- - - - -

F1 Netflix documentary

• Please log in to reply
440 replies to this topic

#401 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 1,621 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 06:18

If this season Ferrari and Mercedes does not participate, I doubt anyone will bother to follow this next round.

Advertisement

#402 BiggestBuddyLazierFan

BiggestBuddyLazierFan

• 321 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 06:18

For myself... I look forward to the day some really juicy docos come out about some of the epic moments in F1, epic rivalries, epic eras, epic championship duels, interviews with key players, behind the scenes stuff, unseen footage etc.

That's what I am craving. There is so much

Watch "Nine Days in Summer"

That is amazing documentary. And the one that will separate you a true F1 fan from the mere show followers.

Problem is. It tells story that was relevant more than half a century ago.

Today that documentary means nothing but a food for snobs

Edited by BiggestBuddyLazierFan, 04 April 2019 - 06:18.

#403 dn12005

dn12005

• 48 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 11:29

You are not the audience. 

Non-followers of the sport are the audience. 

I have four people in my D.C. suburban neighborhood who have never watched F1 before....I recommended the doc to them to watch.  Now, they have become very interested in the sport.  Two of them will accompany me in June, on a trek up to the Canadian GP....for the whole weekend, starting on Thursday. 

As an aside....the top of my wife's forehead is now famous and can be seen during the driver introduction scene in the "King of Spain" episode. :clap: Kind of mad tho, my face was blocked by some tall dude. :mad:

#404 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 5,469 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 12:14

Why dont you just accept its an entertainment?

I am a big South Park-fan. Entertainment can also be a proces of critical thought. Which this series just isn't. Again: for the F1-newbie it is perfect, I think. But I wanted to give my opinion as a diehard F1-fan. When I was 16, 17 I used to cut-out newspaper-clippings and read those over and over; because there was so little F1-footage on television. I would have salivated back then for a tv-series with so much high quality-footage. And I noticed: this series, it bored me.

That is my perspective. 

#405 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 4,735 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 12:20

I talked some time ago with my friend who never was really into F1. He watched the series with his fiancée and now they waiting for next race with anticipation. So I guess it worked.

#406 Dratini

Dratini

• 1,279 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 12:47

I am a big South Park-fan. Entertainment can also be a proces of critical thought. Which this series just isn't. Again: for the F1-newbie it is perfect, I think. But I wanted to give my opinion as a diehard F1-fan. When I was 16, 17 I used to cut-out newspaper-clippings and read those over and over; because there was so little F1-footage on television. I would have salivated back then for a tv-series with so much high quality-footage. And I noticed: this series, it bored me.

That is my perspective. 

And of course the co-creation of value is entirely subjective and dependent on your own interests just as much as that of the source of the content. We definitely are not in a world where one shoe fits all.

#407 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 5,469 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 12:50

I talked some time ago with my friend who never was really into F1. He watched the series with his fiancée and now they waiting for next race with anticipation. So I guess it worked.

Absolutely. As a marketing-tool, it is perfect. 

#408 jv99jv

jv99jv

• 4 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 13:11

As an F1 fan for the past 30 years, I really enjoyed the Netlfix program. A little over the top, sure. 

But more importantly, my non-racing fan friends are even watching and enjoying it - without me prodding them!

I do wonder how Season 2 will pan out though, and if a lot of the "characters" will be a little more guarded with their comments knowing how they may be portrayed...

#409 coppilcus

coppilcus

• 1,459 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 14:12

To you.

And, at what point did someone with any of the persons in the series say Grosjean is "a clown". I don't recall it. Or, is that your inference based on how he is portrayed in the show?

Not at all...

There’s only one side shown about Grosjean...

There’s only one side shown about Perez...

There’s only one side shown about Ricciardo...

... and all the forgeries about sound and facts.

I do not have a skewed view of the stories portrayed, that’s exactly what was portrayed.

It’s crystal clear.

Edited by coppilcus, 04 April 2019 - 18:22.

#410 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 4,735 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 14:25

Absolutely. As a marketing-tool, it is perfect. 

Yeah, it is.

