Photo
* * * * - 7 votes

Mercedes-AMG Technical Thread (W10 EQ Power+)

• Please log in to reply
3118 replies to this topic

#651 Knowlesy

Knowlesy

• 3,458 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 20:01

Well I suppose Lewis does indeed have the best, most enthusiastic fans in the world.

I held onto that all off-season.

Advertisement

#652 FrontWing

FrontWing

• 4,733 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 20:06

Instead of all this doom and gloom front wing nonsense... where's this impressive (according to the Autosport article) long stint Bottas did this afternoon?

#653 tokengator82

tokengator82

• 837 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 20:09

GAME OVER

I guess people still wont believe it in Aus when ferrari comfortably take pole.

I agree that they want to get laps in first and will turn the wick up as time goes on. In fact all teams are doing this. I imagine merc are especially trying to get reliability and efficiency data with their nee engine works.

In fact has there been any news on ferrari pu development?

same poster, different threads

Edited by tokengator82, 19 February 2019 - 20:11.

#654 NateF1

NateF1

• 102 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 20:13

The guy at the One Stop said the Ferrari is at least two seconds faster...

There was some discussion yesterday about autobild's lack of reliability, so I'm not sure how much stock can be placed in them essentially corroborating their own story.

I think if all the teams had clocked that Ferrari have over half a second on Merc we'd be hearing quite a lot about it and from different sources. It's possible, but not very convincing at this point

#655 Lights

Lights

• 15,779 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 20:18

In any case I don't see any signs why Mercedes would be ahead of Ferrari. From what I've seen/read so far I'd expect Ferrari's strong points of 2018 to still be there: quick straight out of the box; great driveability; ahead on the PU front in the early acceleration phase (probably figured out how to properly use that battery/ICE trick they had last year from AUT-ITA); and able to make the tires work easily in different circumstances.

Looking at the last few pre-season tests, this is also the first year that Ferrari, or any team for that matter, is able to run a similar amount of laps in testing as Mercedes. They finally reached that level of operability and consistency.

Even if Merc take pole in Melbourne, I don't see why 2019 will be any easier than 2018.

#656 w1Y

w1Y

• 3,645 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 20:18

same poster, different threads

It was a joke.

#657 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 16,631 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 20:19

:lol: Ferrari and the Media are trying to spook Mercedes, it is clear

#658 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 3,095 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 20:21

There was some discussion yesterday about autobild's lack of reliability

They are quoting Toro Rosso's team principal.

#659 tokengator82

tokengator82

• 837 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 20:27

It was a joke.

fair enough..sarcasm can be hard to pick up on at times 

Advertisement

#660 NateF1

NateF1

• 102 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 20:31

Well all of this is certainly building the anticipation for Melbourne. If the Ferrari hype does turn out to be true then we could be in for a titanic battle this year.

Ferrari have been catching Merc on the technical side and arguably surpassed them last year but didn't execute. Merc/Hamilton are a formidable force and won't go down easy

#661 monolulu

monolulu

• 816 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 20:40

https://www.mercedes...s-in-barcelona/

All seems to be going to plan

Edited by monolulu, 19 February 2019 - 20:42.

#662 kernel

kernel

• 2,477 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 20:56

They’re hardly going to say “we dropped the ball on the front wing, and we’re about a second slower than Ferrari”, won’t they?

#663 CL16

CL16

• 778 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 20:59

That last line from Allison is telling.

#664 kernel

kernel

• 2,477 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 21:01

Schmidt from AMuS confirming the Bild’s gossip:

“Regarding the Ferrari front wing, AMuS Schmidt with RTL

"I talked to Mercedes engineers and they tried this Ferrari concept but with that you are losing downforce at the front which you have to find somewhere else and they are surprised how it works at the Ferrari."

#665 tokengator82

tokengator82

• 837 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 21:01

They’re hardly going to say “we dropped the ball on the front wing, and we’re about a second slower than Ferrari”, won’t they?

especially if they don't think that 

#666 w1Y

w1Y

• 3,645 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 21:04

Alisons comments are the most telling. 2nd week of testing is when the interesting stuff happens

#667 Mercstar

Mercstar

• 2,081 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 21:05

Re the FW doom and gloom, there are many ways to skin a cat. Just like Merc have made the long wheelbase/low rake concept work since 2017 (and were largely the only ones to go down that route) I don't think them going their own way on FW concept is a case of missing a trick, but rather a case of sticking to their own philosophy. 

Edited by Mercstar, 19 February 2019 - 21:07.

#668 Marklar

Marklar

• 28,821 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 21:06

"I talked to Mercedes engineers and they tried this Ferrari concept but with that you are losing downforce at the front which you have to find somewhere else and they are surprised how it works at the Ferrari."

How? He confirms what he has written in his article, not that Ferrari is over half a second quicker or whatever other **** Autobild is writing to create hype in Germany.

