* * * * - 10 votes

Ferrari Technical Thread (SF90)

• Please log in to reply
6071 replies to this topic

#51 Anja

Anja

• 4,444 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 14:15

If it was good enough for Alonso back in 2002, it's certainly good enough for Monsieur Ocon.

The point is, he already has a better role with Merc, being their test and reserve driver. Why would he swap that for doing mere simulator work for Ferrari?

Advertisement

#52 Ragnar668

Ragnar668

• 1,884 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 14:35

If it was good enough for Alonso back in 2002, it's certainly good enough for Monsieur Ocon.

I don't like the guy either, but you cannot blame him for staying with Mercedes

#53 GiorgioF1

GiorgioF1

• 737 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 14:45

Hartley wasn't nearly as terrible at Toro Rosso as some made out last year.

Close to Gasly on pace, strong technically.

Yes that's why Red Bull wanted to get rid of him in Monaco already and went throught the hell with Nissan about releasing rookie Albon from his contract with them.

#54 FordFiesta

FordFiesta

• 224 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 14:55

Hartley/Gasly has been the worst TR combination since Speed/Liuzzi days? Even Buëmi/Alguersuari were better? Really strange promoting Gasly to RB. RB should gradually get rid of their "we have to promote our TR drivers to RB come what may" attitude. If they are very good and promising, then, of course, OK (e.g. Verstappen). But if not, then chase after Alonso, Rosberg, ...

#55 steferrari

steferrari

• 1,203 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 15:30

Sometimes, I wonder: how can the discrepancy be so huge. Even if they were great at testing, how could they be so bad when really actually driving. Badoer became 78th when he stood in for Massa in 2009 (Valencia, Belgium)...

The F60 was a very difficult car.

Fisichella couldn't score a single point with it, and the we're talking about a man that was coming from pole position and a 2nd place finish in the previous race.

Badoer was out from 10 years, so it was even harder for him.

#56 aportinga

aportinga

• 8,387 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 15:31

Leclerc, in.
Vettel, on verge of a racing breakdown.
Arrivabene, gone.
Binotto, promoted.
Engine, started. https://formula1.fer...ine-sound-2019/
Chassis name, unknown.
Launch, 15/02/19.

Unlike most years, very little information about the new car (legit or otherwise) is doing the rounds on the tinter-web; other than a supposed completely new and different livery.

Only thing I give a damn about is that the front and rear wings are black! Seriously this is getting ridiculous!!!

nanco-rocks-2.jpg

Edited by aportinga, 04 February 2019 - 15:35.

#57 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 15:37

Sometimes, I wonder: how can the discrepancy be so huge. Even if they were great at testing, how could they be so bad when really actually driving. Badoer became 78th when he stood in for Massa in 2009 (Valencia, Belgium)...

Badoer wasn't that bad at Minardi, when he was properly 'racing'. He was just way out of practise, and 10 years older, in 2009. The F60 was also a very troublesome car, and becoming competitive late in a season has been difficult for many people, not just Badoer. Fisichella didn't do a whole lot better when he took over from Badoer - and he had been driving for Force India that same year!

Whatever else is true about Räikkönen, he had a good finish to the 2009 season. That Badoer couldn't measure up is forgiveable, even if it'd have been much more fun if Ferrari had been able to bring Schumacher back. Might have spared him and viewers from having to see him join Mercedes, too. Who knows. :p

#58 AlexPrime

AlexPrime

• 1,894 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 16:53

i hope that the car is another step forward for the red team and capable of scoring regular 1-2 finishes. I'd love to see battle between Seb and Leclerc for the championship. However, this is wishful thinking. In reality, if the car is competitive with Merc we should be thankful.

#59 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 2,310 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 18:22

Yes that's why Red Bull wanted to get rid of him in Monaco already and went throught the hell with Nissan about releasing rookie Albon from his contract with them.

STR, is of course, known for being totally above board and of fine repute when it comes to dealing with driver issues.

If Hartley had been a petulant Eurobaby he would have been fine. Instead he sucked it up and got on with it. 

Anyway, that's two teams now that felt Hartley had something to offer. You, on the other hand, are a dude with a keyboard. 