But I think by itself it is OK. I am enjoying watching this, although it is not perfect of course.

It is a shame there is no ferrari and mercedes though, as most of people said. It would be awesome to look behind the scenes when Vettel was throwing away the title. I wonder if they will be in season 2. It is already interesting - for example to see how relation between Leclerc - Ferrari - Vettel is shaping up.

#411 NotAPineapple

NotAPineapple

• 261 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 23:40

F1 ceased to be sport long time ago. Its an entertainment. Its a show.

People who fail to accept it as such are generaly unsatisfied with F1 product. And tend to moan all the time. Failing to realize they actually want to watch something that does not exist anymore.

If you want sport. Watch Indycar for instance.

You've completely missed the point and your digging out semantics. Call it sport or entertainment, what ever you want it's besides the point.

B.t.w.,  I'm absolutely fine with the way F1 is and is heading so sorry I don't fit into your little "unsatisfied" f1 fan sterotype there.

What shits me however is hyperbole, marketing hype and delibrate misleading. It's a question of integrity and business ethics. There's nothing wrong with being an entertainment medium. But you are going to get different responses if you decide to be a BBC or The Sun. The gutter press has a massive following but it doesn't mean that it's complete ****ing trash.

I guarantee you, any of your friends who got into F1 due to the netflix doco will bail as there is one boring race timed with another netflix doco about something else.

Edited by PayasYouRace, 05 April 2019 - 07:28.
Language please. Don't use special characters to evade our filters.

#412 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 5,469 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 06:40

There is another aspect of this Netflix-series that for me is disappointing, I realized when I read this thread. And it has more to do with Netflix than with F1. Netflix is throwing enormous amounts of money around in their quest for paying members, and that is good because it has given an enormous boost to the film-industry. I see a lot of funny, crazy, controversial movies now, in all kinds of languages (Spanish, Dutch, Danish) that never would have gotten the finances without Netflix.

The documentaries made, however, really, really fall short of the qualities that the 'normal' movies on Netflix offer. There are some really good ones (Fyre, Tower) but the majority are not documentaries but basically archive-material thrown together with a voice-over or interviews. The makers obviously never had to fight with their material to distill a clear story which they could then 'sell' to financers. The result: these 'docs' miss soul. A pity. 

#413 TheJammin

TheJammin

• 325 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 08:00

I've finally started watching this, and I and my toddler thoroughly enjoyed the first episode. He enjoyed watching the racing and enhanced dramatization of race editing, I enjoyed the behind the scenes access. Didn't expect so much foul language, so may have to curb the little one's viewing of it! But Gunther Steiner is a dude.

I liked seeing how much good positions mean to the team members, I thought the guy talking to Gunther in the garage after the race was going to cry, it clearly means so much to them all and it's great to see that human side to things. Grosjean going to the mechanic to reassure him was nice to see as well. I think so far this series is going to punch home the human aspect of the sport in a time when we usually only see the polished PR side of things.

Already a bit confused by the start of episode 2 though... I don't recall there being any Sainz vs Alonso rivalry haha. Creative licence at its best.

#414 A3

A3

• 28,598 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 08:08

Didn't really know where to put this, but as some episodes of the Netflix series are about Cyril and Horner, here's a nice bit about Cyril: https://youtu.be/KJweTcgl2cM

Edited by A3, 05 April 2019 - 08:09.

#415 Whatisvalis

Whatisvalis

• 937 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 13:25

You've completely missed the point and your digging out semantics. Call it sport or entertainment, what ever you want it's besides the point.

B.t.w.,  I'm absolutely fine with the way F1 is and is heading so sorry I don't fit into your little "unsatisfied" f1 fan sterotype there.

What shits me however is hyperbole, marketing hype and delibrate misleading. It's a question of integrity and business ethics. There's nothing wrong with being an entertainment medium. But you are going to get different responses if you decide to be a BBC or The Sun. The gutter press has a massive following but it doesn't mean that it's complete ****ing trash.

I guarantee you, any of your friends who got into F1 due to the netflix doco will bail as there is one boring race timed with another netflix doco about something else.

