Photo

Louis T Stanley Photographic Archive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rl1856

rl1856

• 358 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 16:15

LTS took hundreds (thousands?) of photographs while attending GP races.  Some of them were published in his GP Year books and in other places.

Did he mostly shoot B&W, or color that was published as B&W ?

What happened to his archive of negatives etc ?    I would think it would now be a valuable commodity ?

Advertisement

#2 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,576 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 18:27

I met Louis Stanley, and on one occasion his wife, several times, and although he was undoubtedly a pompous old windbag, I rather liked the man.

I suspect that his photographic legacy has been binned though, he wasn't exactly an ace snapper, some would put that rather more forcefully.

#3 alansart

alansart

• 4,419 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 19:00

I met Louis Stanley, and on one occasion his wife, several times, and although he was undoubtedly a pompous old windbag, I rather liked the man.

I suspect that his photographic legacy has been binned though, he wasn't exactly an ace snapper, some would put that rather more forcefully.

The internet has spawned a lot of personal photos which most of, including some of mine, are crap! But despite being out of focus, poorly planned and to some uninteresting these photos could have been of great value. I guess the Stanley photos could be quite a good record of BRM history despite their photographic quality :)

Edited by alansart, 18 February 2019 - 19:01.

#4 PCC

PCC

• 1,062 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 19:17

The internet has spawned a lot of personal photos which most of, including some of mine, are crap! But despite being out of focus, poorly planned and to some uninteresting these photos could have been of great value. I guess the Stanley photos could be quite a good record of BRM history despite their photographic quality :)

Of considerable interest notwithstanding their inherent lack of quality - not unlike the man himself, from what I've read....

As many of the photos would be BRM-related, might Doug Nye be the most likely to know whether they exist?

#5 alansart

alansart

• 4,419 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 20:31

As many of the photos would be BRM-related, might Doug Nye be the most likely to know whether they exist?

Good point :)

#6 Dave Ware

Dave Ware

• 998 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 20:33

I read "Grand Prix 10", his account of the 1968 season, when I was in high school.  I reread it every few years or whenever I'm in the mood.  I have a few other years as well. 

What I really liked was the candid photos of drivers and other members of the Grand Prix circus.  Really made me feel like I was there, and belonged. 

Many photos included captions that revealed a good sense of humor. 

And some were just awesome, like the close up of Jackie Stewart after exiting his car after the '68 German Grand Prix.