- - - - -

F1 Netflix documentary

• Please log in to reply
508 replies to this topic

#51 ixnay

ixnay

• 195 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 12:24

Looks like a 30 minute crash compilation with higher production value than the blooper shows (I know it won't be). Maybe they outsourced the trailer creation away from the production team of the actual series.

Advertisement

#52 MattK9

MattK9

• 273 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 07:35

Do I have to pay extra to see this series?
Jp

You just need a Netflix subscription.

#53 Marklar

Marklar

• 31,958 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 15:27

Some new infos

On the Ferrari/Merc matter

Eight of F1's 10 teams agreed to provide Netflix with fly-on-the wall access, leading to a number of revealing scenes. But the programme glosses over Lewis Hamilton's championship battle with rival Sebastian Vettel after both Mercedes and Ferrari decided not to participate.

[...]

"Mercedes and Ferrari wanted to operate under different terms to the rest of the teams, and us, as producers, and Netflix as the broadcasting platform, didn't feel comfortable with that," executive producer Paul Martin said.

"It was going to be all-or-nothing and if those terms were good enough for the eight other teams, it should have been good enough for Mercedes and Ferrari, too.

"My view is that they did a slight disservice to the fans and the sport by not taking part.

"We were lucky enough that teams such as Red Bull, Renault, Haas, and the others gave us fabulous access and bared their souls."

A Mercedes spokesperson said: "We were delighted to see that last season's compelling, year-long battle for the championship between Ferrari and Mercedes helped drive 10 per cent growth in unique viewership for F1 worldwide and made the sport the fastest growing in the world on social media.

"Competing for the world championship is an all-consuming business that demands every ounce of focus from the entire team; we are driven first and foremost by performance in every decision we make."

Ferrari declined to comment when contacted.

And some interesting content (Spoiler ahead)

Spoiler
https://www.telegrap...rcedes-ferrari/

#54 ANF

ANF

• 9,573 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 19:27

A f****** bunch of what?

#55 JavierDeVivre

JavierDeVivre

• 852 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 19:36

Masturbators, I would imagine.

Edited by JavierDeVivre, 24 February 2019 - 19:37.

#56 Otaku

Otaku

• 1,386 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 19:49

So they make the sport safer, because having drivers die on live TV is something that will turn viewers off (No, safety is not just about saving drivers lives. 60’s carnage will no longer be tolerated in this day and age and has to be avoided to be global entertainment). But, they then want to sell the sport as dangerous to get people to watch it?

This is a very mixed message. ‘F1 is exciting because it is dangerous... but it’s safe to let your kids watch it because it isn’t really dangerous.’

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

#57 Talisman

Talisman

• 5,673 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 20:05

Funny. I would always think that it are only the hardcore fans that, in first instance, interested in teams that are not fighting at the front. Look at all the German fans that disappeared when Schumacher stopped the first part of his career. They did not flock back when Michael returned right? Furthermore: who other than hardcore fans would watch a documentary about Andrea Moda? Or at Goodwood or any other gathering place would flock to see the the Life F1 car?

On top of that: there can be drama at the front... and boredom at the front. Jerez 1997 would have been a fantastic Netflix-documentary. The seven world-titles of Schumacher would be a snorefest.

I completely agree.  For the midfield and back drivers and teams really are driving to survive, the title couldn't be more apt since the front two teams aren't there.

Mess up and you'll be lucky to be racing the year after.  Even for teams a lack of success can endanger the team's existence.

I'm looking forward to this.

#58 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 19,451 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 20:16

Surprised Mercedes and Ferrari weren't forced

#59 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 3,039 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 23:21

I am not surprised Ferrari didn't participate, Mercedes shocks me. They want to play all the social media games and telling everybody how ''open'' they are. Guess not.

Advertisement

#60 Marklar

Marklar

• 31,958 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 13:20

RaceFans made a review about the first 4 episodes, interesting observation about the 4th episode which is about the Red Bull/Renault relationship

As so much of the episode revolves around Red Bull’s decision to split from Renault, it’s surprising that no mention at all is made of their simultaneous move to partner with Honda. References to the Japanese manufacturer were conspicuously absent from the second episode as well, leaving one to wonder whether they, like Ferrari and Mercedes, also chose not to participate in the Netflix project.

https://www.racefans...f-war-reviewed/

That would be quite unfortunate.