:rotfl:  I suggest you turn off the TV and Internet.

#416 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 7,354 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 14:52

Watch "Nine Days in Summer"

Yes, superb.

Watched the whole Netflix thing over two days. Phoney crap if you're an F1 fan otherwise mildly entertaining. Wouldn't dream of watching it again, nor a second series. There are so many documentaries that are far better, just like the one above.

#417 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 1,544 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 15:04

If this season Ferrari and Mercedes does not participate, I doubt anyone will bother to follow this next round.

Well, the first season proved that they(Merc Fer) aren't needed.

NEWSFLASH - 'HALF THE WORLD LIKES SOMETHING AND THE OTHER HALF DOESN'T'

What a fvckin surprise !!

#418 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 5,469 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 20:03

Mm. It is a little bit more complicated than that. I find it intriguing that shows like Drive to surive or movies like Rush are excellent to draw in new audiences. As said: my students who previously were not interested in F1 rave about it. And at the same time most people I know who have been following F1 longer are a bit disappointed... 

There seems to be a constant, shifting divide between the new fans and the afficionados. In tennis, for example, there is a kind of merging of new groups of fans and older groups of fans. One way or another, Federer and Nadal and even new guys like Zverev in the public eye kind of merge with the history of the game and with the players of before. Perhaps because popular programs like Wimbledon Today put an effort in that? 

So Liberty has to tread very carefully, in that regard. I think F1 in that sense has an unique marketing-problem. 

#419 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 2,590 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 17:55

I don't have Netflix but a friend does, I watched one episode at his place yesterday and quite frankly I found it both laughable and stupidly over the top for no reason.   Needless to say, I won't be asking to watch it again but then I guess it's not made for long time F1 fans.

Advertisement

#420 BalanceUT

BalanceUT

• 1,742 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 19:35

To you. 

And, at what point did someone with any of the persons in the series say Grosjean is "a clown". I don't recall it. Or, is that your inference based on how he is portrayed in the show? 

Not at all...

... and all the forgeries about sound and facts.

I do not have a skewed view of the stories portrayed, that’s exactly what was portrayed.

It’s crystal clear.

So, you don't have an answer to my simple question: At what point did any persons say that Grosjean is a "clown"? 

You are complaining about a hyperbolic presentation of F1, demanding it somehow tell the stories the way you want them told, and have more 'accurate' presentation of 'facts' and 'sounds'... yet... you can't recognize what looks like your own hyperbole? 

Very close to <plonk!>.

#421 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 1,621 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 06:43

Yea, but my question is for how long? netflix knows they need to sustain this. And the only way is to get in the top teams. I mean, would i wanna turn on next season and see grosjean crashing all over the place, Gunther cussing once in 4 words, and Magnusses 'I am prepared to die BS'?

I rather watch a documentary on Ferrari vs Mercedes. Or the rise of Charles LEC.

#422 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 7,186 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 07:25

I watched couple of episodes. I guess it's fine but I'm not anywhere close to being target audience for it - I enjoyed the behind the scenes footage and some surprisingly honest opinions about Grosjean, but if they put Horner in front of the camera I'd want to hear longer talk with some insights, not just a quick cuts. But I do understand this is modern documentary style and the show is something like an introduction to F1. But even saying this hearing Will Buxton saying some absolutely banal things like those were the ultimate truth made me chuckle. From technical point of view it is pretty flawless.

So overall I can put it on when I'm cleaning up the apartment or I know I will fall asleep soon so putting a full length film on wouldn't make sense.

#423 Raest

Raest

• 291 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 09:20

Not at all...

Well Grosjean was portrayed more or less like I had pictured him and likewise for Perez. I don't think anyone liked Perez before the documentary and I don't think anyone likes him after so his portrayal is rather accurate. 

As for Ricciardo that was perhaps a bit disingenuous as they conveniently left out the part where Max mopped the floor with him in the second half of the season but it didn't fit their narrative so I can understand it. 

I have zero issues with the faux soundtrack... 

