Photo

Mike Parkes Le Mans '63

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 group7

group7

• 548 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 19:42

In the link would any one know what the decal is on the Parkes-Maglioli Ferrari (s/n 0810) from Le Mans '63, it appears on what I would call the roll hoop, on the left side of the car only, could it be to do with one of the drivers ? I thought it might be a Bosch decal, but I'm pretty certain it's not, I don't think Ferrari used Bosch ? On the 1/43 of this car from ART Model, that decal is there, interesting that on the 1/18 BBR of the same machine, it is omitted, I have neither of those models. I looked through my books, and on the 'net but couldn't find a good image. I'm sure the knowledge base here will come up with the answer !

https://www.alamy.co...um=1&flip=0&pl=

Edited by group7, 12 February 2019 - 19:44.

Advertisement

#2 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,699 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 21:59

Haave you tried asking ART models?  They must have based their model on some photographic information.

Edited by D-Type, 14 February 2019 - 19:41.

#3 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,591 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 22:55

Is it perhaps one of the coloured dots or discs that were required at Le Mans for a time to identify, for the marshals, what material the body was made from in case it caught fire? See the discussions about them in these earlier threads:

Obscure Le Mans technical question.....

Le Mans markings, eg the dots of 1967

#4 Jager

Jager

• 443 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 15:29

The interesting thing is that neither the #21 or #23 sister cars carried this marking, so I don't think it was the technical marking mentioned above. I was wondering if it was to differentiate the #22 car from the others to make it easier for the lap scorers/ timers, but if that was the case I would expect the marking to be on the right side of the car rather than the left.