* * * * - 10 votes

Ferrari Technical Thread (SF90)

• Please log in to reply
5856 replies to this topic

#2851 ForzaFormula

ForzaFormula

• 525 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 15:02

I just don't think Vettel has been extracting the maximum out of the car all weekend, Leclerc has been? but went to far and crashed out. Both Hamilton & Bottas simply did a better job than Vettel in qualifying and Bottas was helped by a tow on the straight., the Ferrari clearly had more pace then Vettel was showing it to have today.

Advertisement

#2852 Tosh

Tosh

• 402 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 15:07

I was so hyped for this season but it is all coming downhill pretty quickly. Hope we can fight tomorrow with a good first lap.

Edited by Tosh, 27 April 2019 - 15:07.

#2853 rodlamas

rodlamas

• 10,099 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 15:14

Leclerc will probably have to start from the pits, as he would have been obliged to use the same set of tires on which he crashed + this kind of crash normally requires a chassis change.

#2854 Massa

Massa

• 7,481 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 15:14

Cold track kill the pace of the car and flattered Mercedes.
It will be different tomorrow, on pace I think a Ferrari will win, but I'm afraid of SC and strategy.

#2855 AlexPrime

AlexPrime

• 1,881 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 15:15

The team continues fighting hard with Red Bull Honda. This will be the battle this season. For 2nd.
Meanwhile FE has 8 winners from 8 races. One wonders why manufacturers enter it in droves and F1... :drunk:

#2856 Maikel0230

Maikel0230

• 474 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 15:15

This car is such a weird phenomenon. When the conditions are right for it, it can utterly destroy this field. I'm sure of it. Yet thos conditions are proving to be very elusive. I'm going into tomorrow's race with no expectations. They can only surprise me that way.

#2857 OneAndOnly

OneAndOnly

• 742 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 15:16

Bottas pulled 3 tenths on Vettel in S3

I think he just had some tow in S3 with Hamilton using his wake as well. Vettel had clear track in front of him. That's why his S1 was so good, but IMHO he was a bit conservative in S2, and no tow in S3. He just didn't seem confident with the car as Leclerc. Mercedes seemed to like colder track temp better than others as well. I still believe that we have fastest car here (car No. 16), but drivers and team make too many mistakes. 

#2858 nemanja

nemanja

• 1,203 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 15:24

Cold track kill the pace of the car and flattered Mercedes.
It will be different tomorrow, on pace I think a Ferrari will win, but I'm afraid of SC and strategy.

It's all about the tires. These tires are so temp sensitive its beyond ridiculous. They desperately needs a little bit of luck too. At the moment everything seems to going Merc way.

I really do hope Leclerc will be able to start from 10th. He might be big surprise tomorrow with medium tires.

Edited by nemanja, 27 April 2019 - 15:27.

#2859 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 20,854 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 15:26

Leclerc used Mediums for a few laps first 40 mins FP1 before the red flag. These are a similar life and could be accepted. Should start P9.

Not sure what happens when they’re given back to Pirelli, however.

Don’t agree with the Vettel hate. Solid lap without a tow. Ferrari were much stronger with higher temps. Race starts 1hr earlier than quali (1600 local), this should help.

Edited by TomNokoe, 27 April 2019 - 15:27.

Advertisement

#2860 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 15:29

Meanwhile FE has 8 winners from 8 races. One wonders why manufacturers enter it in droves and F1... :drunk:

formula-e-long-beach-eprix-2016-michelin

;)

#2861 rog

rog

• 1,222 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 15:30

Bottas pulled 3 tenths on Vettel in S3

Bottas with a slipstream and Vettels S3 was really slow for Ferrari, lost more than 2 tenths to his previous attempt.

#2862 Massa

Massa

• 7,481 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 15:30

I have no worries about the race, we have the best car for this track, no debate here imho. Once again, Mercedes was flattered by the track temp, and even themselves acknowledge it.

