Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Alfa Romeo Racing Technical Thread (C38)

• Please log in to reply
737 replies to this topic

#701 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 11,328 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:05

Kimi just said on TV that they had to make an early pit stop because a tear-off flew into his rear brake duct. Probably explains the length of the pit stop as well.

Thanks for the info.

Advertisement

#702 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 6,304 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:18

Great exercise in tyre management from Kimi while many were struggling with the mediums. Had the pace to beat Hulk on track, too bad overtaking is so difficult. WCC P6 is absolutely possible this year, but quali must be spot on.

#703 barzini

barzini

• 1,534 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:45

Great exercise in tyre management from Kimi while many were struggling with the mediums. Had the pace to beat Hulk on track, too bad overtaking is so difficult. WCC P6 is absolutely possible this year, but quali must be spot on.

Giovinazzi has to up his game quite a bit... WDC anything up to 7th is possible this season for Kimi. It seemed in the race that KMag was holding up Hulk and Kimi so it's clear that Alfa has a good midfield race car.

#704 Balnazzard

Balnazzard

• 1,770 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:12

Both Haas and Racing point were ahead in pace atleast in this race imo. As a somewhat poor or at best mediocre driver like stroll is right behind us, its telling alot. Id say Alfa should have probably gone for hard tire in 2nd stop, but as they were trying to undercut hulk it was somewhat understandable.

All in all, a good first result, could have been a place up for Kimi, but my concerns about gio being able to score points for the wcc are still very much alive.

I wouldnt draw too big conclusions about the pecking order in midfield just based on this race (because of the track)

Kimi himself wasnt on optimal strategy, forcing to pit bit earlier than planned and ofc during latter half he was stuck behind Hulk, who in return was stuck behind Magnussen...

So we shall have to wait till next 2 races to really see where they are compared to rest of the midfield. Kimi was being fairly certain that there was much more they could take out of the car in clean air and that qualifying was also far from the best so considering that we just have to wait for Bahrain and Shanghai to see where they are exactly.

#705 Tomerell

Tomerell

• 1,698 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 12:44

Kimi was driving as expected, very good start for the season, and important points collected.

Gio was a disappointment, some here hyped him to wipe floor with Kimi, but that was left for the future  :p

#706 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 7,052 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 12:50

Kimi was driving as expected, very good start for the season, and important points collected.
Gio was a disappointment, some here hyped him to wipe floor with Kimi, but that was left for the future :p

Front wing damage after Turn 1 (DR debris).

Lack of front grip for the entirety of the First Stint.

Let's wait for more normal races to judge!

Leclerc was outpaced by Ericsson in the first few races of last year:D

Edited by thegamer23, 17 March 2019 - 12:51.

#707 muramasa

muramasa

• 7,812 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 13:12

Discarding visor disposable films on track should be banned, back in 2015 Boullier brought the matter up when tear-off scorched Alonso's brake causing retirement in Spanish GP. There were some incidents of tear-offs entering sidepod and brake after and before that as well of course. There were some discussions to address it from 2015 to 2016 but it just died down since then. They should ban it as anyone's race especially championship got ruined by such thing as visor tear-offs is so pathetic esp when it's totally preventable. It's not difficult to equip trash bin or bag or whatever somewhere in cockpit at all.

#708 Tomerell

Tomerell

• 1,698 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 13:14

Front wing damage after Turn 1 (DR debris).

Lack of front grip for the entirety of the First Stint.

Let's wait for more normal races to judge!

Leclerc was outpaced by Ericsson in the first few races of last year:D

Well I don't think Ericsson is any kind of yard stick to measure competitiveness. And this year Charles has not yet put the wold on fire in Ferrari either...  :cool:

Antonio needs to up his game massively to compete against his team mate, and I don't think it is going to happen this season. Maybe after couple of years he is up there, because I think he has the potential to do so....

