* * * * - 10 votes

Ferrari Technical Thread (SF90)

• Please log in to reply
5856 replies to this topic

#2651 Jordan44

Jordan44

• 8,199 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:15

Oke mate, if you really are able to make yourself believe that nonsense than the advantage goes to you :)
I can't possible convince you otherwise cause you are pretty much willing to believe anything at this point.
Obviously only Merc knows how to build an engine and all the rest are incompetent and no match right?

See my edit.

Advertisement

#2652 Unicast

Unicast

• 1,344 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:18

See my edit.

I think that Mercedes did a great job at the beginning of the turbo era and had a massive PU advantage.

Ferrari manage to overtake them (PU wise), maybe as early as last year.

These are the facts, the rest is fantasy.

Edited by Unicast, 14 April 2019 - 07:18.

#2653 OneAndOnly

OneAndOnly

• 742 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:25

Wtf did they think with LeClerc’s strategy?

#2654 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 7,395 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:26

Liquidate.

#2655 Unicast

Unicast

• 1,344 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:31

Unfortunately, our car seem to work only in some specific condition, we are missing DF compared to Merc, this is bad cause it means we don't stand a chance to compete with them in the long run.

Sure some race wins will most like come this year but nothing more than that.

It already seems like a step back from 2018... nothing more to say really, we still don't know how to make proper aero on the car and be competitive at the top.

Both RedBull & Merc have better aero/chassis, we are now the benchmark in the PU department but this is not enough.

Kind of sad really but it is what it is.

Edited by Unicast, 14 April 2019 - 07:32.

#2656 popolonx

popolonx

• 208 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:39

But still we see insecure merc fans gloating about ferrari engine. Can those please go to merc thread to gloat about your superity.

#2657 Massa

Massa

• 7,481 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:39

Leclerc's are no better.

Just admit Binotto built a dog!

Leclerc was pulling away from Vettel. The German had destroy his tyres. Ferrari did the team order way too late.

And then that strategy for Leclerc.. He should have made his second stop just after Verstappen.

#2658 Unicast

Unicast

• 1,344 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:44

Leclerc was pulling away from Vettel. The German had destroy his tyres. Ferrari did the team order way too late.

And then that strategy for Leclerc.. He should have made his second stop just after Verstappen.

Yup, it was obvious Seb was faster at the start of the race, they should have gave the order much earlier... this compromised Leclrec's race but Seb seemed like the faster guy today.

But who really cares?!? We are fighting for 3/4th place, this is the most depressing fact coming out of today... I don't even care about the strategy calls, we are so far behind Mercedes (performance wise) that it's not even a fight.

Compared to 2018 we have made a step backward (aero & chassis wise), when it should have been the other way around.

Edited by Unicast, 14 April 2019 - 07:45.

#2659 MonkeySpin

MonkeySpin

• 397 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:50

SURELY we are now out of the denial stage and can believe:

1. Ferrari do not have a better engine, they just have less drag.

2. Ferrari have a noticeably lesser chassis than Mercedes.

3. Ferrari have a noticeably lesser aero package and potential than Mercedes.

The sooner these can be accepted, the easier the inevitable WDC and WCC loss will be emotionally.

Advertisement

#2660 Unicast

Unicast

• 1,344 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:54

The sooner these can be accepted, the easier the inevitable WDC and WCC loss will be emotionally.

I think the PU is really strong, most likely the benchmark but the rest is crap to be honest.

And seeing 3 1-2's for Merc is already dented most of my hopes for a close championship battle.

It's a pitty but we still don't know how to build proper aero & chassis, not Merc's fault really.

Our team is simply not up to the task, nothing more to say at this point but what is annoying as **** is that compared to 2017/2018 we have taken a step back instead of going forward.

Edited by Unicast, 14 April 2019 - 07:55.

#2661 Massa

Massa

• 7,481 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:54

Yup, it was obvious Seb was faster at the start of the race, they should have gave the order much earlier... this compromised Leclrec's race but Seb seemed like the faster guy today.
But who really cares?!? We are fighting for 3/4th place, this is the most depressing fact coming out of today... I don't even care about the strategy calls, we are so far behind Mercedes (performance wise) that it's not even a fight.
Compared to 2018 we have made a step backward (aero & chassis wise), when it should have been the other way around.

This year is so strange that I will not make any conclusion before the summer break.

Ferrari could also dominate the next two races and what you will say?

I think Leclerc was just saving tyres, he was 2-3 seconds behind Bottas and the gap was fairly stable. And then the team order, and then Leclerc had destroy his tyres behind Vettel.

