* * * * * 2 votes

F1 2019 Season Testing Thread

• Please log in to reply
4397 replies to this topic

#1051 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 13,249 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 18:18

Anyone else yet to be impressed by Red Bull so far? The car doesn't seem to be doing long stints, obviously fell off the road today, I've not heard of any impressive stints in the 21s or whatever like Bottas or LeClerc did today and Max wasn't exactly enthusiastic yesterday. For a top 3 team they don't seem to be showing the potential of Merc or Ferrari... and they've got Honda performance to validate... 

Advertisement

#1052 noikeee

noikeee

• 15,321 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 18:21

Anyone else yet to be impressed by Red Bull so far? The car doesn't seem to be doing long stints, obviously fell off the road today, I've not heard of any impressive stints in the 21s or whatever like Bottas or LeClerc did today and Max wasn't exactly enthusiastic yesterday. For a top 3 team they don't seem to be showing the potential of Merc or Ferrari... and they've got Honda performance to validate... 

Chandhok yesterday was saying he thinks they are holding back on aero and not on their "real" spec yet.

I wouldn't judge them until the 2nd week of testing. They've pulled this trick before.

Edited by noikeee, 19 February 2019 - 18:22.

#1053 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 20,544 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 18:22

Red Bull are always the biggest holdouts during testing. 

#1054 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 13,249 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 18:23

That exactly why they took Leclerc. They got rid of Kimi and Arrivabene because of bs in Austria and Monza (where their direct rivals could just do "Valtteri it's James" and be done with it) and took someone who can be easily controlled because he is debuting with then and has 20-odd races of experience in F1. Not to mention someone who cant glue his 3 best sectors together regularly hence why Seb will be starting in front of Leclerc most of the time.

Do people really think Ferrari hired Leclerc so he can **** their WDC fighting with Seb? Not with Binotto.

In the winter of 2007, nobody so far as I can remember was saying, "this season is going to be a bunfight when this rookie Hamilton starts bothering Alonso for pace... "... so I will just say that this notion that Ferrari through Binotto have it all under control is merely a theory until its put to the test...

#1055 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 13,249 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 18:27

Chandhok yesterday was saying he thinks they are holding back on aero and not on their "real" spec yet.

I wouldn't judge them until the 2nd week of testing. They've pulled this trick before.

Agree, but with known knowns such as Renault installation and rules stability, it makes sense. But in this seasons situation they seem to have a lot of variables to consider. I'm not fully judging them because they have the pedigree and past form to prove they'll be there when it matters, but I will say that I think the possibility exists they're not where they're expected to be (challenging for poles and wins). 

#1056 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,031 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 18:28

He did not say Vettel was no.1.

Still, it's good to be on our guard.

Fans must make it clear they don't want teams ordering a driver to give up a win again. :up:

qzUbBr8.jpg?1

Edited by Nonesuch, 19 February 2019 - 18:28.

#1057 tyker

tyker

• 541 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 18:29

It was

No McLaren are correct it was a 7 lap run, Norris did a 1-19.2, then a 1-18.9, then finally a 1-18.5.

#1058 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 19,535 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 18:29

I think I am beginning to be impressed by Haas....

Day one

--

Sector one 7th quickest

Sector two 3rd quickest

Sector three 4th quickest

Day two

--

Sector one 8th quickest

Sector two 3rd quickest

Sector three 2nd quickest

Their times both days on the yellow (sorry keep forgetting the C number for them). I think the engine is strong, and it seems the car is well planted and doing it's thing.

:cool:

#1059 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,031 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 18:32

I think I am beginning to be impressed by Haas....

Yikes! Let's hope the teams further up the grid have taken that into account when making their repairs budgets for 2019.

Advertisement

#1060 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 19,535 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 18:37

Yikes! Let's hope the teams further up the grid have taken that into account when making their repairs budgets for 2019.

Because racing behind them will do what?

:cool:

#1061 Heyli

Heyli

• 1,973 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 18:41

Red Bull are always the biggest holdouts during testing. 

Ricciardo was quickest Day 1 last year! ;)

#1062 FordFiesta

FordFiesta

• 224 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 18:44

Fans must make it clear they don't want teams ordering a driver to give up a win again. :up:

qzUbBr8.jpg?1

Not if the car is by far the best (Ferrari 2002 in Austria). In 2018, the car (Mercedes) was not dominant (hence team order). Very simple, actually.

#1063 Paco

Paco

• 2,663 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 18:45

RB .. I have a feeling that Honda is turned way down trying to see reliablity..1st.. dont expect it to be turned out to anything near limit at all under last 2 days, if then.. I dont think they woant it to go boom and ruin testing..