#424 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 7,186 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 10:10

Talking about Narratives, it felt like they assumed Ocon was going to get a drive for 2019 and the narration was building up for the announcement and then bang, just a black screen with information that he failed to secure a drive.

#425 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 1,132 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 12:17

Probably shouldn't post as I haven't seen this, but am intrigued by the discussion.

Some say: it's inaccurate, misleading, and rubbish.

Others say: ah, but it's aimed at attracting people who don't know about F1.

Question: if you are looking for an introduction to a subject, don't you want it to be accurate and informative? If I see a documentary on history, crime or social issues I know little about, there's no way I want to end up misinformed.

#426 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 7,186 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 12:28

Others say: ah, but it's aimed at attracting people who don't know about F1.

Question: if you are looking for an introduction to a subject, don't you want it to be accurate and informative? If I see a documentary on history, crime or social issues I know little about, there's no way I want to end up misinformed.

Based on what I saw, I wouldn't say the series is misinforming people. It's creators have chosen a few "storylines" out of what is talked about in F1 world and are following them, and make a good, if a very modern-document-a-like job at combining quotes from key figures, GP weekends and some narration provided by F1 experts together. But it's not like they say this is the only things which are going on. So I think it's an introduction in the sense it is designed to create a spark of interest in F1 - I'm obviously not the one to ask, but I can totally see it achieving this goal. But it's not like this show is or it presents itself  as a mini-guide about all things F1.

Edited by wingwalker, 08 April 2019 - 12:29.

#427 Antemeridian

Antemeridian

• 209 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 13:43

I rather watch a documentary on Ferrari vs Mercedes. Or the rise of Charles LEC.

I thought the lack of those teams was going to be a problem, but I actually kind of liked it. I feel like the regular coverage gives us a pretty good picture of those two teams (though the behind-the-scenes would be neat), so actually just focusing on the rest of the series actually kind of gives some more light to stories that not everyone would see.

#428 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 31,690 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 13:57

the top of my wife's forehead is now famous 

Define "famous". 

#429 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 1,544 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 14:09

Yea, but my question is for how long? netflix knows they need to sustain this. And the only way is to get in the top teams. I mean, would i wanna turn on next season and see grosjean crashing all over the place, Gunther cussing once in 4 words, and Magnusses 'I am prepared to die BS'?

So do it, or quit bitching.

#430 dn12005

dn12005

• 48 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 14:26

Define "famous". 

Famous as 'in my own little world', I get to pretend that the top of my wife's forehead is famous. :p

#431 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 31,690 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 15:18

I don't recommend walking around saying that. 

#432 coppilcus

coppilcus

• 1,459 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 09:33

Well Grosjean was portrayed more or less like I had pictured him and likewise for Perez. I don't think anyone liked Perez before the documentary and I don't think anyone likes him after so his portrayal is rather accurate.
As for Ricciardo that was perhaps a bit disingenuous as they conveniently left out the part where Max mopped the floor with him in the second half of the season but it didn't fit their narrative so I can understand it.
I have zero issues with the faux soundtrack...

I could not care less for what people like, it’s subjective and depends on a wide range of factors. But you should be able to see that the stories were completely fabricated and did not even hint a little bit of “the other’s side” of it, which is crystal clear on the examples I wrote about.

I don’t care if you like Perez or not, but he clearly is not a paydriver, and that’s the only side they falsely portrayed, even at the extent of forgering a statement from Perez when he talked about Slim: the word “richest” does not flow in the phrasing and it sounds that it was pronounced in two stages/steps.

What purpose it serves to publish Perez’s statement at the end, where he asks the cameraman to make sure all the sponsors in his cap were visible?! It’s a basic standard in the sport, you cannot decide if you wear or don’t the Pirelli caps at the podium; you cannot decide if you wear or not the team’s caps, sneakers, jackets, pants, socks and race suits; he has the right to ask for that gesture and it was used to further reinforce the image the “journalists” were viciously pursuing.

The biggest achievement from Force India was the podium at Baku, but they only showed the qualifying result at Spa, and managed to not say that Ocon lost the position to Perez in the second corner of the race.

