Photo
* * * * - 12 votes

Mercedes-AMG Technical Thread (W10 EQ Power+)

• Please log in to reply
6020 replies to this topic

#6001 LightningMcQueen

LightningMcQueen

• 113 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 18:09

The Merc domination outcry wasn't based on realism. Everything went Merc's way those races, resulting in much more wins than actually "deserved" pacewise.

Only Bahrain falls into this category, Baku yes Ferrari had quickest car in qualy thanks to monster straights but no where in the race

Advertisement

#6002 Con1

Con1

• 285 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 22:04

Just how much of Merc's straight line deficit comes down to the engine and how much to Ferrari's low drag concept? I'm not convinced the engine is all that far behind tbh.

When you can't close a gap from one end of the straight to the other where you have a tow and the DRS wide open for half of that straight, there is something more than low v high drag going on.

#6003 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 3,316 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 22:46

The Mercedes engine is nothing special compared to the Ferrari, the paddock says it, even Wolff says it, don't know why that is so hard to accept. Merc has a beast of a chassis and that will win them this title.

#6004 teejay

teejay

• 5,696 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 23:44

Ferrari have clearly had the better engine package for at least the last 18 months. 

#6005 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,651 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 00:35

When you can't close a gap from one end of the straight to the other where you have a tow and the DRS wide open for half of that straight, there is something more than low v high drag going on.

:rolleyes:

A suggestion that Ferrari are cheating the power unit rules is utterly absurd.  :down:  

#6006 4444

• 186 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 00:53

A suggestion that Ferrari are cheating the power unit rules is utterly absurd.  :down:  

You came to that conclusion on your own. The poster never said anything about cheating.

#6007 teejay

teejay

• 5,696 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 05:54

Yeah don't think that was the intent of the post - more so that they also have more power rather than just less drag. 

#6008 w1Y

w1Y

• 4,387 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 06:58

Engine is more than power. Effieciency if massively vital for the race. Its rare that a car can hound another car at the front for most of the race.

In qualy fuel loads dont matter. However, merc clearly need to make some gains on the peak power while maintaining their efficiency projectory. Easier said than done.

Also we have seen in past years that Monza isnt the easiest track to overtake at the front. Kimis tyres completely went off last year and was still difficult to overtake and that was before the engine gap increased this year.

Losing in Monza doesnt raise any concerns. It wasnt like Hungary where ferrari nearly got lapped on pure pace. They need to improve power but its not disastrous.

#6009 MasterOfCoin

MasterOfCoin

• 2,270 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:19

#6010 AnR

AnR

• 651 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:36

makes me even more impressed by Leclerc, Merc threw everything at him, strategy, 2 different driver attacking, better tyres, and he took it all and won in a slower car  :cool:

#6011 Huffer

Huffer

• 1,013 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:37

I don't think I'm alone here when I'm wondering what on earth you are harping on about here. Where exactly, is this accusation of cheating?

#6012 Whatisvalis

Whatisvalis

• 1,170 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:56

makes me even more impressed by Leclerc, Merc threw everything at him, strategy, 2 different driver attacking, better tyres, and he took it all and won in a slower car :cool:

He was hardly driving a bus around Monza.

#6013 Marklar

Marklar

• 32,516 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 13:01

With Ferrari's straight line advantage all he had to do was not making mistakes, which he actually did twice, but the FIA let him get away with this. Vettel was punished harder for only making one in Montreal.

Edited by Marklar, 11 September 2019 - 13:02.

#6014 Con1

Con1

• 285 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 20:53

:lol: 

As others have helpfully pointed out, I didn't suggest any cheating whatsoever. I was suggesting that this wasn't just down to aero efficiency...engine power has to come in to it as well.

#6015 Hela

Hela

• 495 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 21:42

makes me even more impressed by Leclerc, Merc threw everything at him, strategy, 2 different driver attacking, better tyres, and he took it all and won in a slower car  :cool:

Leclerc did good although he rode his luck at times. Which is more than I can say for the other lead Ferrari driver :)

#6016 Retrofly

Retrofly

• 3,462 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:01

:lol:

#6017 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

• 6,731 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:43

It was slower in the parts where you can’t overtake.

#6018 MasterOfCoin

MasterOfCoin

• 2,270 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 12:04

Horses for courses......  ;)

#6019 rodlamas

rodlamas

• 10,062 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 14:45

Mercedes had the fastest car on race pace on both races, but given the circumstances, Leclerc was able to win them both. And both races Ferrari was supposed to win by a country mile + Red Bull would have been able to mount a challenge to Mercedes.

Advertisement

#6020 gillesfan76

gillesfan76

• 3,567 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 15:18

Imagine what Leclerc would be doing in that Red Bull then. Probably would have won at least 4 races this season already.

#6021 kernel

kernel

• 3,872 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 15:20

Mercedes had the fastest car on race pace on both races, but given the circumstances, Leclerc was able to win them both. And both races Ferrari was supposed to win by a country mile + Red Bull would have been able to mount a challenge to Mercedes.

They had a greater advantage at Spa than Monza, but you can't pass easily around those two tracks if you don't have the straightline speed.