• Please log in to reply
2104 replies to this topic

#1 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,622 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 12:10

Drive to Survive
08 March 2019

Unparalleled Speed. Unprecedented Access. F1 comes to Netflix. From the producer of Amy and Senna, go deeper into the world of F1 in this exclusive all access documentary.

10 episodes.

Edited by TomNokoe, 20 February 2019 - 12:34.

Advertisement

#2 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,622 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 12:25

First impressions, it's a little bit dramatic. Not sure I'm too keen on the "survive" aspect. Magnussen talking about how he doesn't care if he dies. It's not the 1960s anymore...

Seems to focus quite heavily on Red Bull, which is understandable from a marketing POV, but a little strange as they had nothing to do with the championship!

Word in the paddock though, is that it's damn good!

Edited by TomNokoe, 20 February 2019 - 12:39.

#3 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,947 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 12:26

"Drive to survive"? It would be an appropriate name if this was still the 60s, or it was a documentary about the Isle of Man TT, but I'm not sure it really works in an era of Halos and Tilkedromes...

Did they really have to make it look and sound like the sport is far more dangerous than it actually is?

#4 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 12:31

"Drive to survive"? It would be an appropriate name if this was still the 60s, or it was a documentary about the Isle of Man TT, but I'm not sure it really works in an era of Halos and Tilkedromes...

Did they really have to make it look and sound like the sport is far more dangerous than it actually is?

Well it wasn't that long ago there was a fatality I suppose. But yeah, it does look overdramatic and, well, not actually all that interesting. Pretty poor trailer, hopefully the movie is better. I'll still watch regardless of course! Doesn't look terrible or anything.

#5 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 3,175 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 12:35

Weird title aside, this looks good.

#6 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 18,081 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 12:38

Interesting, but i find this trailer & title a little bit too much.
Today's cars & tracks are the safer ever, that would have been a good title for 50-60-70-80-90s Formula 1. 

Hopefully it won't be focused on the crashes only, or pretending too hard it's still an extreme sport like it was back then!

Edited by thegamer23, 20 February 2019 - 12:41.

#7 FrontWing

FrontWing

• 6,864 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 12:40

Well, some of the drivers were driving in order to survive within F1, career wise.... A few didn't make it.

#8 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,283 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 12:42

Sounds at first glance over the top for people who follow the sport, but definitely right thing to do if you want to attract people outside. And if the content is good all is fine for everyone.

#9 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,947 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 12:47

Well it wasn't that long ago there was a fatality I suppose.

A fatality that was in no way representative of the true risks involved in F1 these days.

Plus, to sort of use a freak accident as a way to say "our sport is dangerous" for the sake of a film trailer, would be rather distasteful to Bianchi's memory I think.

#10 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,622 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 12:47

Well, some of the drivers were driving in order to survive within F1, career wise.... A few didn't make it.

Seeing as there's such a heavy Haas and Red Bull presence in the trailer, it's going to be about Grosjean and Hartley, isn't it? :lol:

Edited by TomNokoe, 20 February 2019 - 12:49.

#11 GoGro

GoGro

• 136 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 13:13

Grosjean and Magnussen to ask for 50% of the revenues, in relation with their share of crashes in a typical F1 year

#12 RECKLESS

RECKLESS

• 2,821 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 13:51

Sounds at first glance over the top for people who follow the sport, but definitely right thing to do if you want to attract people outside. And if the content is good all is fine for everyone.

My thoughts exactly.

It is aimed to attract a bigger audience then only us "afficionados" (for lack of a better word). Thus the drama.

I'm very much looking forward to this. Muuuuuuch better than nothing.

#13 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,911 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 15:05

The 60s and 70s were more like, if you want to survive, don't drive.

#14 venkain

venkain

• 20 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 17:30

They could also mean survival of a team, e.g. Williams.

#15 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 17:36

Anything on a major platform that might attract a new audience to F1 is good for F1 I guess.

For most people here, I expect it will be rehash of things they 've heard 1000 times with some dramamusic thrown in

#16 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 17:58

Anything on a major platform that might attract a new audience to F1 is good for F1 I guess.

For most people here, I expect it will be rehash of things they 've heard 1000 times with some dramamusic thrown in

Agreed.

For us anoraks I'm sure it'll be nicely shot meh. 

#17 BalanceUT

BalanceUT

• 2,318 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 18:38

Overly dramatic, but survival isn't just about literal life and death. In academia, the phrase is "publish or perish". That doesn't mean young faculty are literally killed, but at top research universities they are fired if they don't publish enough. Same here. If your driving isn't up to snuff, you are fired, especially if you drive for Red Bull. 

Edited by BalanceUT, 20 February 2019 - 18:41.

#18 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,947 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 19:07

Overly dramatic, but survival isn't just about literal life and death. In academia, the phrase is "publish or perish". That doesn't mean young faculty are literally killed, but at top research universities they are fired if they don't publish enough. Same here. If your driving isn't up to snuff, you are fired, especially if you drive for Red Bull. 