It's again a lost opportunity of 1-2, I hope at least one car will win that race. The first stint will be fascinating and I hope Charles will survive the first lap

#2863 ferenc_k

ferenc_k

• 229 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 15:33

Leclerc used Mediums for a few laps first 40 mins FP1 before the red flag. These are a similar life and could be accepted. Should start P9.

Don’t agree with the Vettel hate. Solid lap without a tow. Ferrari were much stronger with higher temps. Race starts 1hr earlier than quali (1600 local), this should help.

Bottas probably has a (multiple) tow, Vettel said a well prepared tow could give him half a second. SO if there are two Ferraris at the end probably one of them could well be P 1.

#2864 ferenc_k

ferenc_k

• 229 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 15:34

I have no worries about the race, we have the best car for this track, no debate here imho. Once again, Mercedes was flattered by the track temp, and even themselves acknowledge it.

It's again a lost opportunity of 1-2, I hope at least one car will win that race. The first stint will be fascinating and I hope Charles will survive the first lap

Yes and if he survived than anything can happen, SC will help Leclerc a lot. If there is any. As usual. 

#2865 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 20,581 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 18:07

It's all about the tires. These tires are so temp sensitive its beyond ridiculous.

Yea, it's getting a little absurd now.  Just feels like a lottery weekend to weekend. 

Or in F2, where there was massive gaps at the front in qualifying, yet it seemed like the person who was nearly half a second down in qualifying from pole was crazy fast during the race after a few slow initial laps.  So for those cars at least, there was strong correlation between getting your tires turned on for one lap and having more disappointing ultimate race pace.  De Vries probably would have won if not for the late SC, but slowing em down again ruined his chances because he needed several laps to get going properly.  

Or here, in this qualifying session, Vettel looked ok, then fell off hard, then came back pretty strong in the end after things were looking quite bad.  Tires just falling in and out of the right window.  Mercedes seem to know how to keep them at or near enough a good place more consistently than Ferrari can.  I'm betting that tomorrow's race will throw up a different result in terms of competitiveness.  Not that Merc wont still be quickest, but they may be even quicker, or maybe the Ferrari will show up more competitive, or maybe the Red Bull suddenly turns up with amazing tire performance over a stint.  Who knows.  

Dont really have any championship hopes, though.  Things clearly aren't ever going to go our way on anything.  

#2866 OO7

OO7

• 19,178 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 18:18

Pre-season testing seems so long ago now.

#2867 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 7,395 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 18:23

Yea, it's getting a little absurd now. Just feels like a lottery weekend to weekend.

Or in F2, where there was massive gaps at the front in qualifying, yet it seemed like the person who was nearly half a second down in qualifying from pole was crazy fast during the race after a few slow initial laps. So for those cars at least, there was strong correlation between getting your tires turned on for one lap and having more disappointing ultimate race pace. De Vries probably would have won if not for the late SC, but slowing em down again ruined his chances because he needed several laps to get going properly.

Or here, in this qualifying session, Vettel looked ok, then fell off hard, then came back pretty strong in the end after things were looking quite bad. Tires just falling in and out of the right window. Mercedes seem to know how to keep them at or near enough a good place more consistently than Ferrari can. I'm betting that tomorrow's race will throw up a different result in terms of competitiveness. Not that Merc wont still be quickest, but they may be even quicker, or maybe the Ferrari will show up more competitive, or maybe the Red Bull suddenly turns up with amazing tire performance over a stint. Who knows.

Dont really have any championship hopes, though. Things clearly aren't ever going to go our way on anything.

Yep, titles are over for me as well. I feel like God has smited Ferrari, and maybe for good reason for selling the cancer sticks.

Half the reason I watch now is just to see how Mercedes have BSed themselves to be the underdog for that weekend and how Ferrari will conspire to throw everything in the drain.

Edited by SCUDmissile, 27 April 2019 - 20:55.

#2868 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 20,581 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 19:30

Half the reason I watch now is just to see how Mercedes have Based themselves to be the underdog for that weekend and how Ferrari will conspire to throw everything in the drain.

I'll drink to that.  

#2869 baddog

baddog

• 27,256 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 23:22

Bottas with a slipstream and Vettels S3 was really slow for Ferrari, lost more than 2 tenths to his previous attempt.

