* * * * * 2 votes

Williams FW42 (She's a mover!)

• Please log in to reply
898 replies to this topic

#301 Nicktendo86

Nicktendo86

• 2,075 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 22:59

Ummmm hard to judge, need to see it in natural light. Could be great or could be awful.

Advertisement

#302 P123

P123

• 14,934 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 23:00

Livery isn't bad, could be worse. But that's 2 teams now with title sponsors no one has heard of and whos products you can't buy yet or will struggle to buy....very odd.

True, but at least Williams sponsor already has exposure with US sports teams, which is a step ahead of the new Haas sponsor backing a boxer with a few hundred Facebook followers...

As for complaints about sponsors, F1 has always had some odd sponsors, there have always been teams that struggled to find them (and fell off the grid) and some that just never paid up. When F1 was in rude health.. or not. Maybe the tobacco money is coming back with crap like Mission Minnow and whatever McLaren will have from BAT, but F1 teams also face a hell of a lot more competition now from the likes of the English and Spanish football leagues, which have the global coverage which wasn't there 10/20/30 years ago.

#303 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 16,363 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 23:07

I went to the Rokit website. Am I missing something? They have a couple of T's sweats and pants and that's it. No hats, glasses or anything else? By comparison Kimoa looks positively massive! As well on their main page if you scroll down it looks like their main basketball image is expired and not showing.

is that all there is?

You're probably looking at the wrong website. They make phones https://rokitphones.com/

#304 FNG

FNG

• 4,318 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 23:19

You're probably looking at the wrong website. They make phones https://rokitphones.com/

LOL, thank you.

#305 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 16,363 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 23:19

I quite like the livery. It sort of reminds me of the Team Aon Fords from the BTCC a few years ago.

841130.jpg?itok=jty2egmX

#306 Nathan

Nathan

• 4,555 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 23:27

Goodness, the finickiness of this place...  

What on earth the team behind this design was thinking, and then the black logos on light blue, horrible

Put white lettering on light blue and see how it magically becomes unreadable.

I feel like this is Liberty's doing

Because they have expanded F1s online presence to such an extent companies give a **** again?

#307 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 927 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 02:44

Looks ok to me. Distinctive and will be easy to pick out from the pack.

As for the sponsors, they seem to be a bit of a conglomerate, with some arms of the Rok business into hair care products, some into booze and some, like the division sponsoring Williams, into phones.

Candidly, Rokit could be selling frozen banana flambés for all I care, so long as they provide the funds for us to go racing... 😎👍

#308 BalanceUT

BalanceUT

• 1,523 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 03:38

Budget mobile phones that haven't been launched yet.

The parallels with Rich Energy are amazing. 

#309 BalanceUT

BalanceUT

• 1,523 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 03:42

Yup, and sponsor of NFL’s LA Chargers

ROKiT_Field_-_Los_Angeles_Chargers.jpg

The only NFL team that's renting a Major League Soccer stadium to play in. The Chargers are a mess. 

#310 BalanceUT

BalanceUT

• 1,523 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 03:44

I think I'd like it better without the white at al. Just teal and black or maybe teal and "Williams Blue" could work. Everyone tries to put so many colors in when single or two contrasting colors are usually a solid looks. 

#311 PeterScandlyn

PeterScandlyn

• 326 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 03:46

See! Claire WAS paying heed all along from the Rich Energy fellow..... :stoned:

#312 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 1,521 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:14

98 was easily their most hideous livery IMHO

The original yes. The revised livery later in 1998 (plus the car was revised) was actually not bad. 1999 livery gets my vote for worst which was still Winfield.

Very vanilla what they've come up with here. Hopefully its performance is far more spectacular (in a positive way).

#313 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

• 2,191 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:17

I am not decided about the livery, that is to say there is no real WOW! factor but there are plenty worse out there, and have not heard of the sponsor's phones before,  but I must say I love the eternal optimism in the thread title Williams FW42  2019 Title Contender. 

I hope even it it doesn't prove to in fact be a "title contender" it is at least more competitive than last years car.

#314 barrykm

barrykm

• 577 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:35

Hmm...yes.

#315 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,257 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 05:38

Because they have expanded F1s online presence to such an extent companies give a **** again?

Attracting so many faux companies that don’t sell anything isn’t a good sign for the sports advertising reach.

Companies like Mission Winnow (a faux brand Philip Morris had to invent because they couldn’t sell the advertising space on the Ferrari), Rich Energy (a drinks company that doesn’t sell any drinks) and ROKiT Phones (a phone company that doesn’t sell any phones) is an indicator that all the major brands have left F1 and all they’re all left scrapping around looking for any money at all no matter how dubious the sources are.

#316 Beri

Beri

• 858 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 05:39

They are none existent.
Rokit: a coupe of billionaires who launched this start up
Rich: Some years of existence and managed by one excentric millionaire
Rokit: a clear market to operate in and a full on businessmodel available
Rich: who gives a crap what we do? Let's sell tin cans online!