Good point. But based on the footage of crashes and the quote (from Sainz's family?) about "praying for a safe race", it seems to be they're going for survival in the most physical sense.

Edited by JHSingo, 20 February 2019 - 19:07.

#19 crespo

crespo

• 1,038 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 19:11

Well it wasn't that long ago there was a fatality I suppose. But yeah, it does look overdramatic and, well, not actually all that interesting. Pretty poor trailer, hopefully the movie is better. I'll still watch regardless of course! Doesn't look terrible or anything.

*10-episode series.

Advertisement

#20 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,602 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 19:15

They could also mean survival of a team, e.g. Williams.

Yeah that was what I was thinking, or survival in terms of fighting for a championship.

#21 SpaceHorseParty

SpaceHorseParty

• 1,593 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 19:19

The producers of Senna sure love that left-slanted A.

#22 FrontWing

FrontWing

• 6,864 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 20:56

Aparently there's no Ferrari or Mercedes involvement. Odd..

#23 F1 Mike

F1 Mike

• 2,258 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 21:17

Those teams get enough coverage anyway

#24 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 11,729 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 21:21

No Ham no watch! 🐐

#25 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 21:29

No Ham no watch!

What about Cheese?

#26 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,215 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 21:40

Yeah I don't get this making it all about the danger angle. I mean I know it is a dangerous activity overall, very serious **** happens and has happened even in recent years. But... that trailer looks way overdramatic about it doesn't it.

#27 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,331 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 21:46

Aparently there's no Ferrari or Mercedes involvement. Odd..

Can only mean Ferrari and Mercedes said no thanks, not interested.

:cool:

#28 danmills

danmills

• 3,168 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 21:53

What an absolutely ridiculous title and trailer. The tone it’s trying to convey is laughably bad.

It’s trying to make F1 seem more dramatic than it really is. Oddly, they used probably every dramatic moment from the last few years in that trailer, if it’s meant to be that sinister then the main feature is gonna need serious stretching.

#29 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 5,553 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 21:57

So no Mercedes and Ferrari? If that's the case I lost all my interest...

#30 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 7,238 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 22:03

The trailer is not dramatic enough and "Drive or die" would make for a better title.

#31 ANF

ANF

• 29,325 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 22:08

Watching the trailer it seems that the main feature of this "documentary" will be various logotypes.

Edited by ANF, 20 February 2019 - 22:08.

#32 Sixpounder

Sixpounder

• 73 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 22:15

Stop moaning :) Netflix is all about entertainment. Shallow kind of. Triggering mostly low emotions. So why on earth they should avoid exposing danger and highlights of last season.
Keeping movie about F1 realistic in 1:1 proportion (some forumers wish here) reminds me rock/metal band fan who, on one hand, would kill his grandma for this group success, but on the other hand, is in deep fear when the band becomes more popular. Like he is losing "his private band" to the others.
It's just a documentary on steroids production - I hope it's well directed.

Edited by Sixpounder, 20 February 2019 - 22:16.

#33 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,164 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 22:29

I love the melodrama. Yes, please.

#34 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,186 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 23:00

Well said Sixpounder
Jp

#35 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,777 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 00:02

Dodgy name but looks good apart from that.

It's interesting that the spotlight seems to be towards the other teams more, and less on Ferrari and Mercedes.

Wonder if that's a concerted effort by liberty so they can show the value of the other teams as a draw and those deserving of a bigger slice of the money.

#36 chrisj

chrisj

• 1,000 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:29

Dodgy name but looks good apart from that.

It's interesting that the spotlight seems to be towards the other teams more, and less on Ferrari and Mercedes.

Wonder if that's a concerted effort by liberty so they can show the value of the other teams as a draw and those deserving of a bigger slice of the money.

To Liberty, I would say "good luck with that!" Ferrari's presence is worth all of the other teams combined. Anyway, the Senna movie was crap, so I don't have a lot of confidence in this show being any better.

#37 Jazza

Jazza

• 1,827 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:45

So they make the sport safer, because having drivers die on live TV is something that will turn viewers off (No, safety is not just about saving drivers lives. 60’s carnage will no longer be tolerated in this day and age and has to be avoided to be global entertainment). But, they then want to sell the sport as dangerous to get people to watch it?

This is a very mixed message. ‘F1 is exciting because it is dangerous... but it’s safe to let your kids watch it because it isn’t really dangerous.’

#38 Sixpounder

Sixpounder

• 73 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 06:17

Jazza, it’s exactly their purpose. Risky but safe. Killing but fake. Have you ever watched The A-Team or MacGyver series? :) Thousand bullets, no one killed.

Edited by Sixpounder, 21 February 2019 - 06:18.

#39 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 12:15

*10-episode series.

Oh I didn't realise. That actually makes me pretty hopeful that it will be something us formers would find interesting, rather than an averageish 2 hour doc/movie.
I'd still watch regardless but series is better!

Advertisement

#40 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 13:05

Meh

#41 MattK9

MattK9

• 817 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 13:32

If it is a Red Bull focused i hope there was a camera in the room when Max and Dan debriefed in Baku.