But even if we had the quickest cars, we will never win the championship with the stupid guy who decide the strategy. That guy must be fired NOW, what they have done to Leclerc was terrible today.

Red Bull had no business to beat one of our car, they had no pace with harder tyres, we keep be beaten by slower cars every race.

Ferrari invent a new strategy today, overcut on a 2 stops strategy. Unbelievable.

#2662 Jordan44

Jordan44

• 8,199 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:56

I suspect it will only get worse. Called it at the time, Binotto as TP is a terrible idea. Your key technical figurehead should concentrate only on what he's good at. It seems like a move that was politically motivated to keep certain people in the team happy. But that doesn't mean it was right.

That said I think Baku will play to the strengths of the Ferrari. They'll be mighty on that back straight.

Edited by Jordan44, 14 April 2019 - 07:58.

#2663 ferrarista

ferrarista

• 1,005 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:57

See my edit.

well it has maybe gone a bit too far, Ferrari should exchange the favor and help Mercedes develop their engine 😁

#2664 Unicast

Unicast

• 1,344 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:58

This year is so strange that I will not make any conclusion before the summer break.

Ferrari could also dominate the next two races and what you will say?

I think Leclerc was just saving tyres, he was 2-3 seconds behind Bottas and the gap was fairly stable. And then the team order, and then Leclerc had destroy his tyres behind Vettel.

But even if we had the quickest cars, we will never win the championship with the stupid guy who decide the strategy. That guy must be fired NOW, what they have done to Leclerc was terrible today.

Red Bull had no business to beat one of our car, they had no pace with harder tyres, we keep be beaten by slower cars every race.

Ferrari invent a new strategy today, overcut on a 2 stops strategy. Unbelievable.

When was the last time Ferrari dominated a race LOL? I'll believe it when I'll see it.

Also by the time the summer break comes, Merc will have already wrap up both championships, what will be the point of having a fast car by that time?

Strategy wise I agree with you, but we have even bigger problems(performance wise) right now.

#2665 MoP

MoP

• 535 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:58

Another kick in the nuts. Another 1-2 for merc and utter humiliation...

Have they any idea how to fix the car? - No updates since launch...ahhhhhhh :mad:

#2666 Massa

Massa

• 7,481 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:59

When was the last time Ferrari dominated a race LOL? I'll believe it when I'll see it.
Also by the time the summer break comes, Merc will have already wrap up both championships, what will be the point of having a fast car by that time?
Strategy wise I agree with you, but we have even bigger problems(performance wise) right now.

Excuse me but Bahreïn was a domination by a Ferrari.

The good thing is Ferrari will be roasted by the Italian press tomorrow, maybe it will wake up these fools.

Edited by Massa, 14 April 2019 - 08:00.

#2667 Unicast

Unicast

• 1,344 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:00

I suspect it will only get worse. Called it at the time, Binotto as TP is a terrible idea. Your key technical figurehead should concentrate only on what he's good at. It seems like a move that was politically motivated to keep certain people in the team happy. But that doesn't mean it was right.

But Binotto himself threatened to quit if he didn't get the position, he was in conflict with Arrivabene and this was the most reasonable way our right? 

So what to do then?

#2668 Unicast

Unicast

• 1,344 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:00

It was not, domination means you win 1-2 (just like Merc is doing), in Bahrain we finished 3/5

Edited by Unicast, 14 April 2019 - 08:01.

#2669 Jordan44

Jordan44

• 8,199 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:01

But Binotto himself threatened to quit if he didn't get the position, he was in conflict with Arrivabene and this was the most reasonable way our right? 

So what to do then?

Let him walk. Is one man bigger than the team? In Ferrari's case apparently so, but in general, from what I have learnt, never.

#2670 Massa

Massa

• 7,481 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:02

It was not, domination means you win 1-2, in Bahrain we finished 3/5

Domination is not the race result, it's the pace shown. In term of pace, it was a domination.

And if the lead driver was not so ****, we would have won this race.

We have many problems, strategy, the slower corner performance of the car, and Vettel.

Edited by Massa, 14 April 2019 - 08:03.

#2671 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 20,854 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:02

This will be the low point of the season, maybe Spain too.

Ferrari will win in Baku.

#2672 rodlamas

rodlamas

• 10,099 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:03

The good thing is Ferrari will be roasted by the Italian press tomorrow, maybe it will wake up these fools.

No. Vettel was overtaken and beaten by Hamilton before he threw it all on the trash can.

