* * * * - 10 votes

Ferrari Technical Thread (SF90)

• Please log in to reply
6009 replies to this topic

#5851 Goron3

Goron3

• 1,212 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 12:40

I'm genuinely optimistic for next year as things stand.it seems as though the Ferrari concept has more development potential than first thought, especially as Mercedes seem to have a bit of wall in terms of one lap pace. It does feel as though it's easier to add downforce than it is to remove drag at the expensive of downforce. 

I'm not too confident about Mexico but COTA and Brazil should be strong races for Ferrari.

Advertisement

#5852 CL16

CL16

• 1,183 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 17:01

https://pbs.twimg.co...iBRE?format=jpg

#5853 Unicast

Unicast

• 1,352 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 20:02

I'm genuinely optimistic for next year as things stand.it seems as though the Ferrari concept has more development potential than first thought, especially as Mercedes seem to have a bit of wall in terms of one lap pace. It does feel as though it's easier to add downforce than it is to remove drag at the expensive of downforce. 

I'm not too confident about Mexico but COTA and Brazil should be strong races for Ferrari.

Next year we will kick some serious Merc arse :D

We will be very strong in Mexico because now we have downforce & efficiency, I think we can win there.

#5854 Astandahl

Astandahl

• 714 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 21:48

Amazing pic but these cars have way to much DWF.

We need more cars much more grip limited.

Edited by Astandahl, 21 October 2019 - 21:48.

#5855 femi

femi

• 7,422 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 09:25

Next year we will kick some serious Merc arse :D

We will be very strong in Mexico because now we have downforce & efficiency, I think we can win there.

Good luck with that one. FYI, Merc's arse are lined with sharp teeth. Bring it on!

#5856 Clatter

Clatter

• 36,052 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 09:51

What a car this has become.

2020 should be fun!

As long as they don't cock it up, start with a problem, and take half the season to sort it out again.

#5857 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 7,421 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 16:32

Good luck with that one. FYI, Merc's arse are lined with sharp teeth. Bring it on!

Mercedes is easy work.

The main team Ferrari have to beat next season will be Ferrari. That's the toughest battle of all.

#5858 ferrarista

ferrarista

• 1,047 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 21:27

https://translate.go...wJ74CgGFY1q1s6w

#5859 Shade

Shade

• 786 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 04:46

just for once let's not screw this up

Advertisement

#5860 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 4,346 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 05:29

Mercedes is easy work.

Manufacturers Champion 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019.

Sure... easy work.

Edited by Gary Davies, 27 October 2019 - 05:30.

#5861 ferrarista

ferrarista

• 1,047 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 08:46

super competitive also in Mexico, maybe the worst of the remaining tracks

#5862 ferrarista

ferrarista

• 1,047 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 08:55

also couldn’t watch the quali, do we know in a clean second run how Seb would have compared to the 1:14:7 of Verstappen? I read he was improving, but the yellows prevented it; maybe would have got pole or a tenth behind Ves? Just asking to understand.

#5863 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 5,626 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 09:08

also couldn’t watch the quali, do we know in a clean second run how Seb would have compared to the 1:14:7 of Verstappen? I read he was improving, but the yellows prevented it; maybe would have got pole or a tenth behind Ves? Just asking to understand.

Was never going to beat him, but second would have been relatively comfortable.

#5864 ferrarista

ferrarista

• 1,047 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 10:29

Was never going to beat him, but second would have been relatively comfortable.

thanks

https://www.formula1...Hh9CIaekJb.html

Seb “ I think with a clean lap we could have challenged him.”

Anyway to be so competitive against Red Bull at mexico is another tremendous achievement of the team; apparently, as Amus reports, they have put more DF to be better in the corners (sacrificing partly the quali).

#5865 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 21,219 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 10:42

super competitive also in Mexico, maybe the worst of the remaining tracks

Must admit I'm very surprised. Race runs on Friday were very strong, too.

Seems Ferrari's only weakness atm is tyres, not graining like we have today, but literal tyre wear.

#5866 Shade

Shade

• 786 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 20:53

That's what we get when we don't try the Hards on Fridays. Ferrari were clueless about their durability and speed.

#5867 Astandahl

Astandahl

• 714 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 20:56

This team is a joke. A complete joke. I'm starting to believe that they are doing it on purpose.

Edited by Astandahl, 27 October 2019 - 20:56.

#5868 Shade

Shade

• 786 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 21:00

EH6dfLLXUAAVomG.jpg

#5869 Tosh

Tosh

• 404 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 21:03

So many pole positions... I have no hope left. Even if we have the best car next year we would find a way to lose it.

Edited by Tosh, 27 October 2019 - 21:04.

#5870 Unicast

Unicast

• 1,352 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 21:10

So many pole positions... I have no hope left. Even if we have the best car next year we would find a way to lose it.

We have the fastest car in qualy but we have a lot more work to do on tires & race pace... Strategy is also mediocre most of the time but I know Binotto will watch carefully and come up with the right solutions for next year. I rather we do everything wrong this year and everything right the next one when it matters!

#5871 Massa

Massa

• 7,525 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 21:11

You can't start 1-2 and lose the race like that

Leclerc strategy was baffling. It first I thought it was a great strategy and that Leclerc would easily overtake but in fact track position was king on this track.

They let Hamilton undercut Vettel and fell into the Red Bull trap with Albon.

Unbealivable.

#5872 Massa

Massa

• 7,525 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 21:14

This team is a joke. A complete joke. I'm starting to believe that they are doing it on purpose.

I'm starting to believe you are doing this on purpose. The team did a wonderful job to turn around things, without the Singapore update we would be fighting for 5-6.

That team put the car on pole at all track since the summer break, we are still in damage limitation mode and despite that the team put the car at least on the podium and on pole on Saturday.

Yes the strategist are bad, but at least the team is improving and learning from their mistakes. For the first time in many years we outdevelopp everybody this year.

You were the first to ask for Binotto head before the summer break IIRC so please, look at the big picture instead of crying

#5873 Astandahl

Astandahl

• 714 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 21:22

I'm starting to believe you are doing this on purpose. The team did a wonderful job to turn around things, without the Singapore update we would be fighting for 5-6.

That team put the car on pole at all track since the summer break, we are still in damage limitation mode and despite that the team put the car at least on the podium and on pole on Saturday.

Yes the strategist are bad, but at least the team is improving and learning from their mistakes. For the first time in many years we outdevelopp everybody this year.

You were the first to ask for Binotto head before the summer break IIRC so please, look at the big picture instead of crying

I asked for the heads of the Ferrari "top" management not Binotto ( because they've reduced resources for the F1 team since 2007 ) . I' m still asking for them to be fired. We went from by far the best team to a ridicolous one famous for the massive mistakes during pit stop and strategies.

I already said that they did a great job with the car considering the start ( i still don't understand how one car can go from losing 1 second in 5 corners to be competitive in an entire lap but i'm not an engineer so )  but at the same i realized even more that this team will simply never win. There is no way you can throw away a race like this one without a DNF or a massive driver mistake.

Edited by Astandahl, 27 October 2019 - 21:35.

#5874 Unicast

Unicast

• 1,352 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 21:27

Frustrating year but we are showing glimpsys of a winning team... The last step is the hardest one to make. We need a much more consistent car next year and we need to make a leap in our strategy making process.
Next year we will see if the team has learned the lessons from this year's mistakes.
There is reason for being optimistic for next year.

#5875 iakhtar

iakhtar

• 227 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 21:33

The Ferrari clown show first visited me in the 2008 Singapore gp, since then it has been a most regular event, the only release was the Brawn years and that aint ever happening again.

#5876 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 7,421 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 21:35

The strategy is bad now and was bad before. 

We have the fastest car in qualy but we have a lot more work to do on tires & race pace... Strategy is also mediocre most of the time but I know Binotto will watch carefully and come up with the right solutions for next year. I rather we do everything wrong this year and everything right the next one when it matters!

I think we both know the route Ferrari will take: do it wrong this season, then go and do it wrong again next season

#5877 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 7,421 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 21:36

The Ferrari clown show first visited me in the 2008 Singapore gp, since then it has been a most regular event, the only release was the Brawn years and that aint ever happening again.

Under Pat Fry, the operations and strategy was good, in the Alonso years. But of course the car was then a lemon.

#5878 rodlamas

rodlamas

• 10,133 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 21:38

The strategy was not only worse because Vettel challenged his team and stayed when he was called in.

#5879 steferrari

steferrari

• 1,198 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 21:44

Track position.
Track position.
Track position.

Advertisement

#5880 Astandahl

Astandahl

• 714 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 21:49

Bahrein gifted to Hamilton

Canada gifted to Hamilton

Sochi gifted to Hamilton

:rotfl: :stoned: :rotfl:

#5881 Hela

Hela

• 590 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 22:21

Bahrein gifted to Hamilton

Canada gifted to Hamilton

Sochi gifted to Hamilton

:rotfl: :stoned: :rotfl:

Ferrari, the gift that keeps on giving  :drunk:

Edited by Hela, 27 October 2019 - 22:23.

#5882 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 20,586 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 00:57

I dont know why I keep watching.  

There's always this hope Ferrari might *finally*, for once this season, run a clean race, and they go and clean screw up both drivers after an all front row start.  

It's absurd.  This is the worst operational team from Ferrari since the farcical 90's.  And it'd be much more tolerable if the car wasn't capable of winning.  Yea, Merc still has much better race pace and tire wear, but Ferrari just keep HANDING Mercedes wins over and over when there's at least strong chances of victory.  I dont think I've ever seen anything like it.  

#5883 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 20,586 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 00:58

The strategy was not only worse because Vettel challenged his team and stayed when he was called in.

He had already lost that position.  The mistake was, as usual, letting the opposition undercut them instead of having the mind to react first and for ONCE understand the value of freakin track position.  smh

#5884 OO7

OO7

• 19,241 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 02:17

Ferrari, the gift that keeps on giving  :drunk:

And after those "gifts" we'll be told the Mercedes was the faster car in those races.

Edited by OO7, 28 October 2019 - 02:17.

#5885 Claymore25

Claymore25

• 194 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 03:02

No. Vettel decided the long run after he lost the undercut.

#5886 IridiumBoy

IridiumBoy

• 57 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 03:37

Red Bull, baiting Ferrari since Abu Dhabi 2010 

#5887 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 1,753 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 04:52

Amazing how Ferrari can prove that you don't need a fastest car to win a race. How they threw out 1-2 is just unbelievable. In theory, they hardly had any threat considering the best car, Max and red bull were not in the mix at the start of the race, and yet the pit management somehow must find a way to kuck things up as usual. Never learn. 

#5888 cokata

cokata

• 1,225 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 05:23

The biggest problem Ferrari have right now is that the quicker driver in the race almost always gets outqualified by his teammate. This is a huge problem. Had vettel been in front in the first stint it would have been an easy win.

#5889 baddog

baddog

• 27,324 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 06:30

The biggest problem Ferrari have right now is that the quicker driver in the race almost always gets outqualified by his teammate. This is a huge problem. Had vettel been in front in the first stint it would have been an easy win.

eh I think thats a reach, this weekend it was just luck that Vettel, who was also the fastest driver on Saturday, wasnt the one on pole. 

Ferraris problems are:

Bad car early on and took too long to fix it.

Too many bad strat calls and too much silly team bullshit.

Too many errors from both drivers.

Fix any two and boom, WDC

#5890 jey16

jey16

• 308 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 06:59

I fee like this team finds a way to lose, so disappointing

Why would you cover Albon? Leave LeClerc out and pit him to cover Hamilton and you keep Vettel out in case of a safety car

It’s clear that they didn’t have enough information on the hards too see that they would last as long as they did

#5891 shure

shure

• 1,483 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 08:20

On a side note, the way that Vettel managed to make it look as though Bottas didn't even have DRS was impressive.  The sheer grunt of that Ferrari is something special.

I think some of the finger pointing at Ferrari is unwarranted on this occasion.  Goodness knows they have screwed things up in the past but this time the tyres took them all by surprise.  And not just them, tbh.  I think no-one was more surprised than Hamilton...

#5892 OneAndOnly

OneAndOnly

• 774 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 09:33

Hards were on the same pace level like mediums, except they had no degradation. Basically what I saw yesterday is that drivers who spent most time on hards profited the most. Only f..k up Ferrari did this weekend happened on friday when they didn't bother to evaluate hard compound. If they did, they'd put Leclerc on them which would cover both Albon's two stopper and Hamilton's one stopper. It could've been easy win for Leclerc. 

#5893 Astandahl

Astandahl

• 714 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 09:35

I didn't see a lot of difference in pace between Seb and Charles.

#5894 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 6,737 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 09:45

I didn't see a lot of difference in pace between Seb and Charles.

Which also might be because Charles sets a slow pace (to help his tires probably). The biggest problem is that Charles can't make the tires last. Which limits his and Ferrari's options during a race.

#5895 Astandahl

Astandahl

• 714 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 09:48

Which also might be because Charles sets a slow pace (to help his tires probably). The biggest problem is that Charles can't make the tires last. Which limits his and Ferrari's options during a race.

His tyres were working fine in the first stint and the pace was very good. He also said in the post race in the interview that he should have made it clear he could have gone longer at the beginning.  I don't think he would have struggled to reach at least lap 25 with the first set.

Also his third stint was very  good. Even with the early pit stop he probably would have won the race with the hard tyres.

Edited by Astandahl, 28 October 2019 - 09:52.

#5896 Marklar

Marklar

• 34,204 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 09:49

Apparently Vettel was on the limit with fuel yesterday, hence why he couldnt use higher engine modes to launch a attack on Hamilton.

#5897 Hela

Hela

• 590 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 10:08

Apparently Vettel was on the limit with fuel yesterday, hence why he couldnt use higher engine modes to launch a attack on Hamilton.

Which means that Ferrari strategy was heavily invested in a safety car at some point. Maybe that's why Vettel went so much longer with the mediums in the first stint 

#5898 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 9,640 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 21:35

This may have been mentioned before, but I noticed in the race that the Ferraris manage to get the rear of the car very low to the ground when in a straight line and rise the car back up to the typical high rake position under braking and in the corners. I see it happening with most cars, but its very pronounced on the Ferrari. Is this something that helps with straight line speed, as the wing angle will become shallower when the rear of the car gets lower?

Edited by DanardiF1, 28 October 2019 - 21:36.

#5899 Enzoluis

Enzoluis

• 1,741 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 22:42

I dont know why I keep watching.  

It's absurd.  This is the worst operational team from Ferrari since the farcical 90's. 

No, they didn’t sent the cars on wet tires with the sun yet.

Advertisement

#5900 HPT

HPT

• 1,570 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 00:43

No, they didn’t sent the cars on wet tires with the sun yet.

I forgot which race but they already did that with Kimi once!