Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Alfa Romeo Racing Technical Thread (C38)

• Please log in to reply
1251 replies to this topic

#1201 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 11,952 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 14:45

Kimi said:

"It was pretty normal qualifying, I made a one mistake in q2 on my first lap but other than that was able to good laps and final lap was very good but sadly this is the reality and we aren't fast enough.

It was a difficult because of the weather that kept on changing, sometimes sun shined and sometimes it went behind clouds, because of this temperatures changed and it was sometimes hard to find the grip that used to be there ln other laps."

Advertisement

#1202 sniper80

sniper80

• 910 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 14:58

At least the Iceman is in Q3!

#1203 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 11,952 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 16:14

3 grid penalty for Giovinazzi, atm will start from P17.

#1204 Fallout

Fallout

• 467 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 20:22

So happy with Kimi's performance once again. And Alfa really are starting to gain little by little on McLaren, so hopefully they can take the fight for 4th/5th till the end of the season. Impressive stuff all around. Giovinazzi still missing a bit in terms of speed and consistency, but he's learning and could hopefully haul some points in the second half of the season.

I'm a bit out of the loop on what upgrades Alfa have brought to the car over the last few races. Anyone with a quick recap?

#1205 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 11,952 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 10:40

Alfa Romeo's Beate Zehnder praises Kimi's technical understanding in TS:

"It's big advantage for us, that Kimi's technical understanding of the car is absolut top level.I was very surprised that we got him back to the team and now I'm very happy that we can develop the car together with him."

#1206 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 11,952 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 10:42

So happy with Kimi's performance once again. And Alfa really are starting to gain little by little on McLaren, so hopefully they can take the fight for 4th/5th till the end of the season. Impressive stuff all around. Giovinazzi still missing a bit in terms of speed and consistency, but he's learning and could hopefully haul some points in the second half of the season.

I'm a bit out of the loop on what upgrades Alfa have brought to the car over the last few races. Anyone with a quick recap?

These are what I have heard or seen :
New front wing, new nose, new floor, bagreboard winglets and tested spa rear wing.

#1207 johnnyw

johnnyw

• 572 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 14:51

Very solid race from Kimi. Nice start and girst corners, pace on softs was really good, not so much with mediums.

#1208 JRodrigues

JRodrigues

• 908 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 14:54

Very solid race from Kimi. Nice start and girst corners, pace on softs was really good, not so much with mediums.

He actually stayed within the same distance to Sainz who had hards, through 39 laps.

#1209 barzini

barzini

• 1,845 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 14:54

Kimi dominating midfield as usual. Give him that McLaren and he would be ahead of Gasly in WDC.

#1210 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 11,952 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 15:01

Great race from Kimi, team sleeped again with pitstop timing and Gasly undercut him, so there is something to think about. Kimi kept well Bottas behind.
Kimi's start/first lap has been great for several weekends in a row.
Difficult race for Giovinazzi.

Edited by Vesuvius, 04 August 2019 - 15:03.

#1211 Starish

Starish

• 1,370 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 15:12

Honestly just outperforming the car AND the team. Everyone needs to get on his level. 

Right now SPA and Monza should really suit the car and they need to maximize points over Mclaren and rGasly there. P6 should be the target.

#1212 barzini

barzini

• 1,845 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 15:17

Apparently Kimi's team radio after the race:

Julien: “P7, fantastic race, fantastic first lap. Great defense with Bottas.”

Beat: “You’re a legend.”

Kimi: “Thank you.”

Good to see that Alfa Romeo appreciates what they got.

#1213 JG

JG

• 242 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 15:22

So when will Gio be replaced? Great stuff from Kimi!

#1214 lahill

lahill

• 397 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 15:31

Kimi fantastic again.

#1215 anyeis

anyeis

• 1,449 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 15:33

The zero points from germany wont maybe mean much. Mclaren is too far ahead with both drivers. Rest is beatable

Edited by anyeis, 04 August 2019 - 15:33.

#1216 Trust

Trust

• 4,856 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 15:33

Thank you Kimi.

#1217 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 6,749 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 15:38

Amazing race again, beat one McLaren and Bottas, and should have had Gasly as well if the strategy team wasn't asleep. Highlight was the pass on Gasly around the outside of T2 on the opening lap :up:
I believe at one point there was a chance to undercut both Norris and Sainz plus keep Gasly behind, but it is what it is. I hope Hockenheim won't bite them in the ass in the WCC.
Giovinazzi needs to up his game.

Edited by Jovanotti, 04 August 2019 - 15:40.

#1218 Starish

Starish

• 1,370 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 15:39

The zero points from germany wont maybe mean much. Mclaren is too far ahead with both drivers. Rest is beatable

Honestly, we need both cars in the points, we can't compete with Mclaren if 1 car is too inconsistent. Sainz and Noris are always too close together.