The young “superstar”, whom ends not getting a seat anywhere in F1, was beaten two straight years by the “paydriver” they so eagerly try to portrayed as and nothing more, devaluating Ocon’s image and his “super talents”.

Edited by coppilcus, 15 April 2019 - 10:40.

#433 coppilcus

coppilcus

• 1,459 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 09:41

So, you don't have an answer to my simple question: At what point did any persons say that Grosjean is a "clown"?

You are complaining about a hyperbolic presentation of F1, demanding it somehow tell the stories the way you want them told, and have more 'accurate' presentation of 'facts' and 'sounds'... yet... you can't recognize what looks like your own hyperbole?

Very close to <plonk!>.

Talking about the “hyperbolic presentation” of F1, a concept of figure of speech, to try to dispute my comments and then asking me for a quote from someone saying Grosjean is a clown, does not make any sense.

Here, allow me to present you a dictionary:

https://www.wordrefe...ition/hyperbole

It’s a useful tool!

Edited by coppilcus, 15 April 2019 - 21:33.

#434 cheekybru

cheekybru

• 1,342 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:06

Just binge watched this after finding out about it in this thread (thanks guys)

I enjoyed it, and I think it would be a good watch / catch for a non/new fan, I found the Cyril/Christian bits great television

Who cares if it's a bit artificial in places, F1 needs a bit of extra spice (although I do get annoyed when any F1 show uses the old engine noises, but fully understandable)

Edited by cheekybru, 15 April 2019 - 10:07.

#435 BalanceUT

BalanceUT

• 1,742 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 14:54

Talking about the “hyperbolic presentation” of F1, a concept of figure of speech, to try to dispute my comments and then asking me for a quote from someone saying Grosjean is a clown, does not make any sense.

Here, allow me to present you a dictionary:

https://www.wordrefe...ition/hyperbole

It’s a useful tool!

And, you are plonked for lack of willingness to answer a direct question about when you make a specific claim of a description uttered. Buh-bye! 

#436 coppilcus

coppilcus

• 1,459 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 09:32

And, you are plonked for lack of willingness to answer a direct question about when you make a specific claim of a description uttered. Buh-bye!

Call me back when you can understand the concept of that figure of speech!

;)

#437 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 5,329 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 12:49

Ok, it's getting crazy now. Many people, guys and girls, that I have been friends with for many years that used to make fun of me for being into F1 are all of a sudden turning into big fans because of this series. I don't have to watch F1 alone anymore lol.

It definitely was not for us, and it is definitely doing it's job.

#438 coppilcus

coppilcus

• 1,459 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 17:40

Ok, it's getting crazy now. Many people, guys and girls, that I have been friends with for many years that used to make fun of me for being into F1 are all of a sudden turning into big fans because of this series. I don't have to watch F1 alone anymore lol.

It definitely was not for us, and it is definitely doing it's job.

No one is arguing anything against the intent of this advert, but its content and presentation format.

#439 Dratini

Dratini

• 1,279 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 14:19

I just want to check back in to talk about how tonight while at the pub I ran into an old mate from school (I'm just 25) who watched the Netflix series, and wow. First of all, I used to talk about F1 non-stop while in school and I never thought this bloke would be interested in spending his time watching an F1 documentary series on Netflix. Nevertheless, he did, and wow he retained so much knowledge. He knew all the drivers' names, all the big events from last season, he was so interested in what was going to happen this year to the extent he started watching it. He kept mentioning Charles Leclerc and how cool he was, and before I could even begin to mention what happened in Bahrain he was already spitting it out.

In my small circle I have three people who, without my advertising, have become interested in the sport as a result of the series. I consider it a success.

Advertisement

#440 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 31,690 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 14:02

God almost feel sorry for grosjean. Almost. Other than the out and out pay or poor drivers, he is the first I would bin. But damn, does Steiner do a job on him.

#441 GenJackRipper

GenJackRipper

• 203 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 23:26

Just finished it. It was nice. Funny being reminded of incidents from last season one had forgotten about.

But why was Ferrari & Mercedes not in it at all? Seems odd that they would get some sort of special pass not to participate when Red Bull was in it?