#1064 w1Y

w1Y

• 3,866 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 18:47

RB .. I have a feeling that Honda is turned way down trying to see reliablity..1st.. dont expect it to be turned out to anything near limit at all under last 2 days, if then.. I dont think they woant it to go boom and ruin testing..

I agree that they want to get laps in first and will turn the wick up as time goes on. In fact all teams are doing this. I imagine merc are especially trying to get reliability and efficiency data with their nee engine works.

In fact has there been any news on ferrari pu development?

#1065 Enzoluis

Enzoluis

• 1,666 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 18:56

Seems this year Pirelli´s tires lose performance sooner than last year.

#1066 Hellenic tifosi

Hellenic tifosi

• 3,471 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 18:57

Seems this year Pirelli´s tires lose performance sooner than last year.

In Ferrari's case at least :p

#1067 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,031 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 18:58

Not if the car is by far the best (Ferrari 2002 in Austria). In 2018, the car (Mercedes) was not dominant (hence team order). Very simple, actually.

Still though, those sad Finnish eyes. Hard to watch. :(

J8E3Ebd.jpg?1

Let's hope we don't see any more drivers giving up wins in 2019.

Better yet, let's start by focussing on the team that actually engineered such a scenario - not the one that hasn't for a long time. :cool:

#1068 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 604 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 19:00

J8E3Ebd.jpg?1

Better yet, let's start by focussing on the team that actually engineered such a scenario - not the one that hasn't for a long time. :cool:

Bottas shouldn’t be too glum...at least he’s got a car to drive. Imagine if he were still at NoKit Williams Racing...

Bet Kubica feels like that moment you wake up after a dream where you win the lottery and then reality bites you.

#1069 danstheman

danstheman

• 393 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 19:06

I find it hard to comprehend how teams 'hold back' during testing, with such limited testing opportunities these days

Maybe they're so confident in their computer simulations? Surely it makes sense to validate on track quickly, so they can move forward with the next phase of the design

#1070 Jbleroi

Jbleroi

• 832 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 19:07

Agree, but with known knowns such as Renault installation and rules stability, it makes sense. But in this seasons situation they seem to have a lot of variables to consider. I'm not fully judging them because they have the pedigree and past form to prove they'll be there when it matters, but I will say that I think the possibility exists they're not where they're expected to be (challenging for poles and wins).

Proper Intergration of the power train during the first tests looks way more important to me than some aero bits. Its is still way too early to draw any conclusions.. redbull is the only team that has changed pu supplier so that could be the reason that they are taking things a bit more easy compared to the other teams during the first days...

Edited by Jbleroi, 19 February 2019 - 19:14.

#1071 Heyli

Heyli

• 1,973 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 19:13

I find it hard to comprehend how teams 'hold back' during testing, with such limited testing opportunities these days

Maybe they're so confident in their computer simulations? Surely it makes sense to validate on track quickly, so they can move forward with the next phase of the design

I guess they dont have to go "full throttle" to validate their computer simulations/assumptions? Should be pretty much what testing is about, no?

If you can validate your assumptions at different speeds/runs, you can most likely relatively safely extrapolate a bit too higher performance runs as well. less risk to break stuff...

As the teams do it every year, I´m sure it makes sense to do it like this :)

#1072 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 2,570 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 19:21

Brundle didn't enjoy being the lead commentator at all. It was part of the reason why he left the BBC when Sky came calling.

I doubt that had any bearing on him deciding to leave the BBC, given that the main thing happening was the beeb no longer showing all of the races live. He basically said that the morning it was announced (I think it was during the practice for the Chinese Grand Prix, but I’d be amazed if my memory is actually that good)

#1073 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 2,570 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 19:22

It might have been Hungary actually

#1074 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 2,570 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 19:31

Yes, it was Hungary.

#1075 P123

P123

• 15,245 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 19:31

Ahh, golden memories. Not the switcheroo, but what made it possible in the first place. :)

#1076 Joshrobins13

Joshrobins13

• 335 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 19:34

Ferrari looking very good.

I don't get why Binotto wants to favour Vettel at the beginning of the season.

Firstly, it's not clear that Vettel is even better than Leclerc. Secondly, Vettel blamed the technical department's poor developments last season when actually his poor performances were at fault.

#1077 P123

P123

• 15,245 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 19:43

Firstly, it's not clear that Vettel is even better than Leclerc. Secondly, Vettel blamed the technical department's poor developments last season when actually his poor performances were at fault.

I'm guessing they mean in terms of new parts (which you would imagine they'll be throwing at the car in the opening races given the new regs), which is pretty much what they were doing anyway with Kimi in the other car. Vettel is a $40m or $50m annual investment which Ferrari have banked on to bring back the WDC, so Leclerc just has to make sure he can't be ignored. I'm sure other teams would love to have him though if Ferrari mismanage things.

