- - - - -

Ted Kravitz Fired? [Update: Ted Kravitz not fired]

• Please log in to reply
373 replies to this topic

#51 GrumpyYoungMan

GrumpyYoungMan

• 5,616 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 11:05

A simple ‘I’m ok guys’ on twitter would suffice. His alerts must be on fire just now!

Many members of the press pack have alluded to something happening behind the scenes too.

And I just don’t buy that Ted wouldn’t go to the Barcelona tests... he’d have been there getting his nose/camera into all the garages.

Why should he? If it’s personal to him - then it’s none of our business!

Edited by GrumpyYoungMan, 24 February 2019 - 11:05.

Advertisement

#52 Dratini

Dratini

• 1,273 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 11:11

This is going to be a massive loss for Sky if he has gone. He in my view is the best presenter on SkyF1 followed by Johnny Herbert. I am not talking about F1 knowledge here, but as a sports presenter. He is entertaining to watch and delivers the message clearly. If the stories are true, I really hope he ends up on F1TV.

:lol: I guess we all look for different things at the end of the day.

For me, I've often found that Herbert fails to critically analyse and just regurgitates common, simple cliches and anecdotes in hopes that the situation fits, at least somewhat.

#53 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 4,106 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 11:15

Madness. Sheer idiocy. Moronic. But that's "management" for you in so many cases. Kravitz lends humour, humility and some unique insights behind the scenes. As others have said, the only one of the sky team apart from Brundle who should be an automatic member. 

That said, I can't believe there are not other movers and shakers in F1 broadcasting and management who are, right now, calling Ted up with job offers. 

#54 Dolph

Dolph

• 7,097 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 11:32

Its a shame.

#55 sportyskells

sportyskells

• 1,664 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 11:41

Is this actually real or is it a social media thing?

Just a rumor at the mo hence the ? in the thread title

Edited by sportyskells, 24 February 2019 - 11:42.

#56 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 2,547 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 11:43

This is going to be a massive loss for Sky if he has gone. He in my view is the best presenter on SkyF1 followed by Johnny Herbert. I am not talking about F1 knowledge here, but as a sports presenter. He is entertaining to watch and delivers the message clearly. If the stories are true, I really hope he ends up on F1TV.

is it april fools day already?

#57 as65p

as65p

• 21,794 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 11:47

Genuinely surprised Ted appears to have so many fans. Most of the time I just find him mildly annoying, doubt I will miss anything without him. His supposed technical knowledge... :well:, he talks a lot, but I don't remember gathering any deep technical insights that way.

Could also just be his so-called humour simply doesn't rub with me, but that's of course highly subjective.

Edited by as65p, 24 February 2019 - 11:49.

#58 pdac

pdac

• 7,420 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 11:56

There are ALWAYS people above PAID positions - unless he bankrolls the company he is only in a paid position so can removed or told to get in line - although there’s no point paying him for his job if you pull rank...

People above do not care about the details of the operation - they will just look at the top-line numbers for reassurance that they guy is managing things properly. I once had a manager who, at my review, just said "well, if you did anything wrong, I'd be receiving complaints - as I've not heard anything, I assume you're doing a good job".

#59 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 5,504 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 12:24

People above do not care about the details of the operation - they will just look at the top-line numbers for reassurance that they guy is managing things properly. I once had a manager who, at my review, just said "well, if you did anything wrong, I'd be receiving complaints - as I've not heard anything, I assume you're doing a good job".

Exactly what I say to my guys 😂😂

Advertisement

#60 David1976

David1976

• 1,598 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 12:32

Personally I found Ted Kravitz quite grating. He’s a bit too “look at me!” For my liking. Whilst I enjoy the technical insights his shows offered I’d prefer a different presenter. Anthony Davidson for example.

#61 Razoola

Razoola

• 519 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 12:42

The way I see it F1 races have become so boring that there needs to be entertainment by the presenters. While Martin Brundle is very knowledgable and indeed a critical part of the team, if every presenter was like that it would end up being dull. Johnny lightens the whole thing up and Ted presents in a way to make things understandable to the average joe.

Edited by Razoola, 24 February 2019 - 12:43.

#62 Razoola

Razoola

• 519 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 12:46

Personally I found Ted Kravitz quite grating. He’s a bit too “look at me!” For my liking. Whilst I enjoy the technical insights his shows offered I’d prefer a different presenter. Anthony Davidson for example.

I like Anthony also, the chemistry between Ant and Crofty is better than Paul Di Resta and Crofty in the pratice the pratrice session coverage IMO.

#63 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 11,654 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 12:52

The way I see it F1 races have become so boring that there needs to be entertainment by the presenters. While Martin Brundle is very knowledgable and indeed a critical part of the team, if every presenter was like that it would end up being dull. Johnny lightens the whole thing up and Ted presents in a way to make things understandable to the average joe.

Let's have fireworks shaped like cowboy hats during the races. And cheerleaders too. Um, green and red shells would liven it up too. :)

(Yes, I am aware that Sky Sports have no say in the spectacle offered to them, they just get to shape the spectacle offed to us. Which is in part why I choose to not watch their coverage. Ted is the only part of their coverage that I actually enjoy. Personally I hope that he has left Sky and joined a better presentation channel, perhaps F1TV.)

