- - - - -

Exiting and F1 cockpit with a halo fitted

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 3,994 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 07:37

I am a non-technician hoping that you technically literate folk can enlighten me. There seems little doubt that the halo device has justified its presence in the last 12 months. However, there remains the matter of extracting an injured or stunned driver in the event of a crash. It might well be very tricky in some circumstances.

It occurs to me that it might be quite feasible to design a halo fitting which would allow it to be swung out of the way quite quickly and easily. What I have in mind is two hinges at the aft end of it and a release mechanism at the leading edge of it, so that it swings open. 

The pins and catches required could surely be made with more than sufficient robustness. Here, as evidence, perhaps, is an image of the main gear of a Boeing 747. Plenty of hinge pins and release mechanisms here. And decent forces acting upon them all.

Boeing-747-main-gear.jpg

Edit and help please from a moderator. Could you kindly change 'and' into 'an' in the title? To save my embarrassment.  :blush:

Edited by Gary Davies, 01 February 2019 - 12:32.

Advertisement

#2 Kelpiecross

Kelpiecross

• 1,386 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 11:06

Good idea.

#3 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 6,615 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 03:11

I believe that if it is required they will cut the halo off. 

#4 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 6,615 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 07:33

I have to add, that in situations where the halo would be in the way for an extraction that removing it by use of pins would also probably be difficult - such as in an upturned car.

In the event of a driver unable to extract himself from a turned over car, the medical staff would stabilise the driver's neck before righting the vehicle.