#2673 popolonx

popolonx

• 208 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:03

That said I think Baku will play to the strengths of the Ferrari. They'll be mighty on that back straight.

you have weird dreams about ferrari. It is clear as day that those straights will not help when time is lost badly on corners.

#2674 rodlamas

rodlamas

• 10,099 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:11

Ferrari lost it all on S3 today, mainly on the big corner.

Even so, on the big straight Mercedes was faster than Ferrari.

As I have been saying for more than a year: Ferrari has a better qualifying PU. Mercedes is still the better racing PU.

#2675 Shuffle

Shuffle

• 135 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:11

At least now we won’t have everyone piling in here before a race weekend saying that Ferrari will walk it. Right?

#2676 ferrarista

ferrarista

• 1,005 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:12

no way they will claw back on the long straights the second (and more) they will lose in the slow corners

#2677 Unicast

Unicast

• 1,344 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:21

At least now we won’t have everyone piling in here before a race weekend saying that Ferrari will walk it. Right?

I really hope it will be the case LOL

#2678 Blackoutjulian

Blackoutjulian

• 2,163 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:23

Beachdrifter will
AMuS will post another article about Ferraris Monster engine
And it will be accepted as a fact by most here

#2679 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 10,352 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:26

Nah fam, we still have Hungary, Monaco, Mexico, Singapore, and even Brazil, Austin, Japan and France.

Advertisement

#2680 ferrarista

ferrarista

• 1,005 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:27

Beachdrifter will

well Seb just now said they are very happy with the PU that is very strong, not so much with the chassis

#2681 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 10,352 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:28

Beachdrifter will

The car does have a Monster Engine. They just can’t stop and turn it properly.

#2682 Blackoutjulian

Blackoutjulian

• 2,163 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:29

The car does have a Monster Engine. They just can’t stop and turn it properly.

So only a one way Ticket to the Moon?

#2683 Whipper

Whipper

• 8 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:30

So been lurking not wanting to say much till a few races had passed. Unfortunately it’s looking like a long season at this stage.
I know nothing about aero but I consider Newey to be the best so I was worried when I first saw we had a different front wing from the RB esp as it’s seemed the last few years that we’d decided to follow their high rake principle. The question is now did we decide to not put on as much downforce for this race thinking we would sacrifice the quali but be better in the race. Would explain SV comments after quai in the car. Or are we not able to add more, if so it doesn’t bode well for the season.

Edited by Whipper, 14 April 2019 - 08:32.

#2684 Huffer

Huffer

• 1,023 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:31

So only a one way Ticket to the Moon?

Worse - at least you can perform a return trajectory around the moon - it's more like they can't get a proper re-entry and ether burn up in the Earth's atmosphere, or skim off the atmosphere and end up stranded in space. Both results would be "un-good" :)

Edited by Huffer, 14 April 2019 - 08:42.

#2685 Blackoutjulian

Blackoutjulian

• 2,163 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:33

Worse - at least you can perform a return trajectory around the moon - it's more like they can't get a proper re-entry and ether burn in the Earth's atmosphere, or skim off the atmosphere and end up stranded in space. Bot results would be "un-good" :)

Ferrari need Tony Stark to fix their car
Give it some laser weapons

Edited by Blackoutjulian, 14 April 2019 - 08:33.

#2686 Maikel0230

Maikel0230

• 474 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:37

Amazing. The ability of this team to turn itself into it's own worse enemy is simply unmatched in F1. I understood the decision to switch them around. Mercedes was walking it. You need to try something. Yet they did it way too late. At that point Seb's tires had sufferd from running that close and he couldn't find enough of a rhythm, hence Verstappen closed up enough to get into that undercut window he needed. The rest was the usual Ferrari implosion.

Ferrari: "What is strategy?"

Also Ferrari: "Downforce? Don't need that. We have a bullet engine!"

Testing looked promising, but once again it's proved that it means NOTHING. To quote Gunther Steiner: “We could have looked like rock stars, but now we look like a ****ing bunch of wankers. A bunch of ****ing clowns.”

#2687 Marklar

Marklar

• 33,581 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:43

Let him walk. Is one man bigger than the team? In Ferrari's case apparently so, but in general, from what I have learnt, never.

It's kind of a situation where you can just lose. Let him go and he will move to Mercedes probably, making them more stronger, since he is very competent on the technical side.

It's tough to say if Binotto is a bad TP or not, it doesnt look good and he has done some mistakes, but we dont know if anyone could get this team under control or whether he will manage it.

