Photo

The Beaulieu "Catfish"

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DCapps

DCapps

• 870 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 20:43

Here is another chapter in helping to find out more about what is possibly a front-engined US road racing special.

It appears to be a C1 Corvette chassis fitted with custom aluminum bodywork. Other than that, it does not seem to quite fit anything I have found as yet in any of the usual resources.

However, here is a binder of photographs of the car that should help in possibly sorting this out:

https://www.academia..._11-04-2018.pdf

As always, any help very much appreciated.

HDC

Advertisement

#2 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,052 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 21:29

Isn't that a Buick engine, Don?

If it's a Corvette chassis, there seems to be a lot of tubes holding up the bodywork.

#3 DCapps

DCapps

• 870 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 00:38

Isn't that a Buick engine, Don?

If it's a Corvette chassis, there seems to be a lot of tubes holding up the bodywork.

That it is a Buick engine was also my guess, since just looking at the exhaust ports would eliminate a Chevrolet engine. Same thought on the chassis, but apparently it seems to have been reduced to basically the platform and then the structure built to carry the aluminum bodywork.

So far, it has not rung any bells (sorry, Ray...) with me as to who may have built this particular car as well as where and when.

I keep having the feeling that I am overlooking something, though.

#4 DCapps

DCapps

• 870 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 01:12

More information:

And you're right, it was a Buick engine mated to a 3 speed ford truck transmission.  The first registration I have is from 1961 though a Pennsylvania special vehicle plate is affixed to the firewall.  (That's a dead end too as Pennsylvania tosses ownership history 5 years after a car leaves the state). The PA tag must pre-date the registration as the oldest reg is from Maine.  Additionally, the C1 chassis carries a 1956 vin.

#5 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,052 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 07:56

Don, with that Buick engine as a clue, I'd think it dates from a very early time...

And a Ford truck 3-speed? That sounds pretty basic.

Perhaps it started life as one of the rare 6-cylinder Corvettes and for some reason (crashed, burned?) the chassis was taken and had the Buick engine installed because the Chevrolet V8s were too new to obtain or modify? Yes, from a very early time, pre-1958 if that's a reasonable surmise.

#6 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,038 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 01:18

Don, I can't seem to access the pictures - Pennsylvania says hill climb to me.

If I had a picture I would ask Ron Mann the hill climb guru. 

RGDS RLT

#7 DCapps

DCapps

• 870 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 17:12

Don, I can't seem to access the pictures - Pennsylvania says hill climb to me.

If I had a picture I would ask Ron Mann the hill climb guru. 

RGDS RLT

Rupert,,

My apologies. Sorry, but I missed this from you earlier. PM me an email address and I will send the binder to you.

HDC