#1219 barzini

barzini

• 1,845 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 15:42

Does Alfa really have any alternatives for Giovinazzi? I think they are stuck with him anyway. 

Advertisement

#1220 Balnazzard

Balnazzard

• 1,840 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 15:54

Well it depends entirely on how well they managed to stay in that fight for points....they might be very valuable against Renault, Toro Rosso, Force India or maybe even Haas at the end of the season, you may never know. But for sure 5th is entirely realistic target for Alfa, especially if Gio can pull of better results more often.

Kimi is definitely getting the maximum out of the car almost on every weekend, so it was indeed very important for Alfa to have him this season. Without him Alfa likely would be only 9th by clear margin to others ahead.

#1221 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 2,160 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 16:12

Raikkonen doing it again. Keeping Bottas on fresher tires at bay and finishing just a couple seconds behind pole-sitting car.

#1222 Balnazzard

Balnazzard

• 1,840 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 16:17

Raikkonen doing it again. Keeping Bottas on fresher tires at bay and finishing just a couple seconds behind pole-sitting car.

Kimi would do so much better in either of those cars.....but like said, he is the perfect driver for Alfa and Alfa is very likely much better place for him to be than team mate of either Max or Lewis.

#1223 AlexS

AlexS

• 4,963 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 17:18

When Kimi opinion is valued and it is acted upon it he delivers. Now when they shut him down and just don't care he goes down.

#1224 Massa

Massa

• 7,249 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 17:52

Kimi is driving like a top driver this year.

#1225 tigerkimi

tigerkimi

• 78 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 06:16

HE IS A TOP DRIVER!!

#1226 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 6,749 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 11:33

https://youtu.be/3zpUGaakAzw

Interview with Zehnder which was mentioned here before :up:

#1227 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 11,952 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 23:59

Kimi said to TS that he will continue with the PU that was changed before Hockenheim race, so no new PU for him to Spa or Monza.

#1228 baddog

baddog

• 27,016 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 00:42

Kimi has been driving the wheels off that thing. Worn out and slow my arse.

#1229 Celloman

Celloman

• 784 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 00:55

He is delivering the same way as in Lotus years. Question is why didn't he manage to extract the same out of the Ferrari, except timewise in 2016 and in late 2018? It's interesting that also Bottas in Mercedes doesn't look as good as he did in Williams, Leclerc is making mistakes in Ferrari he didn't make in Sauber and Gasly when he moved up to Red Bull started to perform worse.

#1230 baddog

baddog

• 27,016 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 01:14

He is delivering the same way as in Lotus years. Question is why didn't he manage to extract the same out of the Ferrari, except timewise in 2016 and in late 2018? It's interesting that also Bottas in Mercedes doesn't look as good as he did in Williams, Leclerc is making mistakes in Ferrari he didn't make in Sauber and Gasly when he moved up to Red Bull started to perform worse.

Maybe he drove just fine there? Its harder the higher up you go because your teammate is Lewis or Seb or Fernando?

#1231 AlexS

AlexS

• 4,963 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 02:06

He was wasted in Ferrari, i remember a story that he warned something was not okay with the car development , no one listened and later they reached same conclusion by other means but much later.

#1232 WelshSwan

WelshSwan

• 818 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 02:10

For one thing, less pressure. I know he's called the Iceman and all but at Ferrari the expectation is so high, at Alfa if they get a point as it stands it's considered a good thing. Secondly, he is pretty much the team leader at Alfa, at least that is how it sounds anyway. He gives input, they listen to him and implement it so I think he is finding himself far more comfortable with the car. Thirdly, I honestly think his patient driving style helps when it comes to racing in the midfield. We have seen SO many incidents involving midfield drivers this year and Kimi has not been involved in any of them, to me that says a lot.

Lastly, he's been far more aggressive at the race starts this year. Personally I believe it's because he knows he doesn't have the top car behind him to make up places if he loses them at the start so his best bet to make up places is at the beginning of a race, consequently we are seeing better lap ones for him this year. 

#1233 WelshSwan

WelshSwan

• 818 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 02:13

He was wasted in Ferrari, i remember a story that he warned something was not okay with the car development , no one listened and later they reached same conclusion by other means but much later.

I wouldn't dare post this in the Ferrari thread for fear of being laughed at but I do wonder if part of Ferrari's struggles this year, not a big part I hasten to add, is the fact that they haven't got Kimi in the team now. It's widely known that Kimi is one of the best, if not the best of the current grid, at technical feedback and that is SO important these days. Indeed, Alfa keep talking about how much info Kimi has been able to give them and how that has helped them massively in terms of developing the car.

#1234 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 6,749 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 04:53

I wouldn't dare post this in the Ferrari thread for fear of being laughed at but I do wonder if part of Ferrari's struggles this year, not a big part I hasten to add, is the fact that they haven't got Kimi in the team now. It's widely known that Kimi is one of the best, if not the best of the current grid, at technical feedback and that is SO important these days. Indeed, Alfa keep talking about how much info Kimi has been able to give them and how that has helped them massively in terms of developing the car.