The thing which amazes me in this discussion is how Toro Rosso has a front wing similar like this, but not Red Bull. Wouldn't you think that they would have told them if this was this big silver bullet?

Bottas long run makes me think that Mercedes is competitive, nobody can know as of yet how exactly though. 

#669 kernel

kernel

• 2,477 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 21:07

especially if they don't think that

Their body language suggest otherwise. Marc Priestley is confirming what I’d been saying so far... the contrast in mood/body language between Ferrari and Merc is stark.

https://www.youtube....h?v=iEPt9J8bOSg

#670 CL16

CL16

• 778 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 21:07

I feel like the car might not be the qualifier it has been in the past but an absolute monster in race trim.

#671 tokengator82

tokengator82

• 837 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 21:08

based on Allisons comments it appears merc spent the first day working on a baseline setup for the car 

today was spent analyzing tire wear 

if this is true how can anyone, tost included, make any conclusions about the supposed gap with Ferrari? 

#672 tokengator82

tokengator82

• 837 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 21:09

Their body language suggest otherwise. Marc Priestley is confirming what I’d been saying so far... the contrast in mood/body language between Ferrari and Merc is stark.

https://www.youtube....h?v=iEPt9J8bOSg

lmfao

#673 EndlessMotion

EndlessMotion

• 1,720 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 21:12

Slightly more reassuring if true that they did think of and try the concept and it's not a total surprise to them. Fair play to Ferrari though for making it work with their car and obviously there's something big to be gained from it from their point of view.

Mercedes sound very comfortable with their own testing plan though as usual so maybe we're set for a situation where Mercedes and Ferrari's differing concepts work just fine respectively and it's not a silver bullet type thing. Two very different car designs at the end of the day. I have a feeling Ferrari's power unit might be their biggest asset once again this year too. They'll definitely be looking to try and bag more pole positions than they did last year to have track position. Their thinking with the FW might also be aiding their one lap pace.

Either way it's pretty cool to have different aero solutions as the focus after it being an engine formula for most of the hybrid era.

#674 kernel

kernel

• 2,477 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 21:14

lmfao

That’s a very high quality response you got there. The point about body language isn’t really debatable though; it’s all over the press, photos, etc.

The question is whether Mercedes is either genuinely clueless about peak performance (waiting for 2nd week), or worries that it’s not fast enough, or that it’s just quietly confident and waiting for the second test to stretch its legs.

#675 Marklar

Marklar

• 28,821 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 21:15

Also Toto will freaking love this. He doesnt even need to convince people this year that they are the underdog  :lol:

#676 Whatisvalis

Whatisvalis

• 829 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 21:17

That’s a very high quality response you got there. The point about body language isn’t really debatable though; it’s all over the press, photos, etc.

The question is whether Mercedes is either genuinely clueless about peak performance (waiting for 2nd week), or worries that it’s not fast enough, or that it’s just quietly confident and waiting for the second test to stretch its legs.

1oc6wh.jpg

#677 Neno

Neno

• 1,644 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 21:18

Also Toto will freaking love this. He doesnt even need to convince people this year that they are the underdog  :lol:

Everytime someone try sell me underdog Mercedes I just respond: 5 consecutive titles in row B 

#678 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,621 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 21:22

It's amazing isn't it? 

They've rocked up, everything's gone according to plan and yet people are desperate to write them off already. You'd think 5 double doubles would buy them some respect but apparently not... 

#679 uraharakisuke

uraharakisuke

• 100 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 21:29

Mercedes have lost this championship before it even begins based entirely on the indisputable findings of the Frownometer, which compared a Brackley engineer looking sternly at some bodywork with the overly emotional nature of the average Italian.

Advertisement

#680 anyeis

anyeis

• 1,281 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 21:47

The front wings are natural conclusions from how the cars have been since 2017

Mercedes changing the whole car was too risky. Maybe Ferrari lucked in to good rules for them

Edited by anyeis, 19 February 2019 - 21:48.

#681 tokengator82

tokengator82

• 837 posts

something completely subjective isn't debatable? really? This is why i laughed..you are spewing nonsense. I don't really have the interest in debating how someone is walking or slouching and what it means in the big picture. It is beyond silly. 

if you actually had something tangible from the recent testing to provide I'd be more than willing to discuss it with you. 

Edited by tokengator82, 19 February 2019 - 21:49.

#682 Synkro89

Synkro89

• 1,497 posts

It's amazing isn't it? 

They've rocked up, everything's gone according to plan and yet people are desperate to write them off already. You'd think 5 double doubles would buy them some respect but apparently not... 