#61 Talisman

Talisman

• 5,673 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 14:43

RaceFans made a review about the first 4 episodes, interesting observation about the 4th episode which is about the Red Bull/Renault relationship

https://www.racefans...f-war-reviewed/

That would be quite unfortunate.

Unfortunate but understandable since Red Bull's formal relationship with Honda in 2018 was mainly to conclude negotiations and agree a contract late in the season then work closely together on the 2019 car.  I imagine neither party would have wanted someone outside to gain access to these stages.

What would be odd is if the episode covering STR doesn't involve Honda.

#62 skid solo

skid solo

• 2,308 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 16:29

[quote name="JHSingo" post="8651487" timestamp="1550666820"]

A fatality that was in no way representative of the true risks involved in F1 these days.

Plus, to sort of use a freak accident as a way to say "our sport is dangerous" for the sake of a film trailer, would be rather distasteful to Bianchi's memory I think.[/quote

It happened to Martin Brundle at a wet Suzuka in 1994 but he missed the crane by a small margin. Maria de Villota drove under a flatbed truck in testing and died as a result of her injuries. We have other near misses like David Coulthards Red Bull careering past Alex Wurz’s head following a collision at the 2007 Australian Grand Prix. Alonso head almost being hit by Grosjean at Spa at the start in 2012. The sport appears safe these days until it goes horribly wrong and then we call it a freak accident.

#63 MattK9

MattK9

• 273 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 21:47

It happened to Martin Brundle at a wet Suzuka in 1994 but he missed the crane by a small margin. Maria de Villota drove under a flatbed truck in testing and died as a result of her injuries. We have other near misses like David Coulthards Red Bull careering past Alex Wurz’s head following a collision at the 2007 Australian Grand Prix. Alonso head almost being hit by Grosjean at Spa at the start in 2012. The sport appears safe these days until it goes horribly wrong and then we call it a freak accident.

The halo would prevent 3 of those 4 from being fatal if they had actually connected with drivers head.

Just like the Hulk Alonso Leclerc accident last year, the halo prevented contact to drivers helmet.

Edited by MattK9, 07 March 2019 - 21:47.

#64 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 20,593 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 01:00

Sorry guys, being airborne at 200 MPH and rotating towards a stationary object is un-safe guys. Get real please. Ignorance is no excuse. 

Mercedes and Ferrari - no surprise. They lead the sport in secrecy, spin and manipulation. Uncensored video would spoil that.

Thank goodness Netflix have 8 whole teams though. You've got to feel sorry for the long documentary done by Prime video, of the 2017 season, featuring just the one team which of course included the drivers. It was exciting when the factory fitted the new super engine in the car, and later, it would not start for the first time - a starter motor issue of some kind. So they spun the motor directly. Next episode was the track - the first testing session. When they got a 4th motor flown in from Japan, things did not look promising for Honda and McLaren, season 2017. Alonso's face in that video of the first testing sessions was something I won't forget. 

They should have picked more teams, as the promised return of McLaren to victories did not happen in 2017. 

Edited by Melbourne Park, 08 March 2019 - 01:02.

#65 aportinga

aportinga

• 8,370 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 01:33

First impressions, it's a little bit dramatic. Not sure I'm too keen on the "survive" aspect. Magnussen talking about how he doesn't care if he dies. It's not the 1960s anymore...

Seems to focus quite heavily on Red Bull, which is understandable from a marketing POV, but a little strange as they had nothing to do with the championship!

Word in the paddock though, is that it's damn good!

Yeah these marys aint got nothing on the drivers in the Amazon Prime flick "1".

#66 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 12,412 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 01:34

Please don't make this into another dull and entrenched thread about the Halo. We have those already. Lots. 

#67 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 2,344 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 02:14

Jerez 1997 would have been a fantastic Netflix-documentary. The seven world-titles of Schumacher would be a snorefest.

Bank on it happening one day. A huge amount of material, so many insiders you could speak to, drama and following the careers of Schumacher/Villeneuve leading up to that rivalry and climax at Jerez '97. Perfect opposing characters for it.

In fact it's a perfect Rush 2 or 3 (Senna/Prost could be 2?). Watch this space I reckon...Netflix doco or feature film, something will cover it one day.