It was a bad error from the pitwall to send Seb out first. He should have been in the middle able to get a tow, would likely have poled or at least been second.

#2870 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 5,171 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 23:25

It was a bad error from the pitwall to send Seb out first. He should have been in the middle able to get a tow, would likely have poled or at least been second.

Not the pitwall's decision. Seb made it very clear he made that choice for himself. It felt best for him at the time, and I don't blame him. Max was alone as well and missed out. It wasn't clear cut. 

https://www.autobild...r-14822485.html

(German)

Edited by beachdrifter, 27 April 2019 - 23:27.

#2871 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 1,451 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 23:25

Well considering what happened in China, where he barely managed to get his lap in, it's understandable that Ferrari did a 180. 

Edited by ARTGP, 27 April 2019 - 23:26.

#2872 baddog

baddog

• 27,256 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 23:37

Well if it was Seb then he too was silly. I guess they figure a safe 3rd is better than nothing, but really the wrong decision given the size of the tow.

#2873 Celloman

Celloman

• 845 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 23:45

I wouldn't even call it "slipstream". If you watch Bottas' pole lap video, the car in front is so far ahead you can barely see it, I'd say around 4-5 seconds. Anything he gained from the car ahead must have been marginal, Hamilton was actually slightly closer to Bottas than Bottas was to the car ahead.

#2874 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 1,451 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 23:47

Well if it was Seb then he too was silly. I guess they figure a safe 3rd is better than nothing, but really the wrong decision given the size of the tow.

I'm surprised the Alfa's were not sacrificed to make sure Ferrari got a tow. What are Alfa on the grid for anyway other than to give Ferrari more leverage in anyway possible.

Edited by ARTGP, 27 April 2019 - 23:47.

#2875 Celloman

Celloman

• 845 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 23:47

Bottas probably has a (multiple) tow, Vettel said a well prepared tow could give him half a second. SO if there are two Ferraris at the end probably one of them could well be P 1.

There was basically no tow, in the onboard pole lap you can barely see the car ahead of Bottas. At most there was a marginal gain.

#2876 Celloman

Celloman

• 845 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 23:49

I'm surprised the Alfa's were not sacrificed to make sure Ferrari got a tow. What are Alfa on the grid for anyway other than to give Ferrari more leverage in anyway possible.

By this logic Kvyat should have sacrificed his lap for Verstappen and Perez should have helped Bottas or Hamilton. Didn't see it happening.

#2877 Whatisvalis

Whatisvalis

• 1,254 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 23:50

They mentioned on Sky that the race director has access to a pool of (used) tyres that are available in this kind of situation. It's the first I've heard of that.

#2878 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 1,451 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 23:53

By this logic Kvyat should have sacrificed his lap for Verstappen and Perez should have helped Bottas or Hamilton. Didn't see it happening.

I didn't say all of that so whats your point, and what does that have to do with Ferrari and Alfa? and Racing Point isn't a Merc B-team. In fact we saw in Australia that Toro Rosso's didn't give an inch to Gasly's Red Bull.

On the contrary, you expect Alfa's being a bit kinder to Ferrari's on race day. For example, I doubt Kimi is going to make Leclerc's life hard tomorrow.

Edited by ARTGP, 27 April 2019 - 23:55.

#2879 baddog

baddog

• 27,256 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 00:11

It not happening would maybe be evidence that you are wrong then?

Advertisement

#2880 NorwegianRudo

NorwegianRudo

• 456 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 00:42

Do people even watch before making judgments? Ferrari sent Vettel out 5th in the cue, behind the mercs, who stopped at the end of the pitlane because they didn't want him behind them. Then the other two cars in front of him (Norris and Gio I think) basically stopped on track, leaving Vettel out in front. I'm sure the end result wasn't what Ferrari wanted, but other teams are allowed to do what they think is best for them, even if it buggers Ferrari's planning.