#64 balage06

balage06

• 990 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 12:56

Never really liked the guy to be honest, so it's fine by me. I prefer Buxton with his paddock pass.

#65 BCM

BCM

• 1,591 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 13:20

If it's true I won't miss him. Some of his interactions with Ferrari over the years were straight out of the News of the World handbook.

#66 Misk

Misk

• 225 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 13:54

I prefer Buxton with his paddock pass.

QFT

#67 w1Y

w1Y

• 3,868 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 14:12

Buxton is ine of the most annoying of the lot after button. Yes button hasnt starter yet but he will be annoying

#68 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 21,711 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 14:45

I really wish someone employs Kravitz and continues the qualifying notebook just as it was, and puts it on youtube (I don't live in the UK). The way the qualifying notebook captured the atmosphere in the paddock was fantastic, and no other show or feature did that. Just noticing Ricciardo talking to his engineer in the background while Ted was talking about the latest gossip, was fun. Also the small chats he had with so many different people, sometimes not about F1, added to the flavour.

...now where's the petition?  :)

#69 GrumpyYoungMan

GrumpyYoungMan

• 5,616 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 14:50

I really wish someone employs Kravitz and continues the qualifying notebook just as it was, and puts it on youtube (I don't live in the UK). The way the qualifying notebook captured the atmosphere in the paddock was fantastic, and no other show or feature did that. Just noticing Ricciardo talking to his engineer in the background while Ted was talking about the latest gossip, was fun. Also the small chats he had with so many different people, sometimes not about F1, added to the flavour.
...now where's the petition? :)

He probably wouldn’t get the pass...

#70 Silverstone96

Silverstone96

• 542 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 15:14

The notebook would probably work quite well on c4 as it doesn’t need to be live and could easily bolt onto the end of the highlights show in the evening.

#71 Frood

Frood

• 3,086 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 15:27

Buxton is ine of the most annoying of the lot after button. Yes button hasnt starter yet but he will be annoying

Give the lad a chance before saying he’ll be annoying...

#72 Paincake

Paincake

• 989 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 15:31

People really prefer the smugness of Will Buxton over the more humbled Ted Kravitz? To each their own I guess...  :yawnface:

As a Dutch viewer I watch exclusively with Ziggo anyways... they have their flaws as well, except from being Verstappen worshippers, but who can blame them.  :lol:

#73 Clatter

Clatter

• 35,054 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 15:43

Button was great when he did a short did a short stint when he had to sit out a few races. Why not wait until you have actually heard him before complaining?

#74 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 2,814 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 15:59

I think Button will be good.

Buxton on the other hand...

#75 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 609 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 16:09

I think Button will be good.

Buxton on the other hand...

Buxton is my primary source.

Of water.

#76 RECKLESS

RECKLESS

• 2,739 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 16:14

I always thought Kravitz was best of the Sky F1 bunch.

#77 Spillage

Spillage

• 5,424 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 16:54

Disappointed. I thibk Karun is probably an upgrade but Kravitz was far from the worst thing about Sky's coverage. Croft is dreadful and the 'banter' between Lazenby and Herbert is so vacuous that I no longer watch their pre and post-race coverage.

Edited by Spillage, 24 February 2019 - 16:56.

#78 messy

messy

• 3,179 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 17:00

I like Chandhok but I think he'd be going some to be any kind of upgrade on Ted.

After a quali session or a race, watching Ted going garage to garage, finding people to chat to, annoying Adrian Sutil by admiring his girlfriend.....just the right blend of humour and getting to the bottom of the big talking points, it was probably the highlight of the coverage.

#79 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,056 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 17:01

Seems like Sky is going about this the wrong way. :down:

The one they need to replace is that dude who keeps messing up the official FOM videos by SHOUTING ALL THE TIME ABOUT STANDARD RACING THINGS !!!

:drunk:

Edited by Nonesuch, 24 February 2019 - 17:01.

Advertisement

#80 Garndell

Garndell

• 649 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 17:38

To those saying Ted was too "tabloid" or "annoying" you clearly haven't sampled Sky's other sporting coverage, it's a whole lot of tabloid, sensationalist, middle aged predominately white guy tosh 90% of the time.  Compared to Jeff "OH MY GOD" Stelling, Ted Kravitz is a veritable Murray Walker.

If FOM did get him he'd probably have more access to the paddock, C4 he'd get probably less access.  I like to think of Ted as the jovial heart of the team, Croft the angry uncle and Johnny Herbert the daft grandad.

#81 Razoola

Razoola

• 519 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 17:58

Ohh my god... I just found out the reason why Ted's been fired! It was Ted all along! See video...

https://streamable.com/40gkt

Edited by Razoola, 24 February 2019 - 18:00.

#82 Paco

Paco

• 2,664 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 18:53

Crap. His quali books were very informative and most race ones were decent as well. People should start a petition if it’s real..

#83 septerra

septerra

• 391 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 19:18

I usually watched the notebook and didn't even bother with highlights of missed qualy sessions. Even the races, I'd normally read the F1 race results article and watch the notebook online. 