Edited by PlayboyRacer, 08 March 2019 - 02:28.

#68 F1 Mike

F1 Mike

• 639 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 08:39

Yeah these marys aint got nothing on the drivers in the Amazon Prime flick "1".

https://www.youtube....h?v=k59zcs00k0A

That's a good watch I'd recommend it to all 👌🏻

#69 Raest

Raest

• 319 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 08:47

I disagree with this fundamentally, it would be even better if their time is very limited.

Besides that we are already exposed to them most of the time it's for me evident after watching several sport documentaries that small, struggling teams are way way more interesting when it comes to this stuff than top teams.

A documentary or even an episode on Ferrari's pitwall last year would be golden though... The drama... 

#70 Peat

Peat

• 4,355 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 09:15

it's up. 

Perfect timing for having a day in bed with the lurgy. 

#71 balage06

balage06

• 1,144 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 09:23

Two minutes in and Claire gets quoted as "Natalie Pinkham"  :D

#72 CharlesChornley

CharlesChornley

• 28 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 09:32

I believe Ferrari and Mercedes were approached with the understanding that ALL other teams would be involved and still said no.

This is a good documentary but in my opinion, it would've been better if it had been made by the guys behind the All Or Nothing series that followed the Dallas Cowboys and Arizona Cardinals. Just my opinion.

#73 Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil

• 514 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 09:45

Two minutes in and Claire gets quoted as "Natalie Pinkham" :D

People being mislabled in the subtitles is actually an extremely common theme – I don’t know how times some other commentator was named as “Croft.”

It’s also worth pointing out that the reaction shot after Verstappen’s spin was very obviously from Spa. Orange helmet and what I think might be the run-up to the Bus Stop chicane on the monitor.

Lastly, did anyone else notice the horribly asynchronous engine sounds? Looks to me like sound editing was either very low-priority or a bit of a hack job.

Other than that, the first episode was actually pretty enjoyable. Looking forward to the rest now.

Edited by Silberpfeil, 08 March 2019 - 09:45.

#74 skid solo

skid solo

• 2,308 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 09:48

The halo would prevent 3 of those 4 from being fatal if they had actually connected with drivers head.

Just like the Hulk Alonso Leclerc accident last year, the halo prevented contact to drivers helmet.

And that’s a great advance in driver safety. Just imagine Leclerc being another Jules Bianchi and the world watching the 2019 season without him in a Ferrari. I’ve seen enough drivers killed in F1 over the last 40 years to know it’s dangerous when things go wrong halo or not.

#75 noikeee

noikeee

• 15,713 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 09:55

And that’s a great advance in driver safety. Just imagine Leclerc being another Jules Bianchi and the world watching the 2019 season without him in a Ferrari. I’ve seen enough drivers killed in F1 over the last 40 years to know it’s dangerous when things go wrong halo or not.

Nobody's denying it's still relatively dangerous and things can still go wrong, albeit at much rarer occasions than in the past, it's just that it's a pretty silly, cynical angle to try to sell F1 on.

#76 RPM40

RPM40

• 10,945 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 10:11

Feels a bit lacking without the front two teams. They’re talking like who finishes p7 is the focus of the race

#77 skid solo

skid solo

• 2,308 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 10:20

Nobody's denying it's still relatively dangerous and things can still go wrong, albeit at much rarer occasions than in the past, it's just that it's a pretty silly, cynical angle to try to sell F1 on.

It’s TV what do you expect? It’s like calling a documentary on wing suit flying, the last flight! The future audience of F1 has grown up in a YouTube ‘click bait’ era. It’s aimed at them. Old gits like me will be watching it anyway whilst the misses is otherwise occupied.

#78 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

• 6,566 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 10:23

Feels a bit lacking without the front two teams. They’re talking like who finishes p7 is the focus of the race

Well it is for some teams and for some fans.

#79 RPM40

RPM40

• 10,945 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 10:34

Well it is for some teams and for some fans.

Me next year probably!

Advertisement

#80 TheManAlive

TheManAlive

• 2,796 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 10:37

I don’t mind not having the top two teams in it. This is a chance to see what happens elsewhere on the grid, to see how they cope and introduces more interest for the lower grid finishes. It means that you can empathise more with teams lower down the grid. If that helps people see the importance of the racing across the whole grid and not just for first place then it may help people enjoy races more. Especially if it’s notnexciting at the front.