#2688 Huffer

Huffer

• 1,023 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:43

Ferrari need Tony Stark to fix their car
Give it some laser weapons

Now we're talking'! 

#2689 ArrowsLivery

ArrowsLivery

• 3,171 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:50

Any talk of a normal FW for Ferrari? It might solve all their woes.

Also, it seems like just talking about team orders is taboo for Ferrari. Charles’ engineer would barely mention it. Germany 2010 STILL haunts the team.

#2690 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 20,854 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:57

Vettel was 14.1s behind Hamilton and 8.9s behind Bottas before the first stops.

He finished the race 13.7s behind Hamilton and 7.2s behind Bottas.

His fastest lap couldn't be touched until Gasly at the end, who only beat it by one tenth.

Not the end of the world and definitely positives to take. Yes I know the Mercedes were not pushing 100% but they weren't exactly cruising.

If Ferrari's weakness really is front-limited circuits then you can't get much worse than China.

Edited by TomNokoe, 14 April 2019 - 08:57.

#2691 rodlamas

rodlamas

• 10,099 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 09:04

His fastest lap couldn't be touched until Gasly at the end, who only beat it by one tenth.

Not the end of the world and definitely positives to take. Yes I know the Mercedes were not pushing 100% but they weren't exactly cruising.

If Ferrari's weakness really is front-limited circuits then you can't get much worse than China.

We will probably never know if the Mercedes were pacing themselves to Vettel...

#2692 grunf77

grunf77

• 256 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 09:04

The car is pig in slow corners, that onboard from Max car is telling. Max could use much tighter lines, and Vettel was on newer tires.

#2693 Frank

Frank

• 378 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 09:08

Mercs just turning down and now after 3 races, a more clearer picture emerges. Hope Ferrari can sort out what they are lacking.

#2694 ferrarista

ferrarista

• 1,005 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 09:23

https://translate.go...Mp1QAAKBqPGlEjQ

#2695 haryantofan666

haryantofan666

• 349 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 09:29

Why do people still talk about Ferrari having the best engine? The only time Ferrari had the best engine was in qualifying last year. Mercedes was always the better one in races, and still is.

Even a bankrupt underdeveloped Racing Point finishes ahead of both Haas and Alfa cars.

#2696 robefc

robefc

• 12,933 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 09:42

Amazing. The ability of this team to turn itself into it's own worse enemy is simply unmatched in F1. I understood the decision to switch them around. Mercedes was walking it. You need to try something. Yet they did it way too late. At that point Seb's tires had sufferd from running that close and he couldn't find enough of a rhythm, hence Verstappen closed up enough to get into that undercut window he needed. The rest was the usual Ferrari implosion.

Ferrari: "What is strategy?"

Also Ferrari: "Downforce? Don't need that. We have a bullet engine!"

Testing looked promising, but once again it's proved that it means NOTHING. To quote Gunther Steiner: “We could have looked like rock stars, but now we look like a ****ing bunch of wankers. A bunch of ****ing clowns.”

I just don't get how their testing performance at an aero circuit jives with a lack of downforce, it seems really strange.

#2697 Jordan44

Jordan44

• 8,199 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 09:46

I just don't get how their testing performance at an aero circuit jives with a lack of downforce, it seems really strange.

Let's not forget, in the first week of testing the car Mercedes had was from November. That surely has a knock on effect as well for the second week.

It seemed to me like Mercedes were not on schedule in Barcelona, but they've managed to catch up in good time.

Edited by Jordan44, 14 April 2019 - 09:46.

#2698 Shade

Shade

• 770 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 10:11

So what to do then?

Take a look at this:

lJABs88.jpg

They come out after a good race (where Merc still finished 1-2) and they say stuff like this. I'm sure Ferrari have a better car but Lwis and Bottas are 3 tenths faster drivers than Seb/Charles/Max.

#2699 Shade

Shade

• 770 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 10:13

Let's not forget, in the first week of testing the car Mercedes had was from November. That surely has a knock on effect as well for the second week.

It seemed to me like Mercedes were not on schedule in Barcelona, but they've managed to catch up in good time.

Didn't see anyone saying "dont worry, Merc has the same car from November" back then. Everyone was crying how Ferrari is the best. Not talking about you specifically but that was the general consensus. 

Advertisement

#2700 AlexPrime

AlexPrime

• 1,881 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 10:18

Seems like another 2016. A lot of promise and series of big mistakes.
The car is not very good IMO. Like Williams in 2001. Powerful engine and that is.

Edited by AlexPrime, 14 April 2019 - 10:18.