Retromobile Paris 2019

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Cavalier53

Cavalier53

• 306 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 19:40

Hi,

I will be spending some time at a very promising Retromobile next weekend.

Anything you'd like to recommend or would like me to report on? Apart from Beaulie's 1950 BRM, there is also a promising artists' gallery: https://www.retromob...rtist-s-gallery

Oh and no: I will not be bidding on the T60/T61 Birdcage - I already declined at last summers' Schloss Dyck.

Jan.

Advertisement

#2 moffspeed

moffspeed

• 232 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 20:05

Hi,

I will be spending some time at a very promising Retromobile next weekend.

Anything you'd like to recommend or would like me to report on? Apart from Beaulie's 1950 BRM, there is also a promising artists' gallery: https://www.retromob...rtist-s-gallery

Oh and no: I will not be bidding on the T60/T61 Birdcage - I already declined at last summers' Schloss Dyck.

Jan.

Yes I'll be back there again this Thursday/Friday.

Definitely not motor-sporting in nature but the Berliet T100 truck will be the centre of my attention. 5 metres high, 5 metres wide, 30 Litre V12, the steering pump driven by its own Panhard engine, only the French could do it.....

Edited by moffspeed, 04 February 2019 - 20:09.

#3 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 22:25

Quite a few TNFers there this year. I’ll be there Wednesday and Thursday.

#4 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,058 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 22:38

Allen,

Can you look out for Aston Martin DB4GT, chassis 0110/R?

Is it on display/up for auction? Auction description?

RGDS RLT

#5 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,215 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 22:53

Quite a few TNFers there this year. I’ll be there Wednesday and Thursday.

Are you meeting up with G about Max Bonnin at all Allen?

#6 DCapps

DCapps

• 878 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 00:52

I was invited to the launch of the new Ballot book, but unable to attend this year. However, at the moment it does look as if I will be there next year -- although having been in Paris in February a number of times, my enthusiasm might be somewhat in check.

#7 SamoanAttorney

SamoanAttorney

• 397 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 11:01

At least this year it did not snow......Retromobile was usual high standard, a must do for those of us this side of the Atlantic ..............now sitting on Eurostar bound for Blighty

#8 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 19:44

Another very good show, and still three days left if you’re tempted to nip over.

The Richard Mille stand is always a highlight, but for quality with variety, the William I’Anson stand should not be missed: just eight cars, but every one a gem. Gregor Fisken’s is nearby, and another highlight; both have fabulous 1970s Group 2 BMWs.

Also impressed by the quality of a number of new French motor sport books, my favourite being the new Matra book.

The weather was certainly better than last year!

#9 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 22:18

Dammit.  I was in Paris Tuesday to Friday but got no chance to get to Retromobile.  Have only attended it once.  Note to self...   :rolleyes:

DCN 

#10 moffspeed

moffspeed

• 232 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 15:24

It's still a great show but has lost some of its eccentricity and some of the bigger players are homing in on it - although the Berliet T100 did impress. I reckon it would be a 3 day job to explore the show fully.

We took time to nose around the Artcurial Auction.  Some wildly optimistic reserves/estimates - so not too surprising that many cars were returning to their existing homes on Friday morning. Although the market is flattening out there are people rich/stupid enough to shell out over €200K for a Series 1 E type, €226K for a Chapron Citroen ID19 and even €40K for a humble Isetta 300.  

Over 250 F1 race suits/helmets up for auction as well. Didn't stick around for this but there were several Hamilton/Schumacher/Senna helmets with estimates of €30-50K. If you were on a limited budget then Tiago Montero's helmet from his 2006 Spyker campaign was sitting there with your name on it for about €3K (but then again.)

Motorsport-wise a truly gorgeous ex works Alpine 110 was a mere €369,520.  We looked over the '66 Le Mans Serenissima Spyder in great detail, looking very much like a 250LM's slightly less delicate sister it was fundamentally reasonably complete and very original. However even cursory examination would have been enough to confirm that it needed an exhaustive nut and bolt restoration to make it a running proposition - with a hefty additional premium if you wanted to race it again. We took a guess at £500K tops so the result of €4,218,800 was impressive....

Thanks to Fiskens for the bottle of Peroni and much attention, perhaps being in my Sunday best was enough to disguise the fact that my life savings would probably just about have bought the airbox on that wonderful Shadow DN5.

Edited by moffspeed, 11 February 2019 - 18:50.

#11 Tom Glowacki

Tom Glowacki

• 525 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 16:17

I was invited to the launch of the new Ballot book, but unable to attend this year. However, at the moment it does look as if I will be there next year -- although having been in Paris in February a number of times, my enthusiasm might be somewhat in check.

It has to beat the snot out of Madison, Wisconsin, at this point.

#12 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 14:00

......  a number of new French motor sport books, my favourite being the new Matra book.

By Vincent? I had it autographed. And R. is a great venue to do this as many writers are present to launch their hard work. Maybe next year we can get the famous D. Nye to sign a couple of his. Bernard Asset was also among the many artists and has several books on offer. Boutsen, Tambay, ... you get to bump in on many famous people. Each year gives many surprises, never the same as the year before. This year the Stratos line up was the special treat. Limited familiair faces like the 166 MM from the Le Mans museum that used to be orange when with Roosdorp.

#13 DCapps

DCapps

• 878 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 03:04

It has to beat the snot out of Madison, Wisconsin, at this point.

Having been in Madison in February, at least there is the bratwurst to commend and the beer tends to be excellent and plentiful, not to mention as well that the hockey fights are better than the fake dives on the football (as in the Association sort) pitch....

However, my presence next year will be an instance of Duty Calls and I shall make the trek.

#14 404KF2

404KF2

• 19,110 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 06:00

I must join my Le Club 404 colleagues there one year....maybe combine Rétromobile with a ski trip with one of our adult children, hmmm.