#317 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 387 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:15

I just hope that both Williams and Haas receive their sponsorship monies from Rokit and Rich respectively.

#318 Hamm

Hamm

• 387 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:24

alas, there is no good news. Among other things, they are very late with the assembly of the car. Saturday's filming day is very at risk and even the first day of testing.
https://twitter.com/...8746685440?s=19

#319 WilliamsF1Fan

WilliamsF1Fan

• 1,026 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:27

And how reliable is that rather random person?

Advertisement

#320 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,160 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:34

Regarding the livery, I'm sure we all have our favourite from Williams's past. Personally I won't be happy until somebody resurrects ICI and gets Canon back on board, but there you go.

For the time being however to see Williams with ANY sponsor is a plus, and as the saying goes "All cars look good in victory lane".

Not saying it will win anything but can't be worse than last year.

#321 f1seb

f1seb

• 1,530 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:37

I like it, I think it looks great! I'm a sucker for any type of blue.

#322 Pete_f1

Pete_f1

• 1,216 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:39

It will look beautiful when the cars come across bthe line in 1st and 2nd

#323 thegforcemaybewithyou

thegforcemaybewithyou

• 2,414 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:16

Is Bin Laden back on the cars? :lol:

#324 ensign14

ensign14

• 47,440 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:24

"I'm a Rok It Man..."

#325 smr

smr

• 1,010 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 09:08

It may look better on track, but I can't help but think of toothpaste when looking at it.

#326 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 4,277 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 09:21

"I'm a Rok It Man..."

What the heck did I just watch?

#327 BiggestBuddyLazierFan

BiggestBuddyLazierFan

• 169 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 09:53

98 was easily their most hideous livery IMHO

1999 was worse than 1998

#328 GiorgioF1

GiorgioF1

• 561 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 10:15

alas, there is no good news. Among other things, they are very late with the assembly of the car. Saturday's filming day is very at risk and even the first day of testing.
https://twitter.com/...8746685440?s=19

A year ago Williams assembled the FW41 for the first time in Jerez on the filming day. I dont know how reliable this source is but it's hard to imagine they wont be ready for the 1st day of testing.

#329 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 4,649 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 10:48

A year ago Williams assembled the FW41 for the first time in Jerez on the filming day. I dont know how reliable this source is but it's hard to imagine they wont be ready for the 1st day of testing.

Yesterday they fired it up, FWIW. They have a week, I can't imagine they will not be ready. Unless there is some manufacturing issue, but that wouldn't be very professional.

#330 Dunc

Dunc

• 705 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 10:49

I think some F1 fans get a bit blinkered when it comes to liveries, they have a long history of being horrible. Brabham Parmalat, the original B&H Jordans, Canon Williams and JYS' Tyrells from the 1970s, to take four examples, were all pretty ghastly. The reason we remember one like Rothmans Williams or JPS Lotus was because they stood out for how good looking they were.

I think the Williams livery looks good. What concerns me more is whether this is the car which takes Williams back up the grid.

#331 OSX

OSX

• 4,805 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 11:18

After the prestige oozing classic Martini livery the new look is depressingly low-rent. Especially for team like Williams. Oh, well...

#332 GiorgioF1

GiorgioF1

• 561 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 11:38

After the prestige oozing classic Martini livery the new look is depressingly low-rent. Especially for team like Williams. Oh, well...

After 5 years of the same Martini livery - plain white and a few strips across the car - the new one is a welcome change. Even if it isnt something spectacular but just ok-ish.

#333 Marklar

Marklar

• 28,395 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 11:40

Because despite the attempts of some to pretend otherwise, F1 is not in a good spot. Nor is it getting better.

Eh, this sponsor is also involved with the Houston Rockets in the NBA, so that's not exactly only a F1 "problem".

#334 Anja

Anja

• 3,199 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 11:42

After 5 years of the same Martini livery - plain white and a few strips across the car - the new one is a welcome change. Even if it isnt something spectacular but just ok-ish.

Vast majority of the most revered classic liveries can be brought down in the same way. Most of them were really simple. If presented today without the historic context they would be criticized as boring and lame. 

Edited by Anja, 12 February 2019 - 11:45.

#335 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 12,988 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 11:51

I've said this before, but in light of Claire Williams latest comments about B teams, I'll say something similar again.

I think Williams hold on too dearly to selective tradition, in a sport that it inherently evolutionary. I think they need to embrace shifts to the mechanisms of F1 and therefore their business, in the same way they do to aerodynamics, power units and design. It's as if they've arbitrarily drawn red lines beside some points but not others and the only difference is they list is longer than most. Life isn't fair and this is not necessarily fair, but I feel they are just compromising their competitiveness with a rigid refusal to allow themselves to evolve with the way F1 is going, which they, probably, do not have the power to stop. It's not sustainable for 10 cars to be designed and built each year that are almost identical (to 99% of fans) for a combined $2bn when if all the parts that were unnoticed/unknown/unimportant to 99.9% of fans could be shared, the aggregated constructor cost of F1 could be halved and the performance variation shrunk from 4 seconds per lap to 2 seconds per lap. Pragmatism required, I beleive. sorry Claire. 

