Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Alfa Romeo Racing Technical Thread (C38)

• Please log in to reply
896 replies to this topic

#851 Yoshi

Yoshi

• 2,609 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 21:56

Kimi sketched his own break pedals

https://www.motorspo...hanges/4369516/

Advertisement

#852 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 11,567 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:50

Important points, but development is needed.

#853 CrashPad

CrashPad

• 389 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:54

Kimi sketched his own break pedals

https://www.motorspo...hanges/4369516/

:lol:  I remember back around 2005 when Kimi was criticized for being poor at developing the car and not putting in any effort outside the track while Alonso was (allegedly   ;) ) pretty much designing the Renaults. And now Kimi is literally designing parts for his Alfa.

Good race, wonder if they should have pitted Kimi a couple of laps earlier, but solid points still.  :up:

Edited by CrashPad, 14 April 2019 - 07:56.

#854 johnnyw

johnnyw

• 530 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:58

Not great. Some points but car is simply too slow. Giovinazzi has no pace at all, offcourse he has had pretty bad weekend with reliability so not totally hes fault. But still Rai finishing ninth is much higher than true pace of the car, without some major updates really soon point positions will be long gone

#855 Zesus

Zesus

• 901 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:09

Kimi did great, not only today, but in first two races as well. That also shows on driver's championship standings.
Giovanozzi is not impressive at all, as it looks it will take him half of the season to have remarkable race.

#856 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 11,567 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:12

Giovinazzi hasn't got it easy, car has had full of problems and his strategy in races has been quite bad. The guy is fast, if only he would get a clean weekend.

Edited by Vesuvius, 14 April 2019 - 08:12.

#857 WelshSwan

WelshSwan

• 788 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:16

Solid day for Kimi again, his pace really dropped off at the end though as he went from being in Perez's DRS zone to a few seconds over a short space of time. Don't know whether there was a PU issue again or his tyres just fell off the cliff very quickly but still, 9th place is decent and he's put the car in the points again. Gio just needs one decent weekend and a point's finish and I think things will improve for him, he just seems to be lacking in confidence at the moment. Plus despite what many think, Kimi is a decent driver and is dragging every inch of potential out of the car so that makes it look worse for Gio. 

#858 UreaBorealis

UreaBorealis

• 1,968 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:26

Kimi told in post-race interview that the front tyre temperatures fell out of operating window in the end.

#859 Balnazzard

Balnazzard

• 1,805 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 09:46

Well I told you that P9 was entirely realistic yesterday didnt ? :D....Also again Haas being shown poor race pace and Renault having reliability issues with Hulk, so it went was predicted....

Not to brag or anything, but just saying ;D

I think some ppl were simply far too negative the whole weekend....yes if Alfa wants to stay in midfield battle they need to be able to qualify better and also get Gio in the fight for points as well, BUT again let me remind you that Kimi didnt finish that far behind from P7, in every race thus far he has been in fight for the best possible points positions that Alfa could currently possibly achieve. So in that regard I cant quite understand the negativity from some. Well knew midfield was going to be tight so we couldnt also expect that Kimi would be taking max possible points from every race, but so far he is still leading the "best of the rest" race and Alfa shares same points as Renault.

Again obviously they need Gio there as well if they wish to really challenge Renault for P4, cause when they get their reliability problems sorted out, you can except Renault to be there behind Red Bull as 4th best during qualis like they did this weekend and be quite strong in the race as well for P7-P8 if they can finish the race without troubles.

Advertisement

#860 Pitlane

Pitlane

• 577 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 14:51

There was alot of circumstances that made things easier this race, and yet we "only" got p9. Had kvyat not thrown away his race it would have been a p10 considering Albons pace.

The Haas was again nowhere in the race, wich is odd considering they said they found out some "interesting things" in the last test. I was expecting them to be faster, and then both mclarens were hit the first lap, even if they were unlikely to be fighting for points this race, and last but not least the problem hulk had, i know kimi was already ahead him but considering richardo was more or less at alfas pace it was possibly an issue that could have hampered his performance aswell.

Still, Kimi is doing really well, and as i said before the season a p7 would be like a win, but he is almost to clean in his driving, if theres a opening for a pass he will go for it, but he doesnt push enough to pressure the others to misstakes imo, he doesnt create the pass oportunity so to speak.

Another thing is hes really playing by the book, i mean i doubt theres even a need to blue flag him as hes already giving way before that happens, costing him time compared to the usual midfield suspects like perez. Now no one can really blame him for it, but its not doing him any favours, i guess its a result of being in a top team for so long having to deal with people not respecting the drivers in a championship fight.