#709 Pitlane

Pitlane

• 556 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 13:32

I wouldnt draw too big conclusions about the pecking order in midfield just based on this race (because of the track)

Kimi himself wasnt on optimal strategy, forcing to pit bit earlier than planned and ofc during latter half he was stuck behind Hulk, who in return was stuck behind Magnussen...

So we shall have to wait till next 2 races to really see where they are compared to rest of the midfield. Kimi was being fairly certain that there was much more they could take out of the car in clean air and that qualifying was also far from the best so considering that we just have to wait for Bahrain and Shanghai to see where they are exactly.

I did say "this race" regarding the pace:)

Anyhow, i think we will see the midfield performance being very track dependent, with multiple teams moving up and down the pecking order, and then theres the track preference by the drivers going to play in. It'll be a very hard season for 4th,5th,6th in wcc. And Im still unsure if Alfa even has the potential for anything better then 6th considering Gio is such an unknown, but lets hope for the best.

Edited by Pitlane, 17 March 2019 - 13:33.

#710 DrF

DrF

• 2,535 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 18:11

It looked like Kimi was going to overtake the Hulk towards the end... I guess the new front wings aren't really working as well as everyone was hoping.

#711 Balnazzard

Balnazzard

• 1,770 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 18:21

It looked like Kimi was going to overtake the Hulk towards the end... I guess the new front wings aren't really working as well as everyone was hoping.

Well again Kimi said it was actually easier to follow other car, but that overtaking was still really hard due to the track profile...

I suggest we really look how much easier it might be to overtake in other tracks, before saying whether or not these new front wings have made any difference at all, but ofc there are no magic tricks for tracks like Melbourne or Monaco.

#712 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 11,328 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 18:25

Well again Kimi said it was actually easier to follow other car, but that overtaking was still really hard due to the track profile...

I suggest we really look how much easier it might be to overtake in other tracks, before saying whether or not these new front wings have made any difference at all, but ofc there are no magic tricks for tracks like Melbourne or Monaco.

This.

There is a trick, if Pirelli would make tyres of 2012/2013 again. We had 50-60 overtakes even on tracks like Melbourne and Monaco.

#713 UreaBorealis

UreaBorealis

• 1,967 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 19:42

The gap was down to 0.3xxs at it's lowest, but as not much of the action was shown on feed, it's hard to say if there ever was a proper attempt to pass - I guess not

#714 DrF

DrF

• 2,535 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 20:30

The Hulk is not an easy man to pass and at that late stage of the race on worn tyres it was probably a bit risky to try anything other than wait for a mistake.

#715 DrF

DrF

• 2,535 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 21:02

https://videa.hu/vid...hn7aiUrERt8IXtw

He was definitely reeling the Renault in, car looks nice to drive

#716 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 7,052 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 21:05

Quite optimistic about this car's chances in faster circuits like Bahrain

Edited by thegamer23, 17 March 2019 - 21:05.

#717 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 11,328 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 01:04

Kimi said to TS, that the car felt great on the race, the only problem was that tear off visor snd because of that he had stop at least 10 laps before that was planned.
Kimi also said that there was a lot more speed on the car, but you just couldn't overtake becaude of the track layout is what it is.

#718 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 11,328 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 01:05

Same.

#719 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 11,328 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 01:07

Looks very nice indeed.

Advertisement

#720 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 6,304 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 05:55

If Ferrari manage to solve their alleged PU problems, that is. But yeah, those medium speed corners should suit the car, and Kimi likes the circuit as well.

Edited by Jovanotti, 18 March 2019 - 05:56.

#721 DrF

DrF

• 2,535 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 08:45

If Ferrari manage to solve their alleged PU problems, that is. But yeah, those medium speed corners should suit the car, and Kimi likes the circuit as well.

Is it a PU problem or packaging? Alfas seemed to have enough power yesterday, was there an issue? If it was slowing them down then that is encouraging because their race was also compromised by the unscheduled early stop.

With a better planned and executed qualifying session and no PU or other issues then this car can be right up there with Renault and Haas.