#84 Spillage

Spillage

• 5,424 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 19:46

Apparently Anthony Davidson has got the boot as well. Sky are doing this all wrong.

#85 Nathan

Nathan

• 4,687 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 20:02

Was the Notebook really much different from Paddock Pass?

I was a long watcher of the Notebook, but for whatever reason had a difficult time finding it on YouTube last year thus switching to Paddock Pass.  I do miss some of Ted's quirkiness, but I'm not sure I feel less informed.  I feel the drivers stopped taking him seriously and was more entertained by them trying to take the piss.  Is that how you use that phrase?

#86 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 1,124 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 20:33

I feel the drivers stopped taking him seriously and was more entertained by them trying to take the piss.  Is that how you use that phrase?

Writing as I do a mere 15 miles from Buckingham Palace, I can reassure you that is a perfect use of London English.

#87 F1 Mike

F1 Mike

• 616 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 20:36

Did he fall out with them over the lack of coverage of the (more important) final test?? 😂

#88 RekF1

RekF1

• 502 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 21:04

Apparently Anthony Davidson has got the boot as well. Sky are doing this all wrong.

that's what I've seen on Reddit. I'd say he's a bigger loss tbh.i personally cannot stand Ted, but I'd never wish anyone to lose their job. I also hate sky with a passion and barely ever listen to their commentary so I guess he could be less annoying than I remember.

#89 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 26,949 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 21:12

Last year the guys on my crew were watching the free SKYF1 commercial free coverage on ESPN2 while on a long drive through Arizona. One of them mentioned that Ted sounded like a public school prefect and was arrogantly condescending toward non-British people. That’s the only complaint I’ve ever heard regarding Mr. Kravitz ( other than Martin calling him Lenny)

Jp

#90 pdac

pdac

• 7,420 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 21:28

Did he fall out with them over the lack of coverage of the (more important) final test??

Nah, probably Crofty wanted a pay rise and they have to get rid of Ted to cover the cost.

#91 w1Y

w1Y

• 3,868 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 21:37

Be good if he can start a youtube channem and his own podcast. We need some more decent f1 podcasts

#92 Whatisvalis

Whatisvalis

• 914 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 21:56

Anthony Davidson and Ted are the only good things about free practice coverage. Can't believe he's gone too - guess it will be PD being passive aggressive with Croft now., then throw down to Brundle's awful track side 'drama' segment.

#93 pdac

pdac

• 7,420 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 22:35

Anthony Davidson and Ted are the only good things about free practice coverage. Can't believe he's gone too - guess it will be PD being passive aggressive with Croft now., then throw down to Brundle's awful track side 'drama' segment.

Ah, but they how have no competition for the free practice audience.

#94 Jordan44

Jordan44

• 7,244 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 23:05

Ant Davidson is still there apparently.

#95 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 2,129 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 23:12

Paul di Resta, the guy that told the whole world during a Brazil FP that Lewis Hamilton better gives something back to the F1/the racing world and should be very thankful for it. Doing his own hobbies after he is done was a no-no in his eyes. He should be fired for that comment alone.

Edited by SonGoku, 24 February 2019 - 23:14.

#96 EndlessMotion

EndlessMotion

• 1,861 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 23:25

I think all pundits have their flaws as they're only human but Ted's been a staple in F1 for a long time now and whilst he has his quirks that could be a little annoying at times he was mostly a valuable asset to have. Was really pleased when both he and Martin Brundle moved to Sky as the rest of the Sky team were so weak. He definitely knows his way around the paddock.

I always felt there was some friction there between him and Crofty, often disguised as banter but I thought you could feel the annoyance in Ted's voice sometimes when the two would interact over a race weekend. Who knows what the reason is if he has gone but I think it's a shame whilst there's a few others that could go without it being a loss.

I'd never wish anyone to get the sack but as far as I'm concerned Crofty is far more suited to his commentary on the darts. His endless waffling on about non F1 related matters whilst missing key moments and laughing at his own attempts at humour are incredibly tiresome when you're paying good money for the coverage.

#97 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 00:49

While is sucks that Ted was let go without a send off I appreciate that Sky seem to at least be trying to change up their tired commentary team by bringing in fresh faces like Karun Chandhok and Jenson Button.

Another year of the same style of Sky F1 commentary that we’ve had for a decade now would have bored me to tears.

#98 Jazza

Jazza

• 1,426 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 01:18

Maybe he didn’t get his steak and abused the producer...

Point is, no one can say if him getting fired was right or wrong until the reason is made public.

#99 baddog

baddog

• 26,787 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 01:26

The way I see it F1 races have become so boring that there needs to be entertainment by the presenters. 

God no.. I mean how can you even?

And even if you were right, a bunch of sad old blokes trying to be funny making jokes about having a banana for their lunch is just pathetic.

Advertisement

#100 pdac

pdac

• 7,420 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 01:31

God no.. I mean how can you even?

And even if you were right, a bunch of sad old blokes trying to be funny making jokes about having a banana for their lunch is just pathetic.

They could try a challenge of drinking Rich Energy out of Dan's old shoes.