Thay said, the haas will solve their issues with race pace, the renault will get reliable, mclaren has already shown huge progress and i expect it to continue due to their resources, racing point is supposedly going to have huge updates comming up and the toro rosso is clearly a pretty nice car, Alfa needs to get updates comming and they cant afford to down the wrong route on any of them if they are to remain in the top midfiled, no matter how much Kimi will wrestle out of the car.

Edited by Pitlane, 14 April 2019 - 14:54.

#861 Erik89

Erik89

• 80 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 16:09

Great race by Kimi again. Too bad Norris badly disrupted his chase of Ricciardo and Perez in the end. I think he would have gotten Perez. Giovinazzi needs a clean weekend asap before hes shattered mentally.

7200948b.jpg

#862 haryantofan666

haryantofan666

• 327 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 16:31

I think expectations are way too high. After wintertesting the only reliable data, the racesims, pointed to Alfa being 7th fastest team, only just in front of Toro Rosso and Racing Point. Now Toro Rosso looks much faster in the opening races than wintertesting so it's not unreasonable to think Alfa are 8th fastest at the moment, only in front of Racing Point.

Luckily Alfa is the only midfield team with a top driver so results look very good. But Gio is looking very bad compared to the other rookies. But then again, going up against arguably the most talented driver on the grid with 16 years of F1 experience, good luck! 

Edited by haryantofan666, 14 April 2019 - 16:32.

#863 Pitlane

Pitlane

• 577 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 17:44

Great race by Kimi again. Too bad Norris badly disrupted his chase of Ricciardo and Perez in the end. I think he would have gotten Perez. Giovinazzi needs a clean weekend asap before hes shattered mentally.

7200948b.jpg

Indeed he needs to get some results soon, it must be very frustrating considering his teammate sees F1 more or less like a hobby nowdays.

Meanwhile Gio is supposed to have all ahead of him, yet his side of the garage hasnt got things together at all so far.

#864 SpeedRacer`

SpeedRacer`

• 1,187 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 20:29

Kimi had a nice tyre delta and pace at the beginning of the second stint before even before he caught Perez, his pace wasn't quite as impressive as I was expecting.

His first stint though was excellent, I suspect he's getting more out of that car than should really be expected.

#865 Beannie

Beannie

• 45 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 02:39

Will the new rear wing be ready by Baku? 

#866 DrF

DrF

• 2,552 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 14:17

Will the new rear wing be ready by Baku?

Hope so, but will it be needed? Parts are fairly track specific aren't they?

#867 tigerkimi

tigerkimi

• 72 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 08:04

Are there any news about new developments of the car?

#868 Pitlane

Pitlane

• 577 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 14:30

Yeah, seems this thread is a good summary of the updates ;)

#869 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 6,476 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 14:56

Yeah, seems this thread is a good summary of the updates ;)

:lol:

There was a new rear wing in Barcelona apparently.

#870 DrF

DrF

• 2,552 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 05:10

So, was Spain an anomaly, or is this really where AR is likely to be from now on? Very little information coming from the team.

#871 tom

tom

• 3,218 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:54

Not holding much hope for a step up at Monaco, looked at best sector times in the 3rd sector at Barcelona and Kimi's was 1sec off the mercs..and only Gio, Perez, Stroll and Williams were slower.
3rd sector should be a good example of grip needed in monaco?

#872 Starish

Starish

• 1,338 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 15:59

I see this weekend as a write off, maybe gain some setup knowledge at most. I am looking forward to canada, I think Alfa can do well there in low DF spec. 

#873 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 11,567 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:02

Not holding much hope for a step up at Monaco, looked at best sector times in the 3rd sector at Barcelona and Kimi's was 1sec off the mercs..and only Gio, Perez, Stroll and Williams were slower.
3rd sector should be a good example of grip needed in monaco?

Everybody always talk about Barcelona 3rd sector being indication how the car works at Monaco, but in reality it's not. Ferrari has been competitive at Monaco recent years, despitate sucking at 3rd sector at Barcelona.

I don't think it will be a good track for Alfa, but Kimi is still good around Monaco, so lets see and hope for surprise.

Montreal should be better, they will get a new PU there.

#874 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 11,567 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:26

According to paddock rumours and Italian sources, Simone Resta will move back to Ferrari sometime during summer, they desperately need him .

