed this time to catch up, but at this stage of the development of the machine I was not working on the simulator.”

What is Sirotkin up to these days?  He seemed competent enough.  Shame to be on the F1 reject pile already.

Is Sirotkin still a test and reserve driver at Williams, or elsewhere in F1?  :)

#892 YoungGun

YoungGun

• 11,534 posts

Posted Today, 12:05

I'm laughing because those were the figures at the very beggining of fiddling with the 2019 rule changes, and Benson threw this info to the public just before the test:

Think you're making a big thing out of nothing!

Ferrari: New F1 rules will make cars 1.5s slower

Edited by YoungGun, Today, 12:05.

#893 rodnet1

rodnet1

• 47 posts

Posted Today, 12:10

What is Sirotkin up to these days?  He seemed competent enough.  Shame to be on the F1 reject pile already.

Is Sirotkin still a test and reserve driver at Williams, or elsewhere in F1?  :)

Will drive for SMP Racing in WEC.

#894 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,189 posts

Posted Today, 12:27

Think you're making a big thing out of nothing!

Ferrari: New F1 rules will make cars 1.5s slower

The rumour was that the Williams was still 2 sec per lap slower than last year's already very slow Williams, as Williams recovered no performance with their aero work. I.e., Williams would not only be last, but last by far.

If they have recovered the performance, then that's no issue.  :)

#895 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,320 posts

Posted Today, 13:00

They weren't pushing but the car definitely looked more predictable in the footage I saw, this was backed up by trackside reports so fingers crossed they have that issue sorted.

#896 Sixpounder

Sixpounder

• 49 posts

Posted Today, 13:10

Well, in polish Eleven Sport Robert sounded quite pesimistic. But he was complaining about situation, not blaming Williams or specific persons. Several times he used "We" expression to ephasize they are struggling together. However he admitted that from his "driver point of view" this week testing wasn't useful. He had to follow runs for further engineer recognition/improvement, not for himself to understand the car and implement his personal setup. He also said that drivers were not informed about the late car delivery... He learned that from observations in factory (about possible delay), no one told them directly how big trouble they have. Finally he said this 2-3 days outage in first testing will make huge impact on Williams. They were supposed to chase the other teams. Instead, they might allow to this gap extension.
He was realistic as always. But there was no rage or offence to Williams. It's just RK style.
I prefer this kind of honesty than western political correctness. For last decades we so much get used to this coreectness... that's why sometimes pure truth from TV or social media is making such odd impression.

Edited by Sixpounder, Today, 13:14.

#897 RA2

RA2

• 982 posts

Posted Today, 16:10

Where is this 2 seconds coming from. Williams in 2018 aid they made no improvements during the year and their best was 1:19.695 during qualifying.

Since they already did a 1.20 on day 4, it is clear the car is not 2 seconds slower.