#42 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,856 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 19:24

Without Max and Daniel the trailer would have been much, much less exiting!

#43 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,283 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 19:45

So no Mercedes and Ferrari? If that's the case I lost all my interest...

I disagree with this fundamentally, it would be even better if their time is very limited.

Besides that we are already exposed to them most of the time it's for me evident after watching several sport documentaries that small, struggling teams are way way more interesting when it comes to this stuff than top teams.

Edited by Marklar, 22 February 2019 - 19:45.

#44 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,622 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 19:47

I disagree with this fundamentally, it would be even better if their time is very limited.

I do understand this viewpoint, but it's going to be difficult viewing as a hardcore fan when this documentary is going to be portraying fights for 9th and 10th as super-important.

The only true drama is the front, regardless of Formula 1.5, or whatever.

#45 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 22:31

I do understand this viewpoint, but it's going to be difficult viewing as a hardcore fan when this documentary is going to be portraying fights for 9th and 10th as super-important.

That's kinda confusing. Everyone is already aware of what happened in the fight for 1st anyway. The fight for a place with smaller teams on a constant financial knifepoint with drivers fighting to stay in F1 sounds far more interesting to me as a hardcore fan.

I started watching F1 as a Webber fan in 02. Used to watch all races with an eye only on midfield positions. Didn't give a crap about Michael and ferrari and wdc so your assumption is wrong quite frankly.

Edited by goldenboy, 22 February 2019 - 22:33.

#46 Junky

Junky

• 813 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 04:50

This is not true at all. Michael's second career, believe it or not, was almost (if not most) as pleasurable to follow as the first one. Watching the midfield was a very interesting experience. I couldn't care less about Vettel, Red Bull, Alonso and Ferrari: don't get me wrong, obviously, as a fan of the sport, I was very well aware of all the race, but I cared much more about Schumacher's race, trying to imagine the strategies (and how bad was Mercedes back then! They were terrible!). It was great, trust me. I absolutely loved it. And this from someone who started to watch F1 in 1996/97.

Edited by Junky, 23 February 2019 - 04:57.

#47 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 06:12

The trailer looks good but I sort of agree with the comments.  It's specifically that the drivers aren't "trying to survive" that is a part of the problem with modern/current F1.  They drive like there is no consequences.  There's even carpark runoffs.  Wet races are always SC car'd or redflagged.  Everything is so neutered and you can easily see this by the crazy risks that some of the drivers take.  And then they get up and walk out of the car like nothing happened.

Overall, I'm just happy if there is any content like this though.. under the Bernie regime there was a severe lack of this type of stuff.  Consider all of the opportunities wasted and stories that weren't told.  At least.. there's stuff like this behind created and released at all.  F1 is a very action packed sport, cameras are now HD and super clear.  There needs to be Blu Ray quality stuff like this being released constantly.  With lots of behind the scenes stories being told.  And even reflective documentaries released on stars of the sport after they retire.  To give one example.. basketball in the NBA has been doing this since the 90's.

If it changes the way everyone acts (for the cameras) then it's bad/pointless.  But if it can be connected to reality.. and then released at a later point.. it gives additional insights into the sport.. and goes beyond what we see only on the race track.  The race track matters the most.. but these behind the scenes things bring a human element into the sport.. and increases exposure and admiration of these guys.  Something that even non F1 fans can relate to or enjoy watching.  In other words.. it's great just to extend the network of people who are interested in motorsport.  The movie about Lauda did that.. even people who don't watch F1 watched and enjoyed it.

#48 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,856 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 09:27

Funny. I would always think that it are only the hardcore fans that, in first instance, interested in teams that are not fighting at the front. Look at all the German fans that disappeared when Schumacher stopped the first part of his career. They did not flock back when Michael returned right? Furthermore: who other than hardcore fans would watch a documentary about Andrea Moda? Or at Goodwood or any other gathering place would flock to see the the Life F1 car?

On top of that: there can be drama at the front... and boredom at the front. Jerez 1997 would have been a fantastic Netflix-documentary. The seven world-titles of Schumacher would be a snorefest.

#49 P123

P123

• 23,936 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 09:42

Stop moaning :) Netflix is all about entertainment. Shallow kind of. Triggering mostly low emotions. So why on earth they should avoid exposing danger and highlights of last season.
Keeping movie about F1 realistic in 1:1 proportion (some forumers wish here) reminds me rock/metal band fan who, on one hand, would kill his grandma for this group success, but on the other hand, is in deep fear when the band becomes more popular. Like he is losing "his private band" to the others.
It's just a documentary on steroids production - I hope it's well directed.

The title is a little over the top, but what do people hope it's about- how McLaren made their chair spacer? Maybe it will make F1 seem a bit more human, a bit more raw, rather than the polished output of FOM and the PR driven press releases. And I don't think it's so bad if the focus leaves out the big two (although would be nice to have them), as the others are fighting just as hard, with their own stories to tell.

#50 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,186 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 12:23

Do I have to pay extra to see this series?
Jp