#1078 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 4,803 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 19:58

So far as a Ferrari fan it's nothing to excited about. Ferrari look good as they have done some short runs.

Compare their longer race sim runs with Mercs and its a repeat of last years winter testing so far, with Merc having an edge.

#1079 Astandahl

Astandahl

• 220 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 20:02

So far as a Ferrari fan it's nothing to excited about. Ferrari look good as they have done some short runs.

Compare their longer race sim runs with Mercs and its a repeat of last years winter testing so far, with Merc having an edge.

These are not quali / race sim. Maybe we'll see them next week and we'll get useful GPS data from AMUS and other reporters.

Advertisement

#1080 noikeee

noikeee

• 15,321 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 20:09

In the winter of 2007, nobody so far as I can remember was saying, "this season is going to be a bunfight when this rookie Hamilton starts bothering Alonso for pace... "... so I will just say that this notion that Ferrari through Binotto have it all under control is merely a theory until its put to the test...

Yeah I think he wants to reassure Sebastian, and I do think Sebastian will be ahead at least for now. But if it turns out Charles is the quickest, the #1 status for Seb will disappear very very quickly.

Edited by noikeee, 19 February 2019 - 20:10.

#1081 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 4,419 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 20:25

Maybe because Vettel has been there for four years and deserves some credit over a new guy who’s had one season in F1 under his belt?

#1082 CL16

CL16

• 904 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 20:32

Maybe because Vettel has been there for four years and deserves some credit over a new guy who’s had one season in F1 under his belt?

Or they don’t want him to throw away the title like 2017/2018 again.

#1083 Hellenic tifosi

Hellenic tifosi

• 3,471 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 20:47

These are not quali / race sim. Maybe we'll see them next week and we'll get useful GPS data from AMUS and other reporters.

Of course.

For the time being, we can suspect that Ferrari will be fast, with a question mark on tyre wear, while Mercedes showed some impressive consistency.

#1084 CL16

CL16

• 904 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 20:50

Just seen an interview with Albon, he came across really well.

Hope he gets some good results.

#1085 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 7,080 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 20:51

J8E3Ebd.jpg?1

That hairline depresses me more

#1086 Bleu

Bleu

• 2,275 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 20:54

Pace can be seen from sectors, so team would get info if they would start the attack from sector 3 and then continue until the end of sector 2 on the next lap.

Edited by Bleu, 19 February 2019 - 20:54.

#1087 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 3,185 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 20:55

I do find the Ferrari statement also strange. If in GP 1 LeClerc Q on pole and leads during first pitstop window with Vettel on p2, who gets the best pitstop strategy?

#1088 NateF1

NateF1

• 102 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 20:56

For what it's worth, Perez said during the sky review (I was watching) that he thinks all the midfield are within three or four tenths of each other (including Renault)

#1089 HermannH

HermannH

• 1,097 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 21:00

Or they don’t want him to throw away the title like 2017/2018 again.

Exaxtly

#1090 Hellenic tifosi

Hellenic tifosi

• 3,471 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 21:05

For what it's worth, Perez said during the sky review (I was watching) that he thinks all the midfield are within three or four tenths of each other (including Renault)

The midfield battle will be even more exciting this year :clap:  :clap:

#1091 noikeee

noikeee

• 15,321 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 21:08

That's a bit ****. It'll be fun to watch if it plays out that way, but I was hoping for Renault to leap ahead and start catching up the front runners...

#1092 OO7

OO7

• 18,541 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 21:33

Ahh, golden memories. Not the switcheroo, but what made it possible in the first place. :)

P123, I watched that race again last week and I'm embarrassed to say that I had forgotten Lewis passed Sebastien on track and it wasn't a DRS pass either.  Good times.

#1093 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 20,544 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 21:51

I do find the Ferrari statement also strange. If in GP 1 LeClerc Q on pole and leads during first pitstop window with Vettel on p2, who gets the best pitstop strategy?

This is really not complicated.  Leclerc will be allowed to race.  If he's leading by merit and Vettel isn't being held up with an opportunity to make up more places, Ferrari isn't going to do anything.  They've proven over and over they are entirely fair with their drivers, even though many fans love to conveniently 'forget' all these instances(Austria last year, for example).  

Vettel is a known top driver and will obviously be what Ferrari assumes will be their best bet for 2019, but that doesn't mean that if Leclerc proves himself, he's going to be held back.  If all they wanted was a lapdog, they'd have kept Kimi who was a default lapdog by virtue of lack of competitiveness.  Why would they get rid of him and bring a highly promising talent in instead if all they wanted was to have a situation like they had before?  Makes no sense at all if you actually consider that super obvious point.  Leclerc is also a Ferrari driver, not some outsider they brought in, making it even more likely they want Leclerc to step up and have great success.  But Leclerc will obviously need to stand up and earn that.  Otherwise, in a 50/50 situation, whatever that looks like(new parts or something maybe), Vettel will obviously get the nod.  

Ferrari are not running under a strict no.1/no.2 hierarchy.  They haven't since Schumacher.  Kimi was brought in back in 2007 with the expectation he'd be their new lead driver, yet had him playing a supporting role for Massa in 2008.  They will let their guys compete and things will fall as they do.  

#1094 Hellenic tifosi

Hellenic tifosi

• 3,471 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 21:53

It's just that under Binotto there will be no repeat of the unbelievably amateurish pitwall management of Germany 2018. Also, drivers will be free to race, but if needed, a no1 driver policy will be enforced earlier.

At least that's how I understand it.

#1095 noikeee

noikeee

• 15,321 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 22:00

This is really not complicated.  Leclerc will be allowed to race.  If he's leading by merit and Vettel isn't being held up with an opportunity to make up more places, Ferrari isn't going to do anything.  They've proven over and over they are entirely fair with their drivers, even though many fans love to conveniently 'forget' all these instances(Austria last year, for example).  

Vettel is a known top driver and will obviously be what Ferrari assumes will be their best bet for 2019, but that doesn't mean that if Leclerc proves himself, he's going to be held back.  If all they wanted was a lapdog, they'd have kept Kimi who was a default lapdog by virtue of lack of competitiveness.  Why would they get rid of him and bring a highly promising talent in instead if all they wanted was to have a situation like they had before?  Makes no sense at all if you actually consider that super obvious point.  Leclerc is also a Ferrari driver, not some outsider they brought in, making it even more likely they want Leclerc to step up and have great success.  But Leclerc will obviously need to stand up and earn that.  Otherwise, in a 50/50 situation, whatever that looks like(new parts or something maybe), Vettel will obviously get the nod.  

Ferrari are not running under a strict no.1/no.2 hierarchy.  They haven't since Schumacher.  Kimi was brought in back in 2007 with the expectation he'd be their new lead driver, yet had him playing a supporting role for Massa in 2008.  They will let their guys compete and things will fall as they do.  

Well okay but they just came out and said they have a #1 now. This is new and hints at least at a slightly different approach, or maybe this is half-empty talk to try to motivate Vettel. I'm kinda leaning towards the later.

The #1/#2 thing can be simple and can be complicated, it depends how close the drivers are, the relationship between them and how do they take it when it's close, and above all how the team handles it...

#1096 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 17,675 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 22:06

Eh, it’s very similar to how McLaren treated Alonso at the start of 2007. And no, that doesn’t mean anything else.

#1097 DrF

DrF

• 2,551 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 22:42

Is it me or doesn't this happen every year :

Week 1 Ferrari blow everyone into the weeds every day while Merc quietly get on with evaluating tyre compounds, setup changes, long runs,etc.

Excitement rises as everyone starts to think that there's actually going to be a challenge, fuelled by Toto and his faux concern.

Week 2: Kraken!

#1098 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,491 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 23:34

Vettel is a $40m or $50m annual investment which Ferrari have banked on to bring back the WDC,

It's sheer madness that Ferrari didn't remove Seb "Expensive Lost Points" Vettel to make way for Ricciardo alongside Leclerc.  :drunk:

[Or have Ricciardo at Ferrari in 2019, with Leclerc placed at Alfa Romeo in 2019 until Vettel leaves to make way for Leclerc at Ferrari in 2020.]

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 19 February 2019 - 23:37.

#1099 HP

HP

• 17,977 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 00:56

It's sheer madness that Ferrari didn't remove Seb "Expensive Lost Points" Vettel to make way for Ricciardo alongside Leclerc.  :drunk:

[Or have Ricciardo at Ferrari in 2019, with Leclerc placed at Alfa Romeo in 2019 until Vettel leaves to make way for Leclerc at Ferrari in 2020.]

You really want Ferrari change everything? TP, drivers and what not? That IMO would be even more madness from Ferrari.

Advertisement

#1100 HP

HP

• 17,977 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 00:59

I guess they dont have to go "full throttle" to validate their computer simulations/assumptions? Should be pretty much what testing is about, no?

If you can validate your assumptions at different speeds/runs, you can most likely relatively safely extrapolate a bit too higher performance runs as well. less risk to break stuff...

As the teams do it every year, I´m sure it makes sense to do it like this :)

In the races the teams seldom need to go for 100%, so why bother?