#2881 baddog

baddog

• 27,256 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 00:48

Do people even watch before making judgments? Ferrari sent Vettel out 5th in the cue, behind the mercs, who stopped at the end of the pitlane because they didn't want him behind them. Then the other two cars in front of him (Norris and Gio I think) basically stopped on track, leaving Vettel out in front. I'm sure the end result wasn't what Ferrari wanted, but other teams are allowed to do what they think is best for them, even if it buggers Ferrari's planning.

Read the thread please before answering posts, especially rudely. I already acknowledged if it was his choice then it was him who was mistaken. 

#2882 Zilbert

Zilbert

• 669 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 00:59

Seriously, you're pushing that narrative a bit too much, it's starting to get quite annoying.

#2883 NorwegianRudo

NorwegianRudo

• 456 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 01:02

Read the thread please before answering posts, especially rudely. I already acknowledged if it was his choice then it was him who was mistaken. 

Ahh, making a ridiculous post and then complaining about people correcting you. Nice tactic, will make you tons of friends.

And it wasn't a real choice. He could have stopped behind the mercs, or he could have stopped behind the other cars, but time was running out and playing silly buggers would have left everybody with cold tires coming down to turn one, or not making the start at all. For Vettel who needed to set a time to move up there was only one choice and he correctly took it.

#2884 baddog

baddog

• 27,256 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 01:07

Ahh, making a ridiculous post and then complaining about people correcting you. Nice tactic, will make you tons of friends.

And it wasn't a real choice. He could have stopped behind the mercs, or he could have stopped behind the other cars, but time was running out and playing silly buggers would have left everybody with cold tires coming down to turn one, or not making the start at all. For Vettel who needed to set a time to move up there was only one choice and he correctly took it.

Of course a choice was made, he could certainly have stayed behind the other cars. I assumed his position was a team choice, others pointed out that he said it was his choice

(Note: HE SAID it was his choice made during the out-lap, so unless you are calling Seb a liar you are wrong AND extremely rude)

#2885 NorwegianRudo

NorwegianRudo

• 456 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 01:23

Of course a choice was made, he could certainly have stayed behind the other cars. I assumed his position was a team choice, others pointed out that he said it was his choice

(Note: HE SAID it was his choice made during the out-lap, so unless you are calling Seb a liar you are wrong AND extremely rude)

You are aware Hamilton passed the line with 5 seconds to go, Kimi with even less?

If you're standing on a bridge you can either walk along it or you can jump off it, that's a choice. Vettel could either go for it try to get his tires heated and set a time on his own or he could get mixed up in a big mess. I don't see any way the second choice gets him to the line in time, with space around him and with heat in his tires. He made a choice, but it was the the only real choice available to him. 

#2886 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 1,451 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 01:44

Seriously, you're pushing that narrative a bit too much, it's starting to get quite annoying.

Someone's annoyed on an internet forum.... :rotfl:

Edited by ARTGP, 28 April 2019 - 01:44.

#2887 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 1,451 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 01:49

It not happening would maybe be evidence that you are wrong then?

I'm not sure I understand. Wasn't FIAT's move to get Alfa back into the sport a power play (by any means...On Track, Politics, etc)?  Alfa isn't meant to beat Ferrari in a season. Or do you think that would be allowed to happen? (That's a possibility I never considered but it's possible).

I don't really see what's so farfetched in what I said.  They aren't independent teams if FIAT group controls both Ferrari and Alfa. At some level there is a shared interest in doing well.

#2888 baddog

baddog

• 27,256 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 02:27

I'm not sure I understand. Wasn't FIAT's move to get Alfa back into the sport a power play (by any means...On Track, Politics, etc)?  Alfa isn't meant to beat Ferrari in a season. Or do you think that would be allowed to happen? (That's a possibility I never considered but it's possible).

I don't really see what's so farfetched in what I said.  They aren't independent teams if FIAT group controls both Ferrari and Alfa. At some level there is a shared interest in doing well.

Just that they didn't throw Alfa's qualy away to help Ferrari, so maybe they are not in it to only ever help Ferrari even at the expense of their own performance? I mean yeah they arent 'meant' to beat Ferrari, nor ever likely to be in a position to do so, but there are a lot more possibilities than 'to give Ferrari more leverage in anyway possible.' as you put it. Maybe they are there to promote the Alfa brand by doing as well as possible under it's badge?