This. This post is what im talking about. i know most of F1 want to knock them off the top step but the agenda is real. Its subtle things aswell. Following skys testing feed. "Ferrari stamping authority on the opposition" (then a mercedes headline pops up)" Hamilton only 7th are Mercedes in trouble blah blah Just makes me support the team even more to be honest. I know people are sick of the Mercedes/Hamilton combo but they have been the best package for half a decade.I really couldn't give a shite about frontwinggate# I believe in this team. Of course they don't always get it right and i expect this year to be our hardest yet but this team is being underestimated by fans the media and paddock. Its a slap in the face of all the team from brackley and brixworth who have contributed to Mercedes success. Anyway another day and another solid outing for the W10  :up:

#683 robefc

robefc

• 12,044 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 21:51

I've heard their body language is not indicative of quiet confidence...

#684 tokengator82

tokengator82

• 837 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 21:52

Mercedes have lost this championship before it even begins based entirely on the indisputable findings of the Frownometer, which compared a Brackley engineer looking sternly at some bodywork with the overly emotional nature of the average Italian.

a reporter saw a mercedes engineer sitting at a table looking solemnly and eating his chips very slowly.

Also this song was playing over the PA system:

Ferrari WCC confirmed

#685 CL16

CL16

• 778 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 21:53

02m184242-1080x805.jpg

If you look closely at this picture you can see Lewis has been crying, the car clearly isn’t right.

#686 robefc

robefc

• 12,044 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 21:54

This. This post is what im talking about. i know most of F1 want to knock them off the top step but the agenda is real. Its subtle things aswell. Following skys testing feed. "Ferrari stamping authority on the opposition" (then a mercedes headline pops up)" Hamilton only 7th are Mercedes in trouble blah blah Just makes me support the team even more to be honest. I know people are sick of the Mercedes/Hamilton combo but they have been the best package for half a decade.I really couldn't give a shite about frontwinggate# I believe in this team. Of course they don't always get it right and i expect this year to be our hardest yet but this team is being underestimated by fans the media and paddock. Its a slap in the face of all the team from brackley and brixworth who have contributed to Mercedes success. Anyway another day and another solid outing for the W10  :up:

I think you've got the agenda wrong, Sky just can't put up a headline for two weeks saying 'test times mean nothing, please disengage with our TV and web coverage until the Oz GP.'

#687 tokengator82

tokengator82

• 837 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 21:57

Imagine if they asked him about body language 

#688 FrontWing

FrontWing

• 4,733 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 21:57

02m184242-1080x805.jpg

If you look closely at this picture you can see Lewis has been crying, the car clearly isn’t right.

He looks devastated...

#689 EndlessMotion

EndlessMotion

• 1,720 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 22:01

I'm not sure what Ferrari's happy faces has to do with Mercedes performance. Good for Ferrari if they're extremely pleased with their start to testing, things are clearly going very nicely for them and apparently they're enjoying it. It has absolutely nothing to do with whether the Mercedes is better or worse, certainly not at this stage. A team can be happy with their own work during testing without it having anything to do with other teams.

#690 uraharakisuke

uraharakisuke

• 100 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 22:20

02m184242-1080x805.jpg

wMwoaC.png

#691 JonnyJ

JonnyJ

• 1,103 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 22:31

Regardless of what happens this season I am definitely awarding The 2019 Knicker Wetting Championship to Merc fans on this week alone.

Nothing Ferrari fans can do will top this. Well played. Bring on 2020.

#692 Whatisvalis

Whatisvalis

• 829 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 22:39

Regardless of what happens this season I am definitely awarding The 2019 Knicker Wetting Championship to Merc fans on this week alone.

Yea, I'm not sure you will find actual Merc fans melting down - just forum trolls and suckers polluting this thread with circle jerk BS.

#693 DrF

DrF

• 2,535 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 22:44

But, but... Body Language!

#694 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 1,824 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 22:47

The car looks good on track I have to say, but those bloody rumours won't go away.

#695 balage06

balage06

• 863 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 22:48

But, but... Body Language!

https://www.youtube....h?v=cVaIPF7xnQg

#696 Marklar

Marklar

• 28,821 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 22:56

Screw the front wing, clearly Lewis' new hair style is causing all the disturbance.

#697 Paco

Paco

• 2,339 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 23:30

I do not know, the comment on it feeling different is kind of strange until it gets further clarified. 

If people are seeing it on track being good then that also is a bit of a concern ..

But they are probably just data gathering and looking how tires react. so probalby not yet pushed anything.

Why Ferrari so solid already and smoothly going on can also be seen as a good or bad thing as well --- perhaps not a lot of headspace in speed.. come Q3 in Aus.. they could be going in very confidient and get pounched..

#698 Ev0d3vil

Ev0d3vil

• 2,562 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 23:34

I bet Lewis will be on pole come Oz.

#699 NateF1

NateF1

• 102 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 23:38

It's not even been a full week, the Knicker Wetting Championship was sealed within two days.

I propose a Body Language Championship too. The 2019 one seems to already be in the bag for Ferrari, but all-day scenes of euphoria amongst Mercedes personnel tomorrow could get them back in the game.

Advertisement

#700 r4mses

r4mses

• 1,243 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 23:47

just to clarify, that's the way ferrari members were spottet in the pitlane?  :eek: