- - - - -

Ted Kravitz Fired? [Update: Ted Kravitz not fired]

• Please log in to reply
394 replies to this topic

#301 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,324 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 16:21

Of course I'll miss the Notebook as I've already mentioned, but man, his presence is also sorely needed on the pit lane. While very knowledgeable, KC is even drier than I expected.

It's starting to look to me as if F1TV snapped Ted up from Sky and KC was brought in to replace him rather than KC forcing Ted out of that role. 

Edited by AustinF1, 15 March 2019 - 17:04.

Advertisement

#302 Pete_f1

Pete_f1

• 1,458 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 18:31

Oh? I have no idea what that is... interesting, I'll look it up... might explain some bias against him..... ta

Okay I'm back, oh crap, that is very poor indeed! I work in TV, have worked with many presenters on many Outside Broadcasts (including quite a few F1 GP's actually) and it never ceases to amaze me how they can just say the most inconsiderate and downright stupid things.

BUT that one is up there in terms of down right poor taste stupidity and I can see why people would allow that to cloud their view of his abilities......

It's one of those little comments that those who don't like him decided to pick up on and make sure it's never forgotten. Quite childish really

#303 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,455 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 19:07

Of course I'll miss the Notebook as I've already mentioned, but man, his presence is also sorely needed on the pit lane. While very knowledgeable, KC is even drier than I expected.

It's starting to look to me as if F1TV snapped Ted up from Sky and KC was brought in to replace him rather than KC forcing Ted out of that role. 

Incorrect.

Sky first made contact with Chandhok last July.

Sky initially dropped, and then u-turned on the decision to axe Ted during the Winter break. F1 themselves entered the picture in the interim period.

#304 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 702 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 19:50

I have a feeling we’ll see a ‘notebook’ (maybe under a different name) on YouTube from Ted this year. There’s got to be a company out there that could/would sponsor/fund such a thing. F1 themselves possibly... and then add it as content to their app/YouTube channel. It’s very popular indeed, and cheaply made. F1 will surely have taken note of the attention/outcry from the fans over the winter break.

Bad move by Sky, but could be great for the fans in the end.

Edited by FirstnameLastname, 15 March 2019 - 19:50.

#305 Gambelli

Gambelli

• 405 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 22:13

It's one of those little comments that those who don't like him decided to pick up on and make sure it's never forgotten. Quite childish really

I see what you're saying, I agree in part, not sure I necessarily agree it's childish though.  But I agree that it shouldn't enter the reckoning on whether or not he's good at his job.  At some point you have to let the error go.  So for example whilst I found it incredible that he'd use such a lack of judgement, it doesn't whatsoever change my opinion that I think he's very good in his role and along with Martin are the 2 best assets of Sky's broadcast.

#306 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,324 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 23:03

Incorrect.

Sky first made contact with Chandhok last July.

Sky initially dropped, and then u-turned on the decision to axe Ted during the Winter break. F1 themselves entered the picture in the interim period.

Is that fact, or your opinion? I don't think we know that's a fact and not rumor.

At any rate, if they consciously pushed Ted out in favor of LC, that was a major bonehead move.

#307 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,324 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 23:05

I have a feeling we’ll see a ‘notebook’ (maybe under a different name) on YouTube from Ted this year. There’s got to be a company out there that could/would sponsor/fund such a thing. F1 themselves possibly... and then add it as content to their app/YouTube channel. It’s very popular indeed, and cheaply made. F1 will surely have taken note of the attention/outcry from the fans over the winter break.

Bad move by Sky, but could be great for the fans in the end.

Yeah this is what I've been thinking too ... and hoping for.

Edited by AustinF1, 15 March 2019 - 23:30.

#308 loki

loki

• 5,889 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 23:53

I doubt we'll see Kravitz on a competing OTT show with F1TV.  It will likely be whatever he's doing for Sky and the midweek program.

#309 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,455 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 05:00

Is that fact, or your opinion? I don't think we know that's a fact and not rumor.

At any rate, if they consciously pushed Ted out in favor of LC, that was a major bonehead move.

I interviewed Chandhok at the Autosport Show, that's fact.

The second bit comes from multiple sources I trust.

(Not one to self promote, but as you haven't clocked on, I'm the person behind Motorsport/F1 Broadcasting).

#310 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,324 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 05:01

I interviewed Chandhok at the Autosport Show, that's fact.

The second bit comes from multiple sources I trust.

(Not one to self promote, but as you haven't clocked on, I'm the person behind Motorsport/F1 Broadcasting).

Welp, then they're boneheads.

#311 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,324 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 05:04

I doubt we'll see Kravitz on a competing OTT show with F1TV.  It will likely be whatever he's doing for Sky and the midweek program.

Yeah I was thinking more along the lines of Ted doing something like the Notebooks for F1TV.

#312 Mishvili

Mishvili

• 47 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 12:19

Anyone missing their post-qualy notebook? Any similar type replacements available anywhere? The stories coming out of the teams lower down the grid are just as interesting as the battle at the top, but you won’t get them in the mainstream media reporting.

#313 kar

kar

• 10,370 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 12:34

I find Chandhok so terribly dull to listen to. Certainly he knows what he's on about more than Ted. But it's as much about the irreverence Ted brought which breaks up the po facedness of much of Sky's offering. I miss Ted's presence already.

#314 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 1,328 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 13:09

Anyone missing their post-qualy notebook? Any similar type replacements available anywhere? The stories coming out of the teams lower down the grid are just as interesting as the battle at the top, but you won’t get them in the mainstream media reporting.

You could understand this if it was on an channel like Ch4/BBC, etc However, this is a dedicated F1 channel; it's surely a must. Seems like the Sky F1 coverage is rather lazy.

#315 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,031 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 14:45

Quite a bit of backlash happening on twitter regarding Ted's absence. 

That's the first I had heard of Lazenby's awful attempt at humour. I bet he gets a wonderful reception in the Principality these days. 

#316 Whatisvalis

Whatisvalis

• 1,254 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 16:33

I find Chandhok so terribly dull to listen to. Certainly he knows what he's on about more than Ted. But it's as much about the irreverence Ted brought which breaks up the po facedness of much of Sky's offering. I miss Ted's presence already.

Maybe from a pay driver point of view - although he seemed quite shocked the top teams were coming out for a second run in Q2, when that's been the standard OP.

Like you mentioned - it's Ted's irreverence and enthusiasm that made him great, and give the guy some tech credit - he loved his front wings.

#317 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,324 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 16:36

Maybe from a pay driver point of view - although he seemed quite shocked the top teams were coming out for a second run in Q2, when that's been the standard OP.

Like you mentioned - it's Ted's irreverence and enthusiasm that made him great, and give the guy some tech credit - he loved his front wings.

Yeah I never found Ted lacking in terms of technical knowledge, esp compared to most of his peers.

#318 Paco

Paco

• 3,623 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 16:41

Chandhok is HORRID.  Freaking unwatchable actually.  Made me cringe everytime he spoke up and covered stuff.  Where is TED.. totally missed his post qualifying notebook.  Feel a huge piece missing from my coverage i got here in Canada.

#319 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,324 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 16:50

Chandhok is HORRID.  Freaking unwatchable actually.  Made me cringe everytime he spoke up and covered stuff.  Where is TED.. totally missed his post qualifying notebook.  Feel a huge piece missing from my coverage i got here in Canada.

Yeah frankly he's been even drier than I previously predicted. He's always had good insights, but nothing particularly different or special, and his delivery is so monotone, it just fades into a drone...

Advertisement

#320 cpbell

cpbell

• 2,223 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 17:12

That's the point, though - on Channel 4 he was usually wih Steve Jones, who contributes plenty enough eccentricity and irreverance by himself.  They actually worked really well together; Jones would take the p*** out of Chandhok, or deliberately over-hype him in a joking manner, and Chandhok would have a dig back.  I can imagine, though, that if he's with a stuffed shirt (not familiar with the Sky presenter, but I understand he's dull), then Chandok might not provide much contrast.

#321 Whatisvalis

Whatisvalis

• 1,254 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 17:13

Yeah frankly he's been even drier than I previously predicted. He's always had good insights, but nothing particularly different or special, and his delivery is so monotone, it just fades into a drone...

It's his encyclopedic knowledge of F1 history that gives the impression he knows what he's on about. Another comment during FP - he was obsessing over Ferrari running asymmetric brake cooling and how unusual that was, then when Crofty asked PdR about it he said it was normal, they did it all the time at FI.

One thing I noticed during FP was they seemed to rotate who was reporting from the pits.

#322 cpbell

cpbell

• 2,223 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 17:16

Strangely, after someone (you possibly) criticised Chandhok during testing, my dad (who isn't exactly known for embracing multiculturalism but who liked Chandhok) wondered if it was his accent that people didn't like.  TBQH, I don't recall him speaking in a monotonous drone much; indeed, when Jones used to turn to him as the cars went out on their sighter lap to the grid, he was often quite animated.

Edited by cpbell, 16 March 2019 - 17:26.

#323 F1 Mike

F1 Mike

• 667 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 17:22

Chandhok is absolutely fine, they just need to figure out how best to use him.
His deep knowledge of the sport's history is a big bonus to the team.

He's just not filling the role left by Ted's absence that's all

#324 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 3,659 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 17:23

Ted is maybe not fired, but his role is certainly not what it was, it's like a coach in football being ''non-active'', what a huge shame and big miss for F1 fans around the world.

#325 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,324 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 17:25

Strangely, after someone (you possibly) criticised Chandhok during testing, my dad (who isn't exactly known for embracing multiculturalism but who liked Chandhok) wondered if it was his accent that people didn't like.  TBQH, I don't recall him speaking in a monotonous drone much;n ideed, when Jones used to turn to him as the cars went out on their sighter lap to the grid, he was often quite animated.

I think I just predicted he'd be very dry. I don't dislike the guy (or what know of him from TV & the few times I've been around him). His accent doesn't bother me. I enjoy Indian accents and Indian culture in general. It's not that he's a bad guy. I just think it's a big downgrade at that spot in the Sky roster. He could probably be great in a different role - not replacing a guy who was the best at his role.

#326 cpbell

cpbell

• 2,223 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 17:28

I think I just predicted he'd be very dry. I don't dislike the guy (or what know of him from TV & the few times I've been around him). His accent doesn't bother me. I enjoy Indian accents and Indian culture in general. It's not that he's a bad guy. I just think it's a big downgrade at that spot in the Sky roster. He could probably be great in a different role - not replacing a guy who was the best at his role.

Sounds much like "F1 Mike" suggests - they need to find a way to use his strengths while cancelling-out some of his drier moments.  Channel 4 certainly used him in short bursts, other than Free Practice when he and Lee  used to wander through the paddock.  She seemed to bring-out his lighter side, actually; she'd persuade him to grab Team Principals etc. and ask awkward questions! 

Edited by cpbell, 16 March 2019 - 17:30.

#327 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,324 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 17:30

It's his encyclopedic knowledge of F1 history that gives the impression he knows what he's on about. Another comment during FP - he was obsessing over Ferrari running asymmetric brake cooling and how unusual that was, then when Crofty asked PdR about it he said it was normal, they did it all the time at FI.

One thing I noticed during FP was they seemed to rotate who was reporting from the pits.

Yeah I noticed that too. PdR probably realized mid-sentence that he was making Karun look a little bad there. :awkward: 

#328 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,324 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 17:32

Sounds much like "F1 Mike" suggests - they need to find a way to use his strengths while cancelling-out some of his drier moments.  Channel 4 certainly used him in short bursts, other than Free Practice when he and Lee  used to wander through the paddock.  She seemed to bring-out his lighter side, actually; she'd persuade him to grab Team Principals etc. and ask awkward questions! 

Yeah I think he has something to offer, just not in that role. They need Ted back for that spot.

#329 loki

loki

• 5,889 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 18:23

I'd reckon there are a great many of us, including some near 20 year veterans of the forum that didn't realize you were David Nelson.  I quite enjoy the broadcasting blog.

As far as the opening themes, nothing says contemporary demographic like a 42 year old classic rock song or a nearly decade old milquetoast pop song...

If they're after a younger demographic they're probably (as in definitely) going to need a music supervisor that's a bit more dialed into what the youngsters like.  Even though it's a couple years old at this point Monster's Recoil or Gymkana is a good example of appealing to a good deal of the under 35 crowd.

As for Kravitz I think it's better to have him on an F1 OTT production rather than Sky.  The audience will be wider and hopefully they'll be able to do things like virtual cars and describe the tech like NBC did with Matchett.  The Sky discussion of technology has been pretty shallow during the broadcast.

#330 Heyli

Heyli

• 2,795 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 20:30

Is there some segment on sky replacing the notebook...?

#331 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 702 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 20:52

Is there some segment on sky replacing the notebook...?

The Nopebook

#332 Scotracer

Scotracer
  • RC Forum Host

• 3,878 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 19:03

Chandhok is HORRID. Freaking unwatchable actually. Made me cringe everytime he spoke up and covered stuff. Where is TED.. totally missed his post qualifying notebook. Feel a huge piece missing from my coverage i got here in Canada.

Karun is great. He's the most insightful of the bunch. And I like his style.

#333 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,324 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 19:12

Karun is great. He's the most insightful of the bunch. 

Except when he's missing obvious things that end up being corrected by some of the less insightful guys around him.

#334 DaveG6HNI

DaveG6HNI

• 9 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 18:45

Well what can I say, I've just finished watching Ted's new mid-week show and it is not a patch on his Notebook.

I found it a bit stale, a bit dry, with just Ted & an uncomfortable Rob Smedley standing in a studio , there was a few tech bits, but not nearly enough. When they said they were going to compare Lewis & Valtteri's start I was expecting some great superimposed video and graphics, but no just a view of their helmets and a gear number, what a disappointment .

And those damn annoying flashing intro graphics again, when will they stop trying to make it like a child's video game !

#335 Paco

Paco

• 3,623 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 19:39

So Ted isnt on Skys broadcast afterall??? 

Was it just me or was Sky's broadcast just off all weekend?   Found it way forced and just not flowing, everyone seemed uncomfortable in the roles and what they were saying.

Definitely wasn't as sharp and very little insight to anything all weekend.

#336 messy

messy

• 3,771 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 19:42

Chandhok is absolutely fine, they just need to figure out how best to use him.
His deep knowledge of the sport's history is a big bonus to the team.
He's just not filling the role left by Ted's absence that's all

I think he's probably on the spectrum, he's a walking encyclopaedia who can't make eye contact with people.

I really like him.

#337 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,455 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 20:35

So Ted isnt on Skys broadcast afterall??? 

Read my post below from last Friday.

Ted is back with Sky in China.
Ted's new weekly show is an F1 production, which Sky is also airing.

#338 dave34m

dave34m

• 685 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 00:09

Has his new weekly show been on this week?

#339 loki

loki

• 5,889 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 04:34

Has his new weekly show been on this week?

Yes.  And he wears long pants...

EDIT:  Wowzer...  Played more like a community access cable show.  Smedley is knowledgable but needs some work feeling more comfortable.  The few tech bits they did had a lot of potential.  Kravitz is Kravitz.  If they're going to spend most of the time interviewing other journos it'll be a waste.  Buxton is a lot better at race and driver recap/performance.  Whomever chose the set and direction missed the mark.  It looks like they picked a producer suite at Biggin Hill and shoved two blokes in it to make a hostage video.  I'll give it until after Bahrain but if there's no improvement I'll cancel again this year and wait until next.  It's got potential but it's pretty poorly executed.

Edited by loki, 21 March 2019 - 07:58.

Advertisement

#340 DN5

DN5

• 392 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 09:51

Show Called: F1 Midweek Debrief.

Has the potential to be good given what they appear to have access to at FI media hq

#341 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 8,352 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 11:41

Much of Ted's appeal in the Notebook was his impromptu irreverence. Stifled here sadly.

#342 NorthEast

NorthEast

• 127 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 20:58

So, anyone know if the notebook is back for China? I can’t search along that far inTV listings...

#343 lbennie

lbennie

• 5,200 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 02:59

Chandok seems to not know what he's talking about. He's more of a historian than a technical insight guy imo.

#344 Spillage

Spillage

• 5,913 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 09:12

So, anyone know if the notebook is back for China? I can’t search along that far inTV listings...

Guess they need to free time for Johnny Herbert to guess his favourite Chinese animal.

#345 Marklar

Marklar

• 33,581 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 09:38

Notebook is no more I thought?

#346 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,031 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 10:12

So between them, Liberty and Sky have managed to remove the only actual decent part of Sky's broadcast, and take somebody away from a highly regarded and popular role and turn them into yet another slightly awkward presenter combo. ****ing great, lads and lasses. I'm so glad that you are all in charge of this and not somebody incompetent who might screw up the coverage of this. 

This is all really tempting me to take a long and expensive subscription to a Sky package. 

#347 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,175 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 14:41

As an aside was anybody else irritated by the myriad talking heads in the Sky coverage at Melbourne?

#348 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 1,414 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 16:09

So between them, Liberty and Sky have managed to remove the only actual decent part of Sky's broadcast, and take somebody away from a highly regarded and popular role and turn them into yet another slightly awkward presenter combo. ****ing great, lads and lasses. I'm so glad that you are all in charge of this and not somebody incompetent who might screw up the coverage of this. 

This is all really tempting me to take a long and expensive subscription to a Sky package. 

Ah, but it's a bargain. It's true, I've read it on the forum. Until recently, I thought the least inviting advert I'd ever seen was a roadside board emblazoned with: "Bag your own manure!" Then, while watching the excellent C4 highlights, there was an ad for Sky...

#349 loki

loki

• 5,889 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 17:27

How is that Liberty decided to axe Kravitz from Sky?  That was Sky's call.  If anything it's because F1 put Kravitz in another show that people will have more of him.  I'd agree the midweek show is pretty clunky but it has potential.

#350 GiorgioF1

GiorgioF1

• 737 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 18:18

So far Karun isnt filling Ted's shoes at all. Who the hell needs a dull guy with some knwledge of the F1 history instead of the awkwardness, bluntness and charisma that Ted was bringing each week? Like I care if he will correct someone that 20 years ago a driver crashed during fp1 or something like that. I had enough of him already last year with his Williams facebook live every week and now they replaced Ted with him... Such a dumb decision.