#722 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 6,304 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:07

Is it a PU problem or packaging? Alfas seemed to have enough power yesterday, was there an issue? If it was slowing them down then that is encouraging because their race was also compromised by the unscheduled early stop.

With a better planned and executed qualifying session and no PU or other issues then this car can be right up there with Renault and Haas.

Don't know how it was it the race, but in quali Kimi also had the strange derating during his Q3 lap.

#723 dreamer

dreamer

• 1,790 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 13:16

+ better pit stops

#724 LateApex

LateApex

• 27 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 01:18

@ 0.55 seconds, maybe it was his own tearoff that flew into his brake duct?

#725 Oho

Oho

• 9,630 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 02:48

No, seems like he passed Giovanazi (?) in the first seconds and thats was after stops..

#726 Yoshi

Yoshi

• 2,562 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 08:05

It was his own  :drunk:

#727 DrF

DrF

• 2,535 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 08:12

Was GIO left out deliberately to help RAI? I listened to the 5Live race review and Palmer reckons he was sacrificed.

He was out if the points I know but seems strange to do this. The cars behind him weren't necessarily a threat to car7 were they?

Not sure why he was left out so long though.

#728 haryantofan666

haryantofan666

• 248 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 08:20

Gio started on mediums, so no

#729 restless

restless

• 524 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 08:24

Gio was a disappointment, some here hyped him to wipe floor with Kimi, but that was left for the future  :p

Gio was sacrificed (staying too long on track) in order to slow down Norris & co, thus giving comfortable margin to Kimi.

#730 DrF

DrF

• 2,535 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 08:46

Gio was sacrificed (staying too long on track) in order to slow down Norris & co, thus giving comfortable margin to Kimi.

or the tyres they had waiting for him were already worn and didn’t have enough life in them to get to the end?

#731 andyz

andyz

• 105 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 09:44

And Gio had front wing damage,  also floor damage, drove over some carbon fibre parts Ricciardo left on the track.  So, not easy to get good laptimes, no conspiracy at all. :cool:

#732 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 11,328 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 14:50

Was GIO left out deliberately to help RAI? I listened to the 5Live race review and Palmer reckons he was sacrificed.

He was out if the points I know but seems strange to do this. The cars behind him weren't necessarily a threat to car7 were they?

Not sure why he was left out so long though.

Only speculation.

#733 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 11,328 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 14:52

It was his own. Team told that on radio and adviced him not to throw visors outside of the car anymore but to keep them in cockpit instead.

#734 Oho

Oho

• 9,630 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 18:55

Really, or he started on mediums and had to stay out for feasible single stop with softs for the second stint.... Norris really wasn't a threat and Giovanazzi holding up Norris actually made late stoppers a bigger threat by removing Norris as buffer...

#735 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 996 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 19:03

It was his own. Team told that on radio and adviced him not to throw visors outside of the car anymore but to keep them in cockpit instead.

I'm surprised his Mum hadn't told him.

#736 DrF

DrF

• 2,535 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 21:00

Any predictions for the next race?

#737 haryantofan666

haryantofan666

• 248 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 09:02

I think it will be extremely difficult to get into Q3. Bahrain is mostly straights and slow corners. The Alfa is good on the straights but weak through slow corners. I expect Haas to murder the midfield, especially on the harder c2 tyres like they did at wintertesting. Also Renault has been very good in Bahrain the last few years. They're much better through the slow speed stuff.

Toro Rosso was best of the midfield last year so will be strong again. And Force India also always goes well there.

Kimi is always extremely quick on a Sunday in Bahrain and racepace looked good in Melbourne, so I expect a good race but a difficult quali. Maybe starting p11 and doing M-S will be a good strategy.

#738 Yoshi

Yoshi

• 2,562 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 17:42

[AMuS] For Bahrain Alfa Romeo is expecting another leap forward. In Bahrain Alfa Romeo will bring the update which didn't bring the desired results during the 2nd week of testing. The update is corrected now and it should be introduced in Bahrain!

#F1