Photo
* * * * - 11 votes

Mercedes-AMG Technical Thread (W10 EQ Power+)

• Please log in to reply
5164 replies to this topic

#5151 w1Y

w1Y

• 4,115 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:27

I was going to mention the 2011 RB. As Mark Hughes pointed out in his race report, the high number of easy flat corners at Silverstone doesn't reward Mercedes' downforce advantage as much, and effectively transforms Silverstone into more of a power track.

Pole was always going to be a challenge, therefore. But in the race, they were much faster and it wasn't even that close. I'm thinking that Spa and Monza, especially the former, might resemble Silverstone. Challenging qualifying, but should have a definitive race pace advantage.

The report also says how lewis secretly believed in the 1 stop and was planning that.

I just watched the timelapse on reddit.

Not once did any other car have the fastest lap. Bottas and lewis passed it between themselves the whole race

Edited by w1Y, Yesterday, 09:37.

Advertisement

#5152 Mark123

Mark123

• 504 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:14

I know this wont happen but... how funny would it be to see the car from test 1 turn up for spa and monza!!

#5153 shure

shure

• 217 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:51

The report also says how lewis secretly believed in the 1 stop and was planning that.

I just watched the timelapse on reddit.

Not once did any other car have the fastest lap. Bottas and lewis passed it between themselves the whole race

Yeah, to put it into perspective in the last 20 laps of the race there were only 6 where Bottas went slower than Max's fastest overall.  Every other lap he was quicker than the very best Verstappen could do.  The Mercs were in a league of their own

#5154 Hela

Hela

• 392 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:01

Yeah, to put it into perspective in the last 20 laps of the race there were only 6 where Bottas went slower than Max's fastest overall.  Every other lap he was quicker than the very best Verstappen could do.  The Mercs were in a league of their own

Didn't max have a damaged car by then  :confused:

I think the clash happened on lap 36/37 - that's 14 out of the 20 laps you mention where Max had a severely compromised car

Edited by Hela, Yesterday, 12:04.

#5155 shure

shure

• 217 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:17

Didn't max have a damaged car by then  :confused:

I think the clash happened on lap 36/37 - that's 14 out of the 20 laps you mention where Max had a severely compromised car

Yeah you're right my bad I thought it was later.  Although I'm not sure how damaged Max's car was as his fastest lap was on lap 45 and he was still consistently quicker than Gasly.  But tbh substituting any other driver doesn't improve things so the point still stands

#5156 Hela

Hela

• 392 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:29

Yeah you're right my bad I thought it was later.  Although I'm not sure how damaged Max's car was as his fastest lap was on lap 45 and he was still consistently quicker than Gasly.  But tbh substituting any other driver doesn't improve things so the point still stands

This is according to Max himself 

“I honestly don't know how I brought that car to the finish,” said Verstappen. “My power steering failed, my seat was out, so all the time on the braking I was moving forward. In the high-speed corners I was moving left to right and then the car was really neutral. When I jumped out of the car the whole floor and rear was destroyed so [I'm] so happy to finish fifth.”

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.verstappen-doesnt-know-how-he-got-car-to-finish-as-vettel-admits-blame-for.7sdX7chtOvorqVA3TgXrJ2.html

Edited by Hela, Yesterday, 12:30.

#5157 shure

shure

• 217 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:38

This is according to Max himself 

“I honestly don't know how I brought that car to the finish,” said Verstappen. “My power steering failed, my seat was out, so all the time on the braking I was moving forward. In the high-speed corners I was moving left to right and then the car was really neutral. When I jumped out of the car the whole floor and rear was destroyed so [I'm] so happy to finish fifth.”

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.verstappen-doesnt-know-how-he-got-car-to-finish-as-vettel-admits-blame-for.7sdX7chtOvorqVA3TgXrJ2.html

yeah I'm always a bit of a cynic when it comes to drivers bigging themselves up in a race.  Same with TPs.  On looking at the timings more closely he does appear to have dropped 2-3 tenths after the incident, which is quite impressive.  And yet he was still quicker than Gasly more often than not!  

Even with that though Bottas was quite often in the 1:28s so it still looks as though he was comfortably quicker

#5158 Pyrone

Pyrone

• 126 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:43

This car is so dominant it is not funny. I am even quite sure they have speed in reserve. Would love to one day have this car be run full beans to see what it could really do at max engine modes. I think it would shatter all lap records.

#5159 shure

shure

• 217 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:47

This car is so dominant it is not funny. I am even quite sure they have speed in reserve. Would love to one day have this car be run full beans to see what it could really do at max engine modes. I think it would shatter all lap records.

if they did away with the conservation culture and the cheese tyres they would be obliterating records everywhere

Advertisement

#5160 Pyrone

Pyrone

• 126 posts

Posted Yesterday, 13:12

imagime it on the ring with some small modifactions

#5161 Pimpwerx

Pimpwerx

• 1,295 posts

Posted Yesterday, 14:51

Forecast for Hockenheim is looking Austria-esque. Not at altitude, however.

Hopefully they've prepared the correct cooling package this time, because Austria was kinda embarrassing.

#5162 Pyrone

Pyrone

• 126 posts

Posted Yesterday, 22:54

Hopefully they've prepared the correct cooling package this time, because Austria was kinda embarrassing.

I believe I already saw revised bodywork and a new radiator in this topic or F1technical.net.

#5163 kernel

kernel

• 3,384 posts

Posted Yesterday, 23:27

Hockenheim is at 100m above sea level. Temps are expected to be similar to the French GP, which was held 300m higher in altitude. They were marginal on cooling then. Therefore you’d assume that they should be fine for Germany unless ambient air hits 40C which is highly unlikely.

#5164 zibby43

zibby43

• 17 posts

Posted Today, 07:50

Hockenheim is at 100m above sea level. Temps are expected to be similar to the French GP, which was held 300m higher in altitude. They were marginal on cooling then. Therefore you’d assume that they should be fine for Germany unless ambient air hits 40C which is highly unlikely.

Great info.  The long-range forecast for Hockenheim has the temps for the weekend (Fri-Sun) in the 83-84 F degree range.  Still a long way out, but those temperatures will be manageable. 

On a side note . . . If you had to take a guess, what upgrades do you think Merc will bring to Hockenheim?  I'm interested to see if the revised engine cover + slightly different ERS rad. Hamilton tested at Silverstone is part of a bigger package.

Edited by zibby43, Today, 07:51.

#5165 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 2,689 posts

Posted Today, 08:31

Luckily a dip in temps for race weekend, 36 degrees would be brutal for the car.