#81 Peat

Peat

• 4,355 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 10:50

The top two teams are covered to death, week in, week out. 

This is a good chance to see that the midfield is no less intense, people investing huge amounts of effort, for often meager returns. Sport is brutal!

#82 SennasCat

SennasCat

• 1,285 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 11:18

Agree on it not being a huge problem not having Fazz and Merc, we see them all the time.

20 mins into first episode, they play pretty much the same stupid loud crash sound effect every time there is a crash, and I'm positive a lot of the footage is sped up.

Anyways still better than most of the crap on tv.

Edited by SennasCat, 08 March 2019 - 11:18.

#83 Peat

Peat

• 4,355 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 11:24

Interesting that have a mix of generic SkyF1 comms and Jack Nichols episode specific faux-comms. 

Also just heard a V8/V10 sound effect. ..

2 episodes in, it's not a waste of time. Just got to remember that this series isn't for 'us'. 

#84 MattK9

MattK9

• 273 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 12:25

Interesting that have a mix of generic SkyF1 comms and Jack Nichols episode specific faux-comms. 

Also just heard a V8/V10 sound effect. ..

2 episodes in, it's not a waste of time. Just got to remember that this series isn't for 'us'. 

Nichols does F1 commentary for 5 live.

#85 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 7,894 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 12:28

Does anyone know of any pitfalls when signing up for the so-called free month? I am ever the cynic.

#86 gowebber

gowebber

• 3,631 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 12:29

1st episode done. I thought it was pretty good apart from that gammy aussie overdubbed commentary which is heard from time to time. 

Edited by gowebber, 08 March 2019 - 12:31.

#87 balage06

balage06

• 1,144 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 12:34

Does anyone know of any pitfalls when signing up for the so-called free month? I am ever the cynic.

Unless you forget to cancel it, there won't be any issues, but Netflix will automatically charge you monthly after the first 30 days. But even if you cancel it right after subscribing, your free month will be guaranteed. They might charge your card with a very small amount though (1 USD/EUR) to validate it, but you will get it back in 1-2 weeks.

#88 Peat

Peat

• 4,355 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 12:39

Nichols does F1 commentary for 5 live.

I know. It's interesting that they would get in a 3rd Party commentator for those bits rather than have F1's own #Crofty do some chintzy pretend commentary. 

#89 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 7,894 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 12:48

Unless you forget to cancel it, there won't be any issues, but Netflix will automatically charge you monthly after the first 30 days. But even if you cancel it right after subscribing, your free month will be guaranteed. They might charge your card with a very small amount though (1 USD/EUR) to validate it, but you will get it back in 1-2 weeks.

Thanks for that balage, I'll likely bite the proverbial bullet. Are all episodes now available to watch?

#90 Marklar

Marklar

• 31,958 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 13:03

More on season two

Originally only eight teams agreed to be fully involved, with Ferrari and Mercedes opting out when filming commenced at Barcelona pre-season testing last year.

However, by the end of the season the Italian team had relented and did grant some access, allowing the Scuderia to be featured more later in the series.

F1’s head of marketing Ellie Norman confirmed that the second series was still being discussed with the teams.

“Conversations are happening at the moment with all of the teams with regards to filming of Season 2,” she said.

“Box to Box were filming in Barcelona testing and they will be in Melbourne, and obviously we would love to have all teams involved and signed up.

“We've just started the conversations with the teams, and that does take time. I think Netflix have real confidence in the first one, so they put the funding up for Box to Box to cover the filming from testing and within Melbourne as well. We haven't set a deadline.”

Norman acknowledged that Lewis Hamilton’s busy schedule made it hard for him to commit to the project.

“Part of it was taking the Netflix opportunity to all the teams, and we understand and appreciate that if they're looking at a schedule, and they've got other activities going on," she said.

"I think particularly Mercedes have an awful lot going on with a driver who is into fashion, into music – it was just too much for them to take on at that time.”

https://www.motorspo...season/4348843/

#91 P123

P123

• 15,844 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 13:50

It's a bit short-sighted of Ferrari and Merc not to be involved but similarly, the last paragraph on that re. Hamilton suggests the stuff they do is staged for the documentary, rather than being proper fly on the wall stuff? Makes it sound like reality show pap rather than proper behind the scenes action. It's not as if they have to worry where Hamilton is when the races are on so I'm not seeing the issue, nor what they are meant to be committing to?