#2889 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 5,622 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 08:47

Will Leclerc have to go back to old spec aero package, or were there enough parts?

#2890 Shade

Shade

• 770 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 11:30

Yep, titles are over for me as well. I feel like God has smited Ferrari, and maybe for good reason for selling the cancer sticks.

Half the reason I watch now is just to see how Mercedes have BSed themselves to be the underdog for that weekend and how Ferrari will conspire to throw everything in the drain.

Well said.
I expect nothing and yet somehow I still get disappointed.

#2891 Massa

Massa

• 7,481 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 11:40

Each times PSG have a bad game, on a GP weekend, I now it will be the same for Ferrari.

Bad quali yesterday, PSG loose the French Cup against a weak side yesterday night after being up 2-0 after 20 minutes.
Today, I expect Leclerc without a FW after the first corner, and Vettel being Vettel at a point during the race.

Ferrari will give another 1-2 or 1-3 at Mercedes, and Verstappen will be the third man in the championship (I know he is already but the gap will be bigger).

Edited by Massa, 28 April 2019 - 11:40.

#2892 Marklar

Marklar

• 33,581 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 11:45

Will Leclerc have to go back to old spec aero package, or were there enough parts?

I assume same parts, cause otherwise you have to start from the pitlane.

#2893 MoP

MoP

• 535 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 11:54

I will go against the pessimistic grain in here and say Seb wins the race with charles coming 3rd. 

Not ready to give up on this season in april!! We can sort it all out. Forza Ferrari!

#2894 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 7,395 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 13:27

Right it's obvious Mercedes are just faster and will cruise to the titles easy this season.

Miles ahead.

Depressing.

To be losing out to Max all the time as well is disgraceful.

Edited by SCUDmissile, 28 April 2019 - 13:28.

#2895 Unicast

Unicast

• 1,344 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 13:30

I will go against the pessimistic grain in here and say Seb wins the race with charles coming 3rd.

Not ready to give up on this season in april!! We can sort it all out. Forza Ferrari!

As you can see in the race, we are no match for Mercedes.

Not even sure when we'll win a race this season... the car is lacking on to many fronts and I won't even go into the strategy & operational blunders.

Sadly this season has already become a merc affair.

Edited by Unicast, 28 April 2019 - 13:35.

#2896 Massa

Massa

• 7,481 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 13:35

Soft clearly not working

They did not understand the tyres.

Fast quali car, but in the race slightly slower than Mercedes. They have to do their homework with the tyres. They have to master every set, that's not acceptable to do a so poor job with them.

#2897 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 5,622 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 13:37

Season now totally over.

At least 3/4 tenths off on average.

Absolute toilet. Hats of to Merc, again. Unbelievable team.

#2898 Unicast

Unicast

• 1,344 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 13:37

Soft clearly not working

They did not understand the tyres.

Fast quali car, but in the race slightly slower than Mercedes. They have to do their homework with the tyres. They have to master every set, that's not acceptable to do a so poor job with them.

Yeah, pace of the softs was horrendous, we wouldn't have won this race even if we would have started from pole.

Edited by Unicast, 28 April 2019 - 13:37.

#2899 Unicast

Unicast

• 1,344 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 13:39

Season now totally over.

At least 3/4 tenths off on average.

Absolute toilet. Hats of to Merc, again. Unbelievable team.

Seems like we really did chose the wrong aero concept.

The 2019 car resembles more with the 2016 car vs what we got in 2017 & 2018.

Sad that our team has gone backeards but it's the way it is.

Edited by Unicast, 28 April 2019 - 13:40.

Advertisement

#2900 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 7,395 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 13:39

Really wish Ferrari could just go on Bridgestones again.

**** these exclusivity deals.

Also, the difference between Mercedes and Ferrari can be shown with the difference between how the 2018 and 2019 Baku GPs played out.

Edited by SCUDmissile, 28 April 2019 - 13:41.