#875 tom

tom

• 3,218 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:54

Well the last sector was nothing like Monaco before they ruined it a few years back..but these days its tight as, I realise they'd have higher downforce for monaco though.
Fair enough I hope you're right, thought from pre season testing Alfa were better at high speed corners is all.
That's why I'm dreading another shocking race.

#876 Yoshi

Yoshi

• 2,609 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:57

According to paddock rumours and Italian sources, Simone Resta will move back to Ferrari sometime during summer, they desperately need him .

Hmmm :(

#877 Taxi

Taxi

• 3,737 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 08:37

I actually think the Alfa will be more competitive in short circuits like Monaco, Austria, Hungary or Interlagos. The field is tight and Kimi may have 1 or 2 tenths that puts him above 4 or 5 cars. 

#878 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 6,476 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:16

...and let's not forget, it's the 300th GP for the Iceman :)

#879 TheJammin

TheJammin

• 325 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:17

I think Kimi would prefer it if you forgot... haha.

Advertisement

#880 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 6,476 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:20

I think Kimi would prefer it if you forgot... haha.

Indeed:

"I tried to prevent everything [the festivities] but didn't have much success yet."

https://www.auto-mot...nen-300-rennen/

:lol:

Edited by Jovanotti, 23 May 2019 - 09:20.

#881 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 6,476 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 10:21

New ICE, TC and MGU-H for the Alfa boys already this weekend

https://www.fia.com/.../download/27729

#882 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 11,567 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 13:50

Alfa seems much stronger here, both cars seems to be in a fight to get in q3. Interesting that they took the PU updates already for Monaco after all.

#883 haryantofan666

haryantofan666

• 327 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 14:33

Alfa's pace is a nice surprise. Also Gio looks very quick which is good to see. I was expecting Renault/Toro Rosso and Haas to fight for Q3, but somehow Renault underperformed big time.

#884 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 816 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 14:47

Alfa's pace is a nice surprise. Also Gio looks very quick which is good to see. I was expecting Renault/Toro Rosso and Haas to fight for Q3, but somehow Renault underperformed big time.

No, Renault just performed at their true level.

#885 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 7,427 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 15:49

Gio finally very fast since FP1. He needs a good result for a much needed morale boost. 

Edited by thegamer23, 23 May 2019 - 15:50.

#886 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 816 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 15:52

That soccer game has done GIO wonders....

#887 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 6,476 posts

Posted Today, 10:46

Sauber need to capitalise on their form this weekend. Both cars in the top 10 today and tomorrow hopefully.

#888 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 11,567 posts

Posted Today, 11:07

Looks good, needs to nail the laps though, it's close. Kimi didn't really get good clean laps in second set of tyres, so more to come from him, Giovinazzi looking good too. In monaco it's possible to improve after several laps on same set of tyres, so will be interesting qualifying.

Closest competitors seems to be Toro Rosso and Haas drivers.

Edited by Vesuvius, Today, 11:08.

#889 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 7,427 posts

Posted Today, 12:53

Come on Giovi!!
Hope for a finally good quali

#890 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 6,476 posts

Posted Today, 13:42

Well ****

#891 Starish

Starish

• 1,338 posts

Posted Today, 13:46

I expected a bad weekend, but then they did so good in Free practice that i really got my hopes up. 

#892 johnnyw

johnnyw

• 530 posts

Posted Today, 13:48

No idea what happened beetween fp3 & qual,but alfa bust didnt gain as much as others. Pretty poor qual again :(

#893 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 11,567 posts

Posted Today, 13:51

Must be that warmer the weather the worse they will do, they just don't get the tyres working.

#894 dreamer

dreamer

• 1,810 posts

Posted Today, 14:37

Let's hope for something better tomorrow

#895 Starish

Starish

• 1,338 posts

Posted Today, 14:48

Let's hope for something better tomorrow

Its Monaco, unless it rains.... lets look to Canada with usually cooler temps and high speed. Updates are needed, everyone who brought major upgrades are dialing  them in and leaving us behind.

#896 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 11,567 posts

Posted Today, 14:51

Kimi said there is simply not enough pace on the car, this is reality atm.

#897 aray

aray

• 4,023 posts

Posted Today, 16:21

Must be that warmer the weather the worse they will do, they just don't get the tyres working.

That's baffling, as warmer the temperature easier for the tyre to heat up. I think it is other way around, they can simply heat up the tyre better in lower temperature than the rivals.But at higher temperature everybody achieving the same and hence their other weaknesses are getting exposed. Compared to morning practice, everybody improved by half a second at least during qualifying barring Alfa.

Edited by aray, Today, 16:22.