Edited by P123, 08 March 2019 - 13:51.

#92 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 3,039 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 13:59

It's a bit short-sighted of Ferrari and Merc not to be involved but similarly, the last paragraph on that re. Hamilton suggests the stuff they do is staged for the documentary, rather than being proper fly on the wall stuff? Makes it sound like reality show pap rather than proper behind the scenes action. It's not as if they have to worry where Hamilton is when the races are on so I'm not seeing the issue, nor what they are meant to be committing to?

Indeed, what is this? Keeping up with the drivers? I thought the whole point was to film during the races and all the stuff that happens related to F1, so then it doesn't matter what the drivers do outside that or they want a F1 reality show  :confused: .

#93 Talisman

Talisman

• 5,673 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 14:19

Managed to squeeze in most of the first episode.

It’s well made though there are many minor errors naming people in the subtitles. Brundle is called Croft at one point for example. We are clearly not the target audience and avid followers are probably not going to learn much that’s new.

I also think it’s good that Ferrari and Mercedes aren’t included. They’d take most of the limelight. This gives the many other stories up and down the paddock space to be heard.

Overall I think it’s excellent. It’s aimed at the casual fan or those not interested at all, turning what might look like 20 identical cars going in circles into real human drama. Hopefully it will win the sport a few more followers and whether it does or not should be the measure of success IMO.

#94 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

• 6,566 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 14:26

Really liked part 4 on Red Bull leaving Renault and Ricciardo leaving Red Bull.

#95 pitlanepalpatine

pitlanepalpatine

• 1,218 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 14:56

Managed to squeeze in most of the first episode.

It’s well made though there are many minor errors naming people in the subtitles. Brundle is called Croft at one point for example. We are clearly not the target audience and avid followers are probably not going to learn much that’s new.

I also think it’s good that Ferrari and Mercedes aren’t included. They’d take most of the limelight. This gives the many other stories up and down the paddock space to be heard.

Overall I think it’s excellent. It’s aimed at the casual fan or those not interested at all, turning what might look like 20 identical cars going in circles into real human drama. Hopefully it will win the sport a few more followers and whether it does or not should be the measure of success IMO.

I just watched the first episode and I like the different perspective. Last year I agreed with Steiner that they looked like a bunch of clowns but seeing how upset the mechanics were made me feel bad for them. But then again, my main enjoyment in F1 is the drama so I guess I'm a filthy casual  :rotfl:

Edited by pitlanepalpatine, 08 March 2019 - 14:58.

#96 Laster

Laster

• 1,936 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 15:31

I’m liking the documentary for the most part, but one thing I could do without is all the added sound effects every time there’s contact, it feels very out of place.

#97 gowebber

gowebber

• 3,631 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 15:38

Really liked part 4 on Red Bull leaving Renault and Ricciardo leaving Red Bull.

Yeah that was great. How was Cyril trolling Horner at Spa. Cheeky bugger. 🤣

Edited by gowebber, 08 March 2019 - 15:39.

#98 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 20,570 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 15:56

I'm not sure where you've seen Hamilton suggesting that, but either way, this stuff is never going to be 100% authentic.  Hawthorne effect means their behavior will change a bit.  They are probably also given special orders behind closed doors to ensure they do certain things, look appropriately busy, limit interactions where possible, etc.  

Also, there's a lot that happens within F1 teams that isn't the 100 minute race itself.  It's probably a bit of a convenient copout excuse for Mercedes, but certainly having a bunch of the Mercedes team, but little interaction with their star driver would probably feel a bit disappointing. 

#99 RobG

RobG

• 862 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 20:24

The whole interaction between Cyril and Christian was just so incredibly awkward and even a bit painfull to watch. Never thought both would be so affected by the Honda choice and Ricciardo switch.

Nice serie though!

Advertisement

#100 MattK9

MattK9

• 273 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 20:30

I know. It's interesting that they would get in a 3rd Party commentator for those bits rather than have F1's own #Crofty do some chintzy pretend commentary. 

And thank god they dont just have croft!