#336 OSX

OSX

• 4,805 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 11:52

After 5 years of the same Martini livery - plain white and a few strips across the car - the new one is a welcome change.

Your positivity is admirable but the Williams top brass – and world at large – disagrees with you.

#337 GiorgioF1

GiorgioF1

• 561 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 12:05

Your positivity is admirable but the Williams top brass – and world at large – disagrees with you.

Show me the statistics on that.

#338 Ze Bum

Ze Bum

• 423 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 13:05

I think the Martini livery is probably the best of all times:

https://www.google.c...iw=1280&bih=912

Contested only by Gulf:

https://www.google.c...iw=1280&bih=912

#339 Anderis

Anderis

• 3,728 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 14:37

I must admit I got a bit tired of Martini livery. I accept the fact it's iconic in itself but I didn't like some of the details that were chosen for Williams F1 car (I think it could have been easily tweaked to look better while maintaining the concept) and the fact that it went so long without even minor tweaks made it even worse.

I'm annoyed by some of the details of the new livery as well. I don't understand why the real liveries of some F1 teams look so much worse than most of the fan-made concept liveries. At least for my liking, which I accept is subjective- I'm unimpressed.

Advertisement

#340 Nathan

Nathan

• 4,555 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 14:56

Attracting so many faux companies that don’t sell anything isn’t a good sign for the sports advertising reach.

Companies like Mission Winnow (a faux brand Philip Morris had to invent because they couldn’t sell the advertising space on the Ferrari), Rich Energy (a drinks company that doesn’t sell any drinks) and ROKiT Phones (a phone company that doesn’t sell any phones) is an indicator that all the major brands have left F1 and all they’re all left scrapping around looking for any money at all no matter how dubious the sources are.

Meanwhile ignoring the recent entrances of Coca-Cola, BWT, BAT, Mapfre, Alfa Romeo, Heineken, Aston Martin.  

F1 as a platform to launch global companies?  How embarrassing..  Dubious F1 sponsors have existed in no short supply - even through 'golden years' - so why it's now a problem that really one has come along has got me a bit lost...

Edited by Nathan, 12 February 2019 - 15:06.

#341 DarthWillie

DarthWillie

• 2,298 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 22:58

I got a feeling the rokit clothing company webmaster doesn't understand why his/her site gets so much traffic

#342 danmills

danmills

• 859 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 23:18

I do wonder who they actually get to design liveries. Is there someone employed full time to come up with ideas for a few weeks every season? Do they outsource it? Do they run internal competitions and sketches from engineers to tea persons? Does the boss doodle it on a napkin? Does the main sponsor throw weight with a design? I don't think it's ever really been confirmed by any team, has it?

#343 Nathan

Nathan

• 4,555 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 23:28

Internally.  

#344 midgrid

midgrid

• 7,242 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 00:26

I was watching an old BTCC review and I saw Williams's new sponsor (sort of)!

F8cKjcD.jpg

#345 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 437 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:23

Shakedown cancelled ‘to concentrate on first test’

Hmm...

#346 statman

statman

• 3,642 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:35

Williams abandon plans for a “filming day” this weekend ahead of the first test because time has overtaken the build process.

#347 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 7,131 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:04

Well that falls in line with what was previously reported. This is definitely "not optimal" (read "it sucks"), but hopefully they won't miss any track days, or track time during some relatively simple issues that normally would have been ironed out during the filming day.

#348 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 437 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:25

Internally.

https://www.youtube....h?v=rG55WOvO5bE

Enjoyed that, cheers 👍🏻

#349 OSX

OSX

• 4,805 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 11:15

Show me the statistics on that.

Martini is a prestige brand and the classic Martini racing livery oozes that prestige. The added value that the partnership brought for the Williams F1 team was really immeasurable. Rokit on the other hand is a low-rent mobile phone brand. Them's the facts.

#350 Beri

Beri

• 858 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 12:04

I must admit I got a bit tired of Martini livery. I accept the fact it's iconic in itself but I didn't like some of the details that were chosen for Williams F1 car (I think it could have been easily tweaked to look better while maintaining the concept) and the fact that it went so long without even minor tweaks made it even worse.

I'm annoyed by some of the details of the new livery as well. I don't understand why the real liveries of some F1 teams look so much worse than most of the fan-made concept liveries. At least for my liking, which I accept is subjective- I'm unimpressed.

People saying "Iconic liveries dont need change" are frequently the ones contesting Mercedes livery is such a livery. Whilst we now got the W10 by Mercedes with a tweaked livery that is quite pleasing and fresh. So even an iconic livery could use some spicing up. So could the Martini one have been applauded if it was changed just a bit. Just to keep it interesting. Something Mercedes has done now and Ferrari already did since a couple of years.