It doesn't help them, that's for sure.

#1235 RA2

RA2

• 1,163 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 07:29

So when will Gio be replaced? 

Makes more sense for Alfa (FCA) to have a US driver than Haas 

#1236 FunBobby

FunBobby

• 169 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 13:12

I'd love to see Kimi's first lap from onboard view. And also his defend against Bottas.

#1237 GlueAndTar

GlueAndTar

• 19 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 16:15

Another awesome race by Kimi. The team and the fans really needed that going into the summer break.

Was looking at some stats from the 1st part of the season.

Quali battle goes to Kimi with 6-4, with the average gap of -0.037s. The C38 averages at P11-13.

Saturdays flatter GIO next to Kimi as much as the Iceman Sunday school embarrasses him.

Edited by GlueAndTar, 06 August 2019 - 16:15.

#1238 DrF

DrF

• 2,556 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 17:45

How many DNFs has Alfa had this year? Not a lot I don't think. GIO has had one or two incidents, but I think. Can't remember RAI having any

Not bad at all

Pity about the debacle weekend before last, they really needed those points. Has the appeal come back yet?

#1239 shure

shure

• 464 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 18:11

How many DNFs has Alfa had this year? Not a lot I don't think. GIO has had one or two incidents, but I think. Can't remember RAI having any

Not bad at all

Pity about the debacle weekend before last, they really needed those points. Has the appeal come back yet?

^September

Advertisement

#1240 Taxi

Taxi

• 3,793 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 18:16

I also think the lack of Kimi's  feedback is hurting Ferrari quite bad. Charles might be quicker over one lap right now, but technicaly Kimi has more experience and clear ideas. Plus, Seb became a bit abandoned too has he was used to having the old fox working for the team. Charles is just a hot gun.  

#1241 Perfection

Perfection

• 568 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 19:23

I'd love to see Kimi's first lap from onboard view. And also his defend against Bottas.

https://streamable.com/nj8l5

#1242 AlexS

AlexS

• 4,963 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 19:45

The car still does not put the power down well.

Edit.

To add that the only car that i see the drivers doing what they want is the Redbull, the others some more, some less always seem there are situations where the things even in dry can end in tears.

Edited by AlexS, 06 August 2019 - 19:57.

#1243 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 6,749 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 20:22

https://streamable.com/nj8l5

Around the outside of Gasly and almost got a McLaren as well. Perfect.

Shame indeed, with the Hockenheim points they'd be heading for P5 in the constructors, which would be pretty amazing coming from last year.

Edited by Jovanotti, 06 August 2019 - 20:25.

#1244 Niceman

Niceman

• 830 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 20:25

It's dead simple.  Alfa are listening to him.  Every time a team engineers Kimi properly you get truly outstanding performance.  Ferrari only ever really achieved this when Todt was around and for that period when Massa was injured.

I think if you put Kimi in the Red Bull you would get glimpses of Mclaren speed again, or at least as much as the Pirelli fronts will allow.

Edited by Niceman, 09 August 2019 - 20:25.

#1245 Yoshi

Yoshi

• 2,725 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:50

https://www.auto-mot...ant-alfa-romeo/

Raikkonen drives a good season. Without highlights, but also without outliers down. The iceman delivers. If his car is good for points, he will bring it. The 39-year-old Finn is no longer the fastest, but he plays his routine in every race situation. Command post and garage do not have to control it remotely. "The Kimi does it all alone," says Zehnder.

Alfa Romeo is impressed by the racing intelligence and the overview of his pilot. "Kimi understands everything. The engineers discuss with each other, whether we need to change the engine setting. At that very moment, Kimi changes it by himself. He knows exactly what he has to do when. "In other words, Raikkonen masters the highly complex hybrid technology, and not the other way round.

#1246 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 6,749 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 09:13

"Without highlights" - if qualifying P5 and running P3 on merit in the race in a fricking Sauber is no highlight, I don't know what is. It certainly was for me.

#1247 Taxi

Taxi

• 3,793 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 09:58

Actually the article says what we think around here: kimi's not the outright fastest anymore but he's a master technician who needs no one to tell him what to do. He'll be very precise and wise in tactics and driving. As long as the team does what he asks he'll be collecting points and beating faster cars. 

#1248 Jape65

Jape65

• 88 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:13

The fastest driver is obviously not the best driver. Schumi is an example of this.

#1249 Taxi

Taxi

• 3,793 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:14

Schumi was the fastest post Senna except when he was joint fastest with hakkinen for two or 3 seasons. 

#1250 DrF

DrF

• 2,556 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 05:46

That's a long way of saying he knows what he is doing.

Has the appeal come back yet? Alfa desperately needs those points!

Edited by DrF, 14 August 2019 - 05:49.