Advertisement

#60 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 5,626 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 07:30

Ferrari to spend even more in 2019.

https://f1news.autor...t-sveho-f1-tymu

#61 AlexPrime

AlexPrime

• 1,894 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 09:26

I hope that they know what they're doing.

#62 BRK

BRK

• 4,233 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 15:31

Good. Final piece in the puzzle to win the driver's title again - and to stay there. If deep pockets are a USP, use it to full advantage by all means. 

I am hoping for a season not unlike 2000, except with far less drama. What a dream that would be.  :up:

Edited by BRK, 05 February 2019 - 15:32.

#63 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 5,626 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 18:35

https://www.automoto...impression=true

Rumours say it will be opaque red which has... an aero effect?

Edit: Ah, dodgy translation. Actually means a matte finish, a la Redbull.

Edited by ConsiderAndGo, 06 February 2019 - 19:48.

#64 steferrari

steferrari

• 1,203 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 19:34

Wow, quite a big change, I'm curious to see her.

#65 grunf77

grunf77

• 270 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 19:51

I've put it in google translator, this is what I got:

Hours of turmoil in Maranello in view of the presentation of the new car of F1. From what little has been leaked we know that it has a dark red color (because of the sponsor Winnow), but also that it is opaque , that is, it follows the trend started last year by Red Bull. The problem, for now, is to decide whether to put stickers on the body (which is usually avoided to save something in weight) or paint them over, which is not easy with the shades of opaque (which have a very important aerodynamic function because of the conformation of the surface in contact with the air). How to say that you also win in small details, treated in detail as they do in Maranello and this bodes well.

Meanwhile, it was also known that the car boss of Sebastian Vettel has resigned to face new challenges. Strange that happened a few days after the completion of the car, however, finding a substitute will not be difficult given the high level of professionals present at Ferrari. Someone speculates that the episode of the screwdriver left by mistake in the cockpit of Sebastian last year, at the end of the season, may have influenced the relationships of trust, but it is just an inferlation.

Meanwhile, Ferrari, last Friday, organized a lunch with a small group of friendly journalists . There were 12, including Umberto Zapelloni, (Il Foglio), Andrea Cordovani (Autosprint), Roberto Chinchero (Motorsport.com), Leo Turrini (QN), Luigi Perna (Journal), Giorgio Terruzzi, Fulvio Solms (Corriere dello Sport), Ottavio Daviddi (Tuttosport) and others. It was an informal and friendly chat about the expectations of the press from Ferrari and a way for the new CEO, Louis Camilleri, and Mattia Binotto , to get acquainted with those who will follow the red season. Naturally complete embargo on free-wheeling chat, held in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere.

At the same time, the new communication structure was also presented, with the new track manager Bernd Fisa (who returns to Maranello after years) Silvia Hofer (from McLaren) and Davide Marchi, Ferrari, who had been following the web and the worldwide endurance for some time. . As for Alberto Antonini, who has been out since last January, his professional future will soon be unveiled. Which will still be in F1 at a high level.

And at this point, all waiting for February 15, the day of the debut of the red 2019 with the hope that it is the winning one! In fact, at the test bench good results were obtained in terms of power and durability while the numbers in the wind tunnel say that the new aerodynamics has not suffered any regulatory change at all. Indeed, there would be interesting things in this respect. So, let's cross your fingers!

Edited by grunf77, 06 February 2019 - 19:54.

#66 Nathan

Nathan

• 5,029 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 21:19

Yet won LeMans and gets hired by both Porsche and Ferrari soon after leaving T.R... Albons contract I doubt put the Dr.through hell. Was Nissan really going to say no?

#67 w1Y

w1Y

• 4,610 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 22:37

I find it fascinating that so far the speculation on ferrari and red bull is that they have basically made back the loss of aero from the new regs.

#68 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 7,421 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 00:06

Where is everyone getting these rumours from on car performance?

Apart from the above obviously^

I've not heard a peep, and usually there are rumours by now, no?

Also, matte red sounds amazing.

#69 w1Y

w1Y

• 4,610 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:48

Ive just heard bits of speculation over the internet but of course its just speculation from other people so its worth taking it with a pinch of salt.

#70 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 5,626 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 14:48

Given Ferrari shares much of its components with Haas, I think its quite likely we've seen the exhaust solution and perhaps even suspension geometries that Ferrari could reveal next week. 

#71 GiorgioF1

GiorgioF1

• 737 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 15:03

Yet won LeMans and gets hired by both Porsche and Ferrari soon after leaving T.R... Albons contract I doubt put the Dr.through hell. Was Nissan really going to say no?

I dont doubt he is great in the endurance racing - he's got the papers there. He just didnt cut it in F1. Also had Kubica accepted the Ferrari sim role I dont think they would bother with Hartley at all. Nissan werent going to say no - they were probably just raising the buyout amount. It's not that hard to see judging by how furious they were after Toro Rosso proposal to Albon. It's the Renault after all.

#72 JonnyJ

JonnyJ

• 1,315 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 15:31

Given Ferrari shares much of its components with Haas, I think its quite likely we've seen the exhaust solution and perhaps even suspension geometries that Ferrari could reveal next week.

Definitely the stacked exhaust/wastegate solution as we saw Ferrari running that layout at Hockenheim in practice last year. We never saw it run in race trim so it must've been with this years PU in mind.

#73 Shuffle

Shuffle

• 135 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 15:45

Edit: Ah, dodgy translation. Actually means a matte finish, a la Redbull.

Urgh, I'm in the minority here I think, but I hate matte finish paint.

#74 as65p

as65p

• 22,088 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 15:52

I heard the red will be transparent.

#75 Danyy

Danyy

• 2,284 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 16:38

50 shades of red

#76 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 8,293 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 20:38

2019 suit!

Almost no more white on it! 

IMG-20190207-194453.jpg

Edited by thegamer23, 07 February 2019 - 20:38.

#77 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 5,626 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 20:57

Very slick.

#78 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 4,366 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 21:08

Vettel’s let himself go a bit!

#79 YoungGun

YoungGun

• 15,400 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 22:51

Very slick.

I like it ... but yeah not everyone prefers blonde women.  :cool:

Advertisement

#80 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 7,421 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 23:59

Very slick.

Yeah.

Leclerc looks good too

#81 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 6,933 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 05:34

Authorities are investigating Ferrari's Mission Winnow logos, saying they may breach Australian cigarette advertising laws.

https://www.theage.c...207-p50wa2.html

#82 baddog

baddog

• 27,484 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 05:41

Im completely against tobacco advertising, but that doesnt look anything like a marlboro logo, nor does the whole logo 'resemble a cigarette'

#83 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 6,933 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 05:42

Im completely against tobacco advertising, but that doesnt look anything like a marlboro logo, nor does the whole logo 'resemble a cigarette'

Agreed.

Seeing what they want to see.

Which is, apparently, cigarettes!

#84 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 10,034 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 07:59

I think we know by now how Ferrari thinks about budget caps....

#85 Talisker

Talisker

• 372 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 06:30

Agreed.

Seeing what they want to see.

Which is, apparently, cigarettes!

So you're saying the meaningless phrase that Philip Morris is paying lots of money for Ferrari to display on their overalls has in no way been designed to subliminally reinforce their Marlboro brand, just because you can't see any resemblance to their normal logo or name? Even if the words weren't comprised of white chevrons that would be rather naive.

Actually the more I read about Mission Winnow the more sick I feel. It's supposedly a science and technology initiative blah blah blah. No it's about selling cigarettes. These people are scum and their support of Ferrari really makes me question my liking for the team.

#86 Ragnar668

Ragnar668

• 1,884 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 07:05

From their website:

Striving for better

PMI is transforming, and the change is real. Our vision is of a better future. We want to transform not only our company but an entire industry for the benefit of the world’s 1.1 billion smokers and society as a whole

It is called subliminal advertising and it seems to work

Edited by Ragnar668, 09 February 2019 - 07:06.

#87 baddog

baddog

• 27,484 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 07:46

From their website:

Striving for better

PMI is transforming, and the change is real. Our vision is of a better future. We want to transform not only our company but an entire industry for the benefit of the world’s 1.1 billion smokers and society as a whole

It is called subliminal advertising and it seems to work

I'm not sure in this case it does, I think they have reached the point where unless someone tells you you would have no idea the stupid winnow was anything to do with them at all.

I sure didn't realise, I thought it was some other dumb sponsor I had never heard of nor wanted to.

#88 Ragnar668

Ragnar668

• 1,884 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 08:10

I'm not sure in this case it does, I think they have reached the point where unless someone tells you you would have no idea the stupid winnow was anything to do with them at all.

I sure didn't realise, I thought it was some other dumb sponsor I had never heard of nor wanted to.

That is kind of the idea   ;) 

#89 baddog

baddog

• 27,484 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 08:45

That is kind of the idea   ;) 

I dunno, if you don't in any way associate it with their product then there comes a point where it is just throwing money down a hole. But perhaps Im wrong and it is working subliminally at least on some people.

#90 FordFiesta

FordFiesta

• 224 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 09:35

"Codenamed"... reads like "condemned"...

#91 Clatter

Clatter

• 36,169 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 11:26

I dunno, if you don't in any way associate it with their product then there comes a point where it is just throwing money down a hole. But perhaps Im wrong and it is working subliminally at least on some people.

I can only assume it works on smokers. As a nonsmoker it goes completely over my head.

#92 Clatter

Clatter

• 36,169 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 11:27

So you're saying the meaningless phrase that Philip Morris is paying lots of money for Ferrari to display on their overalls has in no way been designed to subliminally reinforce their Marlboro brand, just because you can't see any resemblance to their normal logo or name? Even if the words weren't comprised of white chevrons that would be rather naive.

Actually the more I read about Mission Winnow the more sick I feel. It's supposedly a science and technology initiative blah blah blah. No it's about selling cigarettes. These people are scum and their support of Ferrari really makes me question my liking for the team.

It's not really their support of Ferrari I would take issue, but the fact Ferrari support them.

#93 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 8,293 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 11:33

96dcfphqaef21.jpg

Silver Ferrari confirmed

#94 as65p

as65p

• 22,088 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 11:57

I can only assume it works on smokers.

I wouldn't be sure of that at all. If you smoke, you're addicted, so you will (need) to buy your dose anyway. Which marque you buy is far more determined by taste than advertising. Also by nature of it being an addiction, in "emergency" cases, you'll take any brand, regardless of advertising. Trust me on this. :D

Tobacco advertising, going by the above, is indeed aimed at non-smokers, new, ahemm... customers, not existing junkies. We're already sold, no use or need to throw more money at it.

#95 Anja

Anja

• 4,444 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 12:03

Even if it's not hidden advertising, this whole Mission Winnow is just incredibly dumb. The worst kind of utter corporate nonsense. 

#96 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 5,626 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 12:06

I wouldn't be sure of that at all. If you smoke, you're addicted, so you will (need) to buy your dose anyway. Which marque you buy is far more determined by taste than advertising. Also by nature of it being an addiction, in "emergency" cases, you'll take any brand, regardless of advertising. Trust me on this. :D

Tobacco advertising, going by the above, is indeed aimed at non-smokers, new, ahemm... customers, not existing junkies. We're already sold, no use or need to throw more money at it.

Take this elsewhere please. Nothing to do with the 2019 car.

#97 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 7,421 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 12:27

The only thing regarding Ferrari that made me want a smoke last year was their strategies.

#98 CL16

CL16

• 1,214 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 13:06

Well it is considering the car is going to be advertising Marlboro world wide this season.

#99 ExEd

ExEd

• 876 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 13:16

Wasn't the "hidden" tobacco livery always a thing with Ferrari and PMI? 

Anyway I don't understand the fuss all of the sudden? This is so 1960s....

You don't wanna smoke fine,don't buy it .

Should one decide to smoke only because its branded on his fav car/team ,also fine...natural selection will take over, no probs there.

That "evil" Ferrari supporting tobacco ( in the world we live in ) its hypocrisy at best.

more on topic, I really hope they go with dark red! Finally a proper Ferrari red if thats the case.

Edited by ExEd, 09 February 2019 - 13:19.

Advertisement

#100 as65p

as65p

• 22,088 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 13:32

I get you, and really have no intention to pursue this, but still... it